Logistics - EWR - Robert Treat - Statue of Liberty

nlooser

My family will land at EWR at 10:45AM on Wednesday, August 10th.

My son really wants to see the Statue of Liberty.

Would we be able to reasonably make it from EWR to the Robert Treat to drop luggage/check in then catch the train to New York and go on the 1pm Statue of Liberty tour? Or should we target the 2pm or 3pm Statue of Liberty tour?

I'm not sure how much time to allocate for:

Taxi from EWR to Robert Treat

Robert Treat to Penn Station NJ

Penn Station NJ to New York

Walk from closest train station to Statue of Liberty tour

Any help that can be provided is greatly appreciated!

I would go for 2 or 3.

The walk from Robert Treat to Penn Station is 10-15 minutes. PATH to World Trade Center Station is 25-30 minutes. Somebody else will give you the times to the boat to the ferry to Liberty. But 1pm is pushing it too hard.

I would go for 2 or 3.

The walk from Robert Treat to Penn Station is 10-15 minutes. PATH to World Trade Center Station is 25-30 minutes. Somebody else will give you the times to the boat to the ferry to Liberty. But 1pm is pushing it too hard.

1 pm is too early. What kind if tickets are you going to buy? "Tour" tickets implies you want to do more than just go out to the SOL.

I would buy 3 pm tickets. That means that you have to get yourselves to the ferry, through security and out to Liberty Island in time to take a 3 pm tour.

How many people are you?

The only way to speed your day up is to throw money at it by taking a cab from the Robert Treat to Liberty State Park to catch the ferry from the NJ side - in the $60 range. Ferries from NJ are always less crowded, but they also run less often. Once on Liberty Island, you can return to downtown Manhattan and walk back to the World Trade Center through Battery Park, Bowling Green, past Trinity Church cutting through the graveyard, and checking out the 911 Memorial before you take PATH back to Newark.

The Robert Treat has a free shuttle from the P4 Airtrain station at EWR.

• 5 months later...

Thanks to the OP for posting. I'm in the same situation. My flight arrives 9:55 a.m. and i booked the SOL tour for 1 p.m. If this is too early I try to change but I think 1 p.m is the last tour. The chat representative advised me from Robert Treat I would catch the ferry on the NJ side. You must specify which ferry when purchasing the tickets.

Thanks to the OP for posting. I'm in the same situation. My flight arrives 9:55 a.m. and i booked the SOL tour for 1 p.m. If this is too early I try to change but I think 1 p.m is the last tour. The chat representative advised me from Robert Treat I would catch the ferry on the NJ side. You must specify which ferry when purchasing the tickets.

That's just not going to work unless you pony up significant money to get to the ferry. Exactly what kind of tickets did you buy and how much did you pay?

You have to understand the logistics better. You have to go from the Robert Treat to the World Trade Center and walk to Battery Park to get the SOL Ferry. If you have a car you can easily drive to the NJ SOL Ferry and park for $7. To get to this ferry by public transit is inconvenient - either PATH to Exchange Place and light rail to Essex and walk 4 blocks to the Liberty Landing Ferry to cross to the SOL ferry OR light rail to Liberty State Park and walk 1+mile to the SOL ferry.

Edited by 138east

That's just not going to work unless you pony up significant money to get to the ferry. Exactly what kind of tickets did you buy and how much did you pay?

You have to understand the logistics better. You have to go from the Robert Treat to the World Trade Center and walk to Battery Park to get the SOL Ferry. If you have a car you can easily drive to the NJ SOL Ferry and park for $7. To get to this ferry by public transit is inconvenient - either PATH to Exchange Place and light rail to Essex and walk 4 blocks to the Liberty Landing Ferry to cross to the SOL ferry OR light rail to Liberty State Park and walk 1+mile to the SOL ferry.

Oh my..I paid $21 for a 1 pm tour. The ticket is refundable and that's the last tour of the day. I may need to do the SOL on my own without an organized tour or skip it on this trip. The 9/11 memorial is the most important thing on my list.

I arrive 9:55 a.m on a Thursday and the cruise departs Saturday.

Thanks for all the advice

Oh my..I paid $21 for a 1 pm tour. The ticket is refundable and that's the last tour of the day. I may need to do the SOL on my own without an organized tour or skip it on this trip. The 9/11 memorial is the most important thing on my list.

I'm confused about your dates. You've been asking questions about post cruise hotels at the end of April, but it looks like you sail 4/29/17 and are now asking about pre cruise plans. Could you provide exact dates and proposed plans for those dates? It's very hard to provide good advice without knowing the big picture.

If you arrive on a Thursday and sail on Saturday, why can't you do the SOL on Friday? If you arrive at 9:55 on a Thursday, there is plenty of time that day to do the 911 memorial, which is open late. If you do the SOL on a Friday, there is still plenty of time to do the 911 memorial that day as well. I You can also just ride the free Staten Island Ferry to get a good look at the SOL.

I was looking at 2 sailings..royal and celebrity. I decided on Royal Anthem of the Seas April 29 to May 6. I plan to fly in April 27 and I'm trying to maximize my time in NY. I booked Robert Treat for $117 night but I'm hoping the Hilton Penn has a price drop.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated. I'm also interested in going to one of the museums.

Try Uber to Liberty State Park, should take about 20 minutes. IMO Ellis Island is the real star.

I was looking at 2 sailings..royal and celebrity. I decided on Royal Anthem of the Seas April 29 to May 6. I plan to fly in April 27 and I'm trying to maximize my time in NY. I booked Robert Treat for $117 night but I'm hoping the Hilton Penn has a price drop.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated. I'm also interested in going to one of the museums.

The day you arrive you should go into NY and do whatever museum you are interested in. That way you have no deadlines to meet in case your flight is late or your connection to the hotel shuttle is not good.

Devote Friday to seeing the SOL and the 911 Memorial. It will take you about an hour to take PATH to World Trade and walk to the SOL Ferry. Don't mess with leaving from Liberty State Park unless you are going to Uber over there - the multiple connections will be more time consuming than going straight into NYC. The ferry reservation you make is from the departure point only - you can return to either NY and NJ.

I have actually done the trip from NJ. We drove and parked in Liberty State Park, so I have a feeling for how long a walk it is from the LSP light rail station. I also returned early by myself and took the Liberty Landing Ferry across the channel, walked to the light rail station at Essex St, and took it back to our Jersey City hotel. It's time consuming and the connections may not be optimal.

How are you getting yourself to Cape Liberty? I used accessible public transit - PATH to Exchange Place, light rail to 34th St Bayonne, and cab into the port. It took a little over an hour and the trains were uncrowded, so no problem with the luggage. Cost to do this would be $15-18 - PATH $2.75 + light rail $2.25 + $10-13 cab.

Edited by 138east

This is excellent info. Any idea how much time to give myself at SOL. I don't want to miss my tour at the 911 memorial. I'll reschedule the SOL for Friday morning. I haven't purchased the 911 ticket and it's not available for purchase until January.

I was thinking of taking Uber from the hotel to the port. Thanks for the public transportation route.

This is excellent info. Any idea how much time to give myself at SOL. I don't want to miss my tour at the 911 memorial. I'll reschedule the SOL for Friday morning. I haven't purchased the 911 ticket and it's not available for purchase until January.

I was thinking of taking Uber from the hotel to the port. Thanks for the public transportation route.

Research your SOL schedules and timings first. If you leave Newark before 9 am, you will be dealing with rush hour commuters. My advice would be to take the 9 am shuttle from the Robert Treat to Newark Penn Station. PATH trains will still be running frequently but will be much less crowded. They originate at NPS so you have an excellent chance of getting a seat.

The 911 museum is open late. Allow a half hour to walk from the SOL Ferry at Battery Park to the museum. If you do this late afternoon, rush hour will be over by the time you are ready to pop into World Trade to catch PATH back to Newark. Bowling Green Park, Wall Street, and Trinity Church (cut through the graveyard) are all on your walking route between Battery Park and the 911 Memorial.

Along with the Statue of Liberty, the ferry boat also stops at Ellis Island which is where immigrants coming to America were initially brought to and then processed for admittance into the US. If you are a history buff, you will find Ellis Island captivating and it is easy to spend hours there, I did. My visit was 20 plus years ago and the Statue of Liberty was not completely open to the public as it was undergoing renovations. I do recall that I spent more time on Ellis Island than I did on Liberty Island.

• 2 weeks later...
That's good news. Are you ubering to Liberty State Park?

Nope..based on the info you and others provided I changed to the NY ferry.:)

I'll take the Path into NY after having a leisurely breakfast at the hotel.

Thank you again

Edited by TeeChi

• 2 months later...
Another question for anyone who can help.

I decided to go to the 911 memorial the day I arrive 4/27. My flight gets in at 9:55 a.m. I plan to drop off my bags at the hotel in NJ then head to NY.

What time is reasonable for the 911 museum - 2:30 p.m.

2:30 is way to early. How much time are you going to spend at the SOL? Are you going to Ellis Island?

Pull up,the ferry schedule and figure it out. Your flight arrives at 9:55. Figure a half hour to get off the plane and get your luggage. Then you have to get the Airtrain to the P4 station to connect with the hotel shuttle, which runs every half hour. Then you ride to the hotel (15-20 minutes). You check in and go take the shuttle again to Newark Penn Station (runs every half hour on the hour). Transfer to PATH to world Trade - 22 minute ride. Walk to Battery Park - 15-20 minutes. You're looking at getting to Battery Park between 12:30 and 1:15.

My suggestion would be to do the 911 Memorial between 5 and 7 pm during rush hour, grab some dinner, and return to Newark when the trains are les crowded.