Your Opinion on Labadee

Midwestgal

Labadee is really a peninsula with the port side on a bay having calm water, a nice beach, and nice view of the ship. The other side on the sea with more of a rocky bottom and more surf. Water shoes not required at Columbus Cove and Nellies on the bay side. All attractions are over-priced, so avoid them unless money is no object or you just must zip line. BBQ lunch is the same at all open eating areas (ribs and mild jerk chicken) and I'm a huge fan of the lunch. Suite guests get a fancy-shmancy lunch, but not the BBQ - they are really missing out on that experience. Bar guys that roam the pool will roam the beach with frozen drinks, but bar service and BBQ stops around 2pm when they all clean up and head back to the ship for dinner service.

• 2 weeks later...

We were at Labadee last week and loved it. We chose to sit on the beaches viewing the zip line hoping for fewer kids and were mostly successful. We had a great breeze, some sun and some shade. The other side of the island was packed and much hotter because there was no breeze when we walked around. Lots of kids there also, probably because the water is calmer. You do need water shoes, it is rocky. Lunch lines were very long so get there early or wait until you go back to the ship.

The water was very clear at Columbus Beach in the morning. You could see your feet as you stood shoulder depth. However, as the day goes on any water/sand gets stirred up and it's no longer clear. The bottom is sandy so you don't need water shoes in the water but will on the walk to there. There was no sea weed either. It's totally possible to by-pass the local vendors if you'd like. We like this beach better than Coco Cay.

OKAAAAY, please forgive my ignorance. With as many RC cruises as I've done, Labadee will be a "first" for me next year on Freedom. I foolishly thought that the zipline and the coaster were part of the "Labadee experience"...LOL. Clearly, I was wrong. I'm gathering from some posts that those are over-priced side activities that are optional? Exactly how much do they cost, if someone can tell me?

Also, what is the Haitian market like and are they overpriced in your opinion?

I really want to like this place as I do Coco Cay, but the reviews vary so much. Thanks for any info!

Hi CJ - you will love Labadee, it really is a cool place. It's true the zip line and coaster are extra - you can find current pricing on RCI's website, and yes, it's expensive but If that's your thing it may be worth it. The market is full of local vendors and they are pretty pushy, but there are some really nice things and you need to be prepared to do a bit is

OKAAAAY, please forgive my ignorance. With as many RC cruises as I've done, Labadee will be a "first" for me next year on Freedom. I foolishly thought that the zipline and the coaster were part of the "Labadee experience"...LOL. Clearly, I was wrong. I'm gathering from some posts that those are over-priced side activities that are optional? Exactly how much do they cost, if someone can tell me?

Also, what is the Haitian market like and are they overpriced in your opinion?

I really want to like this place as I do Coco Cay, but the reviews vary so much. Thanks for any info!

Labadee is great! One of our favorite ports on both RC and Celebrity. It is larger then Coco Cay. We really like the Cabana's, but now you must be in a suite to book in advance. If you have the unlimited drink package, you can use it at the bars on the Island. The activities such as the water park and zipeline do cost additional. Never went on them so I am not sure of the cost. The Haitian market is a straw market- not unlike other islands have. You walk around an indoor/outdoor area and booths selling all kinds of "hand made" (some actually from china as I have seen tags not removed) and tee shirts, dolls, jewelry ,art work and other misc items for purchase. The items are inexpensive but you can bargain with the seller and also look at another booth for a better deal. The people selling these items are poor- so we do not bargain too much. They also have native entertainment around the straw market and barbecue areas.

You also have a barbecue similar to Coco Cay. I really like the beach especially Nellies Beach. If you are in a suite, you can go to Bare foot Beach which is also nice. If you want other beaches that are less crowded they are available a little further away from the ship. You can take a ride on the open air trams. You can rent chairs and umbrellas and "noodles and floating mats".

Enjoy the day.

Edited by Cruise a holic

Labadee is really a peninsula with the port side on a bay having calm water, a nice beach, and nice view of the ship. The other side on the sea with more of a rocky bottom and more surf. Water shoes not required at Columbus Cove and Nellies on the bay side. All attractions are over-priced, so avoid them unless money is no object or you just must zip line. BBQ lunch is the same at all open eating areas (ribs and mild jerk chicken) and I'm a huge fan of the lunch. Suite guests get a fancy-shmancy lunch, but not the BBQ - they are really missing out on that experience. Bar guys that roam the pool will roam the beach with frozen drinks, but bar service and BBQ stops around 2pm when they all clean up and head back to the ship for dinner service.

we were in a suite and had a fancy schmancy barbecue lunch on labadee. It included shrimp and steak in addition to the usual barbecue foodstuffs. Really enjoyed. the lunch wasn't the same when we didn't have a suite or cabana

The zipline *IS* pricy, but the coaster isn't too bad; and a lot of fun.

There isn't much snorkeling right off the beach. I took an excursion that rook us several miles down the coast to a small island off shore. The reef there was fantastic! (We also had time to cruise into a bay to take a look at some of the local's boats coming back in from fishing.)

Aloha,

John

Where in Labadee do I want to go for lounge chairs and floats for the water? I have never been there, so how do you get there from the ship? Bbq is for everyone? Close to where my floats would be? I will not be a suite guest.

Edited by 1bets1

We will be in Labadee for the 6th time in a couple weeks.

The first time all beaches were open to all.

Then the second time we were their Suite Beach appeared at Barefoot beach. We have been fortunate to sail in suites so have enjoyed the beach and BBQ.

We have done the zip line, roller coaster and jet skis and we will be doing the jet skis for the third time this August.

We now avoid the water slide on land, what a gimmick and over priced slide, it should be free for as slow as it goes.

Yea some stuff maybe pricey but, we enjoy doing summer activities more so after the winter we had!!!

Sea Ya

The floatie mats will be made available at a shack near the beaches, and the chair attendants will bring them to you for a small tip, note, they are not free, it will be charged to your sea pass.

Also the BBqs are at different sides of the beach area, get their early, lines are long.

Later

So I'll be able to get floats (and bbq) at Columbus and or Nellies? I'm not going until June 2016 and I'm crazy excited already!

Yes Columbus and Nellies share the same BBQ.

The other one is near Adrenalline beach and the buildings that house the locals selling thier wares.

Side Note:

I will let you know how this one goes but we are on suite beach and when we booked this current cruise I printed a suite perk page that listed the floaties (water thingies) for free, and snorkel stuff.

I have recently read where the price of the floaties went up from $10 to ?? and snorkel stuff not free:eek:! But, cannot find post even doing a search on CC.

So I will let you know how it goes.

Later

Thanks, that would be great. I assume I can walk to all these places? We like to shop too.

There is a tram that runs, you can take it if you want, but from one side to the other of the Labadee experience is a leisure 15 min. or less walk.

We usually walk it.

If you are on Columbus Beach it shares the same BBQ as Nellies, and is the furtherst from the buildings where the "nice" vendors are.

The hillside vendors are very pushy and will put bracelets on you and demand money, saying they dont want the bracelet back, they need money. We avoid this area, or walk very fast and just keep saying.....

"no Compredi" (lol).

You may want to take the tram to avoid the riff -- raff.

Enjoy, we love Labadee.

Later

I must really be missing something about Labadee because I do not like it at all and would not go back again or get off the ship. I have been there twice. Once we were at Columbus Cove and the beach was rocky and full of coral and other unappealing stuff. The water was cloudy, and still, almost stagnant. We rented clam shells to protect us from the fierce sun and they were so hot. We heard about the cabanas at Nellie's Beach and tried to rent one but the suite guests had first choice and there was nothing left when we boarded on the first day. The excursion guy rented our group a "beach bed" on Adrenaline beach. It was basically a platform on the beach with bed-like mattresses and a canopy and curtains on the sides which we could not secure and kept blowing in the wind. It was extremely hot and humid and the lunch was basically burgers and hot dogs. The sand was coarse and rocky and so was the water. I walked in and walked out. It was cloudy and full of seaweed and coral. I did not have water shoes. My son and nephew spent their time floating on the water mats so they would not have their feet in the water. The bed bed which holds six came with two mats, 3 towels and six bottles of water in a cooler. Cost $175. There was an attendant who would bring drinks.

We shopped in the nicer store near the beach and last time we shopped at the markets. I agree the vendors were very pushy and aggressive. They are not supposed to leave the deck surrounding the little stands and there is security around if anyone gets out of hand.

If you like to zipline or jetski I guess it's a good stop but I would not ever go back there. The beaches here cannot compare or come close to the beaches on Bermuda, St. Maarten, or St. Thomas. And the private island experience cannot compare to Margaritaville where Princess stops. Just my opinion.

Edited by BrooklynGirl2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
If not in a suite, try Columbus or Nellies.

Clean, close to restrooms, nice beach, and BBQ nearby.

You can walk the 10 ish min. or take the tram.

Enjoy.

Is the tram free?

I take it the lounge chairs are free?

Who are the chair attendants? Bar staff? Locals? Just curious due to all the talk of tipping them as the drinks' prices have added service already.

:o

Is the tram free?

I take it the lounge chairs are free?

Who are the chair attendants? Bar staff? Locals? Just curious due to all the talk of tipping them as the drinks' prices have added service already.

Have a RC Allure cruise planned for Dec. as I have done previously tried to reserve a cabin on Nellies beach or any location. Unfortunately the new policy is booking in advance for suites only! If some aren't occupied they will release to non-suite guests on board. We aren't happy about this new policy

Having just sailed in August and stayed on suite beach.

We were provided free of charge our floatie mats and snorkel gear.

Guess it is still a suite perk.

Also, to above poster, there are loungers everywhere, you will have no problem finding any.

If not the locals will put them out for you just give them a couple bucks , they work for tips.

Although some on the boards say not to tip, we do.

Enjoy