CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Hi, I am sailing on the Anthem in December and have never been to Cape Liberty, some people say it's ok to drive from Boston the morning of departure and others say no way. What is the best way to go? Should I do the Academy Bus instead of risking in? I looked at flights to Newark also but it's going to be more expensive that way. Thank you in advance for all your help

Hi, I am sailing on the Anthem in December and have never been to Cape Liberty, some people say it's ok to drive from Boston the morning of departure and others say no way. What is the best way to go? Should I do the Academy Bus instead of risking in? I looked at flights to Newark also but it's going to be more expensive that way. Thank you in advance for all your help

IMO - for what it's worth - if it's a Saturday or Sunday you could leave at 5:00 - 6:00 AM the day of departure and you should not have a problem. Probably take you around just under 5 hours.

If it's a weekday either take the bus or drive down the day before. You don't want the headache of driving in weekday rush hour traffic. At least I know I wouldn't.

Thank you, yes it's a Saturday sailing. :)

Do you actually live in Boston or in one of the burbs? If Boston, what area? If a burb, which one? I have done both, so I can tell you the pros and cons of each depending on where you actually live.

Historically, we don't really get much snow in December. Yes, of course if can happen, but if there's snow in the forecast they could always leave a day ahead of time and get a hotel for the night somewhere closer to the port.

Edited by CruisingChick

Do you know if there are any good ones close by? I have a Hyatt Gift Certificate

The Hyatt Regency in Jersey City is really nice, but it is pricey. Hyatt place in Secaucus would also be a good option.

Living in Walpole, for Academy Bus transportation I would be looking at T F Greene airport in Providence as the starting point instead of Braintree. Braintree is the wrong direction and I'm not sure you can pay to park there in the winter anymore. You'd have to check out what it costs to park at T F Greene.

DH and I are travelling with our 5 adult children from Vancouver, Canada in May 2016 to sail the Anthem of the Seas. We plan to spend 4 nights in New York beforehand. We are springing for the accommodations and would need 3 hotel rooms or preferably a 3/4 bedroom condo.

Is there somewhere in New Jersey that would be safe and convenient to Manhattan and Cape Liberty? We plan to go to comedy clubs in the evening so does staying in New Jersey work with the subway system?

DH and I are travelling with our 5 adult children from Vancouver' date=' Canada in May 2016 to sail the Anthem of the Seas. We plan to spend 4 nights in New York beforehand. We are springing for the accommodations and would need 3 hotel rooms or preferably a 3/4 bedroom condo.

Is there somewhere in New Jersey that would be safe and convenient to Manhattan and Cape Liberty? We plan to go to comedy clubs in the evening so does staying in New Jersey work with the subway system?[/quote']

What are your exact dates you need rooms? What is your hotel budget?

PATH trains provide "subway" service to midtown or downtown NY from newark, Jersey City or Hoboken where you can connect with NYC subway service. However, you pay two separate fares. http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html

I would start first with the Doubletree or Candlewood suites in Jersey City. These hotels would give you the option of taking the Hudson Bergen light rail to Bayonne and a cab to the port if your group can manage their luggage. These hoteks will provide more spacious accommodations and Candlewood has kitchens.

Boy Carol, you're up early! Almost as early as that other friend of ours. Or are you just awake that late?

Ken (new user name)

Up early Ken. Flew to Oregon yesterday for a few precruise days before I fly to LA to go on the Jewel through the Panama Canal.

We are flying into EWR and staying at the Country Inn and Suites. We arrive at 12:30 pm. We have been kicking around the idea about going in to New York to see the 911 Memorial. Is this feasible to do in the afternoon? What would be the best/easiest way to get there? Please take into consideration, we are two women from the Midwest, that are not familiar with subways or buses. But are usually open to a new adventure.

We are flying into EWR and staying at the Country Inn and Suites. We arrive at 12:30 pm. We have been kicking around the idea about going in to New York to see the 911 Memorial. Is this feasible to do in the afternoon? What would be the best/easiest way to get there? Please take into consideration, we are two women from the Midwest, that are not familiar with subways or buses. But are usually open to a new adventure.

It is totally feasible. Your adventure would start out by taking the hotel shuttle back to the P4 Airtrain Station, which you probably would have done already to get to Country Inns. You ride the free Airtrain to the Newark Liberty Int'l Airport train station where you buy a NJ transit train ticket to Newark Penn Station for $8.25. You ride one stop to Newark Penn Station. The PATH trains should be running across the train platform. You buy a ticket from the machine for $2.75, get on the train where you should be able to get a seat, ride to the World Trade Center station (last stop), and you are right there at the 911 area. This trip could take up to an hour depending on your connections.

Note: buy round trip tickets. NJ Transit offers senior fares for.folks 62 and older but no discount on PATH.

https://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainTo

It is totally feasible. Your adventure would start out by taking the hotel shuttle back to the P4 Airtrain Station, which you probably would have done already to get to Country Inns. You ride the free Airtrain to the Newark Liberty Int'l Airport train station where you buy a NJ transit train ticket to Newark Penn Station for $8.25. You ride one stop to Newark Penn Station. The PATH trains should be running across the train platform. You buy a ticket from the machine for $2.75, get on the train where you should be able to get a seat, ride to the World Trade Center station (last stop), and you are right there at the 911 area. This trip could take up to an hour depending on your connections.

Note: buy round trip tickets. NJ Transit offers senior fares for.folks 62 and older but no discount on PATH.

https://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainTo

Thank you so much. I think we will do this.

Upon disembarkation at Cape Liberty, do the porters have a dedicated immigration line that they can get you through quickly as they do at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal?

Thanks!

Money conspicuously in hand might save you as much as half an hour.

Thanks Carol for the great information regarding the stay/park/cruise offer from Trinity. $202 is their rate for our early October 2016 cruise on the Celebrity Summit. I've shopped around and you're right -- it's a great deal. The info on this thread will be of great use to us as we enjoy our first visit to NYC prior to the cruise. Hello public transportation!

I have an update on public transportation options from NYC. Some may feel car service is better, and I understand. But I'm traveling solo and this works for me, so I wanted to share. Royal Caribbean has pick up service from 9am-11am at EWR without a flight. There are airport buses from Grand Central and Port Authority that go several times an hour to Newark Airport (your luggage goes underneath so it's not like the NJ transit commuter bus option). Bus from city $16, bus to pier $28.50. I live 4 blocks to Grand central, and this is how I regularly get to Newark. Other option is super shuttle-- only about $3 more from local hotels.

May seem crazy to some, but I'm very happy.

I have an update on public transportation options from NYC. Some may feel car service is better, and I understand. But I'm traveling solo and this works for me, so I wanted to share. Royal Caribbean has pick up service from 9am-11am at EWR without a flight. There are airport buses from Grand Central and Port Authority that go several times an hour to Newark Airport (your luggage goes underneath so it's not like the NJ transit commuter bus option). Bus from city $16, bus to pier $28.50. I live 4 blocks to Grand central, and this is how I regularly get to Newark. Other option is super shuttle-- only about $3 more from local hotels.

May seem crazy to some, but I'm very happy.

Have you ever tried PATH and the light rail? I have done it several times as a solo and found it very easy and economical. $2.75 for PATH from 33rd St. to Hoboken and $2.10 for the light rail to Bayonne. If you call Bayonne taxi they will pick you up at the 34th St light rail station and take you into the port for about $10. This is 100% accessible and the outbound trains are empty in the morning going towards Bayonne.

We just got off the Liberty of the Seas at Cape Liberty. I can report the parking garage is NOT open yet.

Boo!!! :mad:

Geez. how long does it take to build a parking garage? Initially it was supposed to be ready for Quantum, wasn't it? Well that ship has sailed long ago.

We cruise again in 13 days out of Cape Liberty and I guess we will still be outside.

Boo!!! :mad:

Geez. how long does it take to build a parking garage? Initially it was supposed to be ready for Quantum, wasn't it? Well that ship has sailed long ago.

We cruise again in 13 days out of Cape Liberty and I guess we will still be outside.

During check-in, would you ask if they have heard of a tentative completion date? We hope you have a great cruise! Rob & Ann Marie