Transport from Cape Liberty to NYC

TeamSheehan

Hi everyone.

I'm very new to this, and i'm looking for some help and advice please.

We are travelling from the UK to Cape Liberty.

We need to get to our hotel which is 21st Street, Long Island City.

Can someone please help me with the best transport for this journey??

I have two children, a husband and 4 bags of luggage!

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

You will need to book a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo. It will be over $100 when you add on tolls and tip.

A combination of local cab, public transit to Manhattan and NYC cab to Long Island City is also possible. We can provide more info.

Could you give us more details? What exact date are you doing this? What airport are you flying home from? What hotel are you staying in, did you prepay it, how many nights, and what is the hotel cost?

Hi, Thanks for your reply.

We arrive at Cape Liberty on Nov 4th aboard Anthem of the Seas:D

We depart the ship at around 10am - I Think!

From there we need to get to Best Western Hotel, 21st Street, Long Island City, NY. I know its quite a way and realise a cab will be over $100.

can you tell me if we can get a cab from the port? or do I need to book in advance? I'm nervous that if I book a cab in advance it wont turn up !!

We stay in NY for a few days before flying out of JFK.

Thanks again

:)

... We arrive at Cape Liberty on Nov 4th aboard Anthem of the Seas:D We depart the ship at around 10am - I Think! ... need to get to Best Western Hotel, 21st Street, Long Island City, NY ... can you tell me if we can get a cab from the port? or do I need to book in advance? I'm nervous that if I book a cab in advance it wont turn up !! We stay in NY for a few days before flying out of JFK. Thanks again

As noted by - 138East/Carol - please do NOT use a taxi based in NJ to cross into NY (across state lines) as fares will be very expensive (charged on a round-trip basis + tolls) - will you have a working mobile telephone to use in the US, and will it also have roaming data (UK-based carriers like "3" or even "T-Mo" have free incoming calls ?? if not roaming data, as that's the best way to stay/get in touch with your booked car service, and, receive email/SMS that the car/driver is on the way (and, for the driver to directly call you when s/he is near/inside the terminal area - ready to pick you up/meet you, etc.)

Both Dial7 and Carmel Limo (our preference/frequently used) have free APPs to pre-download before leaving (via Store on iOS and Android) - to make it easier. Pre-book will assure you that a vehicle/driver has been/will be dispatched you, based on expected arrival time - email/call them after confirmation & ask them to note that you will call to reconfirm on that morning, once you are almost ready to be pickup (i.e. give them another 1 or 2 hours, as the ship is coming into Cape Liberty/waiting for clearance from immigration/custom officials - to update their dispatch system for a best match)

With 4 people and 4 pc. of checked luggage (smaller hand/carry-on luggage is usually not counted, as they can be held or put in the backseat/floor) will require a mini-van. I did a quick lookup on my mobile App of the fare for a minivan on your date - quoting $84 USD + tolls + tips, which will likely come to around $125 to $135, depending on the exacting routing taken as toll charges will vary - as it's a weekday, traffic at midday can be just as horrible, so expect travel time to be 90 minutes or more, door to door.

If you decided or wanted to street "hail" a taxi at the pier/terminal - aside from possibly a long line & sharing the ride, the fares will be over $200 (roughly - due to round-trip fares) plus tipping & tolls, please - use Dial7 or Carmel.

On the departure out of JFK, you can call/book & use Dial7 or Carmel again from LIC's BW Hotel to the airport - there is no toll involved and zoned rates should be about $50 for a minivan plus tipping (20% is what we usually do) - depending on route, about 1 hour travel time should suffice, weather permitting in routine traffic.

Both of these car services are licensed & insured, properly, and can pickup/dropoff passengers in NJ/NJ and cross state-lines, each of them with a fleet of several hundred vehicles of assorted size plus drivers - and their own garages/holding lots for standing by ... if you booked them & it is (re)confirmed - they will show up as arranged. There are few, if any, lately - of reported problems with either service used by flyers and cruise passengers.

On a side note, we steer clear - personally - of Uber/X and Lyft, etc. or similar "ride-sharing" services, largely unregulated & slipping under the compliance radar, etc.

Edited by mking8288

Hi, Thanks for your reply.

We arrive at Cape Liberty on Nov 4th aboard Anthem of the Seas:D

We depart the ship at around 10am - I Think!

From there we need to get to Best Western Hotel, 21st Street, Long Island City, NY. I know its quite a way and realise a cab will be over $100.

can you tell me if we can get a cab from the port? or do I need to book in advance? I'm nervous that if I book a cab in advance it wont turn up !!

We stay in NY for a few days before flying out of JFK.

Thanks again

Welcome to Cruise Critic! I am on the Anthem TA as well. Please come over and join our Roll Call at the link below, and "meet" some of our fellow travelers. We have a number of activities planned for the crossing. And if you haven't yet done so, you might want to register to attend RCI's official Meet and Mingle party.

Hope to see you on board!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2105214

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, does anyone have information on the situation of getting a taxi from the port to Hotel Pennsylvania and what the charges are. I have read you have to be careful due to them crossing the state line and charging double fares. Thanks.

Read the early posts in this thread. The advice given is valid. You do not want to take a taxi. Book a car service such as Dial 7 or Carmel Limo.

Expect your total cost to be in the $80 to $100 range for fare, tolls and tip assuming you need a sedan. If you need a larger vehicle such as a mini van it will cost more.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks to everyones advice on CC I booked a car from Carmel instead of waiting inline for a taxi as originally planned.

Booked online the night before using wifi on the ship and the car was ready and waiting for us as requested bang on schedule the next morning once we had disembarked the Anthem.

3 adults and 3 cases ( although 1 did have to go inside the car even though they werent that big!)

Final cost including tip and toll was $80 to Westin Time Square.

Would 100% recommend!

thanks to everyones advice on CC I booked a car from Carmel instead of waiting inline for a taxi ... 3 adults and 3 cases ( although 1 did have to go inside the car even though they werent that big!)

Final cost including tip and toll was $80 to Westin Time Square. Would 100% recommend!

Excellent & thank you for sharing your experience, $80 is a very good total, all inclusive.

We have two rolling duffle bags and twobackpacks. Do you think we need a minivan?

Second what NJH said, Carmel might send a Camry or Altima as a standard 4 door sedan (we've rode them before ourselves) and 2 adults with luggage will all fit, even with 2 MLC backpacs (which can easily fit inside & ride along) for a saving of $10 to $15 over the higher minivan rate.