Mykonos

Edmontontraveller

We suggest looking at 3 possible options, depending on your own preferences and the time you have in port. If you are interested in ruins, do consider a trip over to Delos. This can be done on a cruise ship excursion, or for less money, on your own via a boat trip from Mykonos Town (use the internet to find out about schedules and prices). Another great option is to simply go to the beach. Mykonos is a popular beach resort island for a good reason....they have some excellent beaches and the water is great for swimming (in warmer months). and the third option (which can be combined with the other options) is to just spend time walking around Mykonos Town, browsing the shops/boutiques, and perhaps enjoying a snack and/or drink at one of the cafes.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

We took a taxi (and yes there really are only 30 some taxis on the island and they are all at the cruise ship in the am!) to Ornos beach. It was very nice and the prices for the chairs were not bad at all. We took the public bus back to town and spent some time just walking around. We were able to see everything that we wanted to see. We then lucked out and found a taxi to take us back to the ship. If not you can take public transportation. (Bus)

• 3 months later...
Very easy to do on your own. We rented an ATV and rode around the island, visiting various beaches, for most of the afternoon. We went back into town and walked around the waterfront at sunset.

How did you find the ATV company? Did you prebook online or just find them once you got there? What was the cost? Can you drive ATVs on the road or off road only? Did they give you a map or is it just pretty easy to find your way around?

Thank you for your help!

Very easy to do on your own. We rented an ATV and rode around the island, visiting various beaches, for most of the afternoon. We went back into town and walked around the waterfront at sunset.

How did you find the ATV company? Did you prebook online or just find them once you got there? What was the cost? Can you drive ATVs on the road or off road only? Did they give you a map or is it just pretty easy to find your way around?

Thank you for your help!

Thank you for your help!

We did not book ahead of time, but just found an ATV rental place near the port. We had not set a plan for the day, so when we saw the rental place, we decided that would be a great way to spend the day (we were in port until 11:00 pm). I cannot remember what the cost was. They allow you to ride on the road with other traffic, and a map was provided as well. It is very easy to get around.

Edited by brunello22

Is Delos Tours the only ferry to head out to the site? We'll be docked 12p-9p and the only ferry to pick up (besides the cruise excursion) will be the 5p and return on 730p. I'm wondering if there are any others that leave in the afternoon.

I've not heard of any others. I think they are the only game in town (other than ship excursions). I guess there's potential to arrange a private boat trip over and back, but short of that....

When is your stop in Mykonos? 5:00 to 7:30 might be a lovely time of day to visit.

You don't need the shuttle bus, take the water taxi right into the centre for a couple of euros. The shuttle bus leaves you outside town with a walk in

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Where do you get the water taxi?

Anything in town or around the island that are "don't miss" items for first timers?

The first time we were in Mykonos, we docked north of Mykonos Town/Chora from 7am to 6pm. We got off to a late start to the day and just ended up exploring Mykonos Town. Highlights for us were the Windmills, the view of the waterfront restos along Little Venice, running into Petros the Pelican, and just wandering the maze of back streets. (We also really enjoyed the Ohi Day parade.) We pretty much wandered the town in detail, had a simple lunch, and even walked up the windmills up along the hills. My point is that if you want a light and simple day, you can simply explore Mykonos Town. If you want to make full use of your day, I'd recommend adding another piece like going to Delos or a beach first, and then end you day exploring Mykonos Town which is a fairly easy trip back to the port north of town.

During our most recent trip this past October, we were in port again 7am to 6pm. We were even slower getting off the ship, took a bus to Super Paradise Beach, spent a few hours relaxing (pretty dead tho) and exploring neighbouring beaches, and had a bit of time to re-explore a few of our favourite sites in Mykonos town from the original visit. If I had to do it again, I'd like to have rented an ATV.

If you're referring to the water bus, the ticket booth and boat are at the port side of the bridge leading to the main road.

https://goo.gl/photos/r1ux9BnUn4jVYB2R6

Where do you get the water taxi?

Anything in town or around the island that are "don't miss" items for first timers?

Right next to the dock. Walk off the ship, out of the gate and it's before you get to the shuttle bus. Literally across the entrance road about 20ft from the gate.

It docks in town, right next to where you can board for Delos or walk round town.

I also recommend St. John's resort, 5 star, beautiful, breakfast and lunch included.

Right next to the dock. Walk off the ship, out of the gate and it's before you get to the shuttle bus. Literally across the entrance road about 20ft from the gate.

It docks in town, right next to where you can board for Delos or walk round town.

I also recommend St. John's resort, 5 star, beautiful, breakfast and lunch included.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...