Shade at Jalousie Beach?

New2cruise1483

We are thinking about taking a tour with Spencer Ambrose to Jalousie beach, and I'm wondering did there is very much shade available and if not, are there umbrellas available for rent? My mom can't be out in the sun too much because of her chemo, so shade is a must for us. Thank you in advance :)

In the free chair sections, there are several palaces and a little bit of natural shade from the trees...Otherwise, she would need to sit under the large tree in front of the beach bar or sit at the beach bar -but to do so would involve patronizing the beach bar/restaurant....there are chairs with umbrellas to rent at extra charge. Around $20 a chair, plus umbrellas...

• 3 weeks later...

We were just there a few days ago on a tour and I would NOT recommend this beach! It is full of rocks and hard to enter the water without hurting your feet. The views are pretty, but if you want to get into the water bring water shoes. Non-resort guests were not welcome to use the lounges and the area under the trees for the rest of us was not pleasant. It was full of rocks and tree roots and every person there on a tour is vying for a small piece of the shade. I also got stung by a jellyfish here, and while that's not unique to this beach or this island (I got stung 3 times last week, all at different beaches), this one did hurt the worst and the rash is still there a week later. I Was unimpressed with this beach, mostly because of all the rocks in the water.

It is a beach for snorkeling and to be near the Pitons....rocky beaches are good snorkeling spots....

We did Spencer's "Jalousie Beach Break" in May 2013 and I'll say you've definitely picked a great excursion. As for shade on the beach, yes, we had plenty of it. On Spencer's "Jalousie Beach Break", you should be the first group to arrive at the beach. You will then also get first pick of the free loungers. They are under palapas which are located under trees. As for rocks, it is rocky a you enter the water at the snorkeling area, but it was some of the best snorkeling we've done, lots of fish and very colorful coral. The resort side has a sand beach for swimming, which we were also able to use, we'd just have to pay to use those loungers.

I've attached two pictures from our trip that shows the shaded area and loungers we used while on Spencer's tour. One of them is a picture of one of the vendor's woodcarvings, but you'll see plenty of shade in the loungers behind where he sets up. The vendors will show up but they do not bother anyone. If you are interested in seeing what they have, you'll need to go to them. Jalousie Beach is such a beautiful beach, I hope you and your mom enjoy it as much as we did.

100_6859.jpg

100_6868.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with what pghsteelerfan said. This is one of the most gorgeous beaches I have been on. I did the Spencer Ambrose tour with my husband several years ago and I will be going back to St. Lucia with 4 of my daughters May 2016. I specifically booked a cruise that went to St. Kitts and St. Lucia because I wanted my daughters to see my favorite 2 spots from the cruises that I have been on. I just booked Spencer Ambrose yesterday because I enjoyed his tour so much. Yes, the entrance to the water is rocky right in front of the area reserved for tours. But, it was the best snorkeling I have done. Very relaxing day. Spencer Ambrose's employees made sure everyone was taken care of and had drinks. The lunch served by local women was wonderful. A fantastic day in every way. We had a delay in getting there - some boat trouble - and they made a stop at Marigot. We walked around for a few minutes while they got things taken care of. Even with the delay, there were loungers in the shade when we arrived.

• 2 weeks later...
We were just there a few days ago on a tour and I would NOT recommend this beach! It is full of rocks and hard to enter the water without hurting your feet. The views are pretty, but if you want to get into the water bring water shoes. Non-resort guests were not welcome to use the lounges and the area under the trees for the rest of us was not pleasant. It was full of rocks and tree roots and every person there on a tour is vying for a small piece of the shade. I also got stung by a jellyfish here, and while that's not unique to this beach or this island (I got stung 3 times last week, all at different beaches), this one did hurt the worst and the rash is still there a week later. I Was unimpressed with this beach, mostly because of all the rocks in the water.

I agree with this opinion of Jalousie beach...I would NOT recommend it since it is too crowded. The beach area is very compact with numerous people trying to find the limited shade under the palapas or trees. The loungers, when we were there last year were in bad shape for the most part. Several of the usable loungers were being taken up by the staff and "locals" who were just hanging out. The view of the Pitons is great but other than that, not much here. We too, had boat engine trouble with Spencer's tour....this delayed our departure from Jalousie and our return to the ship was cutting it too close for comfort...

• 5 weeks later...

This was the best day of my Carnival Liberty cruise last June. It was our second year in a row using Spencer's Beach Break. He even gave a $10 pp discount as returning customers!

The beach is spectacular. O/p try to be one of the first off the boat and you'll have your choice of palapas, which offer plenty of shade. The seating area for Spencer's tour is just a public beach area. The lounge chairs aren't the best, but once you put your towel on it you won't notice the difference. It's also the snorkel area entrance and it IS rocky. If you plan to snorkel (and you should, it's incredible!) bring water shoes. Not snorkeling, simply use the sandy beach. All beaches in St. Lucia are public, so you're not confined to the snorkeling area. The locals are friendly, the vendors not pushy.

Spencer himself is a very affable guy. His staff is very attentive (maybe it was my 2 attractive daughters), and the food and drink were excellent. Both years there were no problems with the boat and we were back in port with time to shop.

I'd recommend this tour to all but the most finicky