BBW Cruising

vegas627

I am a BBW and this is my 1st Cruise. I would like to know if other BBW's have cruised and how did you feel.

Out of place or comfy and just had fun.

How did you handle all of the walking - and the seats make me nervous.

I am cruising 9/13/15 on Royal Caribbean Independence of the Sea.

Any advise, comments, anything I would appreciate.

I am a BBW and this is my 1st Cruise. I would like to know if other BBW's have cruised and how did you feel.

Out of place or comfy and just had fun.

How did you handle all of the walking - and the seats make me nervous.

I am cruising 9/13/15 on Royal Caribbean Independence of the Sea.

Any advise, comments, anything I would appreciate.

I have been on many cruises over the years, and I do not care about what others think of me as a BBW.

However, I dress properly and do not wear a bikini when I go swimming.

I've seen to many bbw in bikinis, and I've heard all the comments about that, and most of the times I even can understand why.

I'm fine with the walking, and yes there will be a lot of walking. From morning till late night.

Everything you want to do or see is always in the other end of the ship....:p

Seats is most of the time not a problem.

But seats in the theatres can be a little bit thigt sometimes.

I am a BBW. I have been on 17 cruises. About half of those were as a solo.

Make sure your expectations are realistic. The shower is small. You may have to request an armless chair for dining. You may not able to manage any but the least active excursions, the shore excursion desk can advise you.

Be friendly and courteous, and staff will go out of their way to assist you with any issues.

Lesa

We were recently on a cruise with a close friend who is a BBW. The dining room saved a chair without arms for her. Also, I was concerned about her feelings being hurt with the possibility of other cruisers making comments or staring at her. I was so happy that I never saw or heard anything disparaging about her size. When she walked in ports, she did fine. If it got too much for her, our group just sat down for a few minutes and enjoyed the scenery. She had such a great time, she wants to go on another cruise.

Have a great cruise!

P.S. - If I weren't on my mobility scooter, I would not have been able to keep up with her. :D

I'd say about 35-40% of the folks on the cruise will be overweight....you will not be the only one!

There is an awful lot of walking....if you have trouble, it may be worth it to rent a scooter...the ship doesn't provide them, but there are companies that deliver to the ship for you. If you go that route, you will need to get a cabin with a door the scooter will fit thru...so check that out before you book!!!

Happy cruising!

Don't worry...be happy. I wish you were going on my next cruise and we could go have lunch.

I am a BBW and I love cruising. I will be bringing my scooter and my walker with seat on my next cruise. I have a condition that limits my mobility and the walker is great for short distances or standing in lines.

I called Hawaii today to ask about some tours on the islands and if you ask and investigate in advance you can get good advice about what will be comfortable for you.

If you go to the dining room just hold your head high and if needed ask for a chair with no arms. For me they have one at my table ready to go after asking the first time.

I always ask for a shower chair because of my mobility and it helps prevents falls!

I just found a great swim top that I will using on the beach and I have capri pants that I will be loving. I don't want to get burned while swimming with the rays!

Enjoy every minute of your cruise and don't worry about others.

4boysnana

I am a BBW. I have been on 17 cruises. About half of those were as a solo.

Make sure your expectations are realistic. The shower is small. You may have to request an armless chair for dining. You may not able to manage any but the least active excursions, the shore excursion desk can advise you.

Be friendly and courteous, and staff will go out of their way to assist you with any issues.

Lesa

Armless chiar! Brilliant. Would never have thought to ask for one!

I actually called ahead and spoke with Special Needs and requested a shower stool for the bathroom, armless chairs for everyone at our table and an armless chair for the balcony. Now, we leave on our cruise the 22nd of September so I will let you know if the items are actually there.

Lollie

• 2 months later...

Hi, I know this is two months late, but just now finding this post.

I hope your cruise went well? I have been on 27 now, and am indeed a very bbw.

I have run across a few problems...like being uncomfy in the DR or the theatre, but have been able to work around most. I have knee issues so going up and down the ramps is sometimes a literal pain...but I work it.

My main problem is when I go on European cruises, the guests do not seem to be as friendly. I have NEVER had a problem with any crew member, just looks, stares, and yes even one pointer from guests.....it has broken me down many times....and has sometimes killed the mood...but I try to continue to live, and try to be happy, even if for whatever reason that makes others who have to look at me unhappy. You would think being in Southern Cal, I would be used to it...but mostly the people here really don't care.

Anxious to hear how your cruise went.

I have cruised several times now, both locally and out of Amsterdam, alone and with others, and I am a SS BBW so am used to not fitting into the world. On the cruising I have a ball. On the big ships, I make sure I have an accessible cabin so I can have a mobility scooter (severe arthritis in my knees) but on the smaller ships, I am fine. I am very selective about what excursions I go on. I am also extremely careful not to sit in a low chair if alone - it's extremely embarrassing to have to ask a random strange man to help me out - although I suppose it's one way to break the ice!

Your size is not the key to a great cruise, meeting amazing people - it's your attitude. If you smile and look happy people will respond to you in the same way.

I actually called ahead and spoke with Special Needs and requested a shower stool for the bathroom, armless chairs for everyone at our table and an armless chair for the balcony. Now, we leave on our cruise the 22nd of September so I will let you know if the items are actually there.

Lollie

My husband needed a shower stool but the one they gave him was only about 12" high, more like something a child would stand on to reach the sink. Much too low to sit on. We had the cabin steward return it.

No, this has always been a big issue for me. I have solved it, sort of, since my knees are so bad now (have to have bilateral knee replacements) by using a mobility scooter. Unfortunately, that means I also have to use an accessible cabin. Otherwise, all I can suggest is allowing plenty of time to take little rests along the way.

Some ports have a golf cart or mini- transport of some kind....st Martin off the top of my head,bermuda,barbados....tip a couple of bucks...sometimes it is frustrating as your timing might not gel but so much easier if you are lucky enough to catch one....one year my husband borrowed a wheelchair and returned it after dropping me off at the gate....went downhill from a difficult travel day and it affected the whole trip....after that I ordered a scooter to help out while on the ship....so much better....