Placa Catalunya Hotel Recommendations - Barcelona

To the OP, I would not wait long to make at least one reservation..room rates can always go up or hotels sell out. If you book with a rate with a refundable deposit/cancellation provision, you can always just cancel if and when you find a better deal. And, often, the best hotel rates are found when you book way in advance.

Good luck..

This. There comes a time when you have to fish or cut bait (I like another saying better, but this site wouldn't like one of the words in it) and just make your reservation. If you don't want to drive yourself batty, make it non-refundable and be done with it.

There is no such thing as perfection - especially in travel. You decide what is important to you and just book it. For me, I would rather be in a safer area than right on a plaza or the Ramblas (plus talk about noise...) even if it means walking an extra 400m. With walking around with tours, what is an extra 400m really? Plus if I'm going to be out touring, I don't really care how large my room is since I'm only sleeping there. Clearly for you priorities are different, and that's ok.

But really - if you're seeing rooms disappearing every time you look, that is clearly a sign that it is time to make a decision and be done with it. (And it seems that no one here has stayed at either of your two choices, so you'll just have to go with your gut and jump.)

(Please note, by "you" I'm referring to the OP.)

Thanks once again for all of the replies! :) I guess I will have to make a decision very soon, as I too am worried about the rooms selling out (although that could make my decision easier! Haha!).

Unfortunately the refundable rates at both hotels are higher (and not by a negligible amount) than the non-refundable, so I'll likely have to just pick one and stick with it (and stop looking at prices and hotels!).

I'm just really stuck on whether a 24hr front desk should be a necessity to me given the fact I'll be solo! From a safety perspective...

Thanks once again for all of the replies! :) I guess I will have to make a decision very soon, as I too am worried about the rooms selling out (although that could make my decision easier! Haha!).

Unfortunately the refundable rates at both hotels are higher (and not by a negligible amount) than the non-refundable, so I'll likely have to just pick one and stick with it (and stop looking at prices and hotels!).

I'm just really stuck on whether a 24hr front desk should be a necessity to me given the fact I'll be solo! From a safety perspective...

Honestly never something I thought about even though I travel solo - probably because I don't go out partying until all hours so I'm able to rest and be ready for touring. Then again, I never heard of a hotel that didn't have at least one person on duty at all times, so that is weird to me.

Yes, people who don't pay attention to their surroundings or look after their belongings may get pick pocketed, but Barcelona is really not an unsafe city.

I have been out late at night on my own in many Spanish cities and have never felt unsafe. What do you think is going to happen to you? Violent crime is relatively rare in Europe. If it ever did happen it would be in the street, not inside a hotel.

I'm not a late-nighter either - will be spending my 2 days touring and I'm sure I'll be exhausted by nighttime from the jet lag and long days.

I think I've eliminated the 7-room non-staffed hotel from the running for safety reasons... Not that I'm worried anything will happen, but as a young female solo traveler, I would feel better knowing there's someone around if I need anything.

I'm now wondering if I should splurge and spend some extra money to get something perhaps more predictable... An extra $150 for the 2 nights total would open some more doors for me... So I could look at the H10 Catalunya Plaza, the Pulitzer, and the Mate Pau.

Anyone stayed at those? Worth spending the extra $$$ for one of those?

Just to add another into the mix... H10 Universitat (it's about a block away from the H10 Plaza Catalunya and somewhat cheaper).

Sort of between those two H10s now... For the 2 nights, H10 Universitat is $399CAD and refundable - basic room with double bed. H10 Catalunya Plaza is $520CAD and not refundable.

Edited by Newbcruiser1

BOOKED!

I bumped up my budget and booked Hotel Jazz (347 euros so about $510CAD for 2 nights)! I figured it would be worth the piece of mind. And it's very close to the Universitat Aerobus stop as well.

Those nights must be in high demand being a weekend with several ships leaving on Sunday - the prices those nights were $100 more per night than most other nights.

Thanks once again to everyone for your thoughts, advice, and opinions!

Good for you! As previously commented, my friends and I are also staying at Hotel Jazz as I have read many excellent reviews on both Cruise Critic and Trip Advisor. Can I ask what cruise line are you sailing with and what days you are staying at Hotel Jazz. I've noticed this hotel seems to be very busy the weekend we are booked which is Sept 30 to October 3.

Bruin Steve

It is normal in almost all modern European hotels for the room key to operate the electricity, not just in Spain. If you knew how high utility bills are in some European countries you would understand why they don't want lights and A/C on all day when the room is empty.

My friends in Spain pay almost double for electricity to what we pay in the Uk.

Some European hotels do supply washcloths, but not all. We use them in the UK, but they are not common in the rest of Europe.

Like you, these days prefer my home comforts and enjoy staying in decent hotels. If you book at the right time you can sometimes find a bargain.

Thank you for this info! I will add in an empty gift card and a washcloth to my packing list. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

BOOKED!

I bumped up my budget and booked Hotel Jazz (347 euros so about $510CAD for 2 nights)! I figured it would be worth the piece of mind. And it's very close to the Universitat Aerobus stop as well.

Glad you were able to book at room.

If you are going on the October 16 cruise on the Pacific Princess, might I suggest that you also sign up on the roll-call page for that cruise? There are two other cruisers staying at the Hotel Jazz on that date and are trying to plan a group (and possibly cheaper) transport from the Hotel Jazz to the boat on Sunday October 16. Might be worth your while to contact the organizers and see if they need more people for a group rate.

Have fun on your cruise.

Glad you were able to book at room.

If you are going on the October 16 cruise on the Pacific Princess, might I suggest that you also sign up on the roll-call page for that cruise? There are two other cruisers staying at the Hotel Jazz on that date and are trying to plan a group (and possibly cheaper) transport from the Hotel Jazz to the boat on Sunday October 16. Might be worth your while to contact the organizers and see if they need more people for a group rate.

Have fun on your cruise.

We are leaving October 16th as well but on Oceania Riviera. We may be staying at Hotel Jazz. Trying to decide between that and Hotel Colon in the Gothic area Had recommendations for both. If we stay at Jazz I will check your Roll Call about possible transportation to ship

We are leaving October 16th as well but on Oceania Riviera. We may be staying at Hotel Jazz. Trying to decide between that and Hotel Colon in the Gothic area Had recommendations for both. If we stay at Jazz I will check your Roll Call about possible transportation to ship

Catherine, if you don't mind staying a bit north in Eixample, we found the Circa 1905 B&B excellent. We also loved Eixample and are going to stay there from now on pre or post cruise. The area is walkable to the old quarter and Las Ramblas, feels less touristy and is in the area of the Gaudi houses. Tons of choices for great restaurants.

Catherine, if you don't mind staying a bit north in Eixample, we found the Circa 1905 B&B excellent. We also loved Eixample and are going to stay there from now on pre or post cruise. The area is walkable to the old quarter and Las Ramblas, feels less touristy and is in the area of the Gaudi houses. Tons of choices for great restaurants.

Thanks. Will check it out. Email me and tell me how your June 2nd cruise went:)

We always do airBnB. Feel like we get so much more for less. We have a stunning Apt booked in Oct for 5 days 2 bedroom and 2 bath living room kitchen. Laundry. 2 couple splitting our cost was 378.per couple This time we are in the gothic area. Last time We stayed in the Ravel area

Thanks everyone! :) Staying from October 28-30th prior to the Epic Transatlantic so doesn't correspond with either of those other sailings/groups.

Sorry I missed your earlier posts. We have used airbnb for our last two trips to Europe and have been very happy. We don't even look at hotels anymore.

We have had two stays in Barcelona, one up by Parc Guell, and the other by Plaza Espana. Both were for a week in a private apartment (three of us), and both about $100 per night.

When it is just the two of us, we prefer to stay as a guest in someone's home. That has worked out very well in Copenhagen. We are planning a three week auto trip in Germany next year, all in airbhb places.

Edited by RVRoadie

I haven't stayed here but hotel Ambit has good reviews on trip advisor. Although I just cancelled that for hotel barcelona catedral as I like to be near el born and placa catalunya (for aerobus).