San Francisco Embarkation

Hello all! How is embarkation at the San Francisco pier? Planning on flying in the day of.... however, it's a short flight from Los Angeles. How long and expensive the taxi ride to the port?

My husband has some mobility issues, will we have to stand in line waiting to check-in? Is there a priority line? Hubby is stubborn and proud and so doesn't want to use a wheelchair...:mad:

Thank you!

We are flying in and out of Oakland. Oakland Airport is about the same distance from the pier, maybe even a little closer, and doesn't have as many weather related delays or cancellations. I go to the Bay area often, and have had too many problems flying in and out of San Francisco. I don't know if there's a difference in transfer costs, though.

Even if there is a line, go to the left side of the entrance where handicapped people are easily accommodated. You will get your health survey to fill out there, then go up in an elevator to go through security and into the main room to check in. At the far end of the room is a handicapped area with chairs to wait for embarkation. It might be handy to get a wheelchair to go up the loooong ramp. We usually just take our time as I have a walker to lean on.

We are flying in and out of Oakland. Oakland Airport is about the same distance from the pier, maybe even a little closer, and doesn't have as many weather related delays or cancellations. I go to the Bay area often, and have had too many problems flying in and out of San Francisco. I don't know if there's a difference in transfer costs, though.

That's excellent advice! EZ Air doesn't give me that option, however... but if it's easier than San Francisco, by all means, that's what we'll do, thank you!

Even if there is a line, go to the left side of the entrance where handicapped people are easily accommodated. You will get your health survey to fill out there, then go up in an elevator to go through security and into the main room to check in. At the far end of the room is a handicapped area with chairs to wait for embarkation. It might be handy to get a wheelchair to go up the loooong ramp. We usually just take our time as I have a walker to lean on.

Thank you! That's what we needed...

1) which airport - SFO or OAK? shuttles and taxis are cheaper from SFO

2) go to the airport website, find "ground transportation" - this is where you will find all information on shuttles

3) which pier? 27 or 35? don't know about pier 27, but if you sail from pier 35, there is a long table for check-in, you won't be waiting, but if you will, you can stand in line while your husband is sitting, there are plenty of chairs.

i'm not sure why you are even looking at EZair for this connection. Unless you have lots miles on a legacy carrier the route from LA to the Bay Area essentially belongs to Southwest. Depending on where in SoCal you are coming from you can leave from any of 4 differing airports and for cruise purposes effectively land in either SFO or Oak. Uber/Lyft or taxi are comparable from either airport. If you have easily handlable luggage and are minimally mobile the trip from either airport is a snap on BART. I have written multiple times here about how to do that. Bart runs from either airport and one gets off at embarcadero in SF . From there you can easily take a taxi to pier 27 or as many of us like you can stroll for a mile along the embarcadero. Do not however use the F line transit as it is a heritage line with antique cars and not good for luggage. We send people to pier 27 by this means on a regular basis and I have done it myself more than once.