CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

My husband and I and another couple are departing from Bayonne on September 18 for 15 nights on Celebrity. We plan to drive up from South Carolina the night before the cruise. Any suggestions as to where to stay and leave our car?

What do you mean the night before the cruise? Drive all night? It takes 12 hours straight driving not counting traffic jams in Baltimore or DC

Carol (138 east) is right. You are looking at 6+ hours driving time under perfect conditions all the way. If it is a weekday, you can forget that. I think you need to tell your husband to reconsider. You are gambling with your cruise to save one night in a hotel here in New Jersey.

If there is any sort of accident forget it. Does your husband realize what Tristate traffic conditions are like?

Hello all. Our family recently booked a cruise on Celebrity Summit for August 2016, leaving from Cape Liberty. We are bringing our elderly parents, both in wheelchairs. Our plan was to drop-off our parents and our bags, along with several family members, at the drop-off area, then park our cars in the new garage, then meet-up again in the terminal to check-in and board.

Having never been to this port, and with the enormous concern of having two people in wheelchairs, we just want to be aware and prepared for what we might encounter.

If anyone could give us advice on how to handle the drop-off, parking and check-in process with two people in wheelchairs, we would be very appreciative. Thank you.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the discussion about driving in the day of the cruise! I read the threads to my husband, and he finally concurred that it would be better to drive up the day before. I suggested at least driving into NJ (from northern Virginia). A two-hour drive on Sunday morning seemed better to me than 5 hours. We looked at the options in the middle of the state, and he decided that we might as well just drive all the way in, so I've just made a reservation at the Country Inn and Suites (we stayed there in December 2012). I'm kinda surprised they even had a vacancy, but I won't complain.

Due to work obligations, we won't be able to stay over on April 8 to visit NYC on April 9. It's okay; I'll see if my brother and his wife can drive down from CT on this Saturday instead.

Whoo Hoo! Trip is starting a day earlier (and I won't be awake all night Saturday waiting for the alarm to ring at 4:00 am)!

Hello all. Our family recently booked a cruise on Celebrity Summit for August 2016, leaving from Cape Liberty. We are bringing our elderly parents, both in wheelchairs. Our plan was to drop-off our parents and our bags, along with several family members, at the drop-off area, then park our cars in the new garage, then meet-up again in the terminal to check-in and board.

Having never been to this port, and with the enormous concern of having two people in wheelchairs, we just want to be aware and prepared for what we might encounter.

If anyone could give us advice on how to handle the drop-off, parking and check-in process with two people in wheelchairs, we would be very appreciative. Thank you.

You have a solid strategy and extra hands to help. One of the folks you drop off should look around for a RCL rep to ask what can be done to smooth your way through the checkin process when everyone has gathered. Just relax and have everyone put on their "patience".

What time were you planning on arriving? IMO earlier is better if your parents don't need to access the cabin before 1:30 pm.

When we cruised with my father, we carried too much luggage and personal items with us while embarking and disembarking. The less you have to carry, the better (i.e. check as much baggage as possible.) That way, you can focus on family and the needs of your parents. Have a great time! Rob Edited by Cruisin'4Us

I'll be sailing on Anthem on 4/8 and driving to the port the morning we sail, coming from Central Connecticut. Below are the directions I have saved from our last trip to Cape liberty. Would The regulars on this board (138east?) please take a look and let me know if anything has changed? TIA!

Merritt south, to

Hutchinson River Pkwy (at NY/CT line), to

Exit 15, Cross County Pkwy, get in middle-left lane (turns into left lane) to

Saw Mill Pkwy to

Henry Hudson Pkwy (at NYC line) - $4 toll, to

GWB exit, get in middle left lane, to

NJ Turnpike, (follow signs for Lincoln Tunnel) to

exit 14-14A-14B-14C, follow signs to 14A

pay toll & go straight across the toll plaza and get on a 2 lane ramp that goes up and curves left.

On the ramp stay on the right and make the first right,

stay to the right and make another right.

Left at light at route 440

stay left, and make a left at the first light onto Goldsborough Drive.

Goldsborough Drive will merge with Port Terminal Blvd.

Follow the crowd about 2 miles out to the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left at light at route 440

stay left, and make a left at the first light onto Goldsborough Drive.

Goldsborough Drive will merge with Port Terminal Blvd.

Follow the crowd about 2 miles out to the ship.

There is construction as soon as you go through the toll at exit 14A. You have to take a right onto Avenue E once you go through the tolls then left on to E Centre Street then straight onto Chosin Few Way and left onto Goldsborough Drive.

Of course with constuction they could even re-route this path. We just sailed March 7 - 19 and this is they way we got to and from the New Jersey Turnpike from Cape Liberty.

If you have a smart phone download the Waze App. It will save you a lot of headaches.

Edited by CruisingChick

There is construction as soon as you go through the toll at exit 14A. You have to take a right onto Avenue E once you go through the tolls then left on to E Centre Street then straight onto Chosin Few Way and left onto Goldsborough Drive.

Of course with constuction they could even re-route this path. We just sailed March 7 - 19 and this is they way we got to and from the New Jersey Turnpike from Cape Liberty.

If you have a smart phone download the Waze App. It will save you a lot of headaches.

Thank you CruisingChick.

Does the waze app have real-time info about construction/road closures? If so, that sounds like the best instructions to follow once we're off exit 14A.

Do the rest of the directions prior to getting off at 14A sound right? I don't want to use my GPS or follow Google maps for that part because in my experience, they want to take me a different way that ends up being more complicated and painful. The easiest trips to port I have had, have been following directions from this thread (or an earlier version of it.)

Thanks again!

Thank you CruisingChick.

Does the waze app have real-time info about construction/road closures? If so, that sounds like the best instructions to follow once we're off exit 14A.

Do the rest of the directions prior to getting off at 14A sound right? I don't want to use my GPS or follow Google maps for that part because in my experience, they want to take me a different way that ends up being more complicated and painful. The easiest trips to port I have had, have been following directions from this thread (or an earlier version of it.)

Thanks again!

Yes, the rest of the directions sound fine, except we never go that way.

WAZE has real time up to the second information. We have it set to "fastest route" (which sometimes is not the shortest route).

We have been using it for the past year and the last 2 times we have driven to the port it has been a weekday. They had us take I-95 (from Stamford) to I-287 to the Hutch to the Cross County to I-87 and go over the GWB to the New Jersey Turnpike. I guess it could be a bit more complicated but we are use to all these roads and it was the fatest route for us to get there and as an added bonus no $4 toll.

On Monday, March 7th we left our house around 8:40 AM and were parking our car at the garage in Cape Liberty at 10:00 AM (after dropping off luggage). So not a bad ride at all.

Only one thing I didn't listen to Waze was it said to take the Upper Level of the GWB. Well that side was packed and the lower level was empty. We went the lower level and got over the bridge in a minute. Not sure why it messed up that part unless the GPS doesn't pick up the lower level so it tells you to go the upper level??? :confused:

I prefer to avoid the GWB. PTSD from weekly trips between Stamford & Staten Island about 20 years ago. [emoji33]

Thank you again for the advice

It's a personal choice whether you want to avoid the Henry Hudson Parkway toll. I occasionally do it, but I've paid the price at times by getting stuck in the I87/I95 intersection.

An option to avoid the GW Bridge is to just stay on the Henry Hudson to the Manhattan Cruise terminal and then follow 12th Ave down to the Holland Tunnel. Even though there are lights, the traffic really moves and the Holland Tunnel isn't usually bad outbound in the morning.

An option to avoid the GW Bridge is to just stay on the Henry Hudson to the Manhattan Cruise terminal and then follow 12th Ave down to the Holland Tunnel. Even though there are lights, the traffic really moves and the Holland Tunnel isn't usually bad outbound in the morning.

I thought the directions I posted above, avoids the GWB? Does my memory fail me?

I'm pretty sure those directions were from 138 east, years ago.

We've done the Holland Tunnel route to port before too. Since I have driven to Cape liberty for 4 or 5 years, but only do it once per year, the routes are a jumbled mess in my head. All I remember was following 138's directions was the easiest & least painful. GPS route was awful.

Edited by Mom.to.2

I thought the directions I posted above, avoids the GWB? Does my memory fail me?

I'm pretty sure those directions were from 138 east, years ago.

We've done the Holland Tunnel route to port before too. Since I have driven to Cape liberty for 4 or 5 years, but only do it once per year, the routes are a jumbled mess in my head. All I remember was following 138's directions was the easiest & least painful. GPS route was awful.

The directions you posted are my directions and they definitely include the George Washington Bridge. I did them myself three weeks ago. Stopped to visit in Westchester off the Hutch and left about 3:30 pm from there, just at the start of rush hour. Radio said 25-30 minute wait at the GWB, but I had no trouble getting directly on from the Henry Hudson - it's a dedicated lane onto the upper bridge. Coming back I was in morning rush hour trying to get through the city. I cut through Jersey City to sneak into the Holland Tunnel at 7:45 and went all the way up 12th Ave to the Henry Hudson to escape the city. Wait times at the Lincoln Tunnel and GWB were supposedly 35-40 minutes.

The directions you posted are my directions and they definitely include the George Washington Bridge. I did them myself three weeks ago. Stopped to visit in Westchester off the Hutch and left about 3:30 pm from there, just at the start of rush hour. Radio said 25-30 minute wait at the GWB, but I had no trouble getting directly on from the Henry Hudson - it's a dedicated lane onto the upper bridge. Coming back I was in morning rush hour trying to get through the city. I cut through Jersey City to sneak into the Holland Tunnel at 7:45 and went all the way up 12th Ave to the Henry Hudson to escape the city. Wait times at the Lincoln Tunnel and GWB were supposedly 35-40 minutes.

Alrighty then, looks like I'm taking the GWB!!!

I have used Transbridge from Bethlehem PA in the past to get to Cape Liberty BUT here is my concern. My sailing departs on a Friday. The bus leaves Bethlehem at 12 and is scheduled to arrive at the pier at 1. All aboard is 2, muster is at 2;30 and sail away at 3. Seems like this is really cutting it close. Plus I thought the manifest has to be turned in 90 minutes before sailing, which would be 1:30.

I am thinking this is not worth the risk. Anyone else care to weigh in?

I have used Transbridge from Bethlehem PA in the past to get to Cape Liberty BUT here is my concern. My sailing departs on a Friday. The bus leaves Bethlehem at 12 and is scheduled to arrive at the pier at 1. All aboard is 2, muster is at 2;30 and sail away at 3. Seems like this is really cutting it close. Plus I thought the manifest has to be turned in 90 minutes before sailing, which would be 1:30.

I am thinking this is not worth the risk. Anyone else care to weigh in?

Hi Ruth,

I'd be very uncomfortable with that timing. 1 hour from Bethlehem to Cape Liberty seems very optimistic. Have you called Transbridge directly? Do they have any kind of relationship with Royal Caribbean?

When I took the bus from Boston I developed contacts with Entertainment tours. On one trip I left my house at 5:15 am to drive to Braintree to catch the bus and we made a death defying arrival at 2:30-2:45 at Cape Liberty when sail time was 4:00. Way too close for comfort, but RCL did know we were coming.

We are thinking about driving down from Cape Cod to Cape Liberty the night before our Anthem cruise June 11-16, arriving approx. 10pm. In the past we have always left home early the day of the cruise and get to the port by 10:30am. It is only a 4hr drive so not bad since we have a trucking company and drive this route frequently...but I've never thought about getting a hotel in that area so could use a bit of help.

Since we like to park at the port, and it is only a 5 night cruise, we are not looking for a hotel with cruise parking and shuttle, just somewhere clean to lay our heads for the night. Can anyone recommend a good, fairly inexpensive hotel (basically we don't need anything fancy) within about a 20 min drive to the port? It will be just my DH, 18yr old nephew & myself.

My second question is...we haven't been to Cape Liberty since April of 2011. Anything drastically different about arriving and departing with the new terminal & garage that we should know? Do we still drop off luggage and then park or can we park first and then roll our luggage to the terminal? What do you suggest would be best?

Thanks!

We are thinking about driving down from Cape Cod to Cape Liberty the night before our Anthem cruise June 11-16, arriving approx. 10pm. In the past we have always left home early the day of the cruise and get to the port by 10:30am. It is only a 4hr drive so not bad since we have a trucking company and drive this route frequently...but I've never thought about getting a hotel in that area so could use a bit of help.

Since we like to park at the port, and it is only a 5 night cruise, we are not looking for a hotel with cruise parking and shuttle, just somewhere clean to lay our heads for the night. Can anyone recommend a good, fairly inexpensive hotel (basically we don't need anything fancy) within about a 20 min drive to the port? It will be just my DH, 18yr old nephew & myself.

My second question is...we haven't been to Cape Liberty since April of 2011. Anything drastically different about arriving and departing with the new terminal & garage that we should know? Do we still drop off luggage and then park or can we park first and then roll our luggage to the terminal? What do you suggest would be best?

Thanks!

Marriott Courtyard Newark for $111 + tax (AAA rate) for a king with sofabed nonrefundable. If no AAA, aa.com has the same offer.

Cape Liberty has a new terminal and parking garage, but not much else has changed. You can drop off/park or park/roll. Regardless, get there between 10 and 10:00 to minimize the parking garage line.

Marriott Courtyard Newark for $111 + tax (AAA rate) for a king with sofabed nonrefundable. If no AAA, aa.com has the same offer.

Cape Liberty has a new terminal and parking garage, but not much else has changed. You can drop off/park or park/roll. Regardless, get there between 10 and 10:00 to minimize the parking garage line.

You are awesome Carol, thanks so much!

One of the reasons we are thinking of staying the night before is that I was reading about those lines for the garage and just incase we ran into traffic through the Cross Bronx didn't want to arrive after 10:30 and get stuck in it :eek:

Besides we love being some of the first onboard so we can get the cruise started as soon as possible :D

You are awesome Carol, thanks so much!

One of the reasons we are thinking of staying the night before is that I was reading about those lines for the garage and just incase we ran into traffic through the Cross Bronx didn't want to arrive after 10:30 and get stuck in it :eek:

Besides we love being some of the first onboard so we can get the cruise started as soon as possible :D

This is the no trucks route through NYC. You may not know it since you are in the trucking business and cannot use these roads. The roads are also in much better condition.

If you come down I95 there is a cutover to the Merritt at Milford CT exit 38. At Rye NY there is another cutover to the Hutchinson River Parkway South exit 21 immediately after exit 2 in CT (no exit 1). This cutover is longer than the one at Milford and involves getting off onto I287 West and following the signs to the Merritt/Hutch. You get off onto a service road, go through a few lights and take the turn for the Hutch south.

The Merritt Pkwy becomes the Hutchinson River Pkwy at the NY/CT line. From the Hutch take exit 15 in New Rochelle to get on the Cross County Pkwy. Stay in the middle left lane, which will become the left lane when the road "scrunches". This leads onto the Saw Mill River Pkwy South which becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy at the NYC line ($5 toll - if no EZPass they will bill you in the mail and you need to pay it!). The toll is worth every penny.

You take the George Washington Bridge exit and slide over to the middle left lane. Follow the NJ Turnpike signs. When you get on the turnpike, follow the first set of Lincoln Tunnel signs to get on the eastern spur of the turnpike, but don't get off at the actual tunnel exit. Continue on to exit 14-14A-14B-14C and follow the signs to exit 14A.

The are no trucks on this route and you will avoid any traffic issues on the Cross Bronx Expressway or the intersection with I87.

Edited by 138east