Tipping in Japan

jshli

I am finding conflicting information regarding tipping in Japan. Some sources are saying no to all tipping and some are saying yes under certain circumstances.

In Japan, do we tip the driver for the shared shuttle ride from the airport to our downtown Tokyo hotel?

Do we tip the tour guide for a day tour?

Do we tip the person who takes our luggage to our room?

If we should, can anyone give me an idea in each case of how much?

Have had many trips to Japan and always found they do not expect and won't accept a tip. On our most recent cruise and land trip in August i tried to tip the taxi drivers the small change but they insisted on giving me change no matter how small. Just smile and say arigato (thank you) with a slight bow of your head. They are lovely gracious people who want to go out of their way to help you enjoy their beautiful country.

They also have a 100yen shop that is fantastic for buying little treasures to bring home to the grandkidlets.

Do a google search, there are many articles about tipping in Japan, the following is one

http://goasia.about.com/od/Customs-and-Traditions/qt/Tipping-in-Japan.htm

We did tip our tour guide on a multi day trip (US$ 10 a day per person) and it was accepted without an issue. I think the tour guides are use to dealing with foreigners and understand it's the custom at "home". We never tipped the driver of the bus or van, the same for taxi.

We did a small group tour in Japan and our Japanese guide collected money from us (not much) to give to the local guide. He put the money in an envelope before handing it over. Other than that, no tipping.

I tried to tip our excellent and free tour guide in Matsumoto castle and he immediately said no. They were volunteers.