Vietnam Gets Attention!! Future Options??

TLCOhio

Vietnam is getting lots of attention right now from the news media, especially with a U.S. President visiting there this week. Very interesting and helpful coverage as we are researching and planning for the future!! At the bottom is one New York Times story details and a connection for the full story that came out yesterday.

Why our interest? For early 2018, we are weighing and debating the various pro/con factors for a Hong Kong to Singapore (or reverse) cruise with several stops in Vietnam, plus an excursion that gets us Angkor Wat, etc. . . . VERSUS . . . doing a Mekong River, smaller-ship cruise with before and after, longer land stops/visits for Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Angkor Wat, Bangkok, maybe northern Laos, etc.??

Lots of options and factors involved. There are several good cruise lines to consider for such an ocean, Hong Kong-Singapore cruise. Getting on the ship, unpacking once, etc., seems nice and handy. But, the ocean cruises offer only limited time (at some distance away) for Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City and other countryside areas.

We are also looking at the options with Avalon Waterways for their smaller, 38-passenger ship to do the Mekong River for seven days. With their Globus tour/ground connections, they offer some flexible pre- and post-sailing options for doing Hanoi (and Halong Bay), Ho Chi Minh City, Angkor Wat, northern Laos, Bangkok, etc. This river cruise option would allow for doing a more in-depth sampling in both Vietnam and Cambodia, plus, plus. While we have done five cruises on smaller ships with 200-250 passengers, we have never sailed on this small of a ship. The Avalon ship is nice and fairly new, but does not have a wider range of dining places, on-ship activities, etc. We, however, will only be on that ship or any Mekong River ship for a short period of time and there will be lots of shore activities to do during the river stops during this sailing.

What other factors, options, potentials, etc., am I missing or not considering in comparing these two cruising concepts/directions/pathways? For those who have been to Vietnam, Cambodia, etc., what were your TOP FAVORITES, can't miss stops, places to skip/avoid, etc.?

From the New York Times Travel Section Sunday, they have this headline: "5 Places Obama Should See in Vietnam" with encouragement for him and others to: "have a chance to sightsee in a country that has plenty to offer tourists, including picturesque port cities, temples and seemingly countless historic sites." These were the five stops where they gave strong attention: the limestone towers of Halong Bay, Hanoi's Temple of Literature built in 1070 and dedicated to Confucius, Ho Chi Minh City's nearby Cu Chi Tunnels, the historic trading port of Hoi An and Hanoi’s French Quarter. Do all agree that these sound good for visiting?

Full NY Times story and details at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/22/travel/5-places-to-see-obama-vietnam-visit.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Ftravel&action=click&contentCollection=travel&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=2&pgtype=sectionfront

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 143,531 views for this posting.

From the Philadelphia Inquirer Travel Section this past weekend, they have this headline: "Mekong River cruise meanders through Vietnam, Cambodia" with details about a writer for a Pennsylvania newspaper doing a Mekong River cruise for seven days. It was a 479-mile journey from Phnom Penh, Cambodia's capital city, to Ho Chi Minh City, the former capital of Vietnam that many people still call Saigon.

Here are some of the profile's highlights: "Not all cruises are on oceangoing palaces where thousands of passengers are gorging at midnight buffets and splurging at trendy shopping venues. There are smaller ships to provide a more intimate travel experience emphasizing history, culture, and people. We did spend two off-ship days in Hanoi, and we took in great famous venues, especially Angkor Wat, the 12th-century temple that is the world's largest religious monument. But the most lasting impressions came from meshing with the lives of Cambodians and Vietnamese. We were aided by pull-no-punches guides who took us to farms, villages, schools, factories, an orphanage, and a site of mass genocide. The temperatures hovered between 90 and 100 degrees, topped off by a syrupy humidity that required us to shower and change outfits three times a day."

He noted these details on the Mekong: "The river is a highway, workplace, irrigation source, washing machine, recreation area, bathtub, dishwasher, social club, domestic backyard, children's playground, and protein factory (the world's second most diverse fishery, after the Amazon). The Mekong Delta is Vietnam's food basket, and neon-green rice paddies - marriages of crop and water - dominate the landscape. Every year, the river floods two-thirds of the delta, dumping rich sediment that provides three harvestings of rice a year."

Learned some new things today!! Interesting facts and background. Will copy the full story to my trip computer file.

Full story at:

http://www.philly.com/philly/living/travel/20160522_Mekong_River_cruise_meanders_through_Vietnam__Cambodia.html

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 198,539 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

We recently spent four weeks in Vietnam. Mid March to Mid April.

It was wonderful. Independent travel from Pho Quok Island in the south to Hanoi. Mountains, seaside, cities, delta.

Our feeling is that Vietnam is not a country that one can visit by cruise ship and get a feel for the country. Much better to do a land trip. Vietnam is booming.

I would recommend a sixth site. The War Museum in Saigon. It is not pretty, it is slanted to the victor, there is propaganda, but it contains some unsavoury truths that many people are not aware of. No different than any other war museum in any other country really.

• 1 month later...
We recently spent four weeks in Vietnam. It was wonderful. Independent travel from Pho Quok Island in the south to Hanoi. Mountains, seaside, cities, delta. Our feeling is that Vietnam is not a country that one can visit by cruise ship and get a feel for the country. Much better to do a land trip. Vietnam is booming. I would recommend a sixth site. The War Museum in Saigon. It is not pretty, it is slanted to the victor, there is propaganda, but it contains some unsavoury truths that many people are not aware of. No different than any other war museum in any other country really.

Appreciate these great comments, tips, suggestions and ideas. Very helpful! Will copy and save to my trip files. Look forward to other suggestions. Our leaning is now towards the plan of doing a combination of land and river cruises to explore the various locations in SE Asia.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 214,263 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

We toured Vietnam and Cambodia by land and river cruise in 2011. Cruise friends of ours joined us for part of the time (15 days), we had an extra week..We sailed with AMA Waterways, as at the time we booked, they were the only North American company featuring the Mekong River. By the time we actually went, Viking had just started to get in the market.

My friend's review is here:

http://www.cruisecritic.com.au/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=80735

Our extra time was spent going along the coast from HCM City to Hanoi, where we met up with our friends. Some of the highlights were visiting Hoi An and Hue.

Carol

Edited by CJcruzer

We toured Vietnam and Cambodia by land and river cruise in 2011. Cruise friends of ours joined us for part of the time (15 days), we had an extra week..We sailed with AMA Waterways, as at the time we booked, they were the only North American company featuring the Mekong River. By the time we actually went, Viking had just started to get in the market.

My friend's review is here:

http://www.cruisecritic.com.au/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=80735

Our extra time was spent going along the coast from HCM City to Hanoi, where we met up with our friends. Some of the highlights were visiting Hoi An and Hue.

Carol

I have flight booked for a SE Asia trip next year. We're planning on doing it land. Interesting that you thought Hoi An and Hue were highlights. On most cruise ships they are either skipped or only a day...and impossible on a river cruise. Those towns were the reason I decided land.

I'm also toying with taking a pass on a Halong Bay cruise. It just seems so touristy.

we enjoyed our overnight and day on Halong Bay..It was cold and foggy, but that only lent more "mystique" to the area.....Also, it was my husband's birthday that night, and the guide had a beautiful white frosted cake, with white flowers and embellishments (and candles! I never said anything (I got dirty looks from hubby) but the guide must have had it from his list of passport information, and made a "mental note" - it was not a "special" birthday.

We had some time to walk around Hue, and our hotel overlooked the Perfume River - at sunset a few of us gathered for drinks at the rooftop bar, and watched as the nightime lights came on over the city...

We also had a cooking lesson (after our market tour) in Hoi An - at the Red Bridge cooking scool. We went by motor boat, the grounds were beautiful (as much as we could see from our vantage point.

Carol

Edited by CJcruzer

we enjoyed our overnight and day on Halong Bay..It was cold and foggy, but that only lent more "mystique" to the area.....Also, it was my husband's birthday that night, and the guide had a beautiful white frosted cake, with white flowers and embellishments (and candles! I never said anything (I got dirty looks from hubby) but the guide must have had it from his list of passport information, and made a "mental note" - it was not a "special" birthday.

We had some time to walk around Hue, and our hotel overlooked the Perfume River - at sunset a few of us gathered for drinks at the rooftop bar, and watched as the nightime lights came on over the city...

We also had a cooking lesson (after our market tour) in Hoi An - at the Red Bridge cooking scool. We went by motor boat, the grounds were beautiful (as much as we could see from our vantage point.

Carol

Do you have any hotel recommendations? Originally, I was going to just stay in Hoi An and odd an excursion to Hue, to try and reduce the hotel shuffling. Now, I'm thinking of taking a flight to Hue, spend the remainder of the day visiting DIY, then getting an excursion/tour the following day that includes a transfer to Hoi An.

What overnight cruise ship did you use for Halong? It appears with some providers we can arrange a private transfer from Hanoi and with a airport drop-off, which would help because my allocated time is a day short for the itineraries I've worked out (probably a week short, but one has two work within the time-off they can manage.:))

Anyone been to Liam Prabang in Laos...it's the included item in my itinerary work ups that is making things difficult.

Do you have any hotel recommendations? Originally, I was going to just stay in Hoi An and odd an excursion to Hue, to try and reduce the hotel shuffling. Now, I'm thinking of taking a flight to Hue, spend the remainder of the day visiting DIY, then getting an excursion/tour the following day that includes a transfer to Hoi An.

What overnight cruise ship did you use for Halong? It appears with some providers we can arrange a private transfer from Hanoi and with a airport drop-off, which would help because my allocated time is a day short for the itineraries I've worked out (probably a week short, but one has two work within the time-off they can manage.:))

Anyone been to Liam Prabang in Laos...it's the included item in my itinerary work ups that is making things difficult.

We were in the Imperial Hotel in Hue.... The junk in Halong Bay was from Indochina Sails.

Carol

We had to obtain a 30 day Visa to enter Vietnam. Since we were entering by land we had to do it through a travel agent in Cambodia. It was a snap, no more or less difficult than getting a visa from other countries. The agency took our passport, we paid, and then picked it up 2 days later.

We started in Phu Quok, an island in the very south. Flew to Can Tho and did a homestay/boat trip on the Mekong and toured the Delta. Bussed to Saigon. From Saigon we flew to Dalat in the mountains. Very nice. Bus to Nha Trang. Nothing spectacular there. Flight to Da Nang, transport to Hoi An. Then Hue. Train to Hanoi. We were not that impressed with our two day cruise in Halong Bay. We much preferred the similar sights near Koh Samui and Koh Lanta/Ko Lippe.

We were one month exactly. Although we like cruises we were so glad that we did not select an ocean or a river cruise. There is much see and experience. The people are wonderful. The only downside were the incredibly rude Chinese mainland and Russian tourists.

We had to obtain a 30 day Visa to enter Vietnam. Since we were entering by land we had to do it through a travel agent in Cambodia. It was a snap, no more or less difficult than getting a visa from other countries. The agency took our passport, we paid, and then picked it up 2 days later.

We started in Phu Quok, an island in the very south. Flew to Can Tho and did a homestay/boat trip on the Mekong and toured the Delta. Bussed to Saigon. From Saigon we flew to Dalat in the mountains. Very nice. Bus to Nha Trang. Nothing spectacular there. Flight to Da Nang, transport to Hoi An. Then Hue. Train to Hanoi. We were not that impressed with our two day cruise in Halong Bay. We much preferred the similar sights near Koh Samui and Koh Lanta/Ko Lippe.

We were one month exactly. Although we like cruises we were so glad that we did not select an ocean or a river cruise. There is much see and experience. The people are wonderful. The only downside were the incredibly rude Chinese mainland and Russian tourists.

Not good to know about the Chinese tourists...we're coming in on China Air to Saigon. Planning on getting the visas ahead for Vietnam since we're coming off the long flight, after midnight - so I don't want to deal with the visas at the airport.

It sounds like you did not get into Laos, correct? The city that I was interested in was Luang Prabang (I butchered the spelling in the previous post). We're skipping Thailand this trip since we've been there on a previous land trip.

I'm really on the fence with the junk cruise on Ha Long. It just seems like such a tourist mill experience.

How many days for Hue and Hoi An would each of you recommend? I've cut Siem Reap down to 3, so there isn't much wiggle room. I've circled two nights in Luang Prabang - but it's really only a day the way the flights work out.

Right now I have 4 nights (3 days really) in Saigon, one Hue, 2 Hoi An, 3 Siem Reap, 2 Luang Prabang, 3 Hanoi and 1 for Halong. Then flying to Hong Kong (which we have somewhat missed through the years) and then on to Seoul (found great business FF return tickets).

Nha Trang is also a really beautiful city, so is Da Nang for that matter. I would say Ha Long bay, Hue and HMC are must sees. Don't forget the beaches, VN has some of the best.

What the heck let me see if I have a few pictures from our last trip I can post.

Hue

VNThailandDec2012354_zps5eaa37f5.jpg

VNThailandDec2012335_zps8bb507ed.jpg

VNThailandDec2012289_zps99f4c53d.jpg

Beach near Cam Ranh most are just as deserted.

VNThailandDec2012183_zps5da3cf4b.jpg

500 year old Japanese bridge in Hoi An

VNThailandDec2012094_zps89dcdf3b.jpg

We did not go to Laos. It is on our list, as is Myramar.

We would not do the Halong Bay cruise again. We much preferred similar areas in Thailand. Plus, the weather can be iffy depending on the time of year. It is a tourist trap.

We did two full days in Hue, a day and a half in Hoi An. In Siem Reap we arranged for a private guide. It was very good. And we recommend this. Air conditioned Lexus..it was very hot. Guide was knowledgeable. We avoided the crowds, he took us to the best sites. Very inexpensive. Did the same in Dalat. We joined a very small group in the Mekong Delta.

Edited by iancal

Thanks all..from the pictures it looks like I'll be rethinking a way to add time in Hue. Looked at the Imperial Hotel..it looks very nice, thanks for the lead.

I'm really on the fence now for the cruise...it will be February.

• 3 weeks later...
We toured Vietnam and Cambodia by land and river cruise in 2011. Cruise friends of ours joined us for part of the time (15 days), we had an extra week..We sailed with AMA Waterways, as at the time we booked, they were the only North American company featuring the Mekong River. By the time we actually went, Viking had just started to get in the market. Carol

iancal: We had to obtain a 30 day Visa to enter Vietnam. Since we were entering by land we had to do it through a travel agent in Cambodia. It was a snap' date=' no more or less difficult than getting a visa from other countries. The agency took our passport, we paid, and then picked it up 2 days later. [/quote']

Appreciate the above and other items relating to Vietnam, Cambodia, etc. Plus, the nice pictures. This all helps for doing our planning and research.

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Telegraph yesterday, they have this headline: "Vietnam, Cambodia and the Mekong Delta" with these highlights: "Vietnam is about 1000 miles top to toe, and the climate reflects this. In the north, it’s pleasant but cool; the central area is balmy; and Ho Chi Minh city is hot. We travel from Hanoi to the limestone outcrops and beguiling green waters of Halong Bay. Then, journey to Ho Chi Minh, Notre Dame cathedral and Reunification Square. The following day we burrow – definitely not for claustrophobics – Into the Vietcong’s Cu Chi tunnel complex, a stark reminder of what is referred to here as the 'American War'. Then it’s north-west up the Mekong Delta to Phnom Penh and Angkor Wat’s City of Temples."

There are a nice range of pictures and other details in the story. The writer traveled part of the area by train, but this reporting offers a number of ideas to consider. On food, here is what was said: "Few people will fly 11 hours to Vietnam for the cuisine. Restaurants tend to offer set menus of similar fare: soups, baked fish, chicken, rice, noodles and vegetables, followed by dragon-fruit and melon."

Full story at:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tours/vietnam-cambodia-and-mekong-delta-tour-with-grj/

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from my latest live/blog at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 17,953 views for this reporting and visual sharing that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Thanks all..from the pictures it looks like I'll be rethinking a way to add time in Hue. Looked at the Imperial Hotel..it looks very nice, thanks for the lead.

I'm really on the fence now for the cruise...it will be February.

We returned to Viet Nam (2nd visit) after touring Myanmar in January. In Hoi An, we stayed at the Anantara Resort. The walk to the old town area was very convenient from this hotel. The rooms overlooking the river were beautiful and the grounds and rooms well maintained. The staff were very helpful.

In Hue, we stayed at the Eldora Hotel. The Eldora was somewhat of an average hotel, not quite up to the Anantara level.

Bob

During our month in Vietnam we travelled on planes, busses, train, ferry, and van. Never a problem. It was all very good and up to the standard that we are used to.

We actually prefer the food in Thailand to that in Vietnam. Both are good though.

We stayed in smaller hotels last winter. Never had a bad one. Prices ranged from $25-$35 USD night, including a full breakfast. We tend to avoid the large tourist/business hotels. Had enough of them during my working career and we can stay at a Marriott or Accor around the corner without going all the way to Asia

The only exception was the small hotel directly on the beach in Phu Quok. That was $50 night, no breakfast. The Accor resort beside us was $175 night. We use tripadvisor extensively plus recommendations from fellow travellers that we meet along the way.

We did not get to the far northern part of the country. Next time. We ran out of time-our trip was book ended with a flight back to Thailand. Our only regret was going to Halong Bay for two nights/three days instead of going north. Halong Bay is fine, but we saw similar sights in Thailand. Better weather in Thailand, blue skies, etc.

Edited by iancal

Unfortunately, we'll have to book the bigger hotels, since we are hopeless gym rats and I don't know if we can find places to run or would want to in the heat and humidity.

I'm now considering deleting Hue and focusing on Hoi An and the surrounding area. We tend to be more "students of social science" in our travel approach rather than 'students of history". I have also replace Luang Prabang with Kuala Lumpur, since I like the flight choices from Siem Reap.

If I delete Hue, I have an extra day...where would you add it? Right now we have 3 days each in HMC, Hoi An, Hanoi (no cruise), and Siem Reap and 2 in Kuala Lumpur. We also have 3 days in Hong Kong near the end (it has been on the bucket list for ages) and 2 days in Seoul (where I found great FF business class for flights back). Note:each city is really is 1/2 day less because of travel time.

The trip has turned into more of a SE Asia/Asia clone - but, I really don't know when and if we will get back to this side of the world, so I'm just trying to allocate that scarcest resource...time, without rushing through the places we do end up visiting.

Edited by buggins0402

• 1 month later...

The Christmas/New Year 2018 itineraries are not yet out, but I want to return to Vietnam. We had a great a visit a few years back. We spent a month in a lousy inside on the Costa Victoria. But I must say that the Saigon tour we bought from Costa cannot be topped. It even included a lunch, with Vietnamese entertainment, in a restored art deco hotel overlooking the Saigon River. Seemed like Graham Greene would appear any minute.

I am a great fan of Graham Greene, and the whole scene took me right back to The Quiet American, a novel that preceded the U.S. involvement but is one of the most insightful books about the Indochina war. It's one of two novels I read repeatedly because I admire the way the authors capture a location and a moment; the other is Truman Capote's Breakfast at Tiffany's.

I have a mint copy of the Greene book I bought in Saigon, which seems to be a center of bootlegging books and some significant books were available at bargain prices. (The Greene was my souvenir; as an author I don't appreciate bootlegging).

We overnighted in Halong. The karsts are worth seeing but there isn't much in the town. One aim of my trip was to try grilled caterpillars, an old Vietnamese delicacy. None to be found. Also, conical hats and ao-dais on women, the split skirts, are a thing of the past.

From Da Nang I taxied in torrential rain to Hoi An, where a banner was strung across a main street welcoming Costa Victoria passengers. It's a quaint place, but next time I want to go to Hue . . . (By the way, karsts similar to those in Halong Bay dotted the landscape in the countryside).

It will be exciting to see who all will be offering holiday sailings. At the present time, I would be inclined to take the HAL Volendam, which has a cruise with a stop in Sihanoukville and an overnight in Thailand. We have been there several times. Instead of Bangkok, we would choose Jomtien Beach, south of Pattaya, which is half an hour from Laem Chabang.

Even have a hotel picked. The Rabbit Resort.

Edited by barante

Thank you for such an interesting post. We are off to Vietnam and Thailand in February - I will hunt out a copy of the Quiet American today!

I will also take a look at Jomtien beach for our second day in Laem Chabang.

Waggie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Terry,

Vietnam is great not just cuz of Obama, anyway, my family went on Mekong river cruise from Vietnam to Siem Reap ( i couldn't join) and they absolutely loved it, they've been on a 5 day cruise. Ask me if you need help regarding cruise etc ( i will ask my brother and share the details here)

cheers