Solo Dining Oasis

brenak

Dining seems to be one of the areas of the most concern for solo cruisers, so I wanted to share my experience on the Oasis. I've done several solo cruises and the Oasis was the hardest for me for dining.

I tried My Time Dining for the first time, which in hindsight was a mistake. I only ate in the dining room once for dinner and it was at least a half hour wait. I did try a couple of other times and the line was just as long, so I gave up. On the night that I did eat there, I said that I preferred to sit with others, so they put me at a table for 8. However, they never put anyone else at my table, so I ate at that huge table by myself.

I also ate in a dining room a few times for breakfast and lunch, and again, I was always seated by myself, even when I said I preferred to share. This is different from my experiences on other ships where they just fill in big tables at breakfast and lunch and you're always sitting with others unless you specify you want a table alone.

This may not be an issue for others who prefer a table to themselves, but I felt pretty uncomfortable. The Oasis just didn't seem like the best choice for the solo cruiser, at least during meals. If you do prefer to sit with others, traditional dinner is probably the best bet. I ended up eating most of my meals in the more casual venues.

I'm sure others have had better experiences, but I at least wanted to pass along mine in case it's helpful.

Traditional dining was one of the reasons I choose Crystal for my solo cruising (as well as their low singles' supplement) - I like meeting the same people at dinner most every night......If the table is full of people I don't "connect" with, I just ask for a different table. If the table is full of people whom I enjoy chatting with, it works out great.

Dining seems to be one of the areas of the most concern for solo cruisers, so I wanted to share my experience on the Oasis. I've done several solo cruises and the Oasis was the hardest for me for dining.

I tried My Time Dining for the first time, which in hindsight was a mistake. I only ate in the dining room once for dinner and it was at least a half hour wait. I did try a couple of other times and the line was just as long, so I gave up. On the night that I did eat there, I said that I preferred to sit with others, so they put me at a table for 8. However, they never put anyone else at my table, so I ate at that huge table by myself.

I also ate in a dining room a few times for breakfast and lunch, and again, I was always seated by myself, even when I said I preferred to share. This is different from my experiences on other ships where they just fill in big tables at breakfast and lunch and you're always sitting with others unless you specify you want a table alone.

This may not be an issue for others who prefer a table to themselves, but I felt pretty uncomfortable. The Oasis just didn't seem like the best choice for the solo cruiser, at least during meals. If you do prefer to sit with others, traditional dinner is probably the best bet. I ended up eating most of my meals in the more casual venues.

I'm sure others have had better experiences, but I at least wanted to pass along mine in case it's helpful.

On the bolded in your post. I understand where you are coming from. What happened on your cruise sounds almost depressing. I would not cruise under those conditions. For those who prefer their own company at dinner almost any ship is an oasis. (pun intended). However, those solos with a social personality have be more selective when booking.

I sail exclusively on NCL and it's either been a Solo table of 6 or 10 every night for dinner. For me personally, a dining experience is the key.

On the bolded in your post. I understand where you are coming from. What happened on your cruise sounds almost depressing. I would not cruise under those conditions. For those who prefer their own company at dinner almost any ship is an oasis. (pun intended). However, those solos with a social personality have be more selective when booking.

I sail exclusively on NCL and it's either been a Solo table of 6 or 10 every night for dinner. For me personally, a dining experience is the key.

It actually was depressing and completely changed my enjoyment of the cruise. I really wanted to go on the Oasis and am glad I did it, but now I know that huge ship and My Time Dining isn't the best solo experience for me.

I've been on Oadis and Allure - but never ate in the MDR. I personally don't mind eating alone - prefer it - but I would just feel (as you did) uncomfortable around so many other people. In general, I didn't find those ships very welcoming because it seemed like everyone else was in a group and I was always the lone one. I just felt more alone on those ships.

Would still return as I like the restaurants and entertainment, but it's not my favorite solo vacation experience.

Sorry about your dining experience:(....if I had been sitting at a large table

alone, I would have gotten up and walked back up to the host/hostess

station and explained to them I would not be sitting at such a large table

by myself......

I agree it sounds depressing and it sounds like the wait staff didn't listen

to your request......not very customer service oriented:mad:

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, that's very weird. Sorry that happened to you. On other Royal Caribbean ships, I had no problems being seated with others at lunch.

I would think at MTD it might be difficult to place a single at a large table. Most people who go to MTD go with their party of however many to secure a table for they're party. Hence that's why they selected MTD so they don't have to bother being placed with other people.

They probably placed you at the large table in hopes that other singles would come along with MTD.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk