CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

On your blog you have a sing of the transportation option once you leave the cruise terminal, shuttle is $26 to ewr airport, do you mean the cruise line shuttle or is there a different shuttle available?

The taxi dispatching operation at Cape Liberty offers shuttles to the airport. Basically what this means is they put people into a shared van, load the luggage, and send the van off to the airport. It is a local Bayonne "livery" operation rather than an airport transfer bus organized by Royal Caribbean.

Hi Ruth,

I'd be very uncomfortable with that timing. 1 hour from Bethlehem to Cape Liberty seems very optimistic. Have you called Transbridge directly? Do they have any kind of relationship with Royal Caribbean?

When I took the bus from Boston I developed contacts with Entertainment tours. On one trip I left my house at 5:15 am to drive to Braintree to catch the bus and we made a death defying arrival at 2:30-2:45 at Cape Liberty when sail time was 4:00. Way too close for comfort, but RCL did know we were coming.

Whereas they do not have a relationship with Royal I called Transbridge. Turns out they are well aware of the issue and for Anthem departures the bus leaves at 9:30. So I am set. Booked a last minute cruise leaving in 2 weeks- 10 days with my son!

Whereas they do not have a relationship with Royal I called Transbridge. Turns out they are well aware of the issue and for Anthem departures the bus leaves at 9:30. So I am set. Booked a last minute cruise leaving in 2 weeks- 10 days with my son!

That's wonderful! Have a great time.

This is the no trucks route through NYC. You may not know it since you are in the trucking business and cannot use these roads. The roads are also in much better condition.

If you come down I95 there is a cutover to the Merritt at Milford CT exit 38. At Rye NY there is another cutover to the Hutchinson River Parkway South exit 21 immediately after exit 2 in CT (no exit 1). This cutover is longer than the one at Milford and involves getting off onto I287 West and following the signs to the Merritt/Hutch. You get off onto a service road, go through a few lights and take the turn for the Hutch south.

The Merritt Pkwy becomes the Hutchinson River Pkwy at the NY/CT line. From the Hutch take exit 15 in New Rochelle to get on the Cross County Pkwy. Stay in the middle left lane, which will become the left lane when the road "scrunches". This leads onto the Saw Mill River Pkwy South which becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy at the NYC line ($5 toll - if no EZPass they will bill you in the mail and you need to pay it!). The toll is worth every penny.

You take the George Washington Bridge exit and slide over to the middle left lane. Follow the NJ Turnpike signs. When you get on the turnpike, follow the first set of Lincoln Tunnel signs to get on the eastern spur of the turnpike, but don't get off at the actual tunnel exit. Continue on to exit 14-14A-14B-14C and follow the signs to exit 14A.

The are no trucks on this route and you will avoid any traffic issues on the Cross Bronx Expressway or the intersection with I87.

This is great. I've taken the Merritt Parkway a couple times myself as a way to get over to the Tappan Zee so am a bit familiar with it. We will be heading down a bit after work on a Friday so that route should be a bit easier with traffic I would think. I've added the directions to my cruise file.

Now to try to talk my truck driver husband (who breathes Peterbilts, does truck shows, etc) that we should take that route when he doesn't mind the Cross Bronx at all because he is so used to it. I can't even get him to take the car side of the NJ TPK when we drive down in our car, even when there are only half as many vehicles on that side LOL!

Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

This is great. I've taken the Merritt Parkway a couple times myself as a way to get over to the Tappan Zee so am a bit familiar with it. We will be heading down a bit after work on a Friday so that route should be a bit easier with traffic I would think. I've added the directions to my cruise file.

Now to try to talk my truck driver husband (who breathes Peterbilts, does truck shows, etc) that we should take that route when he doesn't mind the Cross Bronx at all because he is so used to it. I can't even get him to take the car side of the NJ TPK when we drive down in our car, even when there are only half as many vehicles on that side LOL!

Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

Good luck! You should know that when you exit the Henry Hudson for the GWB, you stay in the right lane of the exit which goes down to Riverside Drive. The ramp to the GW is a half block down. If you stay in your lane, the lane is a dedicated lane directly onto the GWB without a merge. On the bridge you do have to get over to the center left lane for the best access to the turpike exit. I also strongly recommend following the signs to the Lincoln Tunnel. This can save you a lot of grief if there is an event at the Meadowlands. I did this on a Thur afternoon around 4 pm several weeks ago. I scooted onto the bridge when the traffic reports said delays. I scooted off on the Lincoln Tunnel route while watching the bumper to bumper traffic lined up to go out on the western spur by the Meadowlands.

If you park at the port is it feasible to leave your carryon in the car, go to lunch unburdened, and return to the car to pick up the carryon once rooms open up?

Speaking of Anthem OTS.

Roy

I'm sure you can do it, but why would you want all that hassle? Are you traveling by yourself?

I haven't ever done it. Where exactly is your cabin on the Anthem?

I'd be more likely to tag the luggage and just go onto my deck and leave the bag in the cabin or outside in the hall. I've done that before. You're not supposed to do it, but one time I had my mother in a wheelchair and an oxygen machine and a suitcase full of oxygen cylinders plus personal carryons. I just took the oxygen stuff to the cabin to get rid if it. Another time I had a cabin which could be accessed from an alternative door, so I just put my luggage outside the cabin in the hall as if it had been delivered.

I sail solo. What I usually do is head to 270 and relax until the cabins open up at 1, drop my bag off, and then go to the WJ. It's not worth the trouble to board and get off and board again, even though the parking is right there.

You can also get a great full lunch in 270, with salads, soups, sandwiches, and desserts, and it's easy to find a place to sit.

We are staying at the Hilton near the Newark Penn station and wondering what's the best transportation to the port ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can take a taxi or arrange a car service for $55-65. There is also an accessible public transit/local cab option.

Im wondering if an Uber would be my best option to get the pier from Country Inn and Suited in Elizabeth NJ? Any thoughts of advice?

No - please see my response on your other thread.

Why don't you purchase the round trip port transportation directly from Country Inns for $35/pp?

Just booked the 9-nite Anthem 5/5 from CL; we are accustomed to FL cruises and are from a small town, so all of the public transportation advice is daunting-both in cost and navigation. Having read through alot of threads, I'm hoping for clarification and advice. We just booked, so I'm a bit behind with planning. It will just be my husband and I, with no special accommodations. I initially thought we would fly into EWR on the 4th and at least attempt to see the SOL, but even that seems a bit overwhelming.

1-If we fly in the day before, which hotel do you recommend, considering budget and transportation needs to/from port?

2-Is there a "budget-friendly" option to visit the SOL?

3-It appears that our flight departure options are 5pm, so we are considering the post-cruise tour to NYC with return to EWR. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Just booked the 9-nite Anthem 5/5 from CL; we are accustomed to FL cruises and are from a small town, so all of the public transportation advice is daunting-both in cost and navigation. Having read through alot of threads, I'm hoping for clarification and advice. We just booked, so I'm a bit behind with planning. It will just be my husband and I, with no special accommodations. I initially thought we would fly into EWR on the 4th and at least attempt to see the SOL, but even that seems a bit overwhelming.

1-If we fly in the day before, which hotel do you recommend, considering budget and transportation needs to/from port?

2-Is there a "budget-friendly" option to visit the SOL?

3-It appears that our flight departure options are 5pm, so we are considering the post-cruise tour to NYC with return to EWR. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

1). I'd call Country Inns in Elizabeth, NJ and ask if you book a room, can you buy a one way transfer to the port.

2). What time would your flight arrive? Chances are you're just not going to have enough time to go to the SOL.

3). Post cruise tour is probably your best option.

If you simply want to go into NYC the day you arrive, Country Inns is not your best choice. Post back if this is something you would want to do.

I am looking for transportation from Cape Liberty Cruise Port Terminal to Worcester, MA on May 1st after the Summit Repo Cruise. We use to go on the Academy Bus that Royal Caribbean contracted with but they are no longer offering that. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you!

Tina

I am looking for transportation from Cape Liberty Cruise Port Terminal to Worcester, MA on May 1st after the Summit Repo Cruise. We use to go on the Academy Bus that Royal Caribbean contracted with but they are no longer offering that. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you!

Tina

That's a tough one. How about a one way car rental?

We are not familiar with the area. Are there any car rental offices at the Pier?

Where would the closest car rental be? Do they operate on Sunday?

Thank you,

Tina

Newark Airport. It looks like it will run you about $260 to do this. $200 for the rental and $60 to get to the airport.

Can anyone pick you up in Springfield? There a Vermonter train at 10:27 from Newark Penn Station for $36. You'd have to self disembark.

Thank you!

Tina

Taxi to Newark Penn Station and Amtrak is probably your best bet.