Edinburgh

I will be visiting Edinburgh on a Princess cruise this summer. Am thinking to take a cab up to the castle and spend several hours there then walk back down the hill thru the old town area stopping at a few sites/pubs along the way.

Another option would be to go on a HOHO bus. What do you recommend? Are there any particularly interesting places we should be sure not to miss?

I will be visiting Edinburgh on a Princess cruise this summer. Am thinking to take a cab up to the castle and spend several hours there then walk back down the hill thru the old town area stopping at a few sites/pubs along the way.

Another option would be to go on a HOHO bus. What do you recommend? Are there any particularly interesting places we should be sure not to miss?

Hi Mike

Well providing you have no mobility issues I think walking is the best option for Edinburgh. You talk about the Old Town and it is certainly best viewed on foot. In fact the most historic part is pedestrianised so you wouldn't see it from the ho-ho bus. The 'street' is called The Royal Mile, connecting the Castle with the Palace of Holyroodhouse which is the Queen's official residence in Edinburgh.

This website may help you with what there is to do between the two

http://www.royal-mile.com/onroyalmile.html

There are various walking tours available which might be of interest to you. Mercat Tours and New Edinburgh Free walking Tours are just a couple of examples.

There are volunteers at the port who can help you with specific info. Our website is

http://www.cruiseforth.com.

As well as that I have posted threads which shows you how to get into Edinburgh by train or shuttle. You can also take a local bus (40A into Edinburgh and 40 back to the port at South Queensferry). I will post a link to these.

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2046842&highlight=shuttle+edinburgh

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2031574&highlight=train+edinburgh

https://tiscon-maps-stagecoachbus.s3.amazonaws.com/Timetables/East%20Scotland/40%2040a%2029.09.15%20web.pdf

Hope this is of use but let me know if there's anything else you need to know

@tartanexile81 We have visited Edinburgh several times -- I grew up in the UK and have family in Largs. We are planning a British Isles cruise in 2017 and thinking about alternatives to visiting Edinburgh in early June. The idea of staying in the Queensferry area is interesting http://www.queensferrytours.com/inchcolm.php

Do you have any other suggestions for the area?

@tartanexile81 We have visited Edinburgh several times -- I grew up in the UK and have family in Largs. We are planning a British Isles cruise in 2017 and thinking about alternatives to visiting Edinburgh in early June. The idea of staying in the Queensferry area is interesting http://www.queensferrytours.com/inchcolm.php

Do you have any other suggestions for the area?

There are certainly lots of options other than Edinburgh. The tour to Inchcolm isn't available on cruise days unfortunately, because the boat is used as a tender! Queensferry is certainly a pretty, historic village, but there probably wouldn't be enough to fill your day. There is a guided walking tour and also an interesting stately home (Hopetoun House) about a mile from the village.

Other ideas round Edinburgh might be:

Rosslyn Chapel (think Da Vinci Code);

The Royal Yacht Britannia at Leith, formerly the Queen's holiday boat and lovely to see;

Royal Botanic Gardens

Pandas at Edinburgh Zoo

Slightly further afield, there's of course St Andrews (about an hour by car)

or the Falkirk Wheel - https://www.scottishcanals.co.uk/falkirk-wheel/plan-your-visit/ (doable by train).

Linlithgow is another historic town nearby and has an historic palace and a canal with boat trips offered.

If any of these interest you I'd be happy to give you more info

We are hoping to go to Rosslyn chapel from South Queensferry. We will plan on using the shuttle into Edinburgh and then the bus to Rosslyn. Could you give me any advice on making this journey such as where to find the Rosslyn bus in Edinburgh? Is it necessary to book entrance tickets in advance?

Hi jennjess,

It is actually quite easy to get there. If you check out the thread using the shuttle to get to Edinburgh you will see some photos of the route to the castle and you'll be doing something similar, just not as far.

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2046842&highlight=shuttle+edinburgh

When you get off the shuttle bus, turn left and walk straight down towards Princes Street (the driver will point it out if you're unsure). When you reach Princes Street, turn left, past the large 'House of Fraser' store on your left. Keep walking for about 5 minutes keeping the shops on your left. if you have a look at the photos, you will see what a bus stop looks like. You are looking for one that shows that Number 37 buses stop there. Make sure you get one that says Penicuik / Deanburn on the front or via Roslin. Here is a timetable for the buses:

http://lothianbuses.com/timetables-and-maps/timetables/37.

You pay the driver as you get on the bus. It is £1.50 per person. You can have a one way or return ticket. I assume a return would be better for you so £3? You need to have the correct coins, as they cannot give change

It will take about 45 minutes depending on traffic. You get off the bus at the Roslin Hotel and there is a sign there pointing to the chapel. It is only 2 minutes walk. Roslin is a tiny village so you cannot get lost and it is well signed. You will find people on the bus pretty friendly so don't hesitate to ask someone if you're unsure.

Enjoy your visit. Do you need to know anything else?

Edited by tartanexile81

Hi jennjess,

It is actually quite easy to get there. If you check out the thread using the shuttle to get to Edinburgh you will see some photos of the route to the castle and you'll be doing something similar, just not as far.

When you get off the shuttle bus, turn left and walk straight down towards Princes Street (the driver will point it out if you're unsure). When you reach Princes Street, turn left, past the large 'House of Fraser' store on your left. Keep walking for about 5 minutes keeping the shops on your left. if you have a look at the photos, you will see what a bus stop looks like. You are looking for one that shows that Number 37 buses stop there. Make sure you get one that says Penicuik / Deanburn on the front or via Roslin. Here is a timetable for the buses:

http://lothianbuses.com/timetables-and-maps/timetables/37.

You pay the driver as you get on the bus. It is £1.50 per person. You can have a one way or return ticket. I assume a return would be better for you so £3? You need to have the correct coins, as they cannot give change

It will take about 45 minutes depending on traffic. You get off the bus at the Roslin Hotel and there is a sign there pointing to the chapel. It is only 2 minutes walk. Roslin is a tiny village so you cannot get lost and it is well signed. You will find people on the bus pretty friendly so don't hesitate to ask someone if you're unsure.

Enjoy your visit. Do you need to know anything else?

That sounds like something we would enjoy also. I have memories of a wonderful meal at Hendersons in Edinburgh but see mixed reviews at the moment.

I used to eat a lot at Henderson's Alaskanb when I was a student but there's just so many great eateries around Edinburgh that it's not quite kept pace.

The reply about Rosslyn Chapel was for the other poster but it is amazing and well worth a visit. Last time I was there there was a talk at 11:00 from a guide and it was really helpful.

ETA - if you are there on a Sunday there is a place called The Stand - it's an intimate comedy club. Sunday lunchtime show is FOC around 40 tables inside. Bar service and table service for food.. Burgers, nachos etc. The comedians are absolutely hilarious I've been on all 3 trips to Edinburgh

Tartanexile, many thanks for your informative reply. It seems quite easy to do.

A question or two about the shuttle, will it be easy to spot from where the tenders drop everyone off?

Also is it available to everyone ie no need to book in advance? and will there be enough places for all who wish to use it?

Edited by jennjess

Tartanexile, many thanks for your informative reply. It seems quite easy to do.

A question or two about the shuttle, will it be easy to spot from where the tenders drop everyone off?

Also is it available to everyone ie no need to book in advance? and will there be enough places for all who wish to use it?

It is easy to do and public transport in Edinburgh is excellent.

Yes the shuttles are easy to find. When you get to the top of the pier they are just to your left and the owner of the company will be visible with his board and his voice!!! You pay one of his assistants by the coach. They usually wear hi-vis jackets. They will accommodate everybody who wants to go on the shuttle but I would strongly advise getting an earlier shuttle because the queues can build up later in the morning. Hopefully you're Elite so you'll get priority for the tender.

Edinburgh Castle is glorious, as was St. Giles Cathedral, also on the Royal Mile and not too far from the castle. Holyrood House, as has been mentioned is at the other end of the Mile and is magnificent too. I particularly liked the Greyfriar's Bobby Pub - such a great legend/story that goes along with it, even a statue to Bobby is outside, google it to read up and see what it's about. Spent a relaxing time there having a half pint and writing some post cards.

Along the mile - it's so quaint and charming, you'll find offerings for tours along the way (lots of ghost tours which are at night so might not be possible if you have to get back to the ship) so it'll depend upon your interests but....you'll have spent quite a bit of time at the castle and meandering along the mile, in the pub, cathedral - Edinburgh is enchanting. Enjoy :)

Don't know if you have time for a tour up to Loch Lomond, but if you do - GO!!! :D

It is easy to do and public transport in Edinburgh is excellent.

Yes the shuttles are easy to find. When you get to the top of the pier they are just to your left and the owner of the company will be visible with his board and his voice!!! You pay one of his assistants by the coach. They usually wear hi-vis jackets. They will accommodate everybody who wants to go on the shuttle but I would strongly advise getting an earlier shuttle because the queues can build up later in the morning. Hopefully you're Elite so you'll get priority for the tender.

Sadly far from Elite so we will have to take our chances. Thanks again!

• 5 months later...

Some people walk - it's about 2 miles- but there are taxis by the gate. There's also a few private hires locally you could ring from the ship and arrange fro them to pick you up. For example, Dalmeny Cars - 0131-3000-767

or Arnes Private Hire 0131-331-5050 or Ferry Fare taxis - 0131-331-3399

Some people walk - it's about 2 miles- but there are taxis by the gate. There's also a few private hires locally you could ring from the ship and arrange fro them to pick you up. For example, Dalmeny Cars - 0131-3000-767

or Arnes Private Hire 0131-331-5050 or Ferry Fare taxis - 0131-331-3399

Thanks. I think the Forth Bridge walking tour, a pub lunch, and afternoon at Hopetoun House (with afternoon tea) would be a nice day.

Thanks. I think the Forth Bridge walking tour, a pub lunch, and afternoon at Hopetoun House (with afternoon tea) would be a nice day.

I agree! The Hawes Inn is an historic building right opposite the pier and The Ferry Tap is a traditional Scottish pub in the middle of the village

The tartan shop where you get tickets for the walking tour is only 2 minutes from the pier.