CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Can you tell me what the approximate drive time would be on a Sunday morning about 9:00 a.m. from 44th street in Times Square to the pier in Bayonne?

Thank you,

Connie

30-45 minutes depending on the route. Are you driving or are you using a car service?

I apologize if this has been asked previously but hope it is a quick answer.

For a cruise in February weather could be an issue but, if it is clear, do I need to worry about finding a taxi at the Bayonne train station to take me to the port? It seems to me that there will be many others doing this to save money instead of taking a car/taxi from Manhattan, and I don't want to be stranded there.

Also, when we get off the ship, does it take a long time to get a taxi or shuttle, and are there enough of both available for everyone who needs one?

Thank you.

30-45 minutes depending on the route. Are you driving or are you using a car service?

We are sharing a car service/shuttle with others so we were really wondering what time to schedule a pickup. Thank you for your information. It doesn't sound like it will take as long as we thought.

Connie

For a cruise in February weather could be an issue but, if it is clear, do I need to worry about finding a taxi at the Bayonne train station to take me to the port? It seems to me that there will be many others doing this to save money instead of taking a car/taxi from Manhattan, and I don't want to be stranded there.

Also, when we get off the ship, does it take a long time to get a taxi or shuttle, and are there enough of both available for everyone who needs one?

Thank you.

I have had excellent luck getting both taxis and shuttles from the Bayonne port back to the airport really quickly. Actually, I do not recall ever having to wait... Maybe for all of 3 minutes for a shared shuttle to fill up, but that was all! And no wait for a taxi whenever I've needed one either! Plenty were there waiting (granted this was before the new terminal was built).

Thank you.

Weather can be an issue. I got caught last Feb in a snowstorm. The crowd at the taxi dispatcher was ugly. I told the dispatcher to get me out of the port to any PATH station, but I also could have gotten just to the light rail if I were willing to drag my luggage a bit through the snow. The light rail stations are all open on the street, so getting to a PATH station was a better option for me. I ended up going to Journal Square because that was the taxi that had space.

There were definitely not a lot of people doing this. Saving money doesn't seem to be a priority.

You need to call a cab to get from the light rail into the port. If you go early, the dispatcher can have a car that is headed to the port swing by and pick you up.

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

Archie’s Cab & Van Service

201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi

201-339-8300

We are sharing a car service/shuttle with others so we were really wondering what time to schedule a pickup. Thank you for your information. It doesn't sound like it will take as long as we thought.

Connie

It's a Sunday morning, the lowest traffic time of the week. Your car service should go right downtown in Manhattan and through the Holland Tunnel to the NJ Turnpike two exits to Bayonne.

If coming from CT, I strong suggest cutting across I-287, taking the Tappan Zee Bridge to the Garden State Parkway, exiting onto Route 17, taking that down to the Meadowlands and picking up the Turnpike there. There may be some traffic on 17 if you're on a Saturday (especially during holiday season) and there are traffic lights, but it's nothing compared to the GWB. Another alternative is getting onto the Palisades Parkway south after crossing the TZB and then pick up the Turnpike (via I-80?) on the other side of the GWB.

The toll on the TZB is much less than the GWB so going back that way is cheaper, too. There is one $1.50 toll on the Parkway, southbound only.

I agree. From NW CT I went down 8 to 84, down the sawmill and over the Tappen Zee to the GSP. We then took 78 which wasn't horrible but the barriers had me confused. That combined with a new GPS.. and well... ended up following signs to the airport arrivals so I could stop and re-group. Then everything was fine. Was at the port in 15 minutes. I will try a different way than 78 next time though.

My wife and I are booked on the 2/6/16 Anthem out of Cape Liberty. We've just learned Academy Bus has stopped working with RCCL (we'd already bought our bus tickets). We have no idea how we're going to get down there now from where we live in Providence, Rhode Island. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know in the Academy bus thread. Flying's unrealistic and driving, from what I hear, is a nightmare (not to mention parking)...

Amtrak. No question.

Go the day before though.

Weather can be an issue. I got caught last Feb in a snowstorm. The crowd at the taxi dispatcher was ugly. I told the dispatcher to get me out of the port to any PATH station, but I also could have gotten just to the light rail if I were willing to drag my luggage a bit through the snow. The light rail stations are all open on the street, so getting to a PATH station was a better option for me. I ended up going to Journal Square because that was the taxi that had space.

There were definitely not a lot of people doing this. Saving money doesn't seem to be a priority.

You need to call a cab to get from the light rail into the port. If you go early, the dispatcher can have a car that is headed to the port swing by and pick you up.

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

Archie’s Cab & Van Service

201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi

201-339-8300

You also need to realize that sometimes things happen. When I called a cab ( all 3 companies) one time from my daughters house in Bayonne, there was over an hour wait. (She had to work and couldn't drive me) Workers didn't show up at the port, and everything was backed up. Normally it's about a 15 minute wait.

Edited by gaylemh

I posted this in an original thread and was kindly directed here. :)

Hello All!

My DH, best friend, and her DH are leaving April 8th for a 10 night sailing on Anthem OTS out of Bayonne. Last night I began to look for reasonable ground transportation because when I looked into parking at the port, I almost fell over. I understand where we're leaving out of, the convenience, etc, I am just looking to find something perhaps slightly more reasonable.

A friend suggested stay, park, and cruise at a local hotel the night before. Going through the actual hotel was more expensive than just actually parking at the port!

She then suggested two different websites.

ParkSleepFly.com- Suggested only one hotel (Best Western Newark Airport), and did not accommodate the 4 people traveling. We would need to book two rooms.

Stay123.com- When I go to this site, the .com is changed to .biz, which makes me a little wary. That being said, they are offering a room with two double beds, a free shuttle to and from the port, and parking for the duration of our sailing for $170.

I called the hotel, Newark Liberty Airport Ramada, merely to inquire if this was a legitimate offer, and the front desk told me they use a company called Trinity Reservations. She said they have had people stay using Stay123 before but never with free transport to and from the port.

Can anyone shed some light on past experience using Stay123, or suggest reasonable means of ground transportation to and from Cape Liberty from the Philadelphia area?

Thanks in advance!

I just posted an answer to your thread on the main RCL board.

Bottom line - Trinity is totally legtimate. $214 for 4 people for your date including parking and round trip port transportation. Best park/sleep deal at EWR for Cape Liberty.

Hi megr1125! I would love your expert opinion! We are sailing on Summit in May.. driving in from Ohio a few days early so we can check out Times Square and see a Broadway play. Should we just pay to park at the pier? Looks like maybe 20 a day to park. Where should we stay for the few days prior to the cruise in order to come in to see the city? Thanks much!

Hi megr1125! I would love your expert opinion! We are sailing on Summit in May.. driving in from Ohio a few days early so we can check out Times Square and see a Broadway play. Should we just pay to park at the pier? Looks like maybe 20 a day to park. Where should we stay for the few days prior to the cruise in order to come in to see the city? Thanks much!

What are your exact dates(ie how many nights precruise?) How many people? What is your hotel budget? $140 to park at the pier for a 7 day Summit cruise.

Carol,

Is this an OK hotel? Is it safe to leave our car there for the 12 days? Is there any places near by for dinner? We cruise Feb 21.

Thanks. You always seem to have the answers.

It is an OK hotel for one night. Are the four of you sharing a room? They offer two double beds or 1 King. It is a full service hotel, so they have a restaurant, a sports bar and a cafe. It is safe to leave you car there. The hotel operates 7x24 and has people coming and going all the time. Flight crews stay here. The Doubletree next door is also full service.

There is almost no non-hotel dining at Newark Airport. Many hotels offer free breakfast because they have no other dining services. Jersey Gardens Mall has an IHOP, a Ruby Tuesday's, an Applebee's, a Johnny Rockets, and a food court.

To get any interesting dining, you have to go into the Ironbound District in Newark.

I just wanted to post a mini update about the shuttle from Country Inn to Bayonne. I had previously called the hotel and they said I couldn't book it till the day before, when I check in. Then he said I could call before I arrive the day before.

I hoped to get a different person and a different answer so I emailed the hotel and their response was that their policy is that they don't take shuttle reservations until check-in. They confirmed that the cost is $17.50 per person for one-way.

Being that I won't be arriving at the hotel until at least 4:30pm the day pre-cruise, IF the shuttle is fully booked and I can't get on... What are my other options? I am only one person so using a cab or a car service would be terribly expensive with nobody to split it with (and the Canadian exchange rate!). Is it any cheaper if I take the free hotel shuttle back to the airport and then get some sort of shared shuttle service from there? Where would I find this, and how much does it cost?

Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated!

And 2 more questions! My apologies for the separate post...

Is there some sort of store in the new Cape Liberty terminal to purchase a few bottles of water or pop (like the duty-free stores in Sam Juan)? I am assuming not. If not, I'll try to buy a couple bottles at the hotel as I'm sure they'll be slightly cheaper than onboard the ship!

Also, Carol, I believe I saw on another thread that you sailed solo on the Quantum! I'll be doing the same on the Anthem in 2 weeks - any advice or tips? I would love to hear about your experience! After sailing solo on the NCL Epic with the studio lounge, I'm a bit nervous about solo on RCI again! (Had a bit of a "meh" experience on the Allure solo prior to going on NCL).

And 2 more questions! My apologies for the separate post...

Is there some sort of store in the new Cape Liberty terminal to purchase a few bottles of water or pop (like the duty-free stores in Sam Juan)? I am assuming not. If not, I'll try to buy a couple bottles at the hotel as I'm sure they'll be slightly cheaper than onboard the ship!

Also, Carol, I believe I saw on another thread that you sailed solo on the Quantum! I'll be doing the same on the Anthem in 2 weeks - any advice or tips? I would love to hear about your experience! After sailing solo on the NCL Epic with the studio lounge, I'm a bit nervous about solo on RCI again! (Had a bit of a "meh" experience on the Allure solo prior to going on NCL).

No store in the Cape Liberty terminal. The pier is two miles out on a desolate peninsula. Stores for wine or soda are also nonexistent at Newark Airport.

My solo experience on the Quantum was different because I knew a lot of people and had access to the Diamond and Concierge lounges. There were solo get togethers, particularly lunches on sea days in the MDR, and I went to a few of those. These were listed in the Compass. I made up my mind I was going to try as much as possible - IFly, Northstar, bumper cars, shows, etc. I particularly enjoyed the short attention span activities like the quick robot shows and Dreamworks shows on the esplanade.

Thanks Carol! I have sailed out of Cape Liberty several times but not since the new terminal was built - wishful thinking that there may have been something in there. I suppose RCI didn't want to lose onboard business to a port duty-free store! :)

Thanks for your experience on the Quantum! Did you find the solo lunches well-attended? I find solo events to often be non-existent due to the lack of participants! Perhaps it's different on the Quantum-class ships though due to the small number of solo rooms! I just wish they had a lounge like the studio lounge on NCL.

Like you, I plan on trying everything too - had a blast doing that on the Allure (carousel included! [emoji39]). That should keep me busy! :)

Thanks Carol! I have sailed out of Cape Liberty several times but not since the new terminal was built - wishful thinking that there may have been something in there. I suppose RCI didn't want to lose onboard business to a port duty-free store! :)

What would you expect to buy at a duty-free store at the terminal?? Except for one sailing a year, every cruise that starts there also ends there, and even that one still ends up in the US. You can't buy alcohol to use on the ship. So what would that leave, cigarettes?

Hahaha none of the above... Just bottled water or pop for use ON the ship. I don't actually need a duty-free store, but was hoping there was some sort of store like in San Juan (which happened to be a duty free that sells water and pop as well) to pick up a few bottles or cans (or a 6-pack). I am flying in and won't have an opportunity to buy any en route from the airport/hotel to the ship. And the new ship's prices are ridiculous (then add the CAD exchange to that... Over $6 per can!)

Hi there,

I'll be sailing from Cape Liberty for the first time on October 6th/Anthem. My plan is to fly in the day of to Newark, direct flight from Tampa arriving @ 9:41 AM and reserving a car service to take us (2 people) directly to the port. I read that RCCL cancelled it's bus contract.

There is no more RCCL provided transportation from EWR to Cape Liberty? I thought since flying in the day of it may be safer to use their transport.

Thanks for any comments/suggestions!