Misc YVR airport info

Djaye

If you have TSA precheck, it is of no value at the YVR airport - it is only good in the states. Pack/prepare accordingly. :)

Not surprised...YVR is an international flight (airport) for most of us and isn't included in TSA precheck...Global Entry is.

Hmm, since YVR is in Canada, and therefore not under the supervision of the TSA, it never would have occurred to me that Pre-Check would be valid there.....

I am obviously not the seasoned traveler you are. We did not purchase TSA precheck - just got it assigned randomly. I only mentioned the YVR airport experience in case someone else did not think of it.

If you have TSA precheck, it is of no value at the YVR airport - it is only good in the states. Pack/prepare accordingly. :)

Why would anyone expect a domestic US program to apply in a foreign airport? Would you expect precheck to apply in Athens or Rome?

Why would anyone expect a domestic US program to apply in a foreign airport? Would you expect precheck to apply in Athens or Rome?

To be fair to OP, CBP staff are stationed at YVR just like at all major Canadian airports. While it's an incorrect assumption that TSA are also here, it's a very common one - just search these very boards to see how many other folks have asked whether they can use TSA Pre at YVR... and at least one responder above was helped by the post.

Returning to the US FROM Canada I definitely did have pre-check. The US Custom & border patrol was in the Canadian airport. So OP, you were likely just unlucky. It was printed on my boarding pass from Canada to Philadelphia. (I have GE, my husband does not, We both had Pre-check printed on our boarding passes)

Hmm, since YVR is in Canada, and therefore not under the supervision of the TSA, it never would have occurred to me that Pre-Check would be valid there.....

Edited by alwaysfrantic

Returning to the US FROM Canada I definitely did have pre-check. The US Custom & border patrol was in the Canadian airport. So OP, you were likely just unlucky. It was printed on my boarding pass from Canada to Philadelphia. (I have GE, my husband does not, We both had Pre-check printed on our boarding passes)

That IS interesting! We had pre-check printed on our boarding passes and it got us nothing in YVR. From the other replies, I thought I was just being stupid. Just passing along our experience......

That IS interesting! We had pre-check printed on our boarding passes and it got us nothing in YVR. From the other replies, I thought I was just being stupid. Just passing along our experience......

I am not sure what it got me line wise but shoes on, liquids and laptops in bag.

There was a line with a Trusted Travelers sign at YVR, but it was roped off and not open to anyone when we were there.

Then I guess they thought there were no "Trusted Travelers" traveling at that time :D:D...Sorry couldn't help myself ;)

Actually since there is no TSA in Canada, there is NEVER any valid TSA Pre regardless of what it says on boarding passes. We get TSA Pre printed on our boarding passes too, because we have our KTN on our profiles with all the airlines we fly with - so it prints on every pass with a US flight involved, regardless of whether it's a domestic US or a Canada-US flight. Read the fine print on the program and you'll see that Precheck is NOT a CBP program - it's a TSA-only program, so no TSA means no Precheck.

Physically showing our NEXUS cards is the only way we get access to the short security queue in Canada: your Global Entry status is what allowed you access to queue since it was a US-bound flight, and usually one person of a couple showing the card allows entry to the queue.

To be fair to OP, CBP staff are stationed at YVR just like at all major Canadian airports. While it's an incorrect assumption that TSA are also here, it's a very common one - just search these very boards to see how many other folks have asked whether they can use TSA Pre at YVR... and at least one responder above was helped by the post.

Thank you! And, thanks for your further explanation. I am putting this one to rest!! :)