CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

I'm dreading the ride home. Joe - what do you think it would be like to try to sneak into the Holland Tunnel via Marin Blvd in Jersey City? Or should I just suck it up and deal with the GW Bridge traffic? I did the Holland Tunnel about a year ago on a Monday from the Courtyard in Jersey City and it was easy, but that was at 7 am. Going up the west side was also easy. I'm not sure I will be able to get off so early from the cruise.

I would wait and get off the ship after rush hour. By 9:30 - 10 it should be better.

I would wait and get off the ship after rush hour. By 9:30 - 10 it should be better.

Thanks Gayle. I'd love to do that, But unfortunately I need to put in some work hours on Monday, so I have to get going on the drive to Boston.

Thanks Gayle. I'd love to do that, But unfortunately I need to put in some work hours on Monday, so I have to get going on the drive to Boston.

If you're going to Boston, why not head north to the Tappan Zee Bridge to I-95, or even get on the NYS Thruway and go across on I-84? Either has to be better than the GWB.

Edited by MisterBill99

Can anyone recommend an economical way for our group of 12 to get from Cape Liberty to downtown NYC (specifically the Hilton Garden Inn near Times Square)? We don't mind taking multiple vehicles, if that is more economical.

Thank

We are using Angel Express Transportation for our group of 8 in May. I found them through Groupon and Jason's response to all my questions was almost immediate. We are using them for transportation from hotel to ship, ship to NYC & NYC to Newark airport. Their cost was considerably less then the New York based transportation companies.

After I worked out the cost of Hudson Bergen Light Rail, Path tickets and 2 cabs for 8 people from the port to the light rail station and then the Path final stop in NYC to our hotel, it wasn't worth all the hassle. Especially with luggage!

https://www.facebook.com/angelexpresstransportation/

I'm dreading the ride home. Joe - what do you think it would be like to try to sneak into the Holland Tunnel via Marin Blvd in Jersey City? Or should I just suck it up and deal with the GW Bridge traffic? I did the Holland Tunnel about a year ago on a Monday from the Courtyard in Jersey City and it was easy, but that was at 7 am. Going up the west side was also easy. I'm not sure I will be able to get off so early from the cruise.

The first thing you have to remember is WINS or WCBS is your best friend on Monday morning. You will have to keep your options open and hope for the best. And yes, the Tappan Zee is also an option. I have done it that way once to New England. That route you are going in the opposite direction of the flow of traffic the whole way. It's just that it is somewhat of a ride to get there. Garden State Parkway to the Thruway from Bayonne is a bit of a hike.

Edited by bayonnejoe

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I will listen to the traffic report.

I just don't ever do the Garden State, Tappan Zee, I84 or I95 - there would have to be an extraordinary emergency for me to go on any of those roads. I feel most at home in Westchester Co where I know lots of alternative routes plus I have places to stop by at if necessary. Wish me luck!

I just don't ever do the Garden State, Tappan Zee, I84 or I95 - there would have to be an extraordinary emergency for me to go on any of those roads. I feel most at home in Westchester Co where I know lots of alternative routes plus I have places to stop by at if necessary. Wish me luck!

So if I had said the Tappan Zee to I-287 and then across Westchester would that have been better for you? We've discussed similar stuff before and I will do almost anything to avoid the GWB and Cross Bronx and taking one of the tunnels and ending up in Manhattan is probably even worse.

I haven't looked at a map to figure out how far out of the way it is, but if you got onto the NYS Thruway northbound instead of getting onto 287 towards the TZB you might be able to drive on 65 MPH roads much of the way. Then you get onto I-84 and take it thru CT.

I don't do the Cross Bronx or I84 west of Hartford either. I have had good success with the Holland Tunnel (sneaking in on Marin Blvd at the Tunnel entrance) and going up West St/12th Ave to get on the West Side Highway/Henry Hudson Parkway to the Cross County Parkway to the Hutchinson River Parkway to the Merritt Parkway. It isn't always perfect, but the odds are good. Traffic reports will be the determining factor. I usually don't recommend this route to others who don't know the area.

Edited by 138east

So if I had said the Tappan Zee to I-287 and then across Westchester would that have been better for you? We've discussed similar stuff before and I will do almost anything to avoid the GWB and Cross Bronx and taking one of the tunnels and ending up in Manhattan is probably even worse.

I haven't looked at a map to figure out how far out of the way it is, but if you got onto the NYS Thruway northbound instead of getting onto 287 towards the TZB you might be able to drive on 65 MPH roads much of the way. Then you get onto I-84 and take it thru CT.

We always used to take the Tappan Zee when leaving from Bayonne, when we went to visit relatives from Connecticut and Cape Cod. It always seemed like a much nicer ride.

I don't do the Cross Bronx or I84 west of Hartford either. I have had good success with the Holland Tunnel (sneaking in on Marin Blvd at the Tunnel entrance) and going up West St/12th Ave to get on the West Side Highway/Henry Hudson Parkway to the Cross County Parkway to the Hutchinson River Parkway to the Merritt Parkway. It isn't always perfect, but the odds are good. Traffic reports will be the determining factor. I usually don't recommend this route to others who don't know the area.

Carol ~ Although I don't drive between NJ & NYC anymore (I used to, through the Lincoln Tunnel), I listen to New York radio stations most mornings, so am exposed to frequent rush-hour traffic reports. The three Hudson River crossings (GWB, Holland & Lincoln tunnels) invariably seem to have morning rush-hour backups of anywhere from 10-15 minutes (typical) to an hour (if something really goes awry on the roads), but my general sense is that the Holland Tunnel usually has the fewest problems of the three.

For what it's worth, a day or two ago the traffic reports warned of major backups of an hour on the GWB & GWB approaches into NYC. This morning, the longest reported delay was at the Lincoln Tunnel (supposedly a half hour, due to an accident on the 495 approach to the tunnel). Of course, just as in the financial markets, past performance is no guarantee of future results.

I agree that taking the Holland Tunnel probably makes the most sense if you're coming from Bayonne--all the more so as you're familiar and comfortable with the route.

Good luck, & bon voyage!

Carol ~ Although I don't drive between NJ & NYC anymore (I used to, through the Lincoln Tunnel), I listen to New York radio stations most mornings, so am exposed to frequent rush-hour traffic reports. The three Hudson River crossings (GWB, Holland & Lincoln tunnels) invariably seem to have morning rush-hour backups of anywhere from 10-15 minutes (typical) to an hour (if something really goes awry on the roads), but my general sense is that the Holland Tunnel usually has the fewest problems of the three.

For what it's worth, a day or two ago the traffic reports warned of major backups of an hour on the GWB & GWB approaches into NYC. This morning, the longest reported delay was at the Lincoln Tunnel (supposedly a half hour, due to an accident on the 495 approach to the tunnel). Of course, just as in the financial markets, past performance is no guarantee of future results.

I agree that taking the Holland Tunnel probably makes the most sense if you're coming from Bayonne--all the more so as you're familiar and comfortable with the route.

Good luck, & bon voyage!

Thanks for the feedback. Many years ago we used to live on Montgomery St in Jersey City and sneaking into the Holland Tunnel from the last cross street was almost always easy. My inlaws lived in West New York, so we also knew all the ways to sneak into the Lincoln Tunnel or GW Bridge from the local streets. It's always a crap shoot.

This is why I use the Tappan Zee Bridge. It is also a Hudson River crossing, just further north. And if the plan is to go to CT or further, I think it's a much better option than dealing with the GWB or one of the tunnels. And you get to avoid NYC traffic. And it's cheaper than the other options.

We always used to take the Tappan Zee when leaving from Bayonne, when we went to visit relatives from Connecticut and Cape Cod. It always seemed like a much nicer ride.

It is. Unfortunately, Carol is not comfortable going that way, so she doesn't use it nor does she recommend it. I'm glad to hear that someone else here agrees that it's a good route.

This is why I use the Tappan Zee Bridge. It is also a Hudson River crossing, just further north. And if the plan is to go to CT or further, I think it's a much better option than dealing with the GWB or one of the tunnels. And you get to avoid NYC traffic. And it's cheaper than the other options.

It is. Unfortunately, Carol is not comfortable going that way, so she doesn't use it nor does she recommend it. I'm glad to hear that someone else here agrees that it's a good route.

Why do you say unfortunately? Carol gave her opinion what she would do. Others gave their opinion. There is no one definitive answer. It is up to the reader to decide which opinion to follow.

Why do you say unfortunately? Carol gave her opinion what she would do. Others gave their opinion. There is no one definitive answer. It is up to the reader to decide which opinion to follow.

Thank you! There is no one definitive answer even for me. I will actually decide the morning of disembarkation depending on the traffic reports. The last time I did this trip on a weekday morning the bad traffic bottleneck was actually in Stamford/New Canaan. The Holland Tunnel and the west side was absolutely no problem. BTW this is a route I never recommend to others.

As we have had to reschedule our travel plans since our last post, I was hoping 138east or anyone could help me out. We will be driving from southern nh to cape liberty on June 15 and staying at the country inn and and suites at newark airport before driving to the port on the 16th. We would catch 495 in haverhill ma. I would also like directions to the port from the hotel if possible. I know gps would get me there but I know there are better routes. Thank you! (We will be traveling mid morning if that makes a difference)

Thank you! There is no one definitive answer even for me. I will actually decide the morning of disembarkation depending on the traffic reports. The last time I did this trip on a weekday morning the bad traffic bottleneck was actually in Stamford/New Canaan. The Holland Tunnel and the west side was absolutely no problem. BTW this is a route I never recommend to others.

Do you have WAZE? You must. We always have it set to "fastest route". It has saved us a bunch of times by giving us a different route we would never even known existed.

As we have had to reschedule our travel plans since our last post, I was hoping 138east or anyone could help me out. We will be driving from southern nh to cape liberty on June 15 and staying at the country inn and and suites at newark airport before driving to the port on the 16th. We would catch 495 in haverhill ma. I would also like directions to the port from the hotel if possible. I know gps would get me there but I know there are better routes. Thank you! (We will be traveling mid morning if that makes a difference)

I495 to I290 through Worcester to the Mass Pike in Auburn. Go one exit west to Sturbridge to pick up I84 west to I91 south in Hartford (Charter Oak Bridge exit). On I91 take exit 17 marked W Cross Parkway. This becomes the Merritt Parkway at Milford.

The Merritt Pkwy becomes the Hutchinson River Pkwy at the NY/CT line. From the Hutch take exit 15 in New Rochelle to get on the Cross County Pkwy. Stay in the middle left lane, which will become the left lane when the road "scrunches". This leads onto the Saw Mill River Pkwy South which becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy at the NYC line ($5 toll - if no EZPass they will bill you in the mail and you need to pay it!). The toll is worth every penny.

You take the George Washington Bridge exit - left exit - stay in right lane to get on the ramp that up goes and around directly onto the bridge. On the bridge slide over to the middle left lane. Follow the NJ Turnpike signs. When you get on the turnpike, follow the first set of Lincoln Tunnel signs to get on the eastern spur of the turnpike, but don't get off at the actual tunnel exit. Continue on to Exit 13A which is the exit for Country Inns.

From Country Inns get on the turnpike north and go one exit to exit 14-14A-14B-14C and follow the signs to exit 14A.

At exit 14A you follow the signs to route 440 South. Make the first left at Goldsborough Drive and follow the traffic 2 miles to the pier.

Edited by 138east

Do you have WAZE? You must. We always have it set to "fastest route". It has saved us a bunch of times by giving us a different route we would never even known existed.

I do have Waze. What I don't have is someone with me to look at it!

Sitting in my room at the Country Inn - I had promised to report back with my experience getting here and booking the cruise shuttle!

So... I waited for a full 30 minutes for the hotel shuttle at the airport. The shuttle showed up with nobody on it, and I was the only one that got on so I got my own private ride to the hotel.

I requested a renovated room on my reservation as the hotel is half-remodeled. Unfortunately there were no renovated King rooms when I checked in so I settled for a renovated room with 2 queens instead. The room is really nice - big improvement from the old style! Plugs in the headboards of the beds for charging, new furniture, new carpets, etc.

I inquired about the cruise shuttle at check-in - it was $18.35 including tax. I paid cash but they could have charged my card as well. I had a choice of 10, 11, or 12. I booked the 10am and he said to be ready around 9:40 or so. I just have to show my receipt to get on.

I had planned on taking the shuttle from the hotel to Jersey Gardens but my flight was delayed because of the weather today so I'm just going to have dinner at one of the nearby restaurants instead.

So there you have it! If all runs smooth in the morning, we'll be good! :)

Sitting in my room at the Country Inn - I had promised to report back with my experience getting here and booking the cruise shuttle!

So... I waited for a full 30 minutes for the hotel shuttle at the airport. The shuttle showed up with nobody on it, and I was the only one that got on so I got my own private ride to the hotel.

I requested a renovated room on my reservation as the hotel is half-remodeled. Unfortunately there were no renovated King rooms when I checked in so I settled for a renovated room with 2 queens instead. The room is really nice - big improvement from the old style! Plugs in the headboards of the beds for charging, new furniture, new carpets, etc.

I inquired about the cruise shuttle at check-in - it was $18.35 including tax. I paid cash but they could have charged my card as well. I had a choice of 10, 11, or 12. I booked the 10am and he said to be ready around 9:40 or so. I just have to show my receipt to get on.

I had planned on taking the shuttle from the hotel to Jersey Gardens but my flight was delayed because of the weather today so I'm just going to have dinner at one of the nearby restaurants instead.

So there you have it! If all runs smooth in the morning, we'll be good! :)

Thanks for the feedback. Bon Voyage for tomorrow. Glad the weather didn't mess you up too badly. We had 6 inches of snow today, but it looks like we will be able to get out to San Juan tomorrow morning.

Does the hotel shuttle to Jersey gardens only run during certain hours? If so do you know the times?

Also did you book the hotels return shuttle from pier to airport? If so did they say if you went pier to airport or pier to hotel then to the airport? And if you did book how are you to find the shuttle after disembarking?

Please do let us know how the shuttle works and what your thoughts are on it as well as the rest of the hotel stay and breakfast...

Bon Voyage and have a great trip!