Haleakala Sunrise Self Drive Questions

bebe25

Hi there,

We will be arriving in Kahului on PoA and we are planning to drive up to Healeakala for the sunrise on our second day in Maui. I have read that sunrise will be at 6:27 am for the time we're visiting. It takes approx. 1.5hrs to get to the summit from Kahului. My questions are:

1) If we leave at 4am, will we be able to find parking? If not, how early should we get there to secure a parking spot?

2) Is it easy to leave the ship this early in the morning? I've never left a ship this early before so don't know how it works.

3) What's the best way to get breakfast (muffin or bagel/hot beverage) before heading out? Room service or the diner that's opened 24/7?

4) When should we head down from Haleakala to avoid the cyclists?

Thanks!

We did this via a tour bus, so I can't help with the parking thing. Just want to remind you to DRESS WARM..it was 28F and WINDY when we were there....it's freaking freezing at the summit!

The bikers start down right after sunrise....there's little way to avoid them, as some are slower than others! It's not a huge deal...they'll be riding on the side of the road!

Edited by cb at sea

I've gone for the sunrise twice & to get the most amazing effect arrive well before official sunrise. It was great to see the dark sky begin sunrise with a golden glow on the horizon...the closest we'll get to viewing a sunrise from space. After the sun rises it's okay but not nearly as dramatic as the 1st rays of sunlight in the dark sky. For a 6:27 sunrise I would arrive by 5:30 to park & not miss anything. The upper lot is smaller but has a plexiglass enclosed viewing room to minimize the chill before going outside.

As 'cb at sea' posted it's COLD...it is 30 degrees cooler than at sea level & add the windchill and BURR!

Edited by Astro Flyer

Thanks for the heads up! I read many posts about how cold it gets at the summit. Definitely bringing my scarf and gloves. As for leaving the ship, we'll aim to leave at 3:30 am.

If you haven't viewed the Haleakala NP website there is helpful info there also: http://www.nps.gov/hale/planyourvisit/sunrise-and-sunset.htm

Have an amazing experience! :D

We did this one year in November and thankfully we flew in from Seattle so we had warm clothes. It was 34 degrees at the summit and it feels colder as you have been in the warm weather for a few days. We had on blue jeans, hoodie sweatshirts, stocking caps, scarves and we were still cold. But we had a great time.

We left from Kaanapali so we had to leave earlier. I think we left about 3am and we waited about 20 minutes or so in the car before we got out as it was still dark. Better to be early than late, you can always wait in a warm car. :)

The surprising thing for me is how many people there was up there. It was a Thursday in early November with no cruise ship in port and still there was several hundred people.

Have fun and take plenty of pictures. :D

16405829995_e1eec65ec1_b.jpg

15785781303_469359438b_b.jpg

I was there over an hour prior to the posted sunrise as well, which is a good ball park estimate. The lot was completely full, so I would speculate some people couldn't get out of their cars. There were some parked along the road. I agree there is no way to avoid the bikers, just take your time driving down. My trip was in Feb, so I had my winter coat which I've also worn up there during the day. :) Use it also on Mauna Kea. :)

You just walk off the ship like you would at any other time, with a key card swipe. Room service is available for a fee. I didn't bother eating before I left and made a nice meal purchase when I returned.

We were there in Dec, as we were on holiday, we did not want to get up that early and fight the crowds at the top. We made it to the top in the middle of the day, a beautiful drive not to be missed.

We saw a beautiful view driving up and at the top, it was wonderful.

I personally think the sunrise drive is over rated, but not having done the getting up at 4 am and driving in the dark up very narrow switching unfamilier roads, I cannot forsure say what the hipe is all about :-)

We got to the top around 12 noonish, there were no crowds, parking was very easy and even going up and down, not a lot of cyclists.. we did see some, but it being daylight, it was very easy to spot them and drive around them.

I read on here to bring all the warm clothes which we did and it was not so cold up there after all. So I feel I packed all the super warm clothes for nothing. We did not go hiking around there for hours. We spend maybe 30 minutes up there at the most between the 2 places where you can park and get out and walk around a bit.

Next time I will not pack all that warm clothes, its not that cold up there.. but do bring a hoodie and scarf and mitts and maybe another light long sleeve top, dress in layers. My hubbie was very comfortable just in his hoodie and jeans.

If you have vehicle, do the drive, its very beautiful up there. I will not be comfortable driving it in the dark at night, it was very scenic during the day light hours and we saw so much going up and down. Loved it !

Edited by KollaCruise

KollaCruise...excellent points to be considered however if you had an unobstructed view of the crater without any clouds you were fortunate. I can see the summit from my house & by noon on most days clouds cover the summit. NO...my vision isn't that good to view it from SoCal but from our South Maui "hale" (house). ;)

The switchback road to the summit didn't bother me in the dark & I could see headlights of the few approaching downhill vehicles. Although if there are clouds along the way the fog makes the drive more "challenging". :p

Overrated isn't a term I've read often to describe the experience from those of us who have experienced it...it's like a sunrise from space. I've done it twice but it's too cold to do it again unless we have guests who want to experience it. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

We were there in Dec, as we were on holiday, we did not want to get up that early and fight the crowds at the top. We made it to the top in the middle of the day, a beautiful drive not to be missed.

We saw a beautiful view driving up and at the top, it was wonderful.

I personally think the sunrise drive is over rated, but not having done the getting up at 4 am and driving in the dark up very narrow switching unfamilier roads, I cannot forsure say what the hipe is all about :-)

We got to the top around 12 noonish, there were no crowds, parking was very easy and even going up and down, not a lot of cyclists.. we did see some, but it being daylight, it was very easy to spot them and drive around them.

I read on here to bring all the warm clothes which we did and it was not so cold up there after all. So I feel I packed all the super warm clothes for nothing. We did not go hiking around there for hours. We spend maybe 30 minutes up there at the most between the 2 places where you can park and get out and walk around a bit.

Next time I will not pack all that warm clothes, its not that cold up there.. but do bring a hoodie and scarf and mitts and maybe another light long sleeve top, dress in layers. My hubbie was very comfortable just in his hoodie and jeans.

If you have vehicle, do the drive, its very beautiful up there. I will not be comfortable driving it in the dark at night, it was very scenic during the day light hours and we saw so much going up and down. Loved it !

My wife and I have been up to the summit both in the middle of the day and at sunrise. They give two totally different perspectives and if you get the chance at some time to both I would recommend it.

Your comment about sunrise being over rated is interesting since you have not done it. :rolleyes:

I've gone for the sunrise twice & to get the most amazing effect arrive well before official sunrise. It was great to see the dark sky begin sunrise with a golden glow on the horizon...the closest we'll get to viewing a sunrise from space. After the sun rises it's okay but not nearly as dramatic as the 1st rays of sunlight in the dark sky. For a 6:27 sunrise I would arrive by 5:30 to park & not miss anything. The upper lot is smaller but has a plexiglass enclosed viewing room to minimize the chill before going outside.

As 'cb at sea' posted it's COLD...it is 30 degrees cooler than at sea level & add the windchill and BURR!

Thanks Astro Flyer. With limited parking at the summit, will we be able to find parking if we get there by 5:30am? We will be there in mid march, not sure if that makes a difference :). Is the sunrise viewing better at the summit than from the Haleakala Visitor Centre?

I was there over an hour prior to the posted sunrise as well, which is a good ball park estimate. The lot was completely full, so I would speculate some people couldn't get out of their cars. There were some parked along the road. I agree there is no way to avoid the bikers, just take your time driving down. My trip was in Feb, so I had my winter coat which I've also worn up there during the day. :) Use it also on Mauna Kea. :)

You just walk off the ship like you would at any other time, with a key card swipe. Room service is available for a fee. I didn't bother eating before I left and made a nice meal purchase when I returned.

Thanks Budget Queen :). That's very helpful. I figure it wouldn't be a problem leaving the ship.

Thanks Astro Flyer. With limited parking at the summit, will we be able to find parking if we get there by 5:30am? We will be there in mid march, not sure if that makes a difference :). Is the sunrise viewing better at the summit than from the Haleakala Visitor Centre?

There are two Haleakala NP visitor centers...the lower one (3,000') where they collect the fee ($10/vehicle; valid 3 days including Kipahulu's O'heo Gulch AKA 7 Sacred pools...many more pools & never sacred) & the one near the summit with more parking. The summit has a building (glass enclosed decent size hut that's open on one side but still gets you out of the wind) but more limited parking availability.

When landing yesterday afternoon Haleakala was cloud free due to the Kona (southwest) winds from an approaching cold front (a very relative term in the tropics & "only" the upper 70s today). Thus there are clouds at about the 5,000 foot elevation but from sea level cannot see if the summit is above the clouds.

I'd highly recommend viewing the HNP websites:

http://www.nps.gov/hale/index.htm

http://www.nps.gov/hale/planyourvisit/weather.htm

http://www.nps.gov/hale/planyourvisit/sunrise-and-sunset.htm

http://www.nps.gov/hale/faqs.htm

Here's today's forecast:

Today

Mostly sunny. Windy. Isolated showers in the morning... Then scattered showers in the afternoon. Highs around 63 at the visitor center to around 56 at the summit. West winds 30 to 35 mph. Chance of rain 40 percent.

Tonight

Partly cloudy in the evening then becoming mostly cloudy. Windy. Scattered showers. Lows around 45 at the visitor center to around 41 at the summit. West winds 30 to 35 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent.

Edited by Astro Flyer

• 1 month later...

Here's an article about recent snow at Haleakala including a couple of videos & photos:

http://mauinow.com/2015/03/11/video-haleakala-snow-twice-in-a-week/

For anyone who would like to view the Discovery Channel's video of a Haleakala sunrise here it is without snow (47:55):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M1kZ9oZxZs#action=share

• 3 months later...

Local Maui news reports the following closure of the road to the summit of Haleakala:

The roads will be closed to visitors from 10 p.m. on Wednesday, June 24, through 2 p.m. on Thursday, June 25, 2015.

The summit will not be accessible for sunrise viewing on Thursday, June 25, 2015.

http://mauinow.com/2015/06/18/haleakala-summit-road-to-close-for-wide-load-convoy-to-telescope/

Edited by Astro Flyer

The price of the entrance fee to Haleakala & Kipahulu for the standard 3-day pass has increased from $10 to $15 per vehicle and also at Volcanoes National Park on the Big Island.

The fees will continue to rise to $20 in 2016 and then $25 in 2017.

Thanks for the fee update AstroFlyer - if going to both Haleakala NP and Volcanoes NP it would be worth getting the Hawaii Tri-Park $25. annual pass (it also includes Puʻuhonua ʻO Hōnaunau National Historical Park south of Kailua Kona).

Thanks for the fee update AstroFlyer - if going to both Haleakala NP and Volcanoes NP it would be worth getting the Hawaii Tri-Park $25. annual pass (it also includes Puʻuhonua ʻO Hōnaunau National Historical Park south of Kailua Kona).

You're welcome & thanks for mentioning the Tri-Park pass which will also increase in price.

"The price of the pass will remain $25 through the end of 2016, but the park service plans to increase its cost to $30 in 2017".

http://www.hawaiimagazine.com/content/admission-prices-rise-two-popular-hawaii-national-parks

When these increases were discussed in the Maui News several months ago, I think they had a Kama'aina rate. We don't go that often & even when Ohana visit they've already been there so the pass may still not be cost-effective for me.

Further research shows the $15/vehicle pass will now be valid for 7 days instead of 3 days.

http://khon2.com/2015/05/20/fees-to-increase-at-hawaii-volcanoes-haleakala-national-parks/

And the yearly Tri-Park pass for all 3 Hawaiian NPs that charge entrance fees (Haleakalā National Park which includes Kipahulu, Hawaiʻi Volcanoes National Park and Puʻuhonua ʻO Hōnaunau National Historical Park) is available to anyone & the Kama'aina rate is a misnomer: "The annual Tri-Park Pass, considered by many as the kamaaina, or residents pass".

Edited by Astro Flyer

Hi there,

We will be arriving in Kahului on PoA and we are planning to drive up to Healeakala for the sunrise on our second day in Maui. I have read that sunrise will be at 6:27 am for the time we're visiting. It takes approx. 1.5hrs to get to the summit from Kahului. My questions are:

1) If we leave at 4am, will we be able to find parking? If not, how early should we get there to secure a parking spot?

2) Is it easy to leave the ship this early in the morning? I've never left a ship this early before so don't know how it works.

3) What's the best way to get breakfast (muffin or bagel/hot beverage) before heading out? Room service or the diner that's opened 24/7?

Thanks!

** We left at 3:00am and had sufficient parking spaces available but it filled up FAST!

** Probably room service for breakfast

** After the sunrise, do not rush to leave. It is not important just to see the sunrise. It is also very very very memorable to see what happens after the sunrise...everything that slowly comes into the view...the gorgeous scenery that you would have never thought was there when it was dark. We spent at least an hour and half after sunset just sitting there and were astonished at how many people left.

Hi there,

Thanks!

The switchback road to the summit didn't bother me in the dark & I could see headlights of the few approaching downhill vehicles. Although if there are clouds along the way the fog makes the drive more "challenging". :p

Aloha :D

I think leaving the ship at 3am is a very good idea. The drive is very dark, the road winds, and there weren't too many guardrails when I was last on Maui. 3am gives you a cushion of time to get to the parking lot. Better to be early than late. I feel the view is better from the summit which has the smaller parking lot, and even when there isn't a ship full of cruiser, there is always a crowd waiting for the first rays of sunlight.

Call NCL and ask if they will pack you breakfast and coffee for a drive up to Haleakala. If they won't, you are probably picking up your car the day you arrive in port and driving over to Lahaina for the day. Pick up something to take the next morning for breakfast before returning to the ship. Kahului and Wailuku are the two main towns for the local residents that don't work in the resort areas.

Make sure you dress warm in layers. Don't forget that it is 30 degrees colder on the mountain at night (could be 25-45 degrees on Haleakala in March. Sometimes it will snow on the mountain). You want to take layers off when you reach the bottom of Haleakala because even in winter it will feel hot to you.

Don't be in a hurry to get down after the sun rises. Watch the sun burn off the clouds and enjoy the scenery on the way down. That is why you are driving up or down Haleakala. East of the town of Kahului are some sand beaches where you can swim in the ocean before heading back to Kahului Harbor or you can drive over to to Maalaea Harbor which is on the coast south of Kahului. You drive past it on the way to Lahaina.

Aloha :D