Somewhere to eat on a Friday Night

babs135

Yes, I know New York is full of eateries, but we will be arriving at our hotel, The Archer, which is Midtown at about 8 pm after a flight from the UK and will want to eat. However, based on past experiences, ie long flights and time difference, we won't want a big meal or even something like a burger.

Is there anywhere that will do a simple sandwich and a drink?

Yes, I know New York is full of eateries, but we will be arriving at our hotel, The Archer, which is Midtown at about 8 pm after a flight from the UK and will want to eat. However, based on past experiences, ie long flights and time difference, we won't want a big meal or even something like a burger.

Is there anywhere that will do a simple sandwich and a drink?

Most bars will serve you a sandwich or burger. There are a few on every block depending on cuisine you are looking for.

There are a few Jewish delis that have sandwich and some have burgers

Ellens Stardust dinner 50th and Broadway- nice place with singing waiters that are out of work Broadway actors.

Carnegie Deli. 854 7th Ave and 55th- great deli

http://www.juniorscheesecake.com/our_restaurants/times_square/ this place has burgers also

Lindy is another famous deli with burgers

http://www.momswhothink.com/cheesecake-recipes/lindys-new-york-deli-cheesecake.html

there are many other places in walking distance

I highly recommend Ellen's Stardust Diner. We went after seeing Wicked for my daughter's birthday and I can honestly say I enjoyed it more than the show! You will have a lot of fun and the food is very good, especially the desserts. I'm surprised more people don't talk about this place but, then again, NYC is chock full of diners.

It's been closed for months, accused of stealing gas. No one is quite when (or if) it will reopen.

I hope they reopen, it was closed 2 months ago but I thought it was supposed to reopen. Still cannot believe Stage deli closed.

The whole situation is a mess, involving a nasty divorce, an illegal gas line, fines to the city, payments to Con Ed, etc. In the meantime, you can always head to Katz's (205 East Houston Street) where the famous faux-orgasm scene in "When Harry Met Sally" was filmed. The Stage closed because they were hit with a rent increase they couldn't handle, whereas I believe the Carnegie owns their entire building. It happens all the time here, unfortunately, as real estate prices are going through the roof again.

Edited by Langoustine

The whole situation is a mess, involving a nasty divorce, an illegal gas line, fines to the city, payments to Con Ed, etc. In the meantime, you can always head to Katz's (205 East Houston Street) where the famous faux-orgasm scene in "When Harry Met Sally" was filmed. The Stage closed because they were hit with a rent increase they couldn't handle, whereas I believe the Carnegie owns their entire building. It happens all the time here, unfortunately, as real estate prices are going through the roof again.

Lindy's and Juniors are both is times square area and both pretty good pastrami, had one at each place in May, 1950's movie Guys and Dolls talks about Lindy's

I'm reading this as a desire for easy food, not an experience. If so, no problem, but the light, quick sandwich may require a coke and a drink at the hotel bar later. Although the hotel bar looks pretty nice, so a sandwich there is a definite option. Every corner in Manhattan has a bodega that almost always has a sandwich line. 8:00 on Friday is an odd time for them, but there will be one nearby.

You can certainly walk to Times Square if you want, but if you're just looking for food, there should be plenty near your hotel.

I'm reading this as a desire for easy food, not an experience. If so, no problem, but the light, quick sandwich may require a coke and a drink at the hotel bar later. Although the hotel bar looks pretty nice, so a sandwich there is a definite option. Every corner in Manhattan has a bodega that almost always has a sandwich line. 8:00 on Friday is an odd time for them, but there will be one nearby.

You can certainly walk to Times Square if you want, but if you're just looking for food, there should be plenty near your hotel.

Yes, just a simple sandwich is all we will want. However have made a note of some of the suggestions people have made for another day. Can't cope with a big(ish) meal after a long flight. Earl of Sandwich would have been perfect but they close early.