CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

HI I have posted here before but I think these are questions I haven't asked. We are thinking of booking the Celebrity Summit next year to Bermuda 8/14/16-8/21-16. We are most likely going to be staying at the Country Inn on Gilmcher (sp?) as DH job has a discount with them. Here are my 2 questions:

1. What is the earliest flight we could catch out of EWR on the 21st? Ship docks at 7am.

2. We were thinking of doing 2 nights there and on the one day taking the path over to Hoboken and/or over to Manhattan to see the sights or a show...what would be the easiest, safest and most economical way of doing this.

When we were in NY in 2012 we had planned on taking the Path train to Hoboken to see the Cake Boss (DH loves his show and is a chef) but we ran out of time so I thought maybe we could do it this time...

Every ship arriving from a foreign embarkation port has to go through a thorough immigration check by CBP. In addition to a thorough check of the passengers they're going to spend more time than usual in vetting the crew.

When the Anthem starts its routine of closed loop cruises disembarkation more should proceed more smoothly provided a sufficient number of CBP officers are assigned to the port.

Slow disembarkation and shutting down the line happens all the time in NY City too when NCL's Breakaway arrives.

By the way, INS was dissolved in 2003. This particular function...vetting of passengers at ports and airports, was taken over by CBP. Other former INS functions were taken over by ICE and USCIS. CBP, ICE and USCIS are all part of the Department of Homeland Security, DHS, which was created after the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

HI I have posted here before but I think these are questions I haven't asked. We are thinking of booking the Celebrity Summit next year to Bermuda 8/14/16-8/21-16. We are most likely going to be staying at the Country Inn on Gilmcher (sp?) as DH job has a discount with them. Here are my 2 questions:

1. What is the earliest flight we could catch out of EWR on the 21st? Ship docks at 7am.

2. We were thinking of doing 2 nights there and on the one day taking the path over to Hoboken and/or over to Manhattan to see the sights or a show...what would be the easiest, safest and most economical way of doing this.

When we were in NY in 2012 we had planned on taking the Path train to Hoboken to see the Cake Boss (DH loves his show and is a chef) but we ran out of time so I thought maybe we could do it this time...

Sorry, but I don't like to advise flights before noon. This morning's Anthem docking a good example - they stopped self disembarkation at 7:30 am and last I heard folks had been sitting waiting for over 1.5 hours.

I understand about the hotel discount, but you have to balance your time, money and stress. How much will Country Inns cost per night tax included? You would pay an extra $70 for the round trip port transportation offered by this hotel. If you provide this info, I can see how it compares with a Newark option.

Easy and economical to Hoboken/NYC is really only available from a downtown Newark hotel. If you stay at CI, you would have to take a local bus for 1/2 hour for $2.55 to get to Newark Penn Station, or take the Hotel shuttle to the airport, Airtrain to the Newark Airport train station, and the NJ Transit train one stop to Newark Penn Station for $8.50 to transfer to PATH. PATH is $2.75 to go to Journal Square and transfer to the 33rd St train to Hoboken or 33rd St at Herald Square. If you are going directly to midtown NY, you can pay $13 to go by train from the airport to New York Penn Station.

Sorry, but I don't like to advise flights before noon. This morning's Anthem docking a good example - they stopped self disembarkation at 7:30 am and last I heard folks had been sitting waiting for over 1.5 hours.

I understand about the hotel discount, but you have to balance your time, money and stress. How much will Country Inns cost per night tax included? You would pay an extra $70 for the round trip port transportation offered by this hotel. If you provide this info, I can see how it compares with a Newark option.

Easy and economical to Hoboken/NYC is really only available from a downtown Newark hotel. If you stay at CI, you would have to take a local bus for 1/2 hour for $2.55 to get to Newark Penn Station, or take the Hotel shuttle to the airport, Airtrain to the Newark Airport train station, and the NJ Transit train one stop to Newark Penn Station for $8.50 to transfer to PATH. PATH is $2.75 to go to Journal Square and transfer to the 33rd St train to Hoboken or 33rd St at Herald Square. If you are going directly to midtown NY, you can pay $13 to go by train from the airport to New York Penn Station.

Carol ok great I was looking at flights that were noon or 1ish so good to know I was on the right track.

As for the hotel it was $175 out the door and we are still able to book the transport to/from the ship. I had called when we were first thinking about doing it and they said we could use the discount for the room and then book the transport when we arrived at the hotel. The discount still gives us the use of the airport shuttle and the breakfast at the hotel. What hotels would you recommend in Downtown Newark? Before we were just going to do a fly in the night before eat, sleep and get up to go to the ship so am willing to look in a different area if we do choose to do a 2 night stay. Thanks for your help.

Oh sorry yeah that is the 1 night...that is what I first looked at. The price for the 2 nights is at home on my cruise drive...and will have to get it when I get off work. But in the meantime could you recommend some hotels in the downtown area and I can compare those and then see what we truly want to do. :)

Oh sorry yeah that is the 1 night...that is what I first looked at. The price for the 2 nights is at home on my cruise drive...and will have to get it when I get off work. But in the meantime could you recommend some hotels in the downtown area and I can compare those and then see what we truly want to do. :)

Look at the Robert Treat and the Hilton Penn Station in Newark. Look at the prices on aa.com. Both these hotels have an airport shuttle. The Robert Treat is about 6 blocks from Newark Penn Station and the shuttle will drop and pick you up from there. The Hilton has a skywalk to Newark Penn Station.

However, remember that it is Newark and you should be aware of your surroundings. A cab to the Robert Treat would be inexpensive if you don't connect with the shuttle at the train station. I stayed there last Jan and was very happy. Nice older hotel facing a park on a quiet street. Reviews are mixed, but I thought my queen room was very comfortable with all the ordinary hotel amenities plus free breakfast. I would definitely stay there again over the airport. I was also able to take public transit to Cape Liberty, which saved me about $50 as a solo traveler.

Getting to the port would be in the $55-65 range. This is more expensive than CI, but you will significantly reduce your stress and cost of going in and out of NYC via Hoboken.

Great thanks. Now on the shuttle comment for the Robert Treat you said the shuttle will pick up and drop off there...is this for the airport pickup. I do recall noting we had to take an airtrain or something from the terminal to get to where the hotels pick us up...so it that same area as the Penn Station?

Every ship arriving from a foreign embarkation port has to go through a thorough immigration check by CBP. In addition to a thorough check of the passengers they're going to spend more time than usual in vetting the crew.

When the Anthem starts its routine of closed loop cruises disembarkation more should proceed more smoothly provided a sufficient number of CBP officers are assigned to the port.

Slow disembarkation and shutting down the line happens all the time in NY City too when NCL's Breakaway arrives.

By the way, INS was dissolved in 2003. This particular function...vetting of passengers at ports and airports, was taken over by CBP. Other former INS functions were taken over by ICE and USCIS. CBP, ICE and USCIS are all part of the Department of Homeland Security, DHS, which was created after the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

Yeah, I know all that, including that it's not INS now.

It doesn't make understaffing any more pleasant or justifiable.

We are returning US citizens. Once we got to the CBP agent, it took about a minute for us to be processed. That was after waiting about two and a half hours.

Great thanks. Now on the shuttle comment for the Robert Treat you said the shuttle will pick up and drop off there...is this for the airport pickup. I do recall noting we had to take an airtrain or something from the terminal to get to where the hotels pick us up...so it that same area as the Penn Station?

Airtrain is the free monorail at Newark Airport that connects the terminals, the hotel pickup (P4), Newark Airpirt Train Station (Amtrak and NJ Transit), and the car rentals. https://www.panynj.gov/airports/pdf/ewr-airtrain-brochure-english.pdf

Newark Penn Station is in downtown Newark. The map also shows Hoboken and New York Penn Station.

This is a NJ Transit map that also shows the PATH and Light rail routes- http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

ok sorry maybe I am not understanding....so what did you mean by the shuttle will pick up and drop off........is this an added perk not related to the airport pick up. So they do free airport pick up and then also free to the penn station? Sort of like the hotel we stayed at in florida...did free hotel shuttle and then would also shuttle people within so many miles of the airport to several locations for food or what not....

Just wanted to let everyone know the parking garage is great. We got off Liberty of the Seas at 8:35 AM got our luggage, went through customs (worst part as there were only 3 agents) and were in our car driving at 8:52 AM. The lot is to the right as you exit the terminal. There are 2 big elevators and we parked on the 2nd level on the side closest to the terminal and elevators.

Now my only worry is will there be enough room in the garage for both RCCL and Celebrity cruisers when both ships are in port. The garage has 5 levels, but not sure how many spaces. I know most times both parking lots would be full when both ships were sailing of out Bayonne.

The garage was planned for 900 spaces, if I recall correctly.

Do you have any idea if the garage is closed, like the lots, when passengers are not embarking or disembarking? I was wondering if parking in the garage is an option for people on a TA (i.e. park their car in the garage, fly overseas, cruise back to Cape Liberty, get in car, drive home.) :) Rob

ok sorry maybe I am not understanding....so what did you mean by the shuttle will pick up and drop off........is this an added perk not related to the airport pick up. So they do free airport pick up and then also free to the penn station? Sort of like the hotel we stayed at in florida...did free hotel shuttle and then would also shuttle people within so many miles of the airport to several locations for food or what not....

The hotel offers a free shuttle to the airport and to Newark Penn Station. From the hotel they stop at Newark Penn Station (6 blocks away) and then go to the airport. The way it works us that you call them and tell them where you are and they will give you an estimate of how long the wait will be. From the hotel the shuttle was supposed to leave on the hour and half hour. If you are at Newark Penn Station and the shuttle us elsewhere, it is a quick and inexpensive cab ride to the hotel. Walking is not recommended at night in Newark.

When I went to Cape Liberty, I went on the 9 am shuttle and arrived in Bayonne 34th St. at 10:05 and I was not rushing. I was going to call a cab, but a friend picked me up instead and I was at the port drop off by 10:15. I wanted to see how this worked and was very happy with the result. The PATH/light rail route is accessible with luggage - elevators and escalators. The light rail to Bayonne is a street surface ride on what could be called a streetcar, tram, or trolley. Getting a seat was no problem after rush hour and there was room for luggage in front of you.

The garage was planned for 900 spaces' date=' if I recall correctly.

Do you have any idea if the garage is closed, like the lots, when passengers are not embarking or disembarking? I was wondering if parking in the garage is an option for people on a TA (i.e. park their car in the garage, fly overseas, cruise back to Cape Liberty, get in car, drive home.) :) Rob[/quote']

Parking at Cape Liberty has never been a option for TA or repo cruises. You would have to park at Newark Airport.

Do you have any idea if the garage is closed, like the lots, when passengers are not embarking or disembarking? I was wondering if parking in the garage is an option for people on a TA (i.e. park their car in the garage, fly overseas, cruise back to Cape Liberty, get in car, drive home.) :) Rob[/quote']

Sorry, I don't know for sure if the garage is open but I would guess it's not. I think they only have people working the days that cruises are actually sailing out of there.

Parking at Cape Liberty has never been a option for TA or repo cruises. You would have to park at Newark Airport.
I was hoping the new garage would change this. The garage could be staffed 2 days before sailing to take incoming cars. Wishful thinking. :) Thank you Carol & CruisingChick. Rob

Yeah, I know all that, including that it's not INS now.

It doesn't make understaffing any more pleasant or justifiable.

We are returning US citizens. Once we got to the CBP agent, it took about a minute for us to be processed. That was after waiting about two and a half hours.

Sorry you had to wait. I've had bad luck in three U.S. Ports same scenario. Disembarking in Manhattan, embarking in San Juan, and StT USVI as a port stop. Each time it was alluded to be some sort of work slowdown issue with the agents.

No it is not available just like the lot.

We are taking our 5 adult children on Anthem on May 5th 2016. We're flying into Newark on the 4th and have 2 rooms booked at Country Inn in Elizabeth. When I booked this hotel I thought they had free airport pick up but now I see it is only a drop off shuttle?

Taking into account we will need transportation for 7 from Newark airport to Country Inn and from CI to Port Liberty. Is this hotel a good choice as far a location, transportation costs and ease? If not, should I be looking for something closer to the airport?

After the cruise we will be spending 4 night in New York. I'm still looking for a hotel that won't "break the bank" as we are paying for all of the rooms, LOL! I am going to contact Carmelo and Dial 7 for transport quote from port to NYC. However, if we wanted to take public transport is my understanding correct that we would need to take a cab to Newark Penn Station, take the PATH to NYC Penn Station and then subway to hotel?

We are taking our 5 adult children on Anthem on May 5th 2016. We're flying into Newark on the 4th and have 2 rooms booked at Country Inn in Elizabeth. When I booked this hotel I thought they had free airport pick up but now I see it is only a drop off shuttle?

Taking into account we will need transportation for 7 from Newark airport to Country Inn and from CI to Port Liberty. Is this hotel a good choice as far a location' date=' transportation costs and ease? If not, should I be looking for something closer to the airport?

After the cruise we will be spending 4 night in New York. I'm still looking for a hotel that won't "break the bank" as we are paying for all of the rooms, LOL! I am going to contact Carmelo and Dial 7 for transport quote from port to NYC. However, if we wanted to take public transport is my understanding correct that we would need to take a cab to Newark Penn Station, take the PATH to NYC Penn Station and then subway to hotel?[/quote']

Country Inns offers a free airport shuttle for airport drop off and pick up. They also offer a Cruiseport shuttle as part of their sleep cruise package. Each room will be $235 ($283.18) with tax and includes two round trip shuttles to the port. Each additional trip is $35, so your final cost should be about $671. The rooms have queen beds.

Another option would be to book a park/sleep ( yes I know - no car) through Trinity Reservations at the Ramada Plaza for May 4 - 2 rooms with double beds for $214 TAX INCLUDED with round trip port transportation for up to 4 people/room for a total of $428.

Please note that Newark Airport is on the edge of Newark and Elizabeth, so hotels with Elizabeth addresses are as close to the airport as hotels with Newark addresses.

Please post your dates for NYC so folks can offer suggestions. You might want to consider a short term apartment rental.

It is not necessary to go to Newark Penn Station to get PATH from the port. Post cruise you can go to the taxi dispatcher and tell them you need a shuttle van to the light rail for 7 people. Not sure of the price, but should be about $5/pp. Take some time when you embark to find and talk to the dispatcher to see what's involved. You take the light rail to Hoboken where you transfer to PATH to go to 33rd St. in Manhattan, Light Rail is $2.10 and PATH is $2.75. If you get a hotel in downtown Manhattan, you take the light rail to Exchange Place and transfer to PATH there to go to the World Trade Center.

Instead of staying in Manhattan, did you consider staying in one of the Jersey City hotels like the Courtyard, doubletree, or Candlewood Suites which have good access to midtown and downtown NY via PATH? Light Rail from Bayonne will get you to any of these hotels which are in the Newport area of Jersey City close to the Hudson River with access to spectacular views of the city.

Edited by 138east

Update on Country Inns - you don't need round trip port transportation, so you could book 2 queen rooms for $165/room plus $33.83 tax ($198.83) and book 7 one way port transfers at $17.50/pp for a total of $520.16. You would have to call the hotel to see if they can accommodate this.

Thank you 138east for answering all of my questions. I was able to book the CI under an AAA rate of $165.00 + Tax and no prepay. I will take your advise and call them regarding their Port shuttle and cab pricing. I see that the CI is very close to The Mills at Jersey Gardens, which I know my daughter and 2 daughters in law would love to visit! Is the shopping here just as good as in NYC?

I have looked at the hotels in Jersey City and am still considering them also. I also came across the Dharma Home Suites at Exchange Place & at Paulus Hook that look nice and will give us lots of room to spread out. Our plan is to head off early each morning to sightsee, return to the hotel for a short afternoon rest and then off to Broadway, Comedy Cellar, evening harbour sail & TS in the evenings. I need to do some calculations because after adding in all the PATH and subway fares for 7, it may be just as cheap and convenient to stay in NY. Does the PATH system run 24/7 from NY to Newark?

If we stay in Jersey City, we are also considering renting a van or couple of cars when we get off the ship and heading down to Six Flags for the day. My kids are roller coaster fanatics. However Coney Island may serve as good. Do you know if there are any car rental agencies close to the port?

Thank you 138east for answering all of my questions. I was able to book the CI under an AAA rate of $165.00 + Tax and no prepay. I will take your advise and call them regarding their Port shuttle and cab pricing. I see that the CI is very close to The Mills at Jersey Gardens' date=' which I know my daughter and 2 daughters in law would love to visit! Is the shopping here just as good as in NYC? my family was unimpressed. Others like it. I think it depends what you have access to at home

I have looked at the hotels in Jersey City and am still considering them also. I also came across the Dharma Home Suites at Exchange Place & at Paulus Hook that look nice and will give us lots of room to spread out. Our plan is to head off early each morning to sightsee, return to the hotel for a short afternoon rest and then off to Broadway, Comedy Cellar, evening harbour sail & TS in the evenings. I need to do some calculations because after adding in all the PATH and subway fares for 7, it may be just as cheap and convenient to stay in NY. Does the PATH system run 24/7 from NY to Newark? Dharma Home Suites looks great. What do they cost? More comments below

If we stay in Jersey City, we are also considering renting a van or couple of cars when we get off the ship and heading down to Six Flags for the day. My kids are roller coaster fanatics. However Coney Island may serve as good. Do you know if there are any car rental agencies close to the port?the car rentals are in Jersey City and Newark Airport. Only Enterprise is in Bayonne. IMO Six Flags is a serious amusement park. I was not impressed with Coney Island when I was there several years ago, but it does have the Cyclone. You can get to Coney Island by subway, but you should be able to drive to 6 Flags in a similar amount of time. Driving to Coney Island could be a huge traffic hassle from NJ

PATH - http://www.panynj.gov

NY subway - http://www.mta.com

Study the PATH map carefully. There are 4 routes on weekdays and two routes on Sat/Sun. It runs 7x24. From NJ you can go to lower Manhattan for a single fare. Uptown Path gives you one fare access to everything within walking distance of 6th Ave from Greenwich Village to above the 33rd St station and would include Times Square, Broadway, Comedy Cellar, and Macy's for shopping. For an evening harbor sail consider the free Staten Island ferry ride. I don't know what an "evening harbor sail" would cost for 7 people, but you could also substitute a regular ferry ride from Paulus Hook to 39th St. for $8/pp. http://www.nywaterway.com