NYC port, trains and pre cruise hotel location

Freckle53

We live in upstate NY, east of Syracuse. We are cruising on the Breakaway next February and are batting around ideas of how to get to the port. Though we have lived in NY most of our lives, we have only been to NYC a few times and are not at all familiar with it. I've searched here and read some threads to try to find info.

My husband would rather not drive, so at first we were going to do the shuttle with Yankee Trails out of the Albany area. It's a bit more for the shuttle for the 4 of us, but we then save on gas and additional tolls.

Then I started looking into taking an Amtrak train from our area and we think that sounds like fun. The cost is similar to the shuttle with Yankee Trails as far as I can tell so far ahead of time. We will be traveling with our 11 year old and 3.5 year old boys, so riding on a real train, on a real trip will score big bonus points. It'll be a bit more "work" getting from a NY hotel or Penn Station to the port though compared to the shuttle bus dropping and picking us up at port.

For anyone that has done a similar trek, what are your thoughts? Would it be better to take the train directly to NYC the day before and stay overnight there or take the train to Albany the day before, stay there, and then take the train to NY early that morning? If staying in NYC is better, does anyone have suggestions for a reasonably priced hotel near the port?

I've been doing the Albany-NYC run on Amtrak for 28 years now, and know it well. It would certainly be cheaper to go to Albany, spend the night, and take the train the day of cruise - but you're sailing next February. This winter season we've had several times when Amtrak has canceled trains due to weather. I'm not sure I'd want to run the risk (although, in fairness, you can change Amtrak reservations fairly easily). If you can swing it, I'd take the train right into NYC day before. Hotels in NYC are never cheap, but February is the "off season" so you should be able to find something moderately priced. I'd stay in the location between Penn Station and Times Square if you find something in your budget. From Penn Station you can take a cab to whatever hotel you book and the next morning get a cab from the hotel to the port. It's pretty easy. As long as you don't overpack, you should be able to fit 4 in one cab.

BTW, after 28 years I've never tired of taking the train to NYC. As long as it's daylight you get to see lighthouses, river towns, and - if the river is iced over like it has been this season - Coast Guard icebreakers clearing the way for barges and freighters. You go by West Point. It's a fascinating ride!

Thanks for the info! I think I'd feel safer staying in NYC too, just in case. My husband travels all through NY for his job so he thinks it would be nice to 1) not be driving any of the trip himself and 2) to see the scenery along the way that isn't the blandness of the Thruway.

Thanks for the info! I think I'd feel safer staying in NYC too, just in case. My husband travels all through NY for his job so he thinks it would be nice to 1) not be driving any of the trip himself and 2) to see the scenery along the way that isn't the blandness of the Thruway.
And the Thruway is bland! Driving from Syracuse to Albany, I usually start zoning out around Herkimer.:p

Take a look at sites like Groupon or living social for hotels in NYC. they have some great deals during the winter offseason.

Good idea, thank you. This is so far away yet, most hotel's direct site won't let me even price rooms yet! I will have to see if I can set up email alerts on those sites so I can get a feel for what gets offered. I'm a big planner...

If you are still considering Yankee Trails I can tell you it is a great service. I did it last April and will again use it this May. I like that I leave my car in their parking lot,get on the bus and they bring me right to the port. Then they pick me up right at the port and bring me back to my car. Very easy and I don't have to worry about driving in traffic.

Laura

Yankee Trails is definitely our backup plan if the train fares/schedules/NYC hotel ends up being too much closer to the date I can actually make reservations. The lure of the train (besides our kids loving it) is that it is no driving at all for my husband (we are about 15 minutes from the train station here). In my searching yesterday I ready many great reviews for them here.

Having travel on Amtrak many times, 5 times across the US and back, be ready to be late on arrival. There is the world's time table and then there is Amtrak's time table which they rarely follow. DH and I did Amtrak from Rochester, NY, to NYC for a Dawn cruise. We went on the day before and stayed at the Pennsylvania Hotel. It right across the street from the train station. We took a cab to the pier the next morning. My DD and I have done the Yankee Trails Bus for a cruise to Bermuda. We sailed October 30th and on the day before when we headed to Albany to catch Yankee Trail Bus we had a terrible early snow storm. I was glad to have the bus take me to the city. Both options worked out well but I think I liked the Yankee Trails Bus Service better just for the fact that they dropped us off right at the pier and picked us up there when we returned. We stayed in the Holiday Inn Express in Rensselear the night before. It was only about a mile from the bus station. We stopped at McDonalds for breakfast and went to the bus station. We had to leave the hotel before they started serving breakfast in order to catch the bus a 7 AM.

Amtrak to New York the day before makes sense - a hotel in Albany may save some money, but add hassle. Hotel Pennsylvania is literally across the street from Penn Station, so no cab fare there - and it is probably a 15 minute cab ride to the cruise terminal. You could find cheaper hotels, but none as convenient - and when you added extra cab fares, you would probably not save that much.

The train would be a real plus for your boys - and it is a great ride down the Hudson.

Amtrack is notorious for running late. Definitely go into the city the day prior. The kids (and you) will LOVE the train over a bus or driving. You have plenty of time between now and your cruise....I'd check out "Priceline" for hotels. We've frequenter gotten a really good deal. Even if it's a tad further from the port, saving a $100 on the hotel is well worth the $20 more expensive cab ride to the port.

Thank you all for the info everyone, especially NY hotel recommendations. I think we will definitely take the train the day before. If anyone can think of anything to add, I'd appreciate it and am still following this thread! Lots and lots of time to plan until next Feb... If only the weather here would act like it's spring.

• 4 months later...
Having travel on Amtrak many times, 5 times across the US and back, be ready to be late on arrival. There is the world's time table and then there is Amtrak's time table which they rarely follow. DH and I did Amtrak from Rochester, NY, to NYC for a Dawn cruise. We went on the day before and stayed at the Pennsylvania Hotel. It right across the street from the train station. We took a cab to the pier the next morning. My DD and I have done the Yankee Trails Bus for a cruise to Bermuda. We sailed October 30th and on the day before when we headed to Albany to catch Yankee Trail Bus we had a terrible early snow storm. I was glad to have the bus take me to the city. Both options worked out well but I think I liked the Yankee Trails Bus Service better just for the fact that they dropped us off right at the pier and picked us up there when we returned. We stayed in the Holiday Inn Express in Rensselear the night before. It was only about a mile from the bus station. We stopped at McDonalds for breakfast and went to the bus station. We had to leave the hotel before they started serving breakfast in order to catch the bus a 7 AM.

hi 2 questions.. what cruiseline did you sail with that the bus took you to the pier and for the train and bus how many pieces of luggage were you able to take?

Looking to do this next year if possible, pending the weather of course.

I am looking to cruise with NCL. thanks

Edited by ISLABONITA

Do NOT arrive via Amtrak the day of the cruise...

ANY little issue can screw up your plans....power trouble, equipment trouble, weather, trespassers on the tracks...you name it, it happens..

I've been across the country and back, up and down over 12 times...and RARELY if ever are the trains on time...the North East Corridor is a mess, and you're coming from Syracuse, so you aren't exactly swimming in options for trains to get to NYP.

That said, it's a GREAT thing, riding the rails....just plan on staying in NYC the night before!

We definitely are planning to get in to NYC the night before. There's an 8 am train from Utica that supposedly arrives before 1 p.m. so that should give us lots of wiggle room to make the cruise the next day. LOL. Right now, I have my eye on the Crowne Plaza in Time Square for the night. And there's either a 1 o'clock train going back the day we debark. There's a 10:30ish one, but that feels way to close to chance timewise.