Sydney Hotels

Is the Meriton Pitt Street close enough to the Rocks that an old lady with a cane can walk there easily? This is what I've been looking at for a 4-5 day stay before our cruise.

Def not, stayed at Meriton, Pitt St, a couple of times, couple of miles to the Rocks, down hill on the way and uphill on the way back. Very good apartments, but you would need a cab to get back if incapacitated. We are staying there on 7 December after flying back from LA, post cruise, before we pick up our car from a relative's house in Sydney and do the 4 -5 hour drive home down the coast. We catch the train from the Airport to Town Hill Rail Stn, then 3 minute walk, to Meriton.

Also look at TFE Hotel Group, they own Vibe, Adina, Travelodge and a few others, good range all over Sydney.

Edited by NSWP

Is the Meriton Pitt Street close enough to the Rocks that an old lady with a cane can walk there easily? This is what I've been looking at for a 4-5 day stay before our cruise.

Too far to walk. But you could grab a cab, probably about $10 except for the George street mess, may mean $20.

Thanks! I've looked at the TFE site and see some possibilities. Since we're going to be in Sydney for 5 or 6 days I was thinking a serviced apartment, with a fridge, microwave and laundry would be very nice. We enjoy eating out, but not for every meal! I still may book the Meriton and just use cab's to get where we want to go. The room's in the in the Rocks area are so high and we'd have to eat out every meal.

Sometimes I think it would be better to book at the last minute and not have so much time to make a decision about where to stay:).

Edited by Plant

Thanks! I've looked at the TFE site and see some possibilities. Since we're going to be in Sydney for 5 or 6 days I was thinking a serviced apartment, with a fridge, microwave and laundry would be very nice. We enjoy eating out, but not for every meal! I still may book the Meriton and just use cab's to get where we want to go. The room's in the in the Rocks area are so high and we'd have to eat out every meal.

Sometimes I think it would be better to book at the last minute and not have so much time to make a decision about where to stay:).

That's what I'd be inclined to do. A serviced apartment central to the CBD, Merriton on Pitt fits that bell, as do some others. Then a taxi to the dock. That way you can walk to most things including transport for the four or five days and only have one cab ride.

That's what I'd be inclined to do. A serviced apartment central to the CBD, Merriton on Pitt fits that bell, as do some others. Then a taxi to the dock. That way you can walk to most things including transport for the four or five days and only have one cab ride.

Agreed, there are also some serviced apartments near Wynyard station and also St James' station (not as handy a line as it is on the Bondi line) which would also fit the bill.:D

For those that have spent all their hard earned $s on the cruise or who have arrived in Sydney early and want somewhere budget conscious to stay, I would have no hesitation in recommending the YMCA, Hyde Park. Breakfast is included in the tariff, it's close to Hyde Park station, only a few stops from Circular Quay, close to the CBD and the rooms are clean with en suite rooms available. it's also great for families.

We just booked the Mantra 2 Bond Street, seems like its a good location. Closer than Meriton Apts. They have 1 and 2 bedroom apts. And some include Breakfast, but still have a kitchen, washer/Dryer since we will be there 5 days ahead of cruise.

We just booked the Mantra 2 Bond Street, seems like its a good location. Closer than Meriton Apts. They have 1 and 2 bedroom apts. And some include Breakfast, but still have a kitchen, washer/Dryer since we will be there 5 days ahead of cruise.

Certainly nothing wrong with Mantra in Bond.

Just checked this out and it's waaaayyy out of our price range! Did you find a deal somewhere?

I'm still leaning toward the Meriton on Pitt.

How far from nearest Railway Stn in the CBD, don't want to lug the ports too far. Meriton in Pitt St is only 3 min walk from Town Hall Railway, plus you can nick down to Woolworths Cafeteria at Woolworth Town Hall Store, big brekkie there for $9, lubbly jubbly. Time Warpish, but good value.

Edited by NSWP

How far from nearest Railway Stn in the CBD, don't want to lug the ports too far. Meriton in Pitt St is only 3 min walk from Town Hall Railway, plus you can nick down to Woolworths Cafeteria at Woolworth Town Hall Store, big brekkie there for $9, lubbly jubbly. Time Warpish, but good value.

Not far from Wynyard Uncle Les

Just checked this out and it's waaaayyy out of our price range! Did you find a deal somewhere?

I'm still leaning toward the Meriton on Pitt.

I think that's why you were getting pointed towards Meriton.

But be aware Sydney can be a tad pricey, many visitors comment, often in the top two or three most expensive cities in the World for visitors. Largely because wages are so high.

All depends on what type of harbor view you want.

I am looking at the Pullman at Circular Quay for next year with a Harbor view.

These are like a 1 bedroom apartment with balcony so you can sit out side and may be a bit cheaper.

There is a kitchen and a laundry in the apartment. There is also a restaurant at the Pullman if you want to eat out.

Chez

NSWP - Dont know how close to railway, maybe someone from there can answer that. We thought we would just get a cab from airport as there are 4 of us.

Plant- Dont know when your going, just did a comparison for Jan when we will be there and meriton on pitt was more than Mantra 2. I did apt for 2 (dont know how many in your party). We first booked Meriton, then realized Mantra2 was so much closer to rock area. They can both be cancelled with no penalty.

NSWP - Dont know how close to railway, maybe someone from there can answer that. We thought we would just get a cab from airport as there are 4 of us.

Plant- Dont know when your going, just did a comparison for Jan when we will be there and meriton on pitt was more than Mantra 2. I did apt for 2 (dont know how many in your party). We first booked Meriton, then realized Mantra2 was so much closer to rock area. They can both be cancelled with no penalty.

You aren't far from Wynyard Station, however being close to the Rocks isn't necessarily the best spot for a few days visiting Sydney, Meriton is more central to the shopping district.

Gut2407

So are we better at Meriton on Pitt than Mantra, we go on a cruise after 4 days in sydney, not really gong there to shop, just sightsee.?? Or does it really matter they dont seem that far apart. Price is good either place. Mantra 2 includes breakfast. Thanks

Gut2407

So are we better at Meriton on Pitt than Mantra, we go on a cruise after 4 days in sydney, not really gong there to shop, just sightsee.?? Or does it really matter they dont seem that far apart. Price is good either place. Mantra 2 includes breakfast. Thanks

If you are reasonably fit, it is not going to matter.

And by reasonable fit I mean upto walking maybe 5,000 steps a day, which isn't a lot.

I doubt you would regret either of them.

Edited by GUT2407

Fairly close to Wynyard station (5 mins) especially if utilising the tunnels and 5-10 mins from Circular quay down the hill, not a bad location at all.

If you are reasonably fit, it is not going to matter.

And by reasonable fit I mean upto walking maybe 5,000 steps a day, which isn't a lot.

I doubt you would regret either of them.

Agreed, I would opt for the Mantra over the Meriton though, closer to the main sightseeing areas of SYDNEY and also the ferries.

The Mantra on Bond St is 800 metres from the OPT - 9 minutes walking. It's about 240 metres (in the opposite direction) to Wynyard Station - 3 minutes walking. I think it's a great location.

The Meriton on Pitt is at World Square (so lots of shops and eateries). It's 450 metres to Town Hall Station - 6 minutes walking. Not quite as good a location for sightseeing.

In a few more years we'll have the oh so wonderful :rolleyes: light rail running the length of George St.