Train at Skagway - comparisons with Flam?

claudiniusmaximus

Hi Folks

Just wondering if anyone has done the rail journey in both Flam and Skagway so that they can compare them.

We did the Flam rail journey when we were there a few years ago and although it was ok we were a bit underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, it was pleasant. But not that great.

This was mainly because we felt like we only got to glimpse moments of amazing scenery. The waterfall was nice in a kooky sort of way (the dancers) but was so crowded and brief it wasn't that enjoyable. We found that it was mostly nice scenery with occasionally a few seconds of breaks in foliage to quickly peek at vistas that were truly beautiful. Probably only about 20% if it was truly stunning and even then we only saw it for a few seconds at a time. We did wish we'd done the train up and the bike journey back down because we could tell that there was amazing scenery out there but we're frustrated that we only got to glimpse it from the train.

We don't really want to do the train at Skagway if that offers similar -- but would be more tempted if the outstanding scenery was more visible more often.

I did go and look at the reviews of the Flam railway on TA hoping that maybe the reviews of Flam would be less enthusiastic than Skagway but the reviews are overwhelmingly amazing for both which didn't reflect our experience. In fact reading the reviews without knowing which journey you were looking at you wouldn't know necessarily whether you were reading reviews for Flam or Skagway which makes me think they are similar.

Maybe we just aren't scenic rail journey types?

Anyway thoughts from anyone who has done both would be welcome.

We did contact Green Jeeps about two weeks ago to look into driving ourselves but haven't had a reply.

Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've done and enjoyed both. The Flam ride goes through more pastoral areas surrounded by mountains. The mountains near Skagway are more rugged. There are a few waterfalls around Skagway, but they are not wide ones like Yosemite. I've done the Skagway Railroad and have also rented a car and driven to Emerald Lake. I prefer going by car since I can stop where I want to and stay as long or short as I want to. My favorite part was the ride along Bennet Lake, which you don't get much of on the train. There are several reviews on this forum comparing the train ride with renting a car or going with a tour operator. If you do drive, definitely download Murray's guide - murraysguidedotcom. He had a detailed road guide with pictures.

Thanks - yeah self drive is an option for us too. Especially if you are saying it's similar to Flam in the sense that you only get glimpses of the scenery?

Cheers

With the train, you are on the move the entire time, although the train ride is narrated. If you want to be able to stop and pause at the scenery, then a car rental or guided road tour would be better.

Ps we would do the journey into the Yukon to see Carcross or Bennett if we do it (not just to the summit and back)

We have been to Skagway many, many times. There can be a lot of fog at the summit and in the valley in the morning. We’ve done the train, bus, and rented a car. We enjoyed renting a car the best and driving up into the Yukon. If you do rent a car and drive up to Emerald Lake be sure to get Murray's guide, tons of great info in the guide. I wouldn’t rent a green jeep, I they are kind of a gimmick. We use Avis in Skagway, a bit expensive, they don’t accept any discounts.

If you do the train up, sit on the left for the scenery looking waaaay down the cliffs. ;) Those on the right get periods of staring at rock walls.

We took small bus down and stopped several times.

We have done Flam too. That was much more green and lush. Alaska ride was rugged,very steep and had nice narration on and off.

Edited by eandj

We have done the White Pass and Yukon train several times and the Flam RR once. We have also driven our own vehicles into Skagway and have rented vehicles during port calls (we used AVIS).

The White Pass is rather different than the Flam trip. The narration on the White Pass discusses the Klondike Gold Rush and the difficulties in building the railroad.

But if the OP was underwhelmed by the Flam trip they should consider renting a vehicle. Choice of scenery is subjective (ie, what I find charming another may find boring to view), but they may find part of the highway rather underwhelming too.

I have not been to Flam.

I can tell you I preferred the train ride between Anchorage and Seward better than the one in Skagway.

Not sure what cruise you are going on but if you are going to Seward, the train is a great way to go.

Hello,

Post-retirement I've had considerable travel experience including arranging private port tours, including British Isles and Norway. Previously have done Norway in a Nutshell from Bergen. I can say that British Isles (twice) and Norway were absolutely wonderful. This next year we are staying somewhat closer to home. Probably our 5th Alaska cruise.

Basically, Alaska can be rt Seattle or Vancouver (both wonderful cities, though not London) or one-way from or to Vancouver from Alaska with or without a land tour (private or cruiseline-sponsored). My expectation if you are from UK spending the day at Skagway is that you have more planned either stateside or Canada?

(1) Seattle and Vancouver/Victoria are wonderful places and worth extra time (we are adding Globus Wonderful Rockies Vancouver/Calgary, and other RT Vancouver options are available: maybe compare to Switzerland?)

(2) The closest an Alaska cruise comes to a fjord is Glacier Bay.

(3) The rail to Flaam and rail travel out of or to Skagway are quite different with different histories. I think both Flaam and Skagway are only open for tourists. You probably have three port calls and if you have never visited, you will want to say hello to whales in Juneau, have some rail experience in Skagway, and consider some experience in Ketchikan or visit Misty Fjords. Sort of depends what you have going on for the rest of your vacation? Skagway options include seeing Emerald Lake and various combinations of rail and van/coach.

(4) I'm not a car rental guy as I want my vision available not reserved for the road, and I like some reassurance on a port day versus a multi-night city visit. I also believe that you will find fewer private tourist options in Alaska and price savings significantly less than in Europe.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask here or at my travel email (balticports@yahoo.com).

DJ:)

Hello,

Post-retirement I've had considerable travel experience including arranging private port tours, including British Isles and Norway. Previously have done Norway in a Nutshell from Bergen. I can say that British Isles (twice) and Norway were absolutely wonderful. This next year we are staying somewhat closer to home. Probably our 5th Alaska cruise.

Basically, Alaska can be rt Seattle or Vancouver (both wonderful cities, though not London) or one-way from or to Vancouver from Alaska with or without a land tour (private or cruiseline-sponsored). My expectation if you are from UK spending the day at Skagway is that you have more planned either stateside or Canada?

(1) Seattle and Vancouver/Victoria are wonderful places and worth extra time (we are adding Globus Wonderful Rockies Vancouver/Calgary, and other RT Vancouver options are available: maybe compare to Switzerland?)

(2) The closest an Alaska cruise comes to a fjord is Glacier Bay.

(3) The rail to Flaam and rail travel out of or to Skagway are quite different with different histories. I think both Flaam and Skagway are only open for tourists. You probably have three port calls and if you have never visited, you will want to say hello to whales in Juneau, have some rail experience in Skagway, and consider some experience in Ketchikan or visit Misty Fjords. Sort of depends what you have going on for the rest of your vacation? Skagway options include seeing Emerald Lake and various combinations of rail and van/coach.

(4) I'm not a car rental guy as I want my vision available not reserved for the road, and I like some reassurance on a port day versus a multi-night city visit. I also believe that you will find fewer private tourist options in Alaska and price savings significantly less than in Europe.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask here or at my travel email (balticports@yahoo.com).

It seems the Flaam segment of rail travel is quite short, although an engineering achievement. The basic rail is Bergen to Oslo, and the Flaam segment available for mainly tourists. Last time in Flaam we visited the tourism website and spent the afternoon on a fjord cruise and a scenic coach ride.