Best taxi service from LGA to Manhattan terminal

Idealist77

Searching these forums and can't find anything recent about this.

Does anyone know the cheapest cab/taxi service or shuttle to get us (2 people) from LaGuardia airport to the Manhattan cruise terminal? Also what the approximate cost will be.

Thanks!

You can take a car service such as Dial 7 http://www.dial7.com , or Carmel http://www.carmellimo.com , or just get on the taxi line outside the airline terminal and take a yellow taxi. Cost will be about $30-35 plus tip...car services will give you a fixed rate quote...taxi fares are based on the meter.

Whatever you do, don't take a shared ride shuttle like Super Shuttle...their service in NY is not good...and it won't save you much if any money anyway.

Edited by njhorseman

Just got back a couple days ago and agree that Dial 7 is the way to go. There are even some coupons online if you look. Just call the number when you get your bags and you will be told where to look for your driver..within a few steps.

One thing....our driver used a hwy that charged a toll. Since we are unfamiliar with the city, didn't catch that till it happened. I had read here that a toll wasn't necessary. We ended up paying a bit more than advertised. But...with the $5 coupon I found, wasn't a big deal.:rolleyes: Very easy and convenient.

Just got back a couple days ago and agree that Dial 7 is the way to go. There are even some coupons online if you look. Just call the number when you get your bags and you will be told where to look for your driver..within a few steps.

One thing....our driver used a hwy that charged a toll. Since we are unfamiliar with the city, didn't catch that till it happened. I had read here that a toll wasn't necessary. We ended up paying a bit more than advertised. But...with the $5 coupon I found, wasn't a big deal.:rolleyes: Very easy and convenient.

inside ny city there is no highway that is a toll road, but there are a few tolled bridges and tunnels. more than likely it was the triboro-rfk bridge.

inside ny city there is no highway that is a toll road, but there are a few tolled bridges and tunnels. more than likely it was the triboro-rfk bridge.

It was at a tunnel. We were on a highway of some kind before getting to the tunnel. Whatever the route the driver took, it was fast.

Edited by eandj

It was at a tunnel. We were on a highway of some kind before getting to the tunnel. Whatever the route the driver took, it was fast.

No doubt it was the Queens Midtown Tunnel. The highways you likely took were the Grand Central Parkway (immediately upon exiting the airport), the Brooklyn Queens Expressway (I 278) followed by the Long Island Expressway (I 495). The highways themselves are toll free...the toll was for the tunnel. If the driver had taken the 59th St. (Ed Koch) Bridge, you wouldn't have had to pay a toll, but that route requires taking some city streets rather than all highways so some drivers may not like it (or if they're inexperienced they may not even be familiar with the route).

Edited by njhorseman

No doubt it was the Queens Midtown Tunnel. The highways you likely took were the Grand Central Parkway (immediately upon exiting the airport), the Brooklyn Queens Expressway (I 278) followed by the Long Island Expressway (I 495). The highways themselves are toll free...the toll was for the tunnel. If the driver had taken the 59th St. (Ed Koch) Bridge, you wouldn't have had to pay a toll, but that route requires taking some city streets rather than all highways so some drivers may not like it (or if they're inexperienced they may not even be familiar with the route).

from LGA this is the LOOOONG way. It may be fast but if its fast the other way would probably be as fast, if not faster and a couple of miles shorter....

Its 21st avenue to the 59th street bridge to 57th street across 57th street to 12th avenue make the right before the highway go up until you can make a left, make another left into the cruise terminal.

as I have said before the question that used to be on every cab drivers written test was how to get from LGA to Manhattan and the answer used the 59th street-toll free- bridge.

http://mapq.st/QpN2o5

http://mapq.st/UAbQLL

and when there is traffic the second way will be MUCH faster...

from LGA this is the LOOOONG way. It may be fast but if its fast the other way would probably be as fast, if not faster and a couple of miles shorter....

Its 21st avenue to the 59th street bridge to 57th street across 57th street to 12th avenue make the right before the highway go up until you can make a left, make another left into the cruise terminal.

as I have said before the question that used to be on every cab drivers written test was how to get from LGA to Manhattan and the answer used the 59th street-toll free- bridge.

http://mapq.st/QpN2o5

http://mapq.st/UAbQLL

and when there is traffic the second way will be MUCH faster...

We don't know what the traffic was when the poster made this trip. A traffic jam on an otherwise shorter route could make that trip much longer than taking the route that would be slower under normal conditions. Drivers and dispatchers are in touch with each other and pass traffic conditions on to the service's drivers so they don't get stuck in traffic.

Since the poster took a car service, not a yellow taxi, the driver did not have to pass, or even take the TLC test you mentioned.

I remembered reading here about the no toll bridge route. So I was kind of wondering when we hit the toll. I did ask the driver about traffic and he mentioned that they take certain routes depending on the time of day to make the drive the most efficient.

s I said, he zipped along mighty fast and except when we got into the city nearer the port, did we need to slow. But...I couldn't really tell you if we were taken "for a ride". I wasn't worried as we had a set fare and with the toll and my coupon, didn't pay but a couple dollars more. AND... the driver was very friendly and offered lots of info when asked questions by my dh. So we'd use them again for sure.

I remembered reading here about the no toll bridge route. So I was kind of wondering when we hit the toll. I did ask the driver about traffic and he mentioned that they take certain routes depending on the time of day to make the drive the most efficient.

s I said, he zipped along mighty fast and except when we got into the city nearer the port, did we need to slow. But...I couldn't really tell you if we were taken "for a ride". I wasn't worried as we had a set fare and with the toll and my coupon, didn't pay but a couple dollars more. AND... the driver was very friendly and offered lots of info when asked questions by my dh. So we'd use them again for sure.

Assuming the additional charge you paid for the toll was no more than the actual toll, you weren't "taken for a ride" because there would be no financial benefit to the car service or driver for taking a route with tolls as opposed to a route without tolls.

you weren't "taken for a ride" because there would be no financial benefit to the car service or driver for taking a route with tolls as opposed to a route without tolls.

I believe one of the difference between a yellow medallion cab and car or black car service is that with car service it is up to the driver to take a toll crossing or not due to traffic conditions where a yellow cab you can specify not to use a toll crossing.

From CarmelLimo web site under airport tolls: " The driver reserves the right to take the best route due to traffic/weather conditions."

I believe one of the difference between a yellow medallion cab and car or black car service is that with car service it is up to the driver to take a toll crossing or not due to traffic conditions where a yellow cab you can specify not to use a toll crossing.

From CarmelLimo web site under airport tolls: " The driver reserves the right to take the best route due to traffic/weather conditions."

I agree, but my point is that the car service and driver don't benefit financially from deciding to take a route with tolls...as long as they don't charge you any more than the actual toll. My definition of being "taken for a ride" is when a metered taxi takes you on some roundabout routing to run the fare up so they make more money. Taxis were notorious for ripping off passengers at JFK by "taking them for a ride". That's why we now have a flat fare between Manhattan and JFK rather than it being on the meter.

• 4 years later...

We just took a cruise out of New York and used Dial7. Great service !!!! I pre-booked online and upon arrival at LGA I called them just after getting our luggage and once we walked outside the vehicle pulled up and drove us into Manhattan to our hotel before our cruise. Cost was around $40 with toll charge and tip. When we returned from our cruise I had book them to take us back to LGA and again once we were off the ship with our luggage I called them and we just walked across 12th Avenue and the vehicle pulled up. Trip cost was approx $50 with toll and tip. I would highly recommend this service over paying for a transfer on a bus from the cruise line which is twice the price.

All great information here. I will be sailing on the Breakaway in August out of the Manhattan Cruise Terminal -first time sailing out of this terminal. My question about the taxis - do they enter the port area or do you they drop you outside the port and you have to walk in? When I sailed out of Civitavecchia, only taxis that had permits could enter the port area so I'm wondering if this is the same for the Manhattan cruise terminal. Thanks.

All great information here. I will be sailing on the Breakaway in August out of the Manhattan Cruise Terminal -first time sailing out of this terminal. My question about the taxis - do they enter the port area or do you they drop you outside the port and you have to walk in? When I sailed out of Civitavecchia, only taxis that had permits could enter the port area so I'm wondering if this is the same for the Manhattan cruise terminal. Thanks.

Yes Taxis are allowed in port area. It's more like the drop off at an airport. Check back regularly whether car services such as Dial 7 can enter for pickup or if you will need to arrange to meet them across the street. It seems to change every so often.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes Taxis are allowed in port area. It's more like the drop off at an airport. Check back regularly whether car services such as Dial 7 can enter for pickup or if you will need to arrange to meet them across the street. It seems to change every so often.

Whether car services can pick up at the cruise terminal changes from day to day. They could allow them in on Saturday but not on Sunday this week but do it the other way around next week. The best chance of them allowing car service pick ups is on days when there is only one ship in port,..but...it's not guaranteed.

That's good. One less thing to worry about. :)