Labadee, The best port ever. Pics too...

whitshel

Just returned from the Indy's 6 night western Caribbean cruise to Grand Cayman, Jamaica and Labadee. Done all 3 ports before, but we feel Labadee is one of the best beach/ port days on any cruise. Now we did reserve an over the water cabana on Nellies beach and that may have something to do with it as well.

We were there with the Enchantment of the Seas so roughly 6500 pax about the same as a full Oasis/ Allure. For the most part it didn't seem too crowded but again, sigh, we had a cabana which made our lives a whole lot better....

We were supposed to arrive at 10am but the whole eastern heading of the ship after we rounded Grand Cayman was into a direct headwind. We actually arrived about an hour late into Haiti but made for some nice scenery and pics....

Traveling the northern coast of Haiti...

20130111_083606.jpg

IMG_1320.JPG

Pulling in....

20130111_101440.jpg

IMG_1002.JPG

IMG_1022.JPG

IMG_1005.JPG

I 100% agree. It was our first stop on Voyager back in 2003 and where we met the best bartender ever on a cruise... Patricio. We followed him around the ship for the rest of the cruise.

Edited by FSUNole

It was really cool to come into Labadee with the Enchantment already docked... I'm guessing most of their passengers weren't so happy to see us tho....

IMG_1324.JPG

IMG_1004.JPG

IMG_1326.JPG

IMG_1327.JPG

IMG_1328.JPG

We were wondering why the captain was honking the horn...Haha...

IMG_1323.JPG

I agree as well. I'm so happy that I was able to reserve a cabana on Barefoot Beach on our upcoming Allure sailing. It's the only way to do a beach day with 2 little ones and the MIL! I actually chose another Western itinerary so we could go to Labadee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was hoping we would back in so we would have a view of the beaches and the captain answered my wishes...

IMG_1009.JPG

IMG_1020.JPG

IMG_1013.JPG

It was absolutley amazing that he turned that huge ship around in those tight quarters... WHOA!!

IMG_1015.JPG

The view from our balcony! You think thats nice wait til the view from the cabana...

IMG_1018.JPG

IMG_1207%2520%25282%2529.JPG

Great pics. Thanks for posting. I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed the cabana. We have one booked for March. This will be our first time there. We were supposed to go a few years back but were diverted to Freeport because of civil unrest in Haiti.

We had a party of 10 so we rented 2 Over the water cabanas, I was pretty nervous about getting the cabanas I wanted, since 2 ships were in port and we were going to be the second ship in. I was so worried about getting 2 together and getting them in good spots. We actually went to the excursion desk the 1st day on board and asked them if there was any way to reserve specific ones, they told us to try on Thursday(the day before Labadee) as that's when they will get their allotment.

I happened to go and book the Jet ski excursion the 2nd day on board and just kindly asked the lady who was helping us the same question, she took down our stateroom #'s and told me she would take care of it and not to worry. Well I was still worried but nothing else I could do. So on to the Cabanas....

After docking my DFIL and I went down to get off the ship as fast as possible because word on the street is the cabanas are basically 1st come 1st serve. We were with-in the 1st 50 pax off, went to find the infamous golf carts, which we did, they are inside both gates past the gift shop and excursion building (just so you know:D). Told the driver Willie we had cabanas at Nellies beach and we were off...

He had to stop at Barefoot beach and get our cabana assignments from the concierge. I told the concierge we had 2 rented and wanted them together if possible. He looked at his clipboard for a few seconds and told Willie to take us to #7 and #8. Hmmmm, #7 and #8 sounds promising....

Really the only cabana I wasn't going to be thrilled with is the one on the rock pile that faces the beach, so when he said #7 and #8 i figured we were in the clear. Willie drove us right to the back of the cabana (good driving, let me tell you..) and this is what we got....#7

IMG_1065.JPG

IMG_1058.JPG

Our view...

20130111_120048.jpg

20130111_115431.jpg

20130111_161035.jpg

So for anyone that is wondering, no you cant reserve any specific one on the ship, they may be assigned beforehand or at the time you get there. Who knows, the best bet is to be polite, ask the concierge when you get to Barefoot beach and hopefully you get the one you want. The numbering system is way different than what I thought it would be so here is the numbering of the cabanas on Nellie's Beach. This is from our cabana attendent.

#1 is the one I didn't want but would be good for families with very young kids.

IMG_1060.JPG

Again we had #7 and #8

IMG_1121.JPG

Another perspective with #1 and #2 showing placement

IMG_1122.JPG

From the water #7

20130111_142913.jpg

From the water #5 and #6 which I think would be the 2 best cabanas but there is a ladder that goes to the water so may not be ideal for some. 7 and 8 the steps actually go into the water.

20130111_142959.jpg

Edited by whitshel

Wow!!! Labadee has changed a TON since I was there years ago. We anchored out in the lagoon, we tendered into shore, there were no cabanna's on the island at all....I thought it was fantastic then but now WOW!!! Thanks for the great pictoral update, you make me want to cruise again even more now!!! :D

we were on EN and were wondering what took you peeps on Indy so long...:D:p

Cabanas are the way to go....

Oh my, the wind was really bad after the turn, heading right into it. Even being ported at Falmouth was really really windy too. It looked pretty windy on the Atlantic side of Labadee too. Glad we had the cabana.:eek:

Gorgeous pictures! Love Labadee

Guess I am one of the few that don't get the obsession with the cabanas. Why anyone would want to be on a pile of rocks and have to walk down stairs and crawl down a ladder to get to the beach is beyond me. I go to the beach to feel sand b/t my toes! I know people love them and the cruise lines are making a killing with them, but just something I would never be interested in, especially ones on the rocks. Our friend rented one on the beach at Nellie's and they are with us on Jewel, so will be interesting to see what that is like when we visit them. They invited us to "share" with them, but we declined. I want to sit on the beach, not in a hut enclosed on 3 sides.

Inside. Sorry its a bit messy.... There is a switch for the ceiling fan and 2 outlets to charge your phone or camera. Or I guess you can bring your boombox...:D (Left side of pic)

As has been stated you do get a cooler with 3 large bottles of Evian water, 4 beach mats per cabana and beach towels. Well our beach towels didn't make it til after lunch but they did finally make it.

IMG_1057.JPG

Great place to chill and read a book.

IMG_1105.JPG

IMG_1104.JPG

Or just act cool.....

IMG_1153.JPG

Gorgeous pictures! Love Labadee

Guess I am one of the few that don't get the obsession with the cabanas. Why anyone would want to be on a pile of rocks and have to walk down stairs and crawl down a ladder to get to the beach is beyond me. I go to the beach to feel sand b/t my toes! I know people love them and the cruise lines are making a killing with them, but just something I would never be interested in, especially ones on the rocks. Our friend rented one on the beach at Nellie's and they are with us on Jewel, so will be interesting to see what that is like when we visit them. They invited us to "share" with them, but we declined. I want to sit on the beach, not in a hut enclosed on 3 sides.

Hey to each his own, but I would much rather be a little secluded and with my family than to be down with the masses where I doubt we would have been able to find shade and sun and 10 loungers together. But that's just me tho....Oh and not worry that the guy next to us is 300lbs and wearing a speedo...:eek: Haha....jkjk:D

I'm with ya. I love Labadee. Any pics of the 2 ships docked side by side there?

You know we have over 300 pics of just Labadee and not any of them docked together. What was I thinking?? We still have some pics coming from a couple of our other peeps, so hopefully they got at least 1:o

I love Labadee too. Question-can anyone rent a cabana now or do you still have to be in a suite?

Thanks

Chris

Anyone can rent one on Nellie's beach. Barefoot beach cabanas are for suite guests only. You have to time it just right tho cause they go quick..

I used to LOVE Nellies Beach, but I don't think I could ever justify the $ for the cabana....:( are you " allowed" to be on that beach if you don't rent a cabana? Very curious! Back I. The day we'd get off the tender and hike to Nellies..... Very quiet, no one was willing to walk that far!