Dog sledding with bad back / neck

Smallfamily

Can someone tell me if they have done this with a bad back or neck and how was it? Compared to horseback riding is it smoother or rougher? Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have done the dog sledding on snow in Skagway. Riding in a dog sled is filled with sharp bumps that translate through the wooden seat into your neck and back. It would take a pretty thick cushion to make it comfortable.

P5120105-1.jpg

I have a bad back. You do have to be careful walking on the icy snow to the sled and you are sitting on hard wooden slats, I have to say there are some bumps along the way but it did not hinder my great dog sled ride.

Edited by Missymo

I have done the dog sledding on snow in Skagway. Riding in a dog sled is filled with sharp bumps that translate through the wooden seat into your neck and back. It would take a pretty thick cushion to make it comfortable.

Great picture! I'm assuming you took this on one of your May visits ? Was this a private excursion? Would you care to share if so? All I have been reading/hearing is the wheeled dog sledding and really would like to do it in snow. :)

I would ask your doctor and get information from the cruise line if it is their excursion.

If I were in doubt I would not go though. You could get part way out and find it painful and then you're stuck.

I have a bad back and I know what it can be like.

Edited by patrick401ca

Great picture! I'm assuming you took this on one of your May visits ? Was this a private excursion? Would you care to share if so? All I have been reading/hearing is the wheeled dog sledding and really would like to do it in snow. :)

Yes, this was taken during one of my May visits to Skagway and through a ship excursion. I think the ships have priority for booking the very limited seats on the helicopters so this excursion needs to be booked as far in advance as possible. Each helicopter seats six passengers and each sled holds three. Two helicopters departed from their terminal near the pier. Safety vests and over-boots are provided.

As we departed from the helicopters, every dog barked their wish to be chosen for a run in the snow.

Walking in deep snow reminded me of my days in upstate New York. The dog camps are moved as the season warms so that they will always be in fresh snow.

We saw three two-week old puppies but the mama would only let our musher handle them BUT there was an entire dog team that loved our attention.

I have been to Caribou Crossing in the Yukon, watched the dog carts on a dirt road, and determined that there is no comparison to snow sledding with the snow, kicked up from all of those paws, hitting you in the face. As a photographer, I chose to skip my turn as a musher on the towed sled and concentrated on capturing good images with my camera.

In all of my travels, this was my favorite excursion and I highly recommend it for someone's bucket list.

Here is a link to my excursion:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/alaska-2/skagway-2/dog-sledding/

Edited by Crew News

Yes, this was taken during one of my May visits to Skagway and through a ship excursion. I think the ships have priority for booking the very limited seats on the helicopters so this excursion needs to be booked as far in advance as possible. Each helicopter seats six passengers and each sled holds three. Two helicopters departed from their terminal near the pier. Safety vests and over-boots are provided.

You can book privately --

http://www.temscoair.com

No priority of ships booking. They get their allotted seats.

I'm definitely going to clear with my dr I wouldn't risk my health. My question is more related to how rough and how much I would hurt after. The atv on rough terrain was a great but disappointing description because I have felt that and it did not feel good similar to horseback riding. Not sure if when you book if you know will this location be on ice or snow.

I'm definitely going to clear with my dr I wouldn't risk my health. My question is more related to how rough and how much I would hurt after. The atv on rough terrain was a great but disappointing description because I have felt that and it did not feel good similar to horseback riding. Not sure if when you book if you know will this location be on ice or snow.

It will definitely be on deep snow. When the sled is stopped, a thick rod is pushed deep into the snow and acts similar to a car's parking break.

I've sent an email to the one recommended above. It looks like the actual sledding is about 20 min. I'm going to see if I can just wait while my hubby goes. I really want to do the rest of it and don't want him to miss this. Who knows if in the future my back will be better or worse. Hopefully I can bundle up it looks cold brr

I've sent an email to the one recommended above. It looks like the actual sledding is about 20 min. I'm going to see if I can just wait while my hubby goes. I really want to do the rest of it and don't want him to miss this. Who knows if in the future my back will be better or worse. Hopefully I can bundle up it looks cold brr

It is a bumpy ride. You can "wait" in port/town. I don't know of any of the companies having lower fares for just flying to the camps. If you are planing on flying together, be prepared for 2 full fares.