River cruising solo (Europe) - any advice or suggestions?

westcoasttech

Having just come off a regular type cruise were some of my fellow passengers were singing the praises of european river cruises, I decided to try and do some research and price investigations.

However, I'm finding it difficult to find a source for solo pricing. I really don't want to involve a travel agent - I've nearly always done my own research and booking. I just want to find somewhere that lists what routes are available for particular dates and what the solo pricing would be.

There are a couple of companies that list "solo supplement waivers" but when I actually got pricing from them, the supplement was waived on the "regular" pricing, not on the "special" pricing listed on their websites, in other words, there is still a good sized supplement (on something that is fairly highly priced to begin with!)

At this stage if I found something that was a "reasonable" price for the right date I would be okay with stretching my budget, but just finding out basic information on solo pricing is providing difficult.

Are there any solos out there that have experience in river cruising??

Have you checked the River Cruise forum? A regular HAL cruiser recently wrote a trip report on her solo river cruise.

I have the feeling that solos never get the proper treatment when there are special prices whether ocean or river cruises....sorry.

I think the same strategies for ocean cruises also apply - get on cruiseline email listing for deals, travel low season or last minute and start phoning for some preferred treatment. You might manage to talk them into giving you no SS AND the good fare.

Hi, after 40+ ocean cruises I just took my first river cruise in April and

it was FANTASTIC:D.......I sailed with AMA Waterways and HIGHLY

recommend them:)

Here is a link to my review.....it will give you a good idea about my

experience:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2344645

And I also agree with checking the RIVER CRUISE FORUM.....the folks

over there are very helpful:)

And one major thing.......many of the River cruiselines (including AMA)

offer certain cabin categories that have NO Single Supplement:)

Edited by Lois R

I think I'm the HAL river cruiser Mef referred to. :D

Like Lois, I had a number of ocean cruises under my belt and decided to branch off and give river cruising a try. I had the same reaction - OMG! I loved it, and have another one booked in 2017.

I sailed Uniworld, and they offer no or reduced single supplements on certain sailings. Their list for 2016 has been out for awhile, but I was able to get similar pricing for 2017 thru my TA. She and her agency do a lot of business with Uniworld. You may want to re-think not using a TA, but that's really up to you.

Roz

I think I'm the HAL river cruiser Mef referred to. :D

Roz

Sorry Roz, it was Lois'. I am a newish member and she mentioned it on HAL forum. I am not often on the River Cruising. But I am always happy to read more reviews :)

westcoasttech, as a fellow Canadian, you might want to look at CAA. I know you mentioned not using a TA, but I am finding there is some value in it.....or at least give them a try for comparison or resources. I am not usually a TA person. I have been doing a number of off the beaten path land trips, and find I do better for my needs on my own, but I can see for cruising there is some value added. Anyway, CAA has a Solo Traveller Club and it happened that today at a work function CAA had a booth. I talked to the Solo TA and she asked if I was interested in River Cruising as they have a working relationship with AmaWaterways for no single supplement. Now, that might mean the single berth that Lois mentions - or any of the lower cabin levels. I also notice on their regular cruise booking tool, their canadian prices work out better than the cruise line and other third party options. I haven't looked at the river cruise options, but it might be worth having a chat with an agent to get details. I don't know if you have to be a member or not (I expect so) but maybe you can at least review their online booking portal.

Sorry Roz, it was Lois'. I am a newish member and she mentioned it on HAL forum. I am not often on the River Cruising. But I am always happy to read more reviews :)

westcoasttech, as a fellow Canadian, you might want to look at CAA. I know you mentioned not using a TA, but I am finding there is some value in it.....or at least give them a try for comparison or resources. I am not usually a TA person. I have been doing a number of off the beaten path land trips, and find I do better for my needs on my own, but I can see for cruising there is some value added. Anyway, CAA has a Solo Traveller Club and it happened that today at a work function CAA had a booth. I talked to the Solo TA and she asked if I was interested in River Cruising as they have a working relationship with AmaWaterways for no single supplement. Now, that might mean the single berth that Lois mentions - or any of the lower cabin levels. I also notice on their regular cruise booking tool, their canadian prices work out better than the cruise line and other third party options. I haven't looked at the river cruise options, but it might be worth having a chat with an agent to get details. I don't know if you have to be a member or not (I expect so) but maybe you can at least review their online booking portal.

Hi there:).. not sure if you are thinking of someone else but I do not

post on the HAL forum. The last time I sailed with them was back in 2004.

I do post on the "RIVER CRUISE FORUM" though:)

Edited by Lois R

OP here! Thanks for the comments, and yes, Lois, I did read your review, it was very helpful - many thanks.

So I've ended up booking a Viking cruise (Switzerland to the North Sea - 10 days, Basel to Amsterdam) for the week (and a bit) before Christmas. I was looking for something that started on specific range of dates as I'm trying to squeeze out the most from my remaining vacation days from work this year, and the one I booked worked for that, and I was totally flexibile as to the route. It doesn't seem to be marketed as a strictly "holiday markets" cruise, but is going to the same towns as the cruises that are, I'm presuming there will be opportunity of visiting the markets, if I'm so inclined.

I have read a few "questionable" comments on some postings about Viking, but everyone has the right to their opinions and I will take the attitude of going to judge for myself!

I did look at AMA, they seem to have an excellent reputation, however their pricing in this particular case put me off - while they advertise "no single supplement" the pricing I was given was still quite a bit above what is listed as the per person pricing on their website - the reasoning they gave was that the "no supplement" is on their regular pricing not the "special" pricing listed on the website!

Viking are also offering "no supplement" (on the lower range of cabins), but again there is some "difference" between it and the per person pricing listed on the website, however, Viking are offering "free" airfare (well almost "free" there's a $100 supplement for coming from the west coast), so between the "no supplement" and the "free" air, I figure I'm getting a "reasonable" price. Also I'm managed to add in a deviation on the routing back from Europe to spend Christmas with my family in the UK (I'm originally a Brit, now a Canuck!) before heading back over the Atlantic, so the dates worked out for that!

The more I look at the details for river cruising, the more I'm seeing the advantages over the "normal" cruiselines - such as the wine and beer with meals, included tours, free wi-fi on board and being able to bring and consume wine/beer on board from the areas you are touring (my trip includes the Moselle area!) all of which would normally be an extra!

To bring this back to the topic of this forum, however, I'm wondering if travelling solo on a river cruise is anymore difficult than a regular cruiseline - with fewer passengers is it more or less difficult to be social? (Either way, I'm flexible, I'm happy to share a table with other passengers or with just me and my Kindle.)

Please continue to provide any hints and suggestions, I'm looking for "River Cruising 101" for a newbie to a (solo) river cruiser!

I'm really looking forward to the trip - I just hope I don't get whiplash from the juxtaposition of being on the Harmony in Oct/Nov and then on a Viking longboat just 5 weeks later...!!!

Westcoasttech, sounds like you got a great combination to suit you. I love trips with diversions due to the ability to book multi leg flights for same price as return.

I know Viking has also started ocean cruises, I wonder if they have some loyalty plan that works on both lines? I may have to check out that deal with free airfare....:)

I don't know, now, who's report I read or where I found them from, but then I read a lot of travel forums so they sometimes blend. Apologies to Lois and Roz for my confusion.

I hope no whiplash, but it might take some organizing to know where you are any given week in the Fall.

Westcoasttech, I found it easier to meet and talk with people on my river cruise than I did on my ocean cruises, although I'm comfortable with both types of cruising. There are far fewer passengers on a river cruise, and for the most part, everyone is doing the ship's excursions so it's just natural that you strike up conversations and get to know your fellow passengers. Meals are open seating and that allows you to mix and mingle, and the bar/lounge is a gathering point because there aren't the entertainment venues that there are on an ocean vessel.

Every line has its cheerleaders and detractors. I'm sure you'll do fine on Viking.

Roz

I just booked a solo River Cruise on the Danube....very excited though it is not until Oct 2017. I was able to get a good solo rate.

I have a bit to wait. All tips on CC have been helpful; this will be my first River Cruise!

Safe sailing all!!! :)

Hi, I agree with Roz and found it very easy to meet people. I must admit,

I am quite outgoing and it is easy for me to meet people on all my cruises

but you can get to know others on River Cruise for sure;)

Hello westcoasttech,

this is notamermaid, just a short hop over from the river cruising forum, to say hello. And hello to the familiar "voices" of Roz and LoisR. :)

Good to hear you have chosen a river cruise and I am sure you will enjoy it greatly. As the atmosphere on river cruises is quite intimate and jovial I am sure you will find great people to talk to. After all, they have the same interest as you, travelling and learning about the Rhine and Moselle. What will you see of the Moselle on your trip?

Would be happy to see you on the river cruising board. You can have a look at the roll calls there as well. Perhaps your itinerary dates have been mentioned. If not you could post them yourself.

And feel free to ask specific questions.

Have a great cruise.

notamermaid