Fly into Ft. Lauderdale or Miami?

rhodester

I am cruising from Miami in November and am wondering which is the better airport to fly into, Ft. Lauderdale and then take a shuttle (which I have done in the past), or directly to the Miami airport. The Ft. Lauderdale option is pretty stress free, but I would appreciate opinions from those who have flown into Miami.

I am cruising from Miami in November and am wondering which is the better airport to fly into, Ft. Lauderdale and then take a shuttle (which I have done in the past), or directly to the Miami airport. The Ft. Lauderdale option is pretty stress free, but I would appreciate opinions from those who have flown into Miami.

I'd fly where ever it's cheaper, also including the cost of ground transportation. Miami might be crowded, but it's not that bad -- and FLL can be pretty busy too.

rhodester,

We've flown into both airports several times and FLL wins for least time from tarmac to transportation away from the airport. MIA is sometimes so congested that we can get from FLL to Port of Miami quicker than from MIA to Port of Miami. Our last flight was in to MIA and other than waiting forever for our luggage we were able to get to the port rather quickly; it would have still been nearly the same port arrival time though if we had flown into FLL and not had to wait so long for our luggage.

Bottom line is that any time it is cheaper, we will fly into MIA. If MIA isn't cheaper, we'll fly into FLL.

i'm an airline employee, and i have flown both, and will take FLL anytime.

my airline does not fly into MIA but dh's airline (he's an airline emp. at competitor ) does fly in to MIA.

I prefer the smaller less congested airports. we will be flying in to FLL for our cruise out of Miami in April.

For my April Cruise out of Miami I'm doing 2 One Way Tickets (came in about $100 cheaper than round trip for either). I'm flying into FLL and doing shuttle to POM. Then flying back from MIA - don't have to worry about timing to get back to FLL.

Just an option you might want to check out :)

• 2 weeks later...

We'll be flying into Fort Lauderdale the day before our cruise and staying at the Holiday Inn near the Miami cruise port. Can anyone recommend a good shuttle service that will take us to the hotel (as opposed to one that just does airport to airport)? Thanks.............

We have flown into both. I basically take whatever is cheaper. I would prefer FLL, but since I mostly fly AA, it is usually MIA that wins. For our up coming cruise, we are flying to MIA the day before and having a limo service take us up to FLL to our hotel. Cost was about the same as a cab. Last time we stayed near MIA before and had SAS take us up the day of the cruise. Only reason we did that was due to the timing of the flights. One thing I have wondered about with more ships in Port Everglades (specifically Oasis of the Seas) is how much more, if at all, FLL has become on days when that ship is in. Not that MIA is not congested.

I really feel that departures are the issue not arrivals. The question I have is, which airport handles the crowds on departure days. By the way, for our upcomming cruise we are also arrinving in Fll and departing from POM. For some unknown reason it was cheaper that way.

Rollie

• 6 years later...

This is what I did.

Take a Taxi to the Fort Lauderdale Airport Tri-Rail station (At Dania Beach). $20.00 10 minute ride.

The Tri-Rail leaves at :03 minutes after the hour and is a 40 minute ride.

$5.00 pp weekends, $3.70 pp M-F.

At the Miami Intl. Airport station there is a elevated tram that will bring you to the terminals.

Edited by fireofficer5

We go with the easiest most direct choice. We don't get rental cars, etc. I just want to get there, get a nice ride to the hotel and start my vacation. I would choose MIA. No worrying about a transfer between FLL and MIA although it's a painless process. I've only been in the Southwest terminal at FLL and it is not always a peaceful way to end your vacation either. Very crowded and very few choices for food.

• 1 month later...

Hi! We are coming in this Friday, one day before our cruise on Sat 28 May.

We got a good price with Southwest airlines (AND free baggage!). Now I need help getting from FLL airport to the hotel near the cruise port where we'll stay Friday night.

ALSO when I searched, I got really old replies (like 2010). How do I get 2016 answers, IF of course they exist??--Al's wife