Your Opinion on Labadee

Midwestgal

I'm hearing some mixed reviews on Labadee from friends who recently visited this port. The mom told me she thought the water wasn't the best and was not impressed with this port. A few of the other family members said it was just ok not a place they care to go back to with the exception of on girl who thought it was real nice.

I pretty much booked my Allure cruise for 1. the ship and 2. for this port and am feeling a little bummed. This was a large family group cruise and so many of them were in agreement on this.

Whats your personal opinion on the beaches and the quality of water.

I love Labadee. It's a nice relaxing beach day. Beautiful scenery. Lots of shade. I could stay in the water all day (we usually go to the section called Nellie's Beach). The BBQ isn't so great, so we usually just "snack" there, and then get a late lunch back on the ship.

Edited by DonnaK

It's been about 8 years since I've been there but that was when they tendered you in. I've read a few posts about needing water shoes because of rocks in the water. I don't recall that was an issue. Sorry to hijack the post but does anyone have any comments on that. There is a lot more to do there now, of course for a fee - zip line, a gravity roller coaster and a water slide.

I love Labadee. Great relaxing beach day. No money needed except a few dollars for a tip for the lounge chair attendants.

You will need water shoes if you go to Adrenaline Beach where the zip line goes over. No water shoes needed for Nellies Beach or Colombus Cove.

Have fun!

Quiet, relaxing beach day - Check.

Not sure what OP is looking for out of Labadee, if you could expand on your expectations it might help with responses.

I like Labadee, wouldn't schedule a cruise around going there though as it is basically just a pleasant beach with some overpriced amenities.

It USED to be a lovely, relaxing beach day. They have "improved" it to the point where they've taken the charm away....but, that's not to say that a you won't have a great time! It's still a great beach day...totally free, unless you want to spend a bundle on waterspouts and cabanas!

As far as the water....it is what it is...it's not like RCI built the land and placed the ocean there! It can be clear, or there can be seaweed or jellyfish...it's a wild ocean, after all! Your experience depends on the tides!

I'm hearing some mixed reviews on Labadee from friends who recently visited this port. The mom told me she thought the water wasn't the best and was not impressed with this port. A few of the other family members said it was just ok not a place they care to go back to with the exception of on girl who thought it was real nice.

I pretty much booked my Allure cruise for 1. the ship and 2. for this port and am feeling a little bummed. This was a large family group cruise and so many of them were in agreement on this.

Whats your personal opinion on the beaches and the quality of water.

The water was great (IMO) when I was there during the last week of May.

I consider it an " ok" day. An easy beach day but the lunch buffet leaves a lot to be desired.

I preferred it when it was less developed.

I havd no desire to book a cabana and avoid the aggressive tactics at the markets.

Would I stay onboard when we docked? Not a chance but I also wouldn't seek a cruise that ports in Labadee.

It was a nice beach day when we went but I feel it's a waste of a port and I probably will not book another cruise that stops there unless it's unavoidable. The water was fine but water shoes would highly be suggested as there was a lot of coral and what not at the water's edge.

Edit to add the one positive thing I will give it is if you have the beverage package that works on shore so that is one nice thing to not have to worry about. Gotta love a labadoozie :)

Edited by dividedsky

It's not a "port of call". It is a private island stop, just like CocoCay is. It's a beach day with a few "locals" as vendors. It's RC controlled. They feed you an ok BBQ lunch, sell you some excursions. You can stay on the ship, you can go lay on the beach, you can pay for excursions.

OP - I think it depends on what you are looking for and wanting. As for the opinion of others - what were they wanting/expecting? Some may be disappointed if they do not understand what it really is.

Quiet, relaxing beach day - Check.

Not sure what OP is looking for out of Labadee, if you could expand on your expectations it might help with responses.

We loves Half Moon Cay so I'm looking for something on that order. Clean clear water , nice sand....just a nice beach day. We did visit CoCo Cay years ago but don't remember the beach conditions at all.

It's not a "port of call". It is a private island stop, just like CocoCay is. It's a beach day with a few "locals" as vendors. It's RC controlled. They feed you an ok BBQ lunch, sell you some excursions. You can stay on the ship, you can go lay on the beach, you can pay for excursions.

OP - I think it depends on what you are looking for and wanting. As for the opinion of others - what were they wanting/expecting? Some may be disappointed if they do not understand what it really is.

We were wanting/expecting it to be more like it was in 2006.

It's not a "port of call". It is a private island stop, just like CocoCay is. As for the opinion of others - what were they wanting/expecting? Some may be disappointed if they do not understand what it really is.

I know its not a "Port Call" pre say but its a stop so I'll call it a port.

These people are cruise people and have been to other private islands this being their least favorite. I was surprised by their opinion and yes I know its only an opinion. We loved Half Moon Cay another private island and don't remember too much of COCo Cay.

As stated above all I'm looking for is nice water and sand....well maybe a cocktail or two:)

When I hear people say they loved Labadee I wonder if I'm missing something. I was so disappointed with this port when I visited it for the first time last year. The ocean floor is full of rocks and weeds. If I hadn't brought water shoes I wouldn't have even been able to go into the water, and even with the shoes on it was still disgusting with all the weeds. This year for my second RCI cruise we purposely picked an itinerary without Labadee just to avoid having to go back there.

I will say the beach I was at is the one the zip lines go over which I see some others have said is rocky. Maybe if you go to one of the other beaches it's different.

That is probably the worst beach in Labadee. Hence the reason for the zipline.

Let me add that they really need to improve the lounge chairs . They are so worn out and uncomfortable.

Agree.. they're terrible. But RCCL won't bring new ones in to the country since Haiti slapped a 500% import tariff on new beach chairs... [emoji26]

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Thanks for the opinions.

Kyle.....this is what I'm afraid of. Very disappointing but we'll make lemonade out of the lemons, might need to add a little vodka to it but we'll do ok.

We love labadee. Have been their multiple times. We reserve a cabana and it is one of our favorite beaches. Love the Nellies Beach and hilltop cabanas the best. The butlers we have are great and the cabana barbecue area not crowded.

Barbecue nice!