Driving from Atlanta to Ft. Lauderdale

TerReuv

We will be driving from Atl to Ft. Lauderdale next week. Looking at going wither all the way down 75 or 95. Funny thing is that 75 looks like it might be longer but in reality it show less miles than 95. Also, same for driving time - almost an hour less going 75. Can anyone tell me why this is? Am I just missing something?

I just drove from Bowling Green Ky. Monday.

Fastest way is I-75 to Fla. Turnpike, to I-595. Tolls on Turnpike, approx. $16 for a car, $48 for a tandem axle trailer.

I drove I-75 to, I-10 east, to I-295 south, to I-95 south.

The trip is 40 miles longer. (total 442 miles)

If you take I-75 all the way, its 462 miles, Fl. state line to Port Everglades.

Toll on Alligator alley. $3.

I-75 to Fl. Tpk., to I-595, to Port Everglades, is 402 miles.

I hope this nonsense helps.

Here is my ulcer's take on the 3 routes . On a scale of 1 to 10 , 1 being lowest tension to 10 being extremely tense , Fl Turnpike is a 3 , I75 is a 7, but I 95 is a 10+:eek: !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thus I go I 75, FL Turnpike , I 575 . The tolls are less costly than Ulcer Meds LOL . Have a great drive :)

Here is my ulcer's take on the 3 routes . On a scale of 1 to 10 , 1 being lowest tension to 10 being extremely tense , Fl Turnpike is a 3 , I75 is a 7, but I 95 is a 10+:eek: !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thus I go I 75, FL Turnpike , I 575 . The tolls are less costly than Ulcer Meds LOL . Have a great drive :)

If you don't have a sunpass card, the turnpike route is also a 10+

I do Atlanta to Cocoa Beach all the time and my preferred method is 75 to 95 via 10. It is around 20 miles longer. In fact I will do it this Friday or Saturday.

This route avoids tolls, if that is a consideration.

That's a huge deal. I drove from ATL to Miami over the summer. 10 hours of misery in addition to the egregious toll fares - I think I paid $50 going through Florida one-way.

• 1 month later...
We will be driving from Atl to Ft. Lauderdale next week. Looking at going wither all the way down 75 or 95. Funny thing is that 75 looks like it might be longer but in reality it show less miles than 95. Also, same for driving time - almost an hour less going 75. Can anyone tell me why this is? Am I just missing something?

We have made the trip from north Alabama to FLL twice in the last year. Both times we used I75 because of the traffic on I95.

First of all, I find it difficult to believe some of the reports on tolls on the turnpike. We spend about $22 round trip and we travel the same route you would be taking. We pick up the turnpike just south of Ocala and follow it until the GPS says to exit on 95 somewhat north of FLL.

Second, depending upon how often you plan on taking this route, you might wish to get a SunPass. This device will allow you to automatically pay the tolls and bypass the cash/credit lines. You just have to slow to about 25 and drive on through the Sun Pass lanes. We do two trips a year and it works well for us.

Here's the website:

https://www.sunpass.com/index

Our drive is a bit longer than yours so we spend the first night in Lake City just south of the Georgia border. On our first trip we stopped at the Visitors Center a bit north of Lake City and bought the SunPass from a vending machine. Called the toll free and activated the pass and put $30 on the account. Very easy. You can also get SunPass to mail you one. We got the one you attach to the car window.

BTW, that's how I know how much we spent on tolls from Ocala to FLL and return. It's on my account.

<snip>

Second, depending upon how often you plan on taking this route, you might wish to get a SunPass. This device will allow you to automatically pay the tolls and bypass the cash/credit lines. You just have to slow to about 25 and drive on through the Sun Pass lanes. We do two trips a year and it works well for us.

The Peach Pass (the Georgia equivalent to SunPass) works in FL, so if the OP has one, he or she doesn't need a SunPass.

http://www.peachpass.com/interoperability

I too drive from Atlanta to Port Everglades every time we cruise, however, we always spend the night in Orlando and finish the trip the next day. (If you can't find a cheap room in Orlando, something is wrong!)

Having a Peach Pass saves on tolls on the Florida Turnpike, as they offer you a discount, plus it saves you time, just drive right through the toll booth.

75 to the turnpike is the way to go.

While exploring for hotels, I noticed that my GPS in my car has been routing us off of the Turnpike far earlier than required. It's been telling us to exit around Port St. Lucie. We can actually stay on the turnpike until we hit I595.

Probably depends on a setting on the GPS. Most direct route probably takes you off the turnpike sooner because the pike is a couple miles west of 95 in Ft Lauderdale. Might be a negligible distance overall, but still a tad shorter, thus the GPS suggests that routing.

Probably depends on a setting on the GPS. Most direct route probably takes you off the turnpike sooner because the pike is a couple miles west of 95 in Ft Lauderdale. Might be a negligible distance overall, but still a tad shorter, thus the GPS suggests that routing.

Or, then again, it might be trying to avoid tolls. Lesson learned: GPS is no substitute for proper map reconnaissance. (As former military I should have known that.)

Or, then again, it might be trying to avoid tolls. Lesson learned: GPS is no substitute for proper map reconnaissance. (As former military I should have known that.)

No kidding. I've had mine set for shorter distance and had it throw me into the right hand collector lanes when there is a right hand curve ahead because it's a matter of hundreds of feet shorter. The only time I really relied on my GPS in Florida was to get me out on to I-95 from PBI the easiest way (I had a number of ideas in mind from looking at the maps, but wasn't sure the best route). Other than that, I usually have it figured out in my mind and use the GPS as a timing thing, and as confirmation I'm going where I want to. Plus, she talks to me nicer than my wife when giving directions lol.

While exploring for hotels, I noticed that my GPS in my car has been routing us off of the Turnpike far earlier than required. It's been telling us to exit around Port St. Lucie. We can actually stay on the turnpike until we hit I595.

If I was coming that way I'd get off the turnpike north of PSL as well. At that point Turnpike is no longer advantageous

No kidding. I've had mine set for shorter distance and had it throw me into the right hand collector lanes when there is a right hand curve ahead because it's a matter of hundreds of feet shorter. The only time I really relied on my GPS in Florida was to get me out on to I-95 from PBI the easiest way (I had a number of ideas in mind from looking at the maps, but wasn't sure the best route). Other than that, I usually have it figured out in my mind and use the GPS as a timing thing, and as confirmation I'm going where I want to. Plus, she talks to me nicer than my wife when giving directions lol.

Actually, I decided about two days after buying my first car with a GPS to turn the damn voice navigation off. Her opinion and mine often differ on the best route and I tire quickly of her telling me to turn around at every opportunity.

Also, wife and I have a system. She drives and I navigate. I watch the display for her and provide the "voice navigation".

If I was coming that way I'd get off the turnpike north of PSL as well. At that point Turnpike is no longer advantageous

John, glad you posted as I have a couple of questions.

If you're cruising out of FLL, do you drive down the day of the cruise? Reason I ask, we're contemplating changing our routing. Instead of driving to Lake City, spending the night, and then spending the night before the cruise in FLL, we considering overnighting around Ocala and then driving to FLL the morning of the cruise. Saves a day on the road, money on hotels, and one less day for the dogs in the kennel. Google maps says it would be about four hours drive time (figure five hours total) from Ocala to FLL. Figure we would probably hit the road about 0600. We're early risers.

Second question: If I'm coming south on the turnpike, google maps wants to route me onto I595, then north on Hwy 1, then east on 1A1, then south on Eisenhower to terminal 18. If I'm on 95, then google wants me to exit onto 1A1, then Eisenhower to terminal 18. Why not I595 to Eller and then to terminal. I could understand google's routing if I were sailing on Princess but on RCI?

About the turnpike, you have much more experience that we do but the wife prefers the turnpike. She thinks the traffic is better behaved.

John, glad you posted as I have a couple of questions.

If you're cruising out of FLL, do you drive down the day of the cruise? Reason I ask, we're contemplating changing our routing. Instead of driving to Lake City, spending the night, and then spending the night before the cruise in FLL, we considering overnighting around Ocala and then driving to FLL the morning of the cruise. Saves a day on the road, money on hotels, and one less day for the dogs in the kennel. Google maps says it would be about four hours drive time (figure five hours total) from Ocala to FLL. Figure we would probably hit the road about 0600. We're early risers.

Second question: If I'm coming south on the turnpike, google maps wants to route me onto I595, then north on Hwy 1, then east on 1A1, then south on Eisenhower to terminal 18. If I'm on 95, then google wants me to exit onto 1A1, then Eisenhower to terminal 18. Why not I595 to Eller and then to terminal. I could understand google's routing if I were sailing on Princess but on RCI?

About the turnpike, you have much more experience that we do but the wife prefers the turnpike. She thinks the traffic is better behaved.

No problem, happy to give my sage advice.

First off, now that we live in Cocoa Beach the Turnpike is really of no concern anymore. 95 all the way. Our last cruise out of FLL was a side to side from Enchantment in PC to Legend in FLL. We were off the Enchantment around 7:30, grabbed the suitcases for the 9 day Legend and on the road by 8:30. Arrived in FLL around noon. No traffic issues to speak of but had to stop for supplies once.

When we still lived in Atlanta I know we spent the night before cruise in FLL at least once. Stayed in Embassy Suites. My inlaws live in Ocala and we may have stayed there as well, i don't recall. But you are right, you should get there in around 4 hours. Not a lot further than our trip from Cocoa Beach. plus it's all highway and we probably wasted 30 minutes getting to 95. We always did direct trip from FLL back to Atlanta. Long drive

If you do stay in FLL the night before make sure you go to Jaxon's Ice Cream. And FWIW, i really don't see a lot of difference between staying in Lake City or Ocala. isn't it about 90 minutes away?

Good luck either way

Edited by John&LaLa

No problem, happy to give my sage advice.

First off, now that we live in Cocoa Beach the Turnpike is really of no concern anymore. 95 all the way. Our last cruise out of FLL was a side to side from Enchantment in PC to Legend in FLL. We were off the Enchantment around 7:30, grabbed the suitcases for the 9 day Legend and on the road by 8:30. Arrived in FLL around noon. No traffic issues to speak of but had to stop for supplies once.

When we still lived in Atlanta I know we spent the night before cruise in FLL at least once. Stayed in Embassy Suites. My inlaws live in Ocala and we may have stayed there as well, i don't recall. But you are right, you should get there in around 4 hours. Not a lot further than our trip from Cocoa Beach. plus it's all highway and we probably wasted 30 minutes getting to 95. We always did direct trip from FLL back to Atlanta. Long drive

If you do stay in FLL the night before make sure you go to Jaxon's Ice Cream. And FWIW, i really don't see a lot of difference between staying in Lake City or Ocala. isn't it about 90 minutes away?

Good luck either way

Thanks for answering my questions. I figured you would have some very pertinent advice.

Yes, Lake City to Ocala is about a hour fifteen to the hampton inn I've picked out.

We've gone out of FLL twice. Stayed in the ES the first time and had dinner at Kelly's Landing. Wife loved the fried oysters. A couple of weeks ago, we stayed at the Courtyard Marriot. Tried to book the ES but it was booked because of the boat show. (lesson learned, check the dates of the boat show before booking cruise.) The CY was wonderful but even more expensive than the ES. Had dinner at Bubba Gumps and loved it too.

We've decided, once we have the currently booked cruises out of the way, to focus on Port Canaveral for Royal and we want to try HAL out of Tampa. We probably will drive straight through for both (~10 hours driving time, 12 total) spending the night close to the port.

Question though. Was I right about taking I595 to Eiler and not 1A1 to Eisenhower?

Thanks for answering my questions. I figured you would have some very pertinent advice.

Yes, Lake City to Ocala is about a hour fifteen to the hampton inn I've picked out.

We've gone out of FLL twice. Stayed in the ES the first time and had dinner at Kelly's Landing. Wife loved the fried oysters. A couple of weeks ago, we stayed at the Courtyard Marriot. Tried to book the ES but it was booked because of the boat show. (lesson learned, check the dates of the boat show before booking cruise.) The CY was wonderful but even more expensive than the ES. Had dinner at Bubba Gumps and loved it too.

We've decided, once we have the currently booked cruises out of the way, to focus on Port Canaveral for Royal and we want to try HAL out of Tampa. We probably will drive straight through for both (~10 hours driving time, 12 total) spending the night close to the port.

Question though. Was I right about taking I595 to Eiler and not 1A1 to Eisenhower?

Did you go with Hampton on 200 or the one on 484. I like the one on 484, but more food choices on 200

Not sure I understand last question. I've always done 95 to the airport exit

Edited by John&LaLa

Did you go with Hampton on 200 or the one on 484. I like the one on 484, but more food choices on 200

Not sure I understand last question. I've always done 95 to the airport exit

Looked at both. You're right about the dining at 200 v. 484, but I was able to book the one at 484 for $50 less than the one at 200. 484 was offering a military discount which 200 didn't. Wife just wanted to be close to a cracker barrel. The one at 200 is closer but it's only about a half mile to the one at 484 so either one works. The one at 484 has a McDonald's as well. Probably grab a biscuit there in the AM to save time.

I was thinking that 95 to the airport exit is correct. Google maps wants to route through 1A1 past the Embassy Suites to Eisenhower or to route south of the airport and then north on Hwy to 1A1. Why not just get on 595 and then to Eiler? I thought you couldn't get to Terminal 18 from Eisenhower?

Two more questions about parking. We parked at the port last week and it was so convenient. We were less than 100 yards from the terminal to our car. Didn't have to wait for a shuttle and you know how far we have to drive to get home.

First question: Do you park at the port or offsite?

Second question: If we arrive at the port around 11:30 to 12, in your opinion, will the port lot be full?

Can't wait till Oasis moves to Canaveral. So much simpler.

Looked at both. You're right about the dining at 200 v. 484, but I was able to book the one at 484 for $50 less than the one at 200. 484 was offering a military discount which 200 didn't. Wife just wanted to be close to a cracker barrel. The one at 200 is closer but it's only about a half mile to the one at 484 so either one works. The one at 484 has a McDonald's as well. Probably grab a biscuit there in the AM to save time.

I was thinking that 95 to the airport exit is correct. Google maps wants to route through 1A1 past the Embassy Suites to Eisenhower or to route south of the airport and then north on Hwy to 1A1. Why not just get on 595 and then to Eiler? I thought you couldn't get to Terminal 18 from Eisenhower?

Two more questions about parking. We parked at the port last week and it was so convenient. We were less than 100 yards from the terminal to our car. Didn't have to wait for a shuttle and you know how far we have to drive to get home.

First question: Do you park at the port or offsite?

Second question: If we arrive at the port around 11:30 to 12, in your opinion, will the port lot be full?

Can't wait till Oasis moves to Canaveral. So much simpler.

We have parked at port last few times. Got the surface lot just to the north. You should be able to get in that early. Good thing about FLL is they only charge for 7 days. :D

Not sure why the google wants you to go the long way, but your instincts are correct as far as I'm concerned. 595 right into the port, left at the lights and arrive at 18. Even if sailing on Princess, I would go this way. Right turn into the terminal.

Not sure why the google wants you to go the long way, but your instincts are correct as far as I'm concerned. 595 right into the port, left at the lights and arrive at 18. Even if sailing on Princess, I would go this way. Right turn into the terminal.

I ran into this on our cruise a couple of weeks ago. It became obvious that our GPS was trying to route us towards the airport when we were already on Eiler. I could see Oasis so I just turned the GPS off and navigated by 'sense of smell'.