Recommendations for a multi family cruise to Alaska

tedescokid

My parents are thinking of taking our entire family (14 - 7 adults, 7 kids ages 3 - 15) on an Alaskan cruise next summer. I've been reading through reports, reviews and am a bit overwhelmed. They were thinking of Disney as we did that about 4 years ago to the Bahamas. However, with what I'm reading I'm thinking the significant cost difference of Disney doesn't really make sense.

So my questions are:

1) Is Disney worth the difference for Alaska? For a group this big, it's going to be about $5k which is a lot.

2) I can't figure out which cruises go through Glacier Bay - both the DCL and RCCL 7 day cruises don't go to Glacier Bay. Is this true? Will it have to a longer cruise.

3) Are the cruise lines besides DCL and RCCL good for younger kids?

Thanks

Princess, HAL, and some NCL cruises go to Glacier Bay. RCCL and Celebrity and the other lines do not have any permits for Glacier Bay. Carnival has the rare cruise that visits Glacier Bay. All of the lines have kids programs if your child is 3 or over. Carnival takes them at 2. If you want to see who visits Glacier Bay go to http://www.cruisetimetables.com and choose Glacier from the second list of ports - Destinations. EM

We just came back from a multi family trip to Alaska. We went on Princess which cruised Glacier Bay. Some years ago they had taken us all on a Disney Cruise when the kids were much younger. This time around the age range was 8-15. My kids didn't use the teen room but my nephew used the younger kids' room and enjoyed it.

I saw some younger kids on this cruise. I don't think the activities were as varied as what Disney offers but do you think you'll be making use of those activities or spend more time on excursions around Alaska?

Also, I don't think Disney cruises through Glacier Bay.

Thoughts....

• choose DCL
    • for the kids.... they will be snorting so much pixie dust, they don't care about your credit card bills
    • for great $89/gb internet (24Mbps)
    • for first run movies
    • for drinks
    • for BYOB in your carry-on's

[*]choose HAL/Princess

• for savings
    • for Glacier Bay
    • If you want to see Tracy/Sawyer.... HAL/Princess offer mid-cruise transfers for this additional glacier viewing and drop you off in Juneau
    • for Anchorage itineries
    • HAL offers photo packages, Princess does not. This can be significant savings if you like the cruise photographers
    • HAL offers Denali combo that allows you to explore the Yukon and return on another ship in Anchorage
    • Princess offers more quad rooms than HAL when I went looking for a cruise. Others might get a different experience.

[YOUTUBE]B0dplvMRQHQ[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]LyOFAKRjcpo[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]NHqJf6Un5-U[/YOUTUBE]

My parents are thinking of taking our entire family (14 - 7 adults, 7 kids ages 3 - 15) on an Alaskan cruise next summer. I've been reading through reports, reviews and am a bit overwhelmed. They were thinking of Disney as we did that about 4 years ago to the Bahamas. However, with what I'm reading I'm thinking the significant cost difference of Disney doesn't really make sense.

So my questions are:

1) Is Disney worth the difference for Alaska? For a group this big, it's going to be about $5k which is a lot.

2) I can't figure out which cruises go through Glacier Bay - both the DCL and RCCL 7 day cruises don't go to Glacier Bay. Is this true? Will it have to a longer cruise.

3) Are the cruise lines besides DCL and RCCL good for younger kids?

Thanks

IMHO Mouse experience is way overpriced and Alaska ain't where to spend it.

For most versatility / value I'd go Princess / Hal. If you got kids / younger than migrate to Princess.

Glacier Bay is a must IMHO!

I have only direct experience with HAL and NCL to Alaska. I will definitely give the nod to NCL for a multi-generational trip. HAL caters to a more mature cruiser (i.e. it costs more and, IMO, is more reserved in it's atmosphere and on board activities/dining). The NCL Pearl cruises through Glacier Bay and offers the Freestyle concept which is a nice compliment to the laid back, relaxing nature of an Alaska cruise. The demographic of the cruisers leans toward middle class families...at least in my experience. My kids have cruised NCL since age 2 (now 14) and have enjoyed the kids programming at every age. They look forward to meeting kids from all over the world, as well the cultural diversity of the counselors.

Good luck in your decision!

I would avoid Disney in Alaska. It is overpriced and doesn't have the best itinerary.

Stick with Glacier Bay. Holland America and Princess both handle multiple generation cruises well. I give an edge to Princess with kids.

RCCL does not have permits to go to Glacier Bay.

Edited by Casey12

Has Glacier Bay already been selected? Or is it just a consideration? (feel compelled to book it due to "reports"?).

I don't find a lot of difference in demographics on ANY of the major cruiselines sailing Alaska. Kids are on all of them.

I would suggest the group determines how they are going to spend their time in port and what activities will be chosen. "Group" touring may be a mistake, because of the likely varied interests, split up. This may impact what port times you want. Also may determine budget of the cruise costs.

You are missing a more fundamental group question - how are you going to handle the group dynamics. Are you going to have enforced group togetherness for the entire day or are people in the group going to do their own thing during the day? Is everyone going to be forced to eat together every night for dinner or will people eat together or by themselves as the desire?

I have never traveled with as large a group as yours and I personally am not sure that I would want to. However, the few times I have traveled with family, we do what you can call the groupless group. During the day, people do what they want with whomever they want to do it with. We try to have dinner together most nights but if some of us want to eat with our spouses or with spouses and kids, they are not excommunicated from the group.,

I find too much togetherness suffocating.

DON

Our family of 4 just cruised Alaska last summer on NCL.

This summer, we are cruising with our family of 15. My in-laws are celebrating their 50th anniversary.

8 adults and 7 kids (ages 11-18).

We are cruising NCL again, although this time on the Pearl.

I decided to go with NCL for a few reasons:

1. Glacier Bay - since we just cruised Alaska last summer, I wanted to be sure my family had something a little different to see while still cruising RT out of Seattle (we live 30 minutes from Seattle - key factor in choosing a cruise this time around - haha)

2. Age split for kids clubs. On Carnival, the youngest two girls would have been split up (and they are cousin buddies) and the two boys would have been split up (another pairing of cousin buddies).

3. Freestyle - we can choose to eat together as a big group a few nights, but then easily do our own thing at our own time a few nights.

4. Cost - I would have loved Disney, but couldn't justify the cost. DCL killed NCL in adult nighttime entertainment (in my limited experience, lol :rolleyes:) But I liked the NCL itinerary and we got a great deal on the price. And I do enjoy the NCL entertainment. (I did a few contracts on NCL back in the day and have a soft spot for the line).

Tip: If you decide to visit Mendenhall Glacier as a group...think about renting a 15 passenger van. The shuttle service is $20 per person roundtrip. I rented a 15 pax van for $161...that's a big savings and we can dictate our time instead of worrying about the shuttle service. Last year, I can't remember the circumstances, but something about the last shuttle offered, and we were literally running on the trail back to the shuttle pick up.

Have fun!