CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Hello,

I am sailing on the Anthem of the Seas in a month. I've cruised out of Cape Liberty several times. The last time, I stayed at the Country Inn and loved it. Couldn't beat the ease of getting to from the Newark airport, proximity to restaurants (had dinner at Ruby Tuesdays), and ease of getting to NYC (took the shuttle to the airport and the NJ Transit train to Penn Station).

Long story short, I'll be staying there once again for a night pre-cruise in February. 2 questions...

1. What is the best way to get to Jersey Gardens? I know it's basically across the street but I'll be traveling solo and as a 30-ish female, don't feel safe walking there/back alone after dark.

2. What's the best way to get to the port? I believe last time we had quite a large cruise critic group leaving from Country Inn and we all shared a private van to the port. Our roll call this time is very quiet so nobody to share a ride with. Does the hotel offer a shuttle? If so, how much?

3. What is the best way to get from Cape Liberty back to EWR post-cruise? I believe I used a shared shuttle several years ago. Do these still operate? How much do they cost?

Thanks in advance and happy holidays! :)

Hello,

I am sailing on the Anthem of the Seas in a month. I've cruised out of Cape Liberty several times. The last time, I stayed at the Country Inn and loved it. Couldn't beat the ease of getting to from the Newark airport, proximity to restaurants (had dinner at Ruby Tuesdays), and ease of getting to NYC (took the shuttle to the airport and the NJ Transit train to Penn Station).

Long story short, I'll be staying there once again for a night pre-cruise in February. 2 questions...

1. What is the best way to get to Jersey Gardens? I know it's basically across the street but I'll be traveling solo and as a 30-ish female, don't feel safe walking there/back alone after dark.

2. What's the best way to get to the port? I believe last time we had quite a large cruise critic group leaving from Country Inn and we all shared a private van to the port. Our roll call this time is very quiet so nobody to share a ride with. Does the hotel offer a shuttle? If so, how much?

3. What is the best way to get from Cape Liberty back to EWR post-cruise? I believe I used a shared shuttle several years ago. Do these still operate? How much do they cost?

Thanks in advance and happy holidays! :)

1). I believe the hotel shuttle will drop you off at Jersey Gardens. You might have to wait awhile to have them pick you up.

2) You should be able to buy round trip port transportation from CI for $35.

3). Shared shuttle is $28.50

You should call Country Inns during the day on a weekday to ask what they can offer you.

Thanks so much for your reply! I will give them a call later today and see what I can arrange! I only need the one-way transportation from CI to Cape Liberty as I will be heading straight to EWR post-cruise!

It sounds like the shuttle from Cape Liberty to EWR has gone up quite a bit since the last time I took it! Yikes! Still the most economical I suppose!

Thanks once again for your help! :)

Just wanted to update - called Country Inn and they can't take a cruise shuttle reservation until the day before. He said they typically run at 10am and noon. I will call the day before the cruise before I fly out and try to sign up! Hopefully they don't fill up before me.

Please let me know as I was told we couldn't sign up until we checked into the hotel the night we were staying b4 cruise and we had to do it in person. .was also told the roundtrip was hotel to ship then ship to airport. .with no need to go back to hotel. ..Curious what you find out

Please let me know as I was told we couldn't sign up until we checked into the hotel the night we were staying b4 cruise and we had to do it in person. .was also told the roundtrip was hotel to ship then ship to airport. .with no need to go back to hotel. ..Curious what you find out

I will definitely report back (my cruise is the beginning of Feb)! When is your cruise? I won't be landing at EWR until 3pm so likely won't arrive at the hotel until 4:30. It would be nice if I can book the shuttle in the morning before flying out.

They did quote me a round trip price of $35pp. I informed them that I only needed 1-way, and he said it would be $17.50! So at least that part sounds straightforward!

I will definitely report back (my cruise is the beginning of Feb)! When is your cruise? I won't be landing at EWR until 3pm so likely won't arrive at the hotel until 4:30. It would be nice if I can book the shuttle in the morning before flying out.

They did quote me a round trip price of $35pp. I informed them that I only needed 1-way, and he said it would be $17.50! So at least that part sounds straightforward!

Feedback on the current transportation options for Country Inns bookings would be great. We get this question a lot on this forum and would like to provide the most current info.

We just booked Anthem of the Seas departing from Cape Liberty on May 14th. We will stay 3 nites prior to the cruise. We want to stay on Staten Island (I grew up there). We looked at the Hilton Garden Inn. The prices are good and they have shuttle service from Newark Airport. I was told that they have a shuttle from hotel to Cape Liberty, but it is only available if I book a park and sail. It adds $90.56 to the hotel charge. Is there any other way to get from hotel to pier?

We just booked Anthem of the Seas departing from Cape Liberty on May 14th. We will stay 3 nites prior to the cruise. We want to stay on Staten Island (I grew up there). We looked at the Hilton Garden Inn. The prices are good and they have shuttle service from Newark Airport. I was told that they have a shuttle from hotel to Cape Liberty, but it is only available if I book a park and sail. It adds $90.56 to the hotel charge. Is there any other way to get from hotel to pier?

Did you check the Hampton Inn to see what they can offer you? Your other option is to price a car service to the port like Village Car Service.

You're staying three nights pre-cruise without a car? How are you planning to get around the area?

Did you check the Hampton Inn to see what they can offer you? Your other option is to price a car service to the port like Village Car Service.

You're staying three nights pre-cruise without a car? How are you planning to get around the area?

We will have 2 days on Staten Island. One day will be with a car rental. We intend to drive to the National Cemetery on Long Island. The other day we will travel to Manhattan to visit the 911 Memorial. The prices at the Hampton Inn were higher.

Does anyone know if a mini van (Toyota sienna) is considered an oversized vehicle (for parking lot purposes)

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Which parking lot are you asking about?

Per your signature you have a cruise scheduled on the Breakaway,and if you're asking about parking at the Mahattan Cruise Terminal the answer is no. If you're asking about a different parking facility then you should contact that particular garage or parking lot.

Does anyone know if a mini van (Toyota sienna) is considered an oversized vehicle (for parking lot purposes)

For most commercial garages in NYC, minivans and SUV (including our Honda CRV's) are considered oversized (width or height or length, any one of them) and typically a daily surcharge do apply, used to be $5 or less, now typically $10 to $15 daily (or higher) - best to call ahead & confirm, otherwise, as you pull in - check the posted sign(s) carefully and/or ask the parking attendant. Some of the do not "accept" full size van, pickups or "similarly sized vehicle" at all.

The major NYC garage parking systems (i.e. Edison, Icon, QuikPark) online site usually post the info, if you know which one you plan to use or while booking online - "Google" is your friend on searching those "Yelp" reviews. In other words, aside from those sub/compact & midsized 2 doors & 4 door sedans, just about anything else would somehow nearly "qualified" for being oversized - one garage classify any AWD and 4WD vehicles, even a Subaru as "oversized" :eek: :rolleyes: Here's one example - near the MCT on 10th. Avenue @ W. 49th or W. 50th Street - http://www.iconparkingsystems.com/neighborhood/midtown-west-parking/page2/2/

None of the NYC cruise terminal parking charge anything "extra" but the flat rates for parking minivan, SUV, pickup truck or full size/extended van for their daily/weekly rates ... (stretched "limo" might be an exception)

Within NYC's 5 boroughs (counties) - parking garages outside of Manhattan generally do charge "less" for oversized vehicles and their definitions do vary - as the surcharges imposed - sometimes I paid the "regular" passenger car rates for the Honda CRV while some places will charge $1 or $2 extra.

Edited by mking8288

We will have 2 days on Staten Island. One day will be with a car rental. We intend to drive to the National Cemetery on Long Island. The other day we will travel to Manhattan to visit the 911 Memorial. The prices at the Hampton Inn were higher.

Price out the whole package for each hotel. If you can get port transportation included at the Hampton Inn, then it will be less expensive. Also check out the Holiday Inn which may offer port transportation.

Does anyone know the car rentals that are closest to the cruise port? We would be driving one way from Massachusetts pre-cruise. And would it be easy to get back to the car rental after the cruise from the port? This is our first time out of this cruise port.

Thank you.

IMO Cape Liberty is not the best car rental port. Enterprise is the only car rental place in Bayonne. All the big operations are at Newark Airport. There are also agencies in Jersey City. The problem is that it will cost you $55-65 each way to get from the car rentals to Cape Liberty unless you use Enterprise, which has limited days/hours.

Could you provide more details about your plans? Are you thinking of driving in the morning of the cruise? What exact date would you be doing this? Do you have experience driving in the NY metro area on a weekday morning?

Yes, we are planning on traveling the morning of the cruise, it will be a Thursday morning in June. We originally were going to take the bus that Royal Caribbean used to recommend, but they no longer have that contract. We will be visiting family in Massachusetts and then head to the cruise. After we realized the bus wasn't going to work, we thought the one way car would be the best option. My brother in law, who will be traveling with us, probably knows more about the New York weekday traveling.

Thanks for your ideas or options, if there are any.

Yes, we are planning on traveling the morning of the cruise, it will be a Thursday morning in June. We originally were going to take the bus that Royal Caribbean used to recommend, but they no longer have that contract. We will be visiting family in Massachusetts and then head to the cruise. After we realized the bus wasn't going to work, we thought the one way car would be the best option. My brother in law, who will be traveling with us, probably knows more about the New York weekday traveling.

Thanks for your ideas or options, if there are any.

Please provide more details about your plans. Exact date? Number of people(3??). Where exactly are you coming from? What are all of you doing post cruise? Are you all going back to MA? If you were to get a hotel room, would you need more than 1 room? Does your BIL have a car that could be used?

Bus for 3 would have been $330 plus any transportation/parking for the bus, so you would have been spending at least that much money.

Well, is Enterprise the only car rental that will work close to the pier? That's what it seems like I've heard, but some of those were older posts. Brother in law only has a jeep...not enough room for the 3 of us and luggage, and then there would be parking, too. We are beginning to think that doing a car is the only way; just needed to know one close to the pier to avoid heavy taxi costs. Brother in law will need to get a car to drive back after the cruise and we will get a flight from Newark to the west coast. We were just visiting family in central Mass., and brother in law is in Western Mass. He can meet us in Worcester. Routes are not that different from Western or Central Mass.

Well, is Enterprise the only car rental that will work close to the pier? That's what it seems like I've heard, but some of those were older posts. Brother in law only has a jeep...not enough room for the 3 of us and luggage, and then there would be parking, too. We are beginning to think that doing a car is the only way; just needed to know one close to the pier to avoid heavy taxi costs. Brother in law will need to get a car to drive back after the cruise and we will get a flight from Newark to the west coast. We were just visiting family in central Mass., and brother in law is in Western Mass. He can meet us in Worcester. Routes are not that different from Western or Central Mass.

I made a quick check of a one way full size rental from Worcester to Bayonne for Enterprise and it was just under $140. I'd call Enterprise in Bayonne to ask about getting to the port. Don't know if they would drop you off or if they can arrange paid transportation. I can provide local taxi numbers.

For your return all of you should share transportation back to Newark Airport - about $55-65. You can fly home and BIL can pick up a rental car.

Total cost will be still be in the price range that the three of you would have paid for the bus and getting yourselves to EWR post cruise.

Do you have the cars only directions through NYC? If you take the Henry Hudson Parkway, you have to be careful about the toll, which is unmanned. If BIL has an EZ Pass, you can possibly use it even though the rental car is not registered on his account.