Paris -- what are your favorite "hidden gems"?

Turtles06

If you are a tea lover or a tea drinker, you would love having lunch or a tea break at Mariage Frères. There are several shops and tea rooms around Paris, but the original is in the Marais and is a really special place. It's like walking into another era, with a beautiful shop, cafe and upstairs museum. And the tea is just magnificent! It's also fun to wander through the Marais, if you haven't spent time there. How wonderful you will have five days! Here's a link to my blog post and photos of our experience at Mariage Frères:

http://www.themodernpostcard.com/mariage-freres-paris-mothership/

Mary

Travel Blog: http://www.themodernpostcard.com

If you are a tea lover or a tea drinker, you would love having lunch or a tea break at Mariage Frères. There are several shops and tea rooms around Paris, but the original is in the Marais and is a really special place. It's like walking into another era, with a beautiful shop, cafe and upstairs museum. And the tea is just magnificent! It's also fun to wander through the Marais, if you haven't spent time there. How wonderful you will have five days! Here's a link to my blog post and photos of our experience at Mariage Frères:

http://www.themodernpostcard.com/mariage-freres-paris-mothership/

Mary

Travel Blog: http://www.themodernpostcard.com

Thanks for posting, I hope your suggestions will be helpful to others following this thread, which I started nearly two years ago (!) and which someone recently resurrected. :) No matter, so much of what is wonderful in Paris remains unchanged.

I agree with you about the Marais, we love to walk through there. Here's one of my favorite photos from our trip last year, a fountain in the Place des Vosges:

Place%20des%20Vosges%20fountain%202smaller%201024x741_zpsf1ssxchm.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

• 4 weeks later...

When you visit Invalides, be sure after visiting Napoleon's tomb to go around the back and visit the cathedral of the Army and the Army history museum.

On Sunday, the flower market becomes a pet market: birds, rabbits and strange things.

Behind Notre Dame is a small park and the entrance to the catacombs.

There is a little known hotel in the Hotel de Ville (the home of the Charity Hospital of Paris. You will be across the street from Notre Dame and next to an entrance to the Metro (a great way to see the city).

Glenn:cool:

• 4 weeks later...

A must: free walking tours with Discover walks.

During our last trip to Paris 2 yrs ago, we did 5 free tours with this company. What a great way to see Paris! Start your stay in Paris with at least one tour before going out on your own. You will have so much more information about the city and what to look for as you explore on your own afterwards. We loved the different tours, each had something special to offer. The left bank, Montmartre, Le Marais, Ile de la Cité...

I can't tell you how much these tours were valuable! The guides are all locals and they take a maximum of 12 people per tour.

One of my favorites is the Musée Carnavalet in the 3rd arrondissement. It focuses on the history of Paris from Lutèce to the modernization of the city. It is housed in two separate mansions.

I love this museum too but I believe it is now closed for extensive renovations as of late 2016. Check before you put it on your list.

My spouse and I will be visiting Paris for nearly five days later this year. It will be our second visit to this beautiful city. On our first, which was years ago, we saw the "famous" places most first-time visitors see, as well as spent a great deal of time walking around and taking it all in, as Paris is a city in which one should do exactly that! :)

For our upcoming trip, there are a number of places that we just did not get to the first time around (including the Opera Garnier, Sacre Coeur, the Rodin Museum, and Les Invalides), that are on our likely list.

But I would love to hear from folks about their favorite "less famous" places or hidden gems or just other things that you'd recommend to a second-time visitor.

Thanks in advance!

We were in Paris visiting the Eiffel Tower. It started raining. It was gorgeous. We found the most charming little bistro near the tower that had the most glorious coffee. It was June and the rain made it very cool. So that taught me to always go to the dumpiest place on the street. They have the best food.

Some totally random things to do and off the beaten track-ish places to visit in the City of Light from someone who whiled away many weeks and long weekends there...

The view from the top of the Tour Montparnasse - arguably one of the best in Paris, alongside that from the Parc des Buttes Chaumont. Visit the Musée d'Orsay - home to arguably the greatest collection of French Impressionist paintings. Visit the Père-Lachaise Cemetery - the last resting place of Balzac, Bizet, Chopin, Piaf and - allegedly - a certain Jim Morrison, to name but a few...

Great, free views of Paris from the rooftop of Galleries Layfayette and the balcony just outside the restaurant in the Musée D'Orsay. Don't miss Rue des Rosiers in the Marias for the world's best falafel. Interesting pet stores along the Seine near the Louvre on the Right Bank. The Picasso Museum is one of the most beautiful museums anywhere even if you are not a fan of his art. Visit Polaine Boulangerie on the Rue du Cherchi Midi in the 6th Arr. for delicious butter cookies (free samples!)

Just a few tips from someone who loves Paris and has been going there regularly for almost 50 years!:D

Edited by ptrpanpens

What a great thread old or not ;)

Question about entertainment please if someone is reading and can help?

DH wanted to go to Moulin Rouge but I have been reading that it is quite touristy now and not the same calibre of performance? Is there an alternate venue anyone could suggest?

thank you:D