Your Opinion on Labadee

Midwestgal

Will my son be allowed to take his own snorkel gear on to Labadee?

Are there generally enough beach loungers for everyone or is it going to be a search and make a run for it mission for us?

He can bring his own. A vest is required so if he does not bring one he would have to rent one.

There are more than enough loungers and the beach attendents who are locals will be running up to your party with chairs. The expect a tip. Bring some dollar bills to tip them. I tip $1 or $2 per chair. They seem happy with $1.

Edited by Charles4515

He will have to rent a vest if he just wants to snorkel on his own, not as part of an excursion?

Yes, if he wants to snorkel on his own they require a vest. They have lifeguards and the lifeguards will enforce that policy. So if he does not bring his own he will have to rent one.

I should add I have never found the snorkeling that good but I have ony snorkeled on the Barefoot Beach/Nellies Beach/Columbus Cove Side of Labadee. Never tried the Adreniline Beach side and on that side I can see a reef from the beach but I don't know if that is an allowed snorkeling area.

Edited by Charles4515

Yes, if he wants to snorkel on his own they require a vest. They have lifeguards and the lifeguards will enforce that policy. So if he does not bring his own he will have to rent one.

I should add I have never found the snorkeling that good but I have ony snorkeled on the Barefoot Beach/Nellies Beach/Columbus Cove Side of Labadee. Never tried the Adreniline Beach side and on that side I can see a reef from the beach but I don't know if that is an allowed snorkeling area.

Okay fair enough. He does not venture out too far, he is more of a novice, but it is good to know.

Do you happen to know how much it is to rent the life vest only?

Okay fair enough. He does not venture out too far, he is more of a novice, but it is good to know.

Do you happen to know how much it is to rent the life vest only?

Sorry I don't know. I have not rented one there since I have my own.

Edited by Charles4515

When we were provided with the complimentary snorkel/mask on Barefoot beach, we did not have to wear a life vest/jacket.

Maybe because it was a roped off swimming area, I dont know.

We went under the rope to get the pictures of the "airplane" that was sunken to make a man made reef. came up for air, and stayed in this area for about 10 mi. No one even the lifeguards seemed concerned that we were there.

The life guards were watching all swim and snorkel and did not see any vests here.

This was Aug 1, 2015 on the Oasis sailing.

Wonder if it is just on the other beaches.

Sea Ya

When we were provided with the complimentary snorkel/mask on Barefoot beach, we did not have to wear a life vest/jacket.

Maybe because it was a roped off swimming area, I dont know.

We went under the rope to get the pictures of the "airplane" that was sunken to make a man made reef. came up for air, and stayed in this area for about 10 mi. No one even the lifeguards seemed concerned that we were there.

The life guards were watching all swim and snorkel and did not see any vests here.

This was Aug 1, 2015 on the Oasis sailing.

Wonder if it is just on the other beaches.

Sea Ya

It was at Barefoot that they made me wear a vest. Blew a whistle at me. Had to put mine on. That was several years ago. They are still supposed to make you wear a vest. Apparently they have gotten lax about it.

Edited by Charles4515

Okay. I'm not packing one so if they decide to make him where one then we will have to rent it.

Thanks for the heads up.

If they do make him rent one it's probably not that much for just the vest. I try to avoid wearing a vest because I like to dive, not swim on the surface so I don't put any air in it anyway.

Edited by Charles4515

• 3 weeks later...

These people are cruise people and have been to other private islands this being their least favorite. I was surprised by their opinion and yes I know its only an opinion. We loved Half Moon Cay another private island and don't remember too much of COCo Cay.

As stated above all I'm looking for is nice water and sand....well maybe a cocktail or two:)

We were very much disappointed with Labadee. We love Castaway Cay (Disney) and Half Moon Cay (Holland). Both of these ports had beautiful serene beaches with pleasant dining areas and beautiful water.

I thought the water at Labadee was murky and not as pretty a blue. The picnic BBQ was crazy crowded even at 1:00 pm without enough seating. (We were on the Allure). I think the thing that bother me the most and did not expect were the islanders waiting to set up your lounge chairs for you and then hovering over you for a tip. On the other private islands we had never experienced that. I wasn't prepared to tip as we hadn't brought any cash along with us.

These people are cruise people and have been to other private islands this being their least favorite. I was surprised by their opinion and yes I know its only an opinion. We loved Half Moon Cay another private island and don't remember too much of COCo Cay.

As stated above all I'm looking for is nice water and sand....well maybe a cocktail or two:)

We were very much disappointed with Labadee. We love Castaway Cay (Disney) and Half Moon Cay (Holland). Both of these ports had beautiful serene beaches with pleasant dining areas and beautiful water.

I thought the water at Labadee was murky and not as pretty a blue. The picnic BBQ was crazy crowded even at 1:00 pm without enough seating. (We were on the Allure). I think the thing that bother me the most and did not expect were the islanders waiting to set up your lounge chairs for you and then hovering over you for a tip. On the other private islands we had never experienced that. I wasn't prepared to tip as we hadn't brought any cash along with us.

Yes, if you read Cruise Critic you know about the dollar tip but many don't know. So I am sure that those islanders know they are not going to get a tip from everyone. That dollar goes a long way and means a lot to the locals on a poor island so I don't mind.

Of course Labadee is different than the private islands in the Bahamas. I have been to all of them except Castaway Cay. Labadee is bigger than the others and there is more to do. As for the water, I have been to Half Moon Cay three times and one time the quality was very bad. How murky or clear the water varies. If there has been a recent storm the water gets stirred up. I would say the picnic food is better at Half Moon Cay but there was always more than enough seating at Labadee. Yes, I have been there on Allure and Oasis. Labadee has a dock and Half Moon Cay, Princess Cay, Grand Stirrup Bay, Coco Cay are tenders. Have had all those ones with tenders cancelled at least once on my cruises.

The only one I was disappointed with was NCLs Grand Stirrup Bay the first time. That one has been redone and is now pretty nice. Been to Labadee about eight or nine times having done it on both Royal and Celebrity and have never been disappointed. It is a great beach day.

Funny, it varies I believe by sailing- when we were in Castaway Cay in the adult area- the beach was full of seaweed and I got horrible sand ant bites on my feet- Now I always spray my feet with deet before going on any beach- When we were on Labadee the water was crystal clear- we had no problem at Nellies beach with room for chairs and umbrellas. Had been on Labadee four times. Other people wandered further for more quiet and privacy.

When we went to Coco Key on Royal- we loved the beach and also had plenty of room. We did have a cabana which was great- but the area for those not in Cabanas had plenty of room for chairs and umbrellas. Never did HAL

Edited by Cruise a holic

Yes, if you read Cruise Critic you know about the dollar tip but many don't know. So I am sure that those islanders know they are not going to get a tip from everyone. That dollar goes a long way and means a lot to the locals on a poor island so I don't mind.

I know it was an error on my part, I didn't research RCL's private island. I just assumed it would operate the same as the other 2 cruiseline's private islands we had visited. We all know the saying about assuming!

I know it was an error on my part, I didn't research RCL's private island. I just assumed it would operate the same as the other 2 cruiseline's private islands we had visited. We all know the saying about assuming!

Even if you researched Labadee you might have missed it. One can't know everything. First time visiting anywhere there are bound to be surprises. As I said I am sure the chair people are used to disappointment.

• 3 weeks later...
We will be there in December for the 8th.time . Lately when we have been there we just walked on the island ,for exercise .

The water was always wonderful.

Yes the water is awesome,

Enjoy

Next year 7th. time for us.