NYC Hotel Rooms During the Pope's Visit

fshagan

Usually my strategy is to book a hotel right before our cruise, taking advantage of deep discounts at any four star hotel on Priceline or Hotwire. But I'm second guessing myself on our upcoming trip into the city.

We'll be staying two nights in NYC prior to our cruise out of the Manhattan terminal. Hotels.com is showing several hotels in the Hell's Kitchen / Time Square areas booked already. This may just be their allotment of rooms but it has me a bit nervous.

Will NYC be impacted by the Pope's visit, with extra visitors to see him? I know the city takes these kinds of things in stride, but I'm wondering if the high hotel prices will remain high though out the visit.

Usually my strategy is to book a hotel right before our cruise, taking advantage of deep discounts at any four star hotel on Priceline or Hotwire. But I'm second guessing myself on our upcoming trip into the city.

We'll be staying two nights in NYC prior to our cruise out of the Manhattan terminal. Hotels.com is showing several hotels in the Hell's Kitchen / Time Square areas booked already. This may just be their allotment of rooms but it has me a bit nervous.

Will NYC be impacted by the Pope's visit, with extra visitors to see him? I know the city takes these kinds of things in stride, but I'm wondering if the high hotel prices will remain high though out the visit.

Manhattan hotels are generally outrageous in Sep because of fashion week and the UN General Assembly. Add the Pope to the mix and you've got the potential for total madness on Sep 25. What had you planned to do that day? What airport are you flying into?

Edited by 138east

We're flying in on Thursday from the west coast to Newark, arriving at 4 PM. We were thinking there's plenty to do in the city so we would start our vacation that night, rather than just staying in a hotel by Newark. On Friday, we hope to see Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty, and then also see a bit of Central Park (all three on my wife's list of things she wants to see). We check out on Saturday and go to the Manhattan port for our NCL cruise.

I went ahead and booked a refundable rate of $359 a night at the Holiday Inn at 440 W. 57th St (which is an easy walk to the terminal on Saturday). My plan is to keep an eye out on prices and if they dip go ahead and take a non-refundable if it's significantly cheaper.

I had thought about staying in Jersey City/Newport NJ and commuting in on Path; the Courtyard there is about $100 less per night and is close to the Path station. But I'm not sure $200 is worth the extra hassle. I've heard the area is safe, but I'm not sure about coming back late at night to our hotel on Path is safe so we'd be tempted to take taxis and I think that could eat up the savings anyway.

Are you aware that you can take the ferry from Jersey City to the SOL and Ellis Island? Lines are much shorter. I believe you can even get on the ferry to NYC from either Island.

I was not aware of that! Thanks. That could be an option then to stay in Jersey City and see both.

Yes - I have actually done that one way. I returned to the Courtyard from Liberty State Park via ferry and light rail. I can tell you exactly how to do it. DH, DD, DS, 6 mo old DGD, and I just showed up at Liberty State Park by car on a Sunday in early Sep about noon. The others went to Ellis Island, but I just took the round trip ferry ride and went back to the hotel by ferry and light rail for a nap before a big evening wedding.

I highly recommend the Courtyard. PATH is safe in the evening. The station is literally next door to the Courtyard and there were lots of people coming and going at all hours. You will love the Newport area with the boardwalk and views of NY.

Edited by 138east

Yes - I have actually done that one way. I returned to the Courtyard from Liberty State Park via ferry and light rail. I can tell you exactly how to do it. DH, DD, DS, 6 mo old DGD, and I just showed up at Liberty State Park by car on a Sunday in early Sep about noon. The others went to Ellis Island, but I just took the round trip ferry ride and went back to the hotel by ferry and light rail for a nap before a big evening wedding.

I highly recommend the Courtyard. PATH is safe in the evening. The station is literally next door to the Courtyard and there were lots of people coming and going at all hours. You will love the Newport area with the boardwalk and views of NY.

Thanks. I have the Courtyard on a price watch now. For the nights we want, it is about $75 per night cheaper than the booking we have in the city, but still comes in at $681 for the two nights. That's about 22% cheaper so it's certainly a consideration.

Thanks. I have the Courtyard on a price watch now. For the nights we want, it is about $75 per night cheaper than the booking we have in the city, but still comes in at $681 for the two nights. That's about 22% cheaper so it's certainly a consideration.

Candlewood Suites is $461 tax included for 9/24-9/26. PATH access is a bit further, but it's right at a light rail station.

We're now looking at just staying at EWR and taking the train into Manhattan; my co-worker said it was convenient when she did it last year. We'll probably get transportation directly to the port on Saturday.

We're now looking at just staying at EWR and taking the train into Manhattan; my co-worker said it was convenient when she did it last year. We'll probably get transportation directly to the port on Saturday.

Look at the Newark Penn Station Hilton and the Robert Treat in Newark where you will have direct access to the NJ Transit trains to midtown and PATH to downtown. Both hotels have an airport shuttle.

If you stay at an airport hotel, you will have to take the hotel shuttle to the P4 Airtrain station, the Airtrain to the Newark Airport Station, and the train to NYC for $12.50/pp or train and Path to downtown for $8.25 + $2.75/pp. Train from Newark Penn Station to NYC is $5 and PATH is $2.75. It takes about an hour+ to make all the connections on this trip.

Look at the Newark Penn Station Hilton and the Robert Treat in Newark where you will have direct access to the NJ Transit trains to midtown and PATH to downtown. Both hotels have an airport shuttle.

If you stay at an airport hotel, you will have to take the hotel shuttle to the P4 Airtrain station, the Airtrain to the Newark Airport Station, and the train to NYC for $12.50/pp or train and Path to downtown for $8.25 + $2.75/pp. Train from Newark Penn Station to NYC is $5 and PATH is $2.75. It takes about an hour+ to make all the connections on this trip.

Yeah, I was looking on line and it looks like a lot more hassle than my co-worker indicated (she obviously has a higher hassle tolerance level than I do!)

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate the tips on the NYC area.

Here's my review of the Robert Treat, which I stayed at in Jan. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2164210&highlight=robert+treat

I would stay there again. Price per night for your dates is about $124-138 tax included on aa.com. Cab several blocks to and from Newark Penn Station is an inexpensive option if the shuttle timing is off.

The Newark Penn Station Hilton has a sky bridge walkway connecting it to Newark Penn Station.

I want to thank you again for your tips and the link to the hotel review! We booked the Robert Treat for $112 a night on AARP ... the lowest rate was $104 but I decided to splurge for the king bed instead of the queen.

That's a far cry from the rates in the city at more than $400 a night (after taxes etc.) Instead of being at $830 we are at $258 with taxes, and near the train station for commuting into the city. Even if we decide we don't want to schlep our luggage on the train and through Penn Station in NYC and end up using a van or car service we'll be quite a bit of money ahead.

Sounds like a plan. Just be sure to take the hotel shuttle or a taxi to and from Newark Penn Station.

If you're 62 or older, the senior train fare to NYC is $2.25. PATH fare is $2.75 (difficult to get a senior Smartlink card).

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainTo

http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html

http://www.panynj.gov/path/full-schedules.html

I'm glad a thread about the Pope's visit was started. If you are planning to travel from JFK or LGA into Manhattan the day(s) the Pope is in NYC, especially the date he is visiting the U.N. plan on much more time for travel. There will be a full lock down of certain streets on the East Side.

Staying in NJ you will avoid the East Side crossings and have no need to go "crosstown", avoiding most of the lockdowns and gridlock it causes.

If you are arriving via JFK, consider using the Air Train to the LIRR which will bring you into NY Penn Station. From there you can take a cab, subway or even walk to your hotel in Manhattan.

Sounds like a plan. Just be sure to take the hotel shuttle or a taxi to and from Newark Penn Station.

If you're 62 or older, the senior train fare to NYC is $2.25. PATH fare is $2.75 (difficult to get a senior Smartlink card).

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainTo

http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html

http://www.panynj.gov/path/full-schedules.html

I'm familiar with the area's reputation! I used to work for a company in Elizabeth and stayed there frequently about 18 years ago. Your review and also the ones on Trip Advisor said the hotel shuttle will run frequently to Penn Station, so that sealed the deal for us. (Our next best plan was the Courtyard at the airport and a car, but I'd rather not deal with a car if I don't have to).

PATH can get us close to Liberty Park for the Ellis Island and SOL tour that you pointed out. We'll evaluate it to see if we want to take our luggage on it to Penn Station NY and then a cab to the port on Saturday, or if we'll just use a car service. We took the train from Vancouver airport into downtown Vancouver on our last cruise out of there and it was a piece of cake.

I'm glad a thread about the Pope's visit was started. If you are planning to travel from JFK or LGA into Manhattan the day(s) the Pope is in NYC, especially the date he is visiting the U.N. plan on much more time for travel. There will be a full lock down of certain streets on the East Side.

Staying in NJ you will avoid the East Side crossings and have no need to go "crosstown", avoiding most of the lockdowns and gridlock it causes.

If you are arriving via JFK, consider using the Air Train to the LIRR which will bring you into NY Penn Station. From there you can take a cab, subway or even walk to your hotel in Manhattan.

I think he is addressing the UN on Friday, and then leaving the city. I wonder how much of an impact it will have on traffic on Saturday morning (the day our cruise leaves out of the Manhattan terminal). Most of the people on our roll call are staying on the west side or at least around Penn Station.

I'm familiar with the area's reputation! I used to work for a company in Elizabeth and stayed there frequently about 18 years ago. Your review and also the ones on Trip Advisor said the hotel shuttle will run frequently to Penn Station, so that sealed the deal for us. (Our next best plan was the Courtyard at the airport and a car, but I'd rather not deal with a car if I don't have to).

PATH can get us close to Liberty Park for the Ellis Island and SOL tour that you pointed out. We'll evaluate it to see if we want to take our luggage on it to Penn Station NY and then a cab to the port on Saturday, or if we'll just use a car service. We took the train from Vancouver airport into downtown Vancouver on our last cruise out of there and it was a piece of cake.

To go to Ellis Island and the SOL from Newark, take PATH to World Trade and walk, take a Broadway bus to South a Ferry, or take a cab. The light rail station at Liberty State park is a long walk from the SOL ferry. If you were staying in Jersey City, the light rail to Essex and walk to the Warren St. Ferry would leave you close to the SOL ferry. Are you buying SOL tickets ahead?

When you're going through Newark Penn Station, find the elevators up to the train platforms. There are escalators, but not much help if they're going the wrong way. Probably not an issue since the escalators should always be going up to the platforms.

The Robert Treat shuttle was scheduled on the hour and on the half hour from the hotel. Tell them ahead what time you want to leave and where you want to go.

I think he is addressing the UN on Friday, and then leaving the city. I wonder how much of an impact it will have on traffic on Saturday morning (the day our cruise leaves out of the Manhattan terminal). Most of the people on our roll call are staying on the west side or at least around Penn Station.

The schedule for his visit was just released. It's at the end of this article:

http://7online.com/religion/where-will-pope-francis-be-during-his-nyc-visit-his-full-schedule/817806/

Since he's scheduled to depart from JFK at 8:40 am on 9/26 there shouldn't be any impact on traffic that day during the hours when people will be traveling to and from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.

Edited by njhorseman

Are folks coming in for precruise? He's also giving a mass at Madison Square Garden.

To go to Ellis Island and the SOL from Newark, take PATH to World Trade and walk, take a Broadway bus to South a Ferry, or take a cab. The light rail station at Liberty State park is a long walk from the SOL ferry. If you were staying in Jersey City, the light rail to Essex and walk to the Warren St. Ferry would leave you close to the SOL ferry. Are you buying SOL tickets ahead?

When you're going through Newark Penn Station, find the elevators up to the train platforms. There are escalators, but not much help if they're going the wrong way. Probably not an issue since the escalators should always be going up to the platforms.

The Robert Treat shuttle was scheduled on the hour and on the half hour from the hotel. Tell them ahead what time you want to leave and where you want to go.

The Pope is scheduled to have an inter faith service at the WTC site the day we are there. So I don't want to be anywhere near there at that time (no offense to the Pope! ) we'll have to get there from the NJ side that day. We may ship it altogether if things are a madhouse there.

The Pope is scheduled to have an inter faith service at the WTC site the day we are there. So I don't want to be anywhere near there at that time (no offense to the Pope! ) we'll have to get there from the NJ side that day. We may ship it altogether if things are a madhouse there.

Oops. Missed the timing for the Pope at the WTC.

So take PATH to Exchange Place. Either walk the 9 blocks to the ferry or take the light rail 4 blocks to Essex St and walk the 5 blocks to the ferry or see if you can snag a cab for the short ride.

http://www.libertylandingferry.com/ticket-fares.aspx

Ferries leave every half hour. Fare is $2.

By the time you do the SOL, the pope will be gone, so you can return on a ferry to Manhattan if you like. No one cares if you go back to NJ or NY.

Exchange Place and a cab to the ferry makes sense to me! Thanks. For the benefit of others:

Here's the schedule for the Pope according to this (unofficial) site http://www.popefrancisvisit.com/sche...york-schedule/

• Thursday, 9/24: The Pope arrives at JFK at around 5 PM.
  • Thursday, 9/24: The Pope will attend evening prayers at St. Patrick's at 6:45 PM. St. Patrick's is on 5th Street and East 50th
  • Friday, 9/25 at 8:30 AM: The Pope will address the UN General Assembly, on the east side
  • Friday, 9/25 at 11:30 AM: The Pope will hold a multi-religious service at the 9/11 Memorial and WTC site at the southern tip of Manhattan. If you're planning on visiting the SOL and Ellis Island it would be better to not try to do it at this time.
  • Friday, 9/25 at 4 PM: The Pope may visit the Our Lady Queen of Angels in East Harlem
  • Friday, 9/25 at 6 PM - 7:30 PM: The Pope will hold services at Madison Square Garden, located midtown at 4 Pennsylvania Ave.
  • Saturday, 9/26 at 8:40 AM: The Pope will depart JFK for Philadelphia, PA

I don't know much about the cab service in Jersey City, but the Hyatt is right at Exchange Place and they may be able to get one for you.

Thank you for all of your help in navigating the NYC transportation system. I was overwhelmed at the complexity of the NYC ways to get around the city and NJ. Being from Southern CA, public transportation is so far behind the east coast. I am so glad that Frank is dealing with this part of the trip.