pre cruise in London questions

Hi -

My wife and I are taking the Queen Mary 2 from Southampton to NYC on Thursday, December 15th. We're coming in a few days early. I'd like to get some feedback on my proposed pre cruise plans.... (FYI, I love trains and boats)

We're arriving around 7am on Monday (the 12). I'm planning on taking the Heathrow Express to Paddington Station. I've booked a room at a small hotel across the street. (The Royal Norfolk)

I'm thinking of dropping off the bags, then taking the Underground to Piccadilly SQ then getting on a HO-HO bus tour of the city to give my wife an overview. I'm thinking of waling to Leadenhall Market for lunch.

1) What's the best HOHO stop for that?

2) Are there any reasonable priced pubs/resturants at Leadenhall?

3) How about a reccoendation for an early dinner near the hotel?

Tuesday during the day, I plan on going to The Tower of London. That evening, I'd like to go see the Fullham football club play a match.

4) This will be my first time going to a professional football game. Any hints for a Yank?

5) Will it be hard finding a cab a) to the game, and b) more importantly from the game?

Wednesday, we'll take the light rail to Greenwhich to see the observatory and the Maritime Museum. We'll take boat back in the afternoon.

Thursday. I plan on taking a cab to Waterloo and then a train to Southampton.

6) I've read that there are "traditional" black cabs and mini-cabs.Do folks prefer one type over the other? What's the best way to ensure getting picked up? (Both to get to Waterloo (with luggage), as well to/from Craven Cottage.)

Any suggestions?

Aloha,

John

John,

I can help you with a couple of things.

I live in Greenwich and I'm sure you'll have a great day exploring this wonderful part of London. The Observatory and the Maritime Museum are certainly places not to be missed but try to find time also to visit the Cutty Sark and the Old Royal Naval College, particularly the Painted Hall. The University of Greenwich now occupy the buildings but there is free access to the Painted Hall and the ORNC Chapel opposite. On the link below you will see the famous twin domes. The entrance to the Painted Hall is under the right dome and to the Chapel under the left dome.

https://www.ornc.org/visit

If you are travelling from your hotel in Paddington, I would not take the light rail (DLR). Instead I would take the tube to Charing Cross and then take a train from the Charing Cross mainline railway station to Greenwich. It's then a short walk to the Maritime Museum and Greenwich Park, with the observatory and Greenwich Meridian up on the hill. From the General Wolfe statue by the Observatory you can get a panoramic view of Greenwich and beyond to Central London. Returning down the hill, you can visit the ORNC and then go out by the river gates, turning left along the riverside path to the Cutty Sark and the river bus pier. The Cutty Sark is well worth a visit:

http://www.rmg.co.uk/cutty-sark#9MGLJeZMBrwvmvyF.97

If you need any further advice about Greenwich, just let me know.

It's best to book tickets in advance for the football.On Tuesday 13 December Fulham play Rotherham United at 19.45. Here is a link to Fulham's website:

http://www.fulhamfc.com/first-team/2016_2017/fixtures

Margaret.

5) Will it be hard finding a cab a) to the game, and b) more importantly from the game?
I don't have any experience of trying to get around near Craven Cottage on a match day, but from my experience of other football clubs on match days, I would expect the answers to be likely to be (a) probably OK, although expect to have to walk the last little bit; and (b) pretty hard.

There are Tube stations quite close by that are easy to get to from Paddington - would they work? I haven't looked up what the club itself says about transport.

Wednesday, we'll take the light rail to Greenwhich to see the observatory and the Maritime Museum.
If you are travelling from your hotel in Paddington, I would not take the light rail (DLR). Instead I would take the tube to Charing Cross and then take a train from the Charing Cross mainline railway station to Greenwich. It's then a short walk to the Maritime Museum and Greenwich Park, with the observatory and Greenwich Meridian up on the hill.
For practicality, I agree with this.

However, one advantage of the DLR is that you can usually sit in the "driver's seat" at the front and look out through the front windows of the train, and it's probably a more interesting meander through Docklands if you do this. This is very popular with kids of all ages.

Thursday. I plan on taking a cab to Waterloo and then a train to Southampton.

6) I've read that there are "traditional" black cabs and mini-cabs.Do folks prefer one type over the other? What's the best way to ensure getting picked up?

Black cabs are allowed to pick up people who hail them on the street. Minicabs are not, and must be pre-booked.

I seldom take minicabs because on the occasions when I want a cab, it's usually faster to walk to the nearest main road and wave at the first one that comes along with its yellow "TAXI" light illuminated. No need to pre-plan or pre-book.

Thanks for the advice;

Yes, my decision to take the DLR to Greenwich was for the scenery. It's great to hear you can see out the front as well as the sides!

RE: getting to/from the match, I was trying to limit night time walking distance. I'll probably take a black cab TO the match, then follow the crowd to Putney Bridge Underground station afterwards.

The District line looks confusing; It looks like a train could go three different ways .... Will it be obvious which one goes to Paddington? (Edgware RD?)

Aloha,

John

Edited by jcl410
clarification

Thanks for the advice;

Yes, my decision to take the DLR to Greenwich was for the scenery. It's great to hear you can see out the front as well as the sides!

RE: getting to/from the match, I was trying to limit night time walking distance. I'll probably take a black cab TO the match, then follow the crowd to Putney Bridge Underground station afterwards.

The District line looks confusing; It looks like a train could go three different ways .... Will it be obvious which one goes to Paddington? (Edgware RD?)

Aloha,

John

No worries about the Tube - it's one of the best, easiest modes of transportation to use but I understand your concern on the District line. At Earl's Court, near to to the end of the line splinters off four different ways to accommodate more regions - the tube was built out as the need for transport grew. Indeed there are also three lines running parallel near the Edgeware Road stops on the Bakerloo (pink) and Circle (yellow) lines, alongside the District (green) line.

Rest assured you will see clear signs marked indicating the line name and direction of the carriages you wish to transfer to. It will be important to know the direction you are headed to be sure you are going the right way.

Here is direction/transportation info from the Fullham FC website. One of the best ideas I've read in a long time, choosing to go to a football match in London - love it! Should be a very thrilling experience - singing, cheering, meat pies, scarves = brilliant! Add to that the history of Craven Cottage and it'll make for a uniquely unforgettable London moment.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/help/faq/travelling-to-the-game

As to restaurants near your hotel in the Paddington Station area - I stayed near Paddington not long ago in Sussex Gardens and found quite a few good places on London St between Praed St and Sussex Gardens - there's a pub and a variety of cuisines to choose from.

Have a great time in London :)

District line trains have LED destination indicators on the front of the train, on the side and inside. There are destination indicators on the platform. There are audio announcements for every station. It is very difficult to get lost on the Underground (providing you speak English) and are reasonably sober!:rolleyes:

Nowadays there are a lot more staff around (since they closed the ticket offices), who are there to help and direct lost tourists and out-of-towners.

One thing to remember is it will be very close to mid winter in London. That means the sun isn't rising until 8am and will be setting from 3pm.

In reality you get 5-6 hours of good daylight, as long as its not raining, in which case it may seem never to get light!

Whilst its good to have plans, its good to have an indoor alternative just in case the weather is terrible.

Going back towards town from Putney Bridge, there are basically only two directions in which a train might go: towards High Street Ken, Paddington and Edgware Road; or into the centre of town.

If you simply wait for an Edgware Road train, it will take you straight to Paddington.

It is also possible to take any other train and change at Earls Court, if no Edgware Road train is imminent. The train will arrive on one side or the other of the northern platform at Earls Court (I think technically the two sides are numbered as platforms 1 and 2), and all trains towards Edgware Road will depart from one or other of the same platforms, so you don't really need to go anywhere in order to change trains - just keep an eye on which side of that platform the next Edgware Road train will use.

This can be useful if, for example, you find that you can't get on the first Edgware Road train because it's too busy, but there is space to get on the next train although that's going into town. That train will then get you as far as Earls Court, and you may then find that there's an Edgware Road train from there that has space. Or, in extremis it'll be easier to get a cab from Earls Court to Paddington, or you could stay on the train that's going into town, and change at Embankment for the Bakerloo Line to Paddington (and the Bakerloo Line should be stopping again at Paddington after early August 2016).

Thanks to all the replies. It sure has helped!

Next question; I've seen a number of menus online that list a "discretionary service charge" of ~12.5% added for one reason or another. (e.g.; for table service, or large groups)

Is this what we'd call a tip in the US? If the charge isn't automatically aded, is it customary to leave a tip after the meal?

Aloha,

John

Rather than a train from Waterloo have you considered a National Express bus from Victoria bus station. It is closer to paddington and is where the cruise line shuttles depart. If you catch the booking correct you can often get a fare as low as 5£ to Southampton and then it is a straight shot by cab to the port. Comfortable long distance bus, driver loads luggage underneath for you and it only makes one brief stop on the way.

As to the tube best trick is to know the end station on the line you are taking and to "MIND THE GAP".

Next question; I've seen a number of menus online that list a "discretionary service charge" of ~12.5% added for one reason or another. (e.g.; for table service, or large groups)

Is this what we'd call a tip in the US? If the charge isn't automatically aded, is it customary to leave a tip after the meal?

Aloha,

John

Any number of threads here on tips - simply put, the service charge is a tip and it is possible to remove it if the service was bad. If no service charge is added you can tip if you think the service was good. 10% would be normal here. If you don't tip, they won't chase you.

We tend to take the view that they get paid for doing their job, but if they go the extra mile - they deserve a reward.

Edited by Bob++

Aloha,

John

Hi John,

Here is the most recent tipping thread on the board - it goes on for a few pages, it always does! ;) This thread was in regards to a driver but the discussion went on to include restaurants and tipping in general and covered your very question at length, the 12.5% service charge, more typical in London restaurants but not all of them and can be found elsewhere too.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2370494

Hope it helps a bit - there are other tipping threads too - always a heated debate; in short, no one tips like the US, nearly everyone, everywhere gets paid adequately to do their job and are not dependent upon tips to make enough money for wages.

Enjoy London.

Indeed there are also three lines running parallel near the Edgeware Road stops on the Bakerloo (pink) and Circle (yellow) lines, alongside the District (green) line.

Just to be clear, the pink line is the Hammersmith & City. The Bakerloo line is brown on the map and stops at a separate station at Edgware Road, there is no interchange other than exiting, walking up the road and entering the other station.

Wheezedr -

I'm a bigger train fan than coach fan; so, in this case, we'll be taking the train. It looks like I'll be able to get a trolley where the cab drops us off for the luggage.

(I'll probably splurge for first class to have more room.)

Aloha,

John

Wheezedr -

I'm a bigger train fan than coach fan; so, in this case, we'll be taking the train. It looks like I'll be able to get a trolley where the cab drops us off for the luggage.

Aloha,

John

For a 2 hour journey I wouldn't bother with 1st class - there is plenty of room in 'steerage' - spend the money on a coffee for on the train or a cocktail (or three) on board.

I agree about first class probably not being worthwhile for this. You're travelling in the opposite direction to all the traffic, so there's almost certainly going to be plenty of space in which to spread out. As you are boarding at Waterloo, inevitable human nature means that the further you walk along the train from the gate line, the fewer people there will be on the train - so often it's worth making the effort to go further along the train before you get on and sit down.

In addition, we're not talking about any particularly romantic or noteworthy train. This is basically just a utilitarian commuter train.

Just to be clear, the pink line is the Hammersmith & City. The Bakerloo line is brown on the map and stops at a separate station at Edgware Road, there is no interchange other than exiting, walking up the road and entering the other station.

Thank you Cotswold Eagle for making the correction - I always appreciate your corrections and certainly don't want to mislead OP John as the three lines run parallel and I made a mistake glancing up/over from map to my keyboard.

Between the colors on the Paris/London/NYC lines I sometimes get crossed in a moment of eagerness trying to help...though NYC doesn't have a pink but I think it's time. Maybe our new 2nd Avenue line...although Rainbow might be a better choice ;)

I'd not mentioned interchanges specifically only because I know they aren't always there but as it related to this question in particular, Edgeware Rd station, didn't seem worth noting.

Thanks again so much for helping out, as always :)

I agree about first class probably not being worthwhile for this. You're travelling in the opposite direction to all the traffic, so there's almost certainly going to be plenty of space in which to spread out. As you are boarding at Waterloo, inevitable human nature means that the further you walk along the train from the gate line, the fewer people there will be on the train - so often it's worth making the effort to go further along the train before you get on and sit down.

In addition, we're not talking about any particularly romantic or noteworthy train. This is basically just a utilitarian commuter train.

We're staying at the Hampton Hilton London Waterloo and have been considering taking the train to Southampton to board the ship. Since this will be our first time in the London area, we need all the advice and suggestions everyone can give us. So please don't hold back. Is anyone else staying at the same hotel? We arrive on Aug 21st.

Since this will be our first time in the London area, we need all the advice and suggestions everyone can give us.
There's a restaurant called Assado in your hotel. It looks interesting; the man whose name is on it is Cyrus Todiwala, a well-known Indian chef whose modern Indian restaurant Cafe Spice Namaste is a long-standing favourite of ours (it's near the Tower of London). Assado looks like it's a much more fusion-y place, and we haven't yet had a chance to try it, but its menu has looked interesting.

If you walk up Waterloo Road towards the station, just before the Old Vic Theatre there's another restaurant called the Waterloo Bar and Kitchen. Another long-standing favourite of ours, although it wasn't quite as good the last time we went and we suspect that it may have changed hands - possibly because it seems to be at risk from some proposed development and expansion by the Old Vic.

In the other direction, of course, is Masters Superfish, which is one of the leading fish and chip restaurants in London.

What date are you planning on getting the train from Waterloo to Southampton? You can pay for very cheap seats in advance on the megatrain website as soon as your chosen date becomes available. As at today, the furthest date available is 20 August. We always get the 9.39am train which can be as low as £5 per person if you get in early. The morning trains to Southampton are half empty.:)

What date are you planning on getting the train from Waterloo to Southampton? You can pay for very cheap seats in advance on the megatrain website as soon as your chosen date becomes available. As at today, the furthest date available is 20 August. We always get the 9.39am train which can be as low as £5 per person if you get in early. The morning trains to Southampton are half empty.:)

Does the Megatrain service have its own trainset, or does it use the normal South West equipment? Is it a dedicated service, or do Mega train passengers inter mix with regular passengers?

Aloha,

John

Does the Megatrain service have its own trainset, or does it use the normal South West equipment? Is it a dedicated service, or do Mega train passengers inter mix with regular passengers?

Aloha,

John

Every time we have used Megatrain it is all in together on a normal South West train (not in First Class though).

Edited by SteveH2508

Aloha,

John

Megatrain is just a brand to sell cheap tickets, which are 'hidden' from normal rail travellers.

By this I mean the Megatrain tickets are not available on the normal rail booking sites, only their own website, so people looking to book a ticket don't see them and book the higher priced tickets on the normal rail booking sites.

There is no special train, it is just the normal Southwest train service. Theoretically there may be a carriage designated for Megatrain customers with a sign, but I have never seen it (although I have never looked hard) and just sit in any standard class carriage.

As the tickets are on the slower service trains to Southampton there are usually very few people on them (half a dozen per carriage at most).

The tickets are just the piece of paper you get with your web booking, which you need to show at Waterloo, on the train, and Southampton.

You MUST only catch the train you have booked. Your ticket IS NOT valid on any other train. Therefore ignore any announcements that say if you want to go to Southampton catch a faster train leaving a few minutes later.

Book on the Megatrain/Megabus website but would advise a morning train as they are certainly less busy. The last time we went we booked an afternoon train and it was very busy and had a bit of trouble with our two large suitcases ie tricky to find anywhere to put them .When we have travelled in the morning it has been much easier for space. It's a good service and well worth doing.