CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Thank you so much for taking time from your cruise to reply.

I don't have the cab numbers, but can find them...I think I saw them on tomsportguide.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

Archie’s Cab & Van Service

201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi

201-339-8300

I love Toms Port Guides - I've used them over the years. However, things do change for the NY ports. If you have specific questions, please ask. IMO taxi fares and car services can be tricky - there are a ton of rules and prices seem to constantly change.

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

Archie’s Cab & Van Service

201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi

201-339-8300

I love Toms Port Guides - I've used them over the years. However, things do change for the NY ports. If you have specific questions, please ask. IMO taxi fares and car services can be tricky - there are a ton of rules and prices seem to constantly change.

You are the best. Thank you so much!!

The more posts I read- the more confused I get. So if my questions are covered elsewhere- please forgive.

We have 2 cruises coming up that involve EWR/NYC. Know so little about the logistics as we live in Orlando and really don't deal with trains, taxis etc.

First cruise is Anthem on 5/14 out of Cape Liberty. We are coming in 2 days early and are not sure how to get to the port/best option.

We can stay in Manhatten - but I am worried getting to the ship from there could pose a challenge. Too much luggage for subway so taxi would be our option.

We are currently booked at the Hyatt on the Hudson - but we have to take a taxi to that hotel and then would need to then taxi it to the ship.

Or we can stay at EWR and then take a taxi or transfer to the port.

Any suggestions?

Our second cruise is a transatlantic Disney that gets in to Manhattan pier on 9/28.

I am completely at a loss.

Do we rent a car?

We are not planning on staying in Manhatten; but, will not be flying out that day either.

I need the fastest and easiest way to get out of the city on that Wednesday.

Getting to EWR is our desire; but, I don't know how to do it and subway/train is not desirable.

Any suggestions?

Just had to re-book my flight home from EWR due to the cancelled Anthem cruise returning to Bayonne. Fortunately I was at guest services when one crew informed the one helping me that therey are offering free transfers to the airport! He didn't seem to know exactly how to get me one so wrote my room number on the sheet but I think something was off with it. I believe it may have only been for customers who had back to back cruises or something of that nature since it had hotels on there, and they were definitely not offering me a hotel to last until my original flight home on Saturday! Anyway time will tell when I get my luggage tags! Hopefully there's something on it for those with transfers booked from RCI!

The more posts I read- the more confused I get. So if my questions are covered elsewhere- please forgive.

We have 2 cruises coming up that involve EWR/NYC. Know so little about the logistics as we live in Orlando and really don't deal with trains, taxis etc.

First cruise is Anthem on 5/14 out of Cape Liberty. We are coming in 2 days early and are not sure how to get to the port/best option.

We can stay in Manhatten - but I am worried getting to the ship from there could pose a challenge. Too much luggage for subway so taxi would be our option.

We are currently booked at the Hyatt on the Hudson - but we have to take a taxi to that hotel and then would need to then taxi it to the ship.

Or we can stay at EWR and then take a taxi or transfer to the port.

Any suggestions?

Our second cruise is a transatlantic Disney that gets in to Manhattan pier on 9/28.

I am completely at a loss.

Do we rent a car?

We are not planning on staying in Manhatten; but, will not be flying out that day either.

I need the fastest and easiest way to get out of the city on that Wednesday.

Getting to EWR is our desire; but, I don't know how to do it and subway/train is not desirable.

Any suggestions?

These are great questions for someone who is used to cruising Florida. NY/NJ works entirely differently.

1) for staying in Manhattan - what airport are you flying into? If EWR you need book either a car service to go to Manhattan or take the http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/. For a car service look at Dial7 or Carmellimo - there are online coupons if you search. Do NOT take a taxi because you are going from NJ to NY. Also don't mess with Supershuttle unless you potentially want to ride around Manhattan dropping folks off before you get to your hotel. IMO the Hyatt in Jersey City is an excellent choice. You can take a cab from the airport to the hotel and a cab from the hotel to the pier. The Hyatt is right at the Exchange Place PATH station - quick one stop ride to the World Trade Center in downtown Manhattan where you can get a subway to anywhere in Midtown NY. IMO staying on the waterfront in Jersey City is wonderful compared to staying at EWR.

2). I'm unclear as to exactly what you're doing post cruise. Why do you need a car? Are you staying at EWR and exploring places in NJ from there? Please clarify.

Just had to re-book my flight home from EWR due to the cancelled Anthem cruise returning to Bayonne. Fortunately I was at guest services when one crew informed the one helping me that therey are offering free transfers to the airport! He didn't seem to know exactly how to get me one so wrote my room number on the sheet but I think something was off with it. I believe it may have only been for customers who had back to back cruises or something of that nature since it had hotels on there, and they were definitely not offering me a hotel to last until my original flight home on Saturday! Anyway time will tell when I get my luggage tags! Hopefully there's something on it for those with transfers booked from RCI!

OMG - you're on the Anthem!!! What time is your flight home?

I've sailed many times from CL at this exact tome of year, but this year I'm sitting on the Adventure instead.

Do you have private (non RCL) travel insurance? If so, you are probably covered for trip interruption, so you might want to book a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo to take you to the airport and not mess with a "free" airport transfer. Cape Liberty is likely to be a mess and RCL is likely not to have a well organized plan in place for you.

Question about transit system

I've been trying to research the NY-NJ transit system and am wondering if it is cost effective to purchase the metro card. The pricing on the NY RT side list $3 for single ride...but also list $2.75..not sure if that is the price with the metro card. PATH shows $2.75. If I were to buy ONE metrocard and fill it with enough money for both my husband and I for the two days we will be touring, am I really saving anything?

Also I've been reading about the NJ light rail...is there anyway to get around having to get a ticket and validating? Do they have passes/cards? Their website is awful, I couldn't even find what a ticket costs! I googled it, and found that it is $2.25 each way.

Any feedback/suggestions welcome.

Hi thanks for the info. We are renting a car from Manhatten on a Sunday - and driving to DC.

When we sail on September- we are thinking about just renting a car and flying out of Phili - that way we can check out the sites. I know I have heard that driving is a nightmare in NYC; but, I am hoping on a weekend maybe not so bad?

Question about transit system

I've been trying to research the NY-NJ transit system and am wondering if it is cost effective to purchase the metro card. The pricing on the NY RT side list $3 for single ride...but also list $2.75..not sure if that is the price with the metro card. PATH shows $2.75. If I were to buy ONE metrocard and fill it with enough money for both my husband and I for the two days we will be touring, am I really saving anything?

Also I've been reading about the NJ light rail...is there anyway to get around having to get a ticket and validating? Do they have passes/cards? Their website is awful, I couldn't even find what a ticket costs! I googled it, and found that it is $2.25 each way.

Any feedback/suggestions welcome.

Don't get crazy about the light rail tickets. How many times are you going to use them? The choices seem to be monthly pass or individual tickets.

It's really very easy to use. You buy you tickets from the machine. If you're going to use them immediately, you validate the ones you are using and keep the invalidated tickets for future use. It's really an honor system like they have in some US and European cities (I've used it in Portland OR). There are usually no lines to buy or validate tickets. You just walk on the train and the chances are that no one will ever even check to see that you have a ticket.

Don't get crazy about the light rail tickets. How many times are you going to use them? The choices seem to be monthly pass or individual tickets.

It's really very easy to use. You buy you tickets from the machine. If you're going to use them immediately, you validate the ones you are using and keep the invalidated tickets for future use. It's really an honor system like they have in some US and European cities (I've used it in Portland OR). There are usually no lines to buy or validate tickets. You just walk on the train and the chances are that no one will ever even check to see that you have a ticket.

Ok, I can buy multiple tickets at once and just worry about validating them. There was also mention of stations having several validation machines and a problem of validating then the train not coming on time and having to buy another ticket.

How do you feel about the metrocard for the subway/PATH?

We are sailing out of Cape Liberty Dec 16, 2016. We would like to spend 2-3 nights in New York to see the sights. Looking for budget friendly accommodation suggestions wouldn't mind staying near the cruise terminal as it would be cheaper than right in New York City. We will need parking, and have kids ages 2, 10, 13, and 16. So hotel suggestions and things to do as well as ideas to help keep the costs down would be great help!

Thanks in advance!

We are sailing out of Cape Liberty Dec 16, 2016. We would like to spend 2-3 nights in New York to see the sights. Looking for budget friendly accommodation suggestions wouldn't mind staying near the cruise terminal as it would be cheaper than right in New York City. We will need parking, and have kids ages 2, 10, 13, and 16. So hotel suggestions and things to do as well as ideas to help keep the costs down would be great help!

Thanks in advance!

Pages back, it was suggested staying in the Newport area of Jersey City. There's a water taxi/ ferry right across the street into Manhattan.

That's what we plan to do when we arrive back from our Anthem cruise. Right now, we're staying only one night, but we're driving home late Saturday. It's around a five-hour drive.

We haven't made any hotel reservations yet, but will soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok, I can buy multiple tickets at once and just worry about validating them. There was also mention of stations having several validation machines and a problem of validating then the train not coming on time and having to buy another ticket.

As Carol says, the ticket machines for the light rail are very easy to use; you will see them either at the entrance to the light rail platform or on the platform itself, depending on the particular station. The validation machines are usually right next to, or very close to, the ticket machines; they are bright orange. You just stick the ticket into the slot in the validation machine, and then pull it out again; the machine automatically stamps the ticket with the date and a specific time.

If I recall correctly, the time stamped on the ticket is an hour or so later than the time at which you have validated the ticket, which gives you plenty of time for your journey. Trains run every few minutes; I've never had any worries that the ticket would "expire" before my train arrived--it's never happened to me. (The only potential problem I ever had was with a validation machine that had run out of ink; the validation machine "clicked" when I inserted the ticket, but the time stamp did not print out on the ticket, although a faint impression was visible on the ticket.)

Tickets are rarely inspected; in fact, you probably won't ever encounter a ticket inspector--there are just occasional spot checks, to deter deliberate "fare jumping" by those few people who might be inclined not to pay for their journey. (Every so often there's some kid who thinks it's cool to ride without paying for a ticket, but the overwhelming majority of passengers are honest.)

By the way, if you're going into Manhattan on the PATH train, you really won't need to use the light rail at all for that journey. The Exchange Place PATH station is just a 7- or 8-minutes walk from the Candlewood Suites.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/40.7209748,-74.0337722/40.7169929,-74.0326837/@40.7187942,-74.0333629,17z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e2

As for using a metrocard for the PATH trains and the New York City subways: Depending on how many trips you make, there usually is a savings to buying a multiple-trip card as opposed to paying for each trip individually. (Plus, it's more convenient to purchase one card that will cover all of your trips, rather than buying an individual ticket each time.) Try to estimate in advance how many total rides you and your husband expect to make, then decide which option will work best for you. Also remember: Two riders can use the same multi-trip metrocard; you don't need to purchase a separate metrocard for each person.

For more information about buying and using metrocards, see:

http://web.mta.info/metrocard/

http://web.mta.info/metrocard/mcCombinationValue.htm

I'm also not sure how the ferry's work in December...will they still be something to do with the family in the cold?

NY Waterway ferries operate on the same schedule during the winter as they do the rest of the year. However, service can be affected if there is a lot of ice in the Hudson River (rare, but it happens) or during a major nor'easter or hurricane.

Most tourists (and many regular passengers) prefer to ride topside, on the open deck, where you will get great views of the river and the New York City skyline. However, in cold or otherwise inclement weather, you will be more comfortable sitting inside the large, enclosed, heated cabin on the lower deck, although your views will probably be somewhat obscured by the fogged and/or dirty windows.

http://www.nywaterway.com/Home.aspx

As Carol says, the ticket machines for the light rail are very easy to use; you will see them either at the entrance to the light rail platform or on the platform itself, depending on the particular station. The validation machines are usually right next to, or very close to, the ticket machines; they are bright orange. You just stick the ticket into the slot in the validation machine, and then pull it out again; the machine automatically stamps the ticket with the date and a specific time.

If I recall correctly, the time stamped on the ticket is an hour or so later than the time at which you have validated the ticket, which gives you plenty of time for your journey. Trains run every few minutes; I've never had any worries that the ticket would "expire" before my train arrived--it's never happened to me. (The only potential problem I ever had was with a validation machine that had run out of ink; the validation machine "clicked" when I inserted the ticket, but the time stamp did not print out on the ticket, although a faint impression was visible on the ticket.)

Tickets are rarely inspected; in fact, you probably won't ever encounter a ticket inspector--there are just occasional spot checks, to deter deliberate "fare jumping" by those few people who might be inclined not to pay for their journey. (Every so often there's some kid who thinks it's cool to ride without paying for a ticket, but the overwhelming majority of passengers are honest.)

By the way, if you're going into Manhattan on the PATH train, you really won't need to use the light rail at all for that journey. The Exchange Place PATH station is just a 7- or 8-minutes walk from the Candlewood Suites.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/40.7209748,-74.0337722/40.7169929,-74.0326837/@40.7187942,-74.0333629,17z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e2

As for using a metrocard for the PATH trains and the New York City subways: Depending on how many trips you make, there usually is a savings to buying a multiple-trip card as opposed to paying for each trip individually. (Plus, it's more convenient to purchase one card that will cover all of your trips, rather than buying an individual ticket each time.) Try to estimate in advance how many total rides you and your husband expect to make, then decide which option will work best for you. Also remember: Two riders can use the same multi-trip metrocard; you don't need to purchase a separate metrocard for each person.

For more information about buying and using metrocards, see:

http://web.mta.info/metrocard/

http://web.mta.info/metrocard/mcCombinationValue.htm

Thank you so much for the information. I think we would only use the light rail to get to Liberty State Park to ride the SOL ferry (was told the lines are shorter and can get off at Battery Park to continue touring- we would return via PATH) and also if we decide to do the light rail/taxi option to get to port. So 4 tickets

Thank you so much for the information. I think we would only use the light rail to get to Liberty State Park to ride the SOL ferry (was told the lines are shorter and can get off at Battery Park to continue touring- we would return via PATH) and also if we decide to do the light rail/taxi option to get to port. So 4 tickets

Do NOT take the light rail to Liberty State Park light rail station unless you are willing to walk 1+ mile in the open to get to the ferry.

You can take the light rail to Essex, walk 4 blocks to the Liberty Landing Ferry at the foot Warren Street, and pay the $2 to cross the channel to be within easy walking distance if the SOL ferry.

IMO there is no reason to buy light rail tickets before you need to use them.

Do NOT take the light rail to Liberty State Park light rail station unless you are willing to walk 1+ mile in the open to get to the ferry.

You can take the light rail to Essex, walk 4 blocks to the Liberty Landing Ferry at the foot Warren Street, and pay the $2 to cross the channel to be within easy walking distance if the SOL ferry.

IMO there is no reason to buy light rail tickets before you need to use them.

Wow. I'm sure glad I posted my plan. Thank you I will make a notation on my notes.

Thanks in advance!

Sorry I didn't post sooner, but I'm cruising!

Rooms for 6 are tough in NYC and need to be booked early. I found this site with suggestions for 6 in Manhattan - http://sixsuitcasetravel.com/advanced-search/search-results?order=distance&query=all&criteria=1&jr_address=New+York+City%2C+ny&jr_radius=20&jr_latitude=40.7127837&jr_longitude=-74.00594130000002

The Doubletree in Jersey City may be your best bet to lodge yourselves and your car. I'm seeing a rate for 6 of $279 + tax. Parking is $25 (Manhattan would be $50-60). Walk to Newport PATH station. Your will be there on weekdays, so PATH will have direct service to both midtown and downtown from Newport. If you want to go to the Statue of Liberty, it's an easy drive to Liberty State Park where parking is only $7.

This thread is a wealth of information! Thank you so much! I have a question that you hopefully can give me some advice on...

I'm in the process of choosing a cruise and part of that process is comparing costs of flying/driving/parking for each option. Our #1 choice right now is the Sunshine out of NYC in June 2017. My husband and I have sailed out of NYC before with 2 other couples (no kids) and we drove down the day of the cruise in one minivan and split the cost of the expensive parking. This time, it will be just us and our young adult children plus our son's girlfriend. So, 6 of us. Our car only seats 5. We plan on driving down the day of unless we can find a cost effective way to come down the night before (if that's a better option).

So, it won't work to drive down in 2 cars because that's SO much money to park! We have family right outside of Hartford, CT where we could either stay the night before or we could catch a bus or train from Hartford? If we take a bus or train in, where does that leave us? How do we get to the port from there? What about on the way back? Is it easy to get back to that bus or train location?

What is our best option do you think?