CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Sailing on Breakaway sometime in January 2017 and have never been to NY before. We plan to arrive a few days early and would like to see some of the tourist sights such as Central Park, Empire State Building, Rockefeller Centre, Times Square, World Trade Ctr Memorial, Grand Central Station etc. Looking for suggestions for the following:

1. Which airport should we fly into if we plan to stay in Manhattan? (and which method of transportation should we take to get from airport to a Manhattan hotel? Approximate costs?)

2. How many days do you think we will need pre-cruise to take in the sights?

3. Looking for reasonably priced place to stay and not opposed to using Priceline/Hotwire etc. Which Priceline areas are recommended that will be close to the tourist sights as well as the cruise port?

4. Should we taxi to the Manhattan Cruise port? Or do most hotels provide shuttles?

5. Post cruise, what is the most efficient/cost effective way to get back to the airport?

Thank you!

Last time I cruised out of Bayonne I stayed at the Staten Island Hilton. It was just fine especially since the shuttles were free then. But, it was very noisy due to wedding parties.

I'm thinking of the Country Inn for this October. I read the last 10 or so pages of this thread to catch up and it seems a suitable choice. Is that correct?

I know Carol was talking about some new place but now I cannot remember. I do see that the shuttle is not free and I am fine with that.

Thank you.

Sailing on Breakaway sometime in January 2017 and have never been to NY before. We plan to arrive a few days early and would like to see some of the tourist sights such as Central Park, Empire State Building, Rockefeller Centre, Times Square, World Trade Ctr Memorial, Grand Central Station etc. Looking for suggestions for the following:

1. Which airport should we fly into if we plan to stay in Manhattan? (and which method of transportation should we take to get from airport to a Manhattan hotel? Approximate costs?)

2. How many days do you think we will need pre-cruise to take in the sights?

3. Looking for reasonably priced place to stay and not opposed to using Priceline/Hotwire etc. Which Priceline areas are recommended that will be close to the tourist sights as well as the cruise port?

4. Should we taxi to the Manhattan Cruise port? Or do most hotels provide shuttles?

5. Post cruise, what is the most efficient/cost effective way to get back to the airport?

Thank you!

1). LaGuardia - car service or taxi about $45-50 incl tip and tolls

Newark - airport bus $32/pp round trip + cab to hotel or from pier $10-15 for midtown hotel. Car service is more expensive. Do not take a taxi between NJ and NY. Taxi between NY and Newark Airport is based on a fixed formula.

JFK - car service or taxi $65-75 incl tip & tolls

2). As many days as you can afford.

3). Any midtown west location - west of 5th ave between 23rd and 57th

4). Taxi. There are no hotel shuttles.

5). Probably the same way you got to Manhattan coming in.

Last time I cruised out of Bayonne I stayed at the Staten Island Hilton. It was just fine especially since the shuttles were free then. But, it was very noisy due to wedding parties.

I'm thinking of the Country Inn for this October. I read the last 10 or so pages of this thread to catch up and it seems a suitable choice. Is that correct?

I know Carol was talking about some new place but now I cannot remember. I do see that the shuttle is not free and I am fine with that.

Thank you.

Country Inns is fine. Also check out Embassy Suites.

The new place that has been discussed is a park/sleep/cruise for cruisers from Manhattan - Hilton Gardens in Ridgefield Park.

Country Inns is fine. Also check out Embassy Suites.

Thank you so much. I didn't know about the new Embassy Suites. I assume they do not have shuttle to the port. Not an issue though.

I recommended them because they do offer a shuttle to the port as part of a sleep/cruise package.

Sorry but I am sure this has been mentioned somewhere but we need to get from the port off Anthem of the Seas in October for a flight at JFK. However, it is not until 3 pm so not a mad rush. Any advice please. Regards Lynda

I'd check to see if an excursion is offered that does a NY tour with a JFK drop off that will accommodate a 3 pm flight. Otherwise you probably want to book a car service transfer and go straight to JFK or just get off the ship as late as possible and have the taxi dispatcher arrange transportation for you.

How come it won't let me make reservations on the last sea day, June 10? Are the dining rooms closed?

If you're booked directly with RCL I'd call and ask. If you're booked with a TA, call them and have them find out. The RCL IT system is notorious and often behaves badly!

I am so confused....cruising on Anthem in Oct....interested in Embassy Suites or Country Inn and Suites....what town or area should I be looking?

They are actually in Elizabeth, NJ. The address of both hotels very recently changed from Glimcher Realty Way to something like International Blvd. I'm sure this change has yet not rippled out 100% through the Internet.

need transportation for 2 from penn station Hilton to cape liberty for sept cruise and also ride for 6 from cape liberty to ewr in oct. Read so many posts, but all confusing!

Your basic choices from the Newark Penn Station Hilton are taxi or car service. Public transit plus local Bayonne cab is also an option.

For car services we recommend Dial7 or Carmellimo. Look for coupons online. You can also call the Hilton and ask them who they recommend and what it would cost. For two people expect to pay $55-65.

For a no frills service for 6 you can call Independent driver - 888-816-0973

inde.drvr@gmail.com. They book 4-6 weeks out.

Hi. We are in Times Square the night before and trying to figure out how to get to Bayonne.

I understand a taxi is not an option from NY to NJ.

Dial7 and allstate have gotten some really bad reviews lately- mostly about not showing up.

We dont want to have that happen. Kinda nervous about being in Times Square and not being able to get to the ship if our car doesnt show.

Anyone have experience with this and have a suggestion?

Hi. We are in Times Square the night before and trying to figure out how to get to Bayonne.

I understand a taxi is not an option from NY to NJ.

Dial7 and allstate have gotten some really bad reviews lately- mostly about not showing up.

We dont want to have that happen. Kinda nervous about being in Times Square and not being able to get to the ship if our car doesnt show.

Anyone have experience with this and have a suggestion?

If you're so nervous, call your hotel and have them arrange the transportation. You may pay a bit more for it, but that might give you more peace of mind.

Personally I'd go with a large operation car service with a big pool of cars. Call them to confirm. You are leaving from a hotel, not some street corner in Manhattan. It should be easy to connect with a car service.

Driving in the night before our Anthem cruise. What city should I look for a hotel in for the night? Or just stay near the airport? Just two of us. Thanks!!

Where are you driving from? What route? What date? What time do you plan to arrive?

You can always stay in the airport area. However we often recommend the strategy of staying about 45 minutes out in a more suburban area. The hotels are nicer, are usually less expensive, and it avoids the jumbled mess of roads around the airport which can be confusing, particularly in the dark. There are also more services in the suburban areas like restaurants and shopping.

Edited by 138east

Thanks, we are driving from Michigan on April 17th. Will be arriving late. We will be coming across 80 to 24 to 78.

That's a long drive. You are the perfect candidates to get off the road in the Parsipanny NJ area where there are a lot of nice suburban hotels that cater to business travelers. What is your hotel budget? Rates are good on a Sunday night.

The next morning you can have a nice breakfast, leave after 9 am and drive to Cape Liberty, most likely about 45 minutes. You will not have to deal with the airport area at all other than to drive past it.

Sorry, totally new to this so I hope I am doing this correctly.

Does anyone have any suggestions for less expensive parking at Cape Liberty? Or is it better to stay in a hotel and leave the car there? We are only about 3-4 hours away.

Thanks!

Klmnh...sounds familiar!

We're from Central PA about 3-4 hrs from the port. We found parking at the port the easiest. For the sake of a few dollars it saves a lot of time instead of paying less and transferring to/from an offsite lot.

Following last year's Liberty cruise we literally walked from the terminal with our seven bags to our car, and proceeded home. Very easy and worth a few dollars more than going to an offsite location.