December 2016 cruise to rome

Sandi07054

The euro rate is pretty low right now. No one, however, is going to be able to predict what the rate will do between now and December. There was a poster here who, back in February or March ranted and raved that the euro would be at parity with the dollar by summer. That hasn't happened. In fact, since then, the euro has only dropped slightly, from about 1.14 to the current 1.10.

If you look around the board, the common recommendation is to get the euros you need at an ATM in country. We are leaving for Europe in 10 days...that is exactly what we will do, and have done many times in the past.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Thanks you

Wondering if you have stayed in Rome. We are looking for a hotel for 2 nights pre- cruise

Lots of info on this board re hotels in Rome, including some recent threads. Scan down the screen, and also do a search.

Have a great cruise.

Thanks you

Wondering if you have stayed in Rome. We are looking for a hotel for 2 nights pre- cruise

Have been there 4 times. There are many threads on hotels. We stay at the Rome Cavalleri...great 5 star hotel, but that is not for everyone.

Have been there 4 times. There are many threads on hotels. We stay at the Rome Cavalleri...great 5 star hotel, but that is not for everyone.

Points stays??? Ever get the upgrade to the Imperial rooms and the Imperial lounge??? If I had stayed with Hilton, I aspired to trying beg my way into one of those rooms. But, free nights in a garden-view was nothing to sneeze at.

Cavalieri is not right in the center of things and you do have to the take either the hotel shuttle or a taxi to get down to Centro Storico, the view from the top of Monte Mario every night is quite nice. Best done out on the patio with a glass of wine in hand!

I too am looking for a pre-cruise hotel but the search has brought up nothing so I'll try going down the list. This is the first time a search has produced nothing.

Hmmm, there have been hundreds of discussions of hotels in Rome on this board, so something is certainly wrong. I just did a search and got 20 pages of results... Did you search just on this Forum?

At any rate, here are a few of the more relevant threads that turned up in my search. (You're welcome ;))

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2363224&highlight=rome+hotels

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2332302&highlight=rome+hotels

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2272655&highlight=rome+hotels

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2238281&highlight=rome+hotels

I am thinking about albergo del senato in pantheon area. Got good reviews on tripadvisor

Also do you think we should book our flights now for December? My daughter has been following an app called 'Hopper'. It says the flights will go down.

We are flying in Saturday morning and going on cruise Monday. I really want to go to Vatican. I'm thinking of booking a tour around 2:30. Do you think my timing is good?

Thanks to all of you

I am thinking about albergo del senato in pantheon area. Got good reviews on tripadvisor

Also do you think we should book our flights now for December? My daughter has been following an app called 'Hopper'. It says the flights will go down.

We are flying in Saturday morning and going on cruise Monday. I really want to go to Vatican. I'm thinking of booking a tour around 2:30. Do you think my timing is good?

Thanks to all of you

Albergo del Senato is an excellent hotel in an excellent location. It's one of my very favorite hotels. Not cheap, but if it's in your budget, I say go for it. No real drawbacks other than the cost.

As for flights, who knows? I am not a good predictor of future events. Airfare to Europe does tend to be less in the winter than in the peak season (holiday periods excluded, of course). But airlines also tend to reduce capacity during that period too, so -- at least in the last few years -- I have not seen any screaming deals to Europe in the lower seasons. If you live somewhere like NY with multiple options for airports and carriers, you may spot a good deal. Otherwise, like most of us, you pays your money and you takes your chances.

Depending on your arrival time, 2:30 should be fine for the Vatican, but just keep in mind you are likely to be jet-lagged. If the excitement of seeing the Vatican will carry you through, then go for it. (It often works that way for me on my first day in Rome or somewhere else I'm excited about.) Your other option would be to do it first thing on Monday morning before going to the port.

Edited by cruisemom42

Points stays??? Ever get the upgrade to the Imperial rooms and the Imperial lounge??? If I had stayed with Hilton, I aspired to trying beg my way into one of those rooms. But, free nights in a garden-view was nothing to sneeze at.

Cavalieri is not right in the center of things and you do have to the take either the hotel shuttle or a taxi to get down to Centro Storico, the view from the top of Monte Mario every night is quite nice. Best done out on the patio with a glass of wine in hand!

Both points and paid stays.

Our last stay was 2 nights points, 2 nights paid. Booked an Imperial Room, was upgraded (Diamond) to a suite, as the hotel was jammed by a convention....live music,,fireworks...many events.

The Imperial Lounge was very nice. In our top two or three favorite hotels in the world. Going to try Conrad St James London in a couple of weeks. Award stay.