CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

We just booked the County Inn as well for our8/14/16 cruise on the Summit. I got some mixed info on the r/t shuttle they do to/from the port. One person said they do hotel to ship at a choice of 10am or noon and the the return is ship to hotel where we then have to get on their airport shuttle to the airport...yet another person told me the same info for to the ship but said on the return it does ship to airport. Guess I will find out when I get there and go from there unless someone who has used the r/t shuttle from CI can let me know their expierence. :confused:

I see that the CI is very close to The Mills at Jersey Gardens' date=' which I know my daughter and 2 daughters in law would love to visit! Is the shopping here just as good as in NYC?[/quote']

It's completely different, and it depends on what you are looking for. Jersey Gardens is outlets. I've never been there but I have been to other outlet centers and often see people buying boatloads of stuff while I buy almost nothing because I think it's overpriced. I'm always amused to see people buying luggage at the Woodbury Commons outlets (huge center north of NYC, very popular with tourists) because I went there to get luggage a few years ago and came away with nothing because I was able to get it cheaper elsewhere. I guess it's tourists buying more luggage for all of their other purchases made there.

There is a shuttle bus from Jersey Gardens from NYC, so you may be able to use that to get to Manhattan.

We just booked the County Inn as well for our8/14/16 cruise on the Summit. I got some mixed info on the r/t shuttle they do to/from the port. One person said they do hotel to ship at a choice of 10am or noon and the the return is ship to hotel where we then have to get on their airport shuttle to the airport...yet another person told me the same info for to the ship but said on the return it does ship to airport. Guess I will find out when I get there and go from there unless someone who has used the r/t shuttle from CI can let me know their expierence. :confused:

Hello,

Just a suggestion: from ship directly to EWR instead of all the other stuff to add to stress of catching a flight. You can take: shuttle at port, cab, or ship transfer to get to Newark Airport. Your decision. It may be a few dollars more, but easier in the long run.

Good Luck

Marie

There is a shuttle at the port to the airport? Do you know any more information on it? All I knew of was either the prearranged hotel service, cab or ship transfer. ..

The taxi dispatcher at Cape Liberty fills shuttles to go to the airport for $28.50/pp, the same price as the cruise transfer. If you have more than two people, a cab or car service is cheaper.

I was wondering the same thing. My daughter, sister, and I are staying at the Country Inn the day before we sail on the Anthem of the Seas 1/3/16. Hope someone chimes in with some info.

I was wondering the same thing. My daughter, sister, and I are staying at the Country Inn the day before we sail on the Anthem of the Seas 1/3/16. Hope someone chimes in with some info.
When we called, many months ago, to inquire about their transfer to the ship we were told that they wouldn't guarantee seats on the 10 am shuttle, regardless of how early we booked. I don't know if this has changed. Rob

For two people the $35 round trip transfer is a good deal, but you pay a price for it by losing control over your schedule. It sounds like CI is booking one bus to do two trips to Cape Liberty. A bus leaving at 10 am should be able to drop everyone off at CL and get back to CI for the next trip at 12.

Another issue with CI is that they have a very small lobby with only a few seats. Folks have reported lots of congestion in the lobby with folks waiting for the shuttle with no place to sit. It could be a mass mob scene.

We stayed at CI our first time out of Cape Liberty. Yes! Their lobby is tiny, and it's very popular with cruisers. We couldn't sign up for the shuttle until we checked in, so I do remember an 11:00 am shuttle. That time was fine for us, but it took us until after 1:00 pm to get to the ship! Traffic was horrible! This was in Dec. 2012--no new terminal yet, and also Diamonds in December (which we didn't even know about; it just happened to be our 1st diamond cruise). Then after the cruise, we had to wait forever for the one shuttle to get back to us. Then after we finally got on to the shuttle and started to return to the hotel, it got called back to return to the terminal to pick up more hotel guests. Good thing we just had to get into our car for the 4-1/2 hour drive home. Next time, we stayed at the Hampton Inn closer to the airport and used Independent Driver. It was so much easier. Maybe it was the new terminal? In March, we're driving up morning of the cruise and staying a couple of days after.

YMMV, just wanted to give you our shuttle experience. The Country Inn & Suites was very nice; just the crowded lobby and shuttle was an issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by joand452

Great thanks for the info...will speak to DH on what we want to do and see if he still wants to do a wait and see what the hotel says or just do the one way via the hotel and then either the shuttle from Celebrity or that taxi stand shuttle that was mentioned on here. We are looking at doing a flight between noon -1:30....well at least currently that is the times that SW is showing for their flights our actual date is not open yet and the other airline we take must think their planes are made of platinum the price they want to charge despite being open to book now. :eek: lol

We will be in Newark next week, sailing on the Anthem on Sunday the 22nd.

I am driving in early and staying in Newark. My wife and I are planning on going into the city on Sat. night.

Based on info I saw earlier on this site, I am planning on taking the hotel shuttle to the P4 Airtrain Station and the free train to the Newark Airport Station. From there we will take the NJ Transit to NY Penn Station ($8.25 PP Each way).

From there, we would like to take a subway to Central Park. I assume I would take the #1,2 or 3 subway.

Question: can I get a free transfer for the subway when I exit the NJ Transit train?

Any other comments/suggestions about getting around would be welcome.

Thanks,

-Jim

I am driving in early and staying in Newark. My wife and I are planning on going into the city on Sat. night.

Based on info I saw earlier on this site, I am planning on taking the hotel shuttle to the P4 Airtrain Station and the free train to the Newark Airport Station. From there we will take the NJ Transit to NY Penn Station ($8.25 PP Each way).

From there, we would like to take a subway to Central Park. I assume I would take the #1,2 or 3 subway.

Question: can I get a free transfer for the subway when I exit the NJ Transit train?

Thanks,

-Jim

NJ Transit from the Newark Airport Station to New York Penn Station is $13/pp each way.

Where do you want to go in Central Park? There is no free transfer to the NYC subway or bus (this could be an option depending on where you are going)

For fares and schedules - http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainTo

Thanks,

-Jim

You can take the PATH for less money and I believe it runs more frequently.

You can take the PATH for less money and I believe it runs more frequently.

Unfortunately the OP would be doing this on a Sat Night, so Path would require taking NJ Transit to Newark for $8.50 and then the Newark-WTC PATH train (every 20 minutes) and transferring at Journal Square to the 33rd St train going via Hoboken. The trip takes at least twice a long as the train and only saves you $1.75. Really not worth it unless you are going to Downtown Manhattan.

Thanks for the updates. I didn't realize how complicated this would be. I guess the fact that we are not used to public transportation in Western New York shows how we tend to drive everywhere instead of taking alternate modes. Buffalo has one subway line and it goes for a total of about 5 miles.

I will continue to research this topic and welcome any additional suggestions.

-Jim

Thanks for the updates. I didn't realize how complicated this would be. I guess the fact that we are not used to public transportation in Western New York shows how we tend to drive everywhere instead of taking alternate modes. Buffalo has one subway line and it goes for a total of about 5 miles.

I will continue to research this topic and welcome any additional suggestions.

-Jim

Here are some good maps that will help you see the various transit relationships coming in from NJ. Where are you going in "Central Park"? It's a big place.

High level NJ Transit map showing PATH - http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

Various Path maps

http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html

https://www.panynj.gov/path/pdf/path-map-schedule-10-13.pdf

That's a good question about where we are going in Central Park. We are going to play it according to the weather. We will arrive at our hotel in NJ around 2 pm and will take our hotel shuttle to the airport to catch the Airtrain from the airport to the Newark station.

From NY Penn Station, we want to take the subway uptown to the park but do not have an exact destination in the park. I thought that we could walk around and see some of the highlights. From there, we want to walk to the 42nd St. area.

Finally we would either go on the subway or take a cab downtown to the World Trade Center. After touring that area, we will take the Path train to Newark Penn Sta. or got to NY Penn Sta. and take the NJ Transit back to then Newark Airport Sta.

Again, everything will be dependent on the weather. We both are used to walking and definitely need the exercise, before the cruise.

-Jim

Have you walked around in Central Park before? It's enormous and you could literally spend a day (or days) just walking the park. We have only walked the southern portions (took hours) and only with a group of people (safety in numbers). :)

Edited by Johnel

That's a good question about where we are going in Central Park. We are going to play it according to the weather. We will arrive at our hotel in NJ around 2 pm and will take our hotel shuttle to the airport to catch the Airtrain from the airport to the Newark station.

From NY Penn Station, we want to take the subway uptown to the park but do not have an exact destination in the park. I thought that we could walk around and see some of the highlights. From there, we want to walk to the 42nd St. area.

Finally we would either go on the subway or take a cab downtown to the World Trade Center. After touring that area, we will take the Path train to Newark Penn Sta. or got to NY Penn Sta. and take the NJ Transit back to then Newark Airport Sta.

Again, everything will be dependent on the weather. We both are used to walking and definitely need the exercise, before the cruise.

-Jim

I can't really advise about Central Park except that you should do it first before it gets dark. Wherever you end up there is likely to be a subway that will take you to the World Trade Center area either directly or with one transfer. Print out a subway map. Good train numbers would be the E, 1, R, 4 or 5.

Coming back take PATH from World Trade back to Newark Penn Station and transfer to NJ Transit at Newark Penn Station to go the one stop to Newark Airport Station. If you're unsure of your exact plans, buy a one way train ticket instead of a round trip so you have more flexibility.

If we stay at the Ramada in Newark and want to go to WTC. would it be feasible to take a cab to the path station instead of shuttle to airport, airtrain to airport station, to NJ transit to penn statiopn and walk to path station If so any Idea of cost of a cab for 4? Or other Ideas?

If we stay at the Ramada in Newark and want to go to WTC. would it be feasible to take a cab to the path station instead of shuttle to airport, airtrain to airport station, to NJ transit to penn statiopn and walk to path station If so any Idea of cost of a cab for 4? Or other Ideas?

With 4 people a cab should be more economical and faster - between $20-25. The trip is entirely within Newark, so Newark cab fares should apply.

PATH and NJ Transit are both in Newark Penn Station - the trains are on one track and PATH is usually across the platform on the other track. It's an easy connection, but it is still a connection and can involve some waiting ouside of rush hour times.

With 4 people a cab should be more economical and faster - between $20-25. The trip is entirely within Newark, so Newark cab fares should apply.

PATH and NJ Transit are both in Newark Penn Station - the trains are on one track and PATH is usually across the platform on the other track. It's an easy connection, but it is still a connection and can involve some waiting ouside of rush hour times.

thank you very much with your quick reply

Wondering if we can get this all in in a day. Four of us taking taxi from Ramada Plaza in Newark to Penn station. Take path to WTC and walk down to Battery Park to catch the ferry to SOL and then Ellis Island and back over to south ferry and walk back up to see WTC and museum. Then catch the path back to Penn station Newark and call taxi to go back to hotel. Do I have you confused yet? Next question how long I should plan to get from hotel to the Ferry for SOL I'm wondering what time I should Buy my tickets in advance for the SOL tour and then over to Ellis Island? After that the ferry back and walk to WTC and museum wondering what time I should buy my tickets for that? Can you tell I have no concept of locations, distances and times when it comes to ferries and trains and subways. We plan to get going early in the morning. We are not going tell Sept.2016 but I like to get all my ducks in a row. Thank you for your help.