NCL 5/4/2018 12 Day out of Southampton

Help Please******** I'm trying to skim through 222 pages for my answer, but am finding it difficult. I'm in Virginia, USA. I'm booked on the Jade for this sailing and after reading way to much I'm getting confused about the airports. I should fly into (SOU) correct? I hear people talking about Heathrow, which is 2 hours away, correct. To make my life easy, I should fly into Southampton Airport, get a hotel (P.H. West Quay) was suggested, close to the port, possibly even walk-able in the a.m. of the cruise, then after disembarking, fly back from (SOU). The airport is closest to the NCL Pier correct? Any other help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks !

If you are coming from the USA, you will have to fly into Heathrow (LHR) or Gatwick (LGW). Southampton is a regional airport and has flights to UK and Europe, though theoretically you could fly to Dublin and change flights to Southampton, but its really not worth it. If you fly to LHR, best way to Southampton is National Express coaches (like your Greyhound, but better!) http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx

They pick up from the Central Bus station at LHR (which serves T1,2 &3) and at T4 and T5. Cost should be about £15-20 and it takes about 2hr 15min.

From LGW, you can either use the coaches as above, or take the train from Gatwick airport to Southampton Central.

Best hotels to walk to the ship from are the Premier Inn on West Quay or the Holiday Inn on West Quay. Both are also an easy walk from both the coach station and railway station in Southampton.

When you've made your choice, let us know and we can help a bit more.

Simon

Help Please******** I'm trying to skim through 222 pages for my answer, but am finding it difficult. I'm in Virginia, USA. I'm booked on the Jade for this sailing and after reading way to much I'm getting confused about the airports. I should fly into (SOU) correct? I hear people talking about Heathrow, which is 2 hours away, correct. To make my life easy, I should fly into Southampton Airport, get a hotel (P.H. West Quay) was suggested, close to the port, possibly even walk-able in the a.m. of the cruise, then after disembarking, fly back from (SOU). The airport is closest to the NCL Pier correct? Any other help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks !

Well, most people flying from overseas take advantage of a Southampton departure to tag on a pre- or post-cruise visit of London, in which case it makes sense to fly into one of the London airports (and as already pointed out, flying into SOU would require a connection in Europe anyways so not really practical). There are lots of easy options for travelling to Southampton from London, so no real reason to stay there at all, just travel to the dock on the morning of embarkation.

If you are coming from the USA, you will have to fly into Heathrow (LHR) or Gatwick (LGW). Southampton is a regional airport and has flights to UK and Europe, though theoretically you could fly to Dublin and change flights to Southampton, but its really not worth it. If you fly to LHR, best way to Southampton is National Express coaches (like your Greyhound, but better!) http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx

They pick up from the Central Bus station at LHR (which serves T1,2 &3) and at T4 and T5. Cost should be about £15-20 and it takes about 2hr 15min.

From LGW, you can either use the coaches as above, or take the train from Gatwick airport to Southampton Central.

Best hotels to walk to the ship from are the Premier Inn on West Quay or the Holiday Inn on West Quay. Both are also an easy walk from both the coach station and railway station in Southampton.

When you've made your choice, let us know and we can help a bit more.

Simon

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, O.K. I get what you are saying, but, if I fly into LHR, it is $1230.00 USD but if I fly into SOU it is from $647.00 to $835.00 USD Yes there is a stop over in Dublin, but my thinking was to get as close to the port as possible being I have not been to the UK before. ??? Am I insane? Then I was going to get from the ship on Disembarking day directly back to SOU which would hopefully get me on an earlier flight. I have a year + to figure it out! Thanks for your help.

If you can get a cheaper flight into SOU and aren't planning to spend time in London by all means fly into SOU. Heathrow is a zoo and Dublin is small and an easy place to make connections No need to go through London if you aren't planning to spend time there.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, O.K. I get what you are saying, but, if I fly into LHR, it is $1230.00 USD but if I fly into SOU it is from $647.00 to $835.00 USD Yes there is a stop over in Dublin, but my thinking was to get as close to the port as possible being I have not been to the UK before. ??? Am I insane? Then I was going to get from the ship on Disembarking day directly back to SOU which would hopefully get me on an earlier flight. I have a year + to figure it out! Thanks for your help.

If USA to Dublin to SOU gives you a saving, yes - go for it.

Dublin to SOU is by FlyBe. Like all European budget airlines, their prices are fluid.

Compare the prices you have with their prices for flights next week - that'll focus your mind on booking several months ahead. ;)

And their headline prices are "just fly" - luggage adds significantly to those prices, so do run through a dummy booking to check all terms and costs.

A pre-booked transfer from SOU to a Southampton city centre hotel or cruise terminal will currently cost £15 to £20, £20 or a little more for a taxi from the airport rank.

---------------------------------------

Holiday Inn in Herbert Walker Avenue is very popular with NCL passengers, because it's located at the City cruise terminal's port gate.

If you book a room at the rear it overlooks the ship at its berth.

If you book a room at the front it looks down Southampton Water & you can watch your ship sailing in. #

Premier Inn West Quay is also a very easy walk, as are Grand Harbour hotel, Ennio's, and Pig-in-the-Wall.

No city centre hotel is more than a £10 taxi ride to the cruise terminal

Precis of city centre hotels and map at https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_accommodation.htm

(Pig-in-the-Wall isn't listed there - it's set in the city wall behind Grand Harbour hotel)

JB :)

# if you look out of your bedroom window about 4.30am ;p

No, not insane! With that sort of saving, I'd be tempted myself if the flight times work! You could even have a day in Dublin if timings didn't work ideally. If you are happy with it, go for it. As said, you will miss the zoos of LHR and LGW and have a much more civilised trip through Dublin and Southampton aiports...it will also probably be quicker. As JB says, make sure you have allowed for extras on the 'budget' flights...like luggage.

Feel free to pick our brains for more info.

Simon

OMG !!!!! You guys and /or gals are just wonderful. Thank You So Much. This is exactly what I wanted to hear because I was getting confused. My 18 year old son & I will do some sight seeing, just not sure where, when or with who. But on a somewhat budget & time constraint, can't close down my business back home for too long or I'll have no customers when I get back. LOL You have all cleared up my questions 100%. Thanks Again!!!!!!:)

I don't know why people don't do it more often. SOU is a laid back one terminal airport and there is a taxi rank outside to get you to your hotel. If you can swing an extra day, stop off for the night in Dublin and show your son some historic sights and let him try some beer (legally) :).

I don't suppose the trans-Atlantic flight is Norwegian Airlines?

They're making a concerted effort to expand by under-cutting the opposition, and have started services between Dublin, Belfast, Edinburgh and (near) New York and (not-so-near) Boston. .

We used them London Gatwick to Malaga a few weeks ago, cheaper than Ryanair, Easyjet, etc..

Very basic, for instance no seat-back TV, no included drinks etc, though that was short-haul.

But very acceptable. Took off early both ways, arrived half-an-hour early outbound & 20 minutes early inbound.

My comments about Flybe on luggage etc also apply to Norwegian.

Not a problem, as long as you're aware.

I don't suppose the trans-Atlantic flight is Norwegian Airlines?

They're making a concerted effort to expand by under-cutting the opposition, and have started services between Dublin, Belfast, Edinburgh and (near) New York and (not-so-near) Boston. .

We used them London Gatwick to Malaga a few weeks ago, cheaper than Ryanair, Easyjet, etc..

Very basic, for instance no seat-back TV, no included drinks etc, though that was short-haul.

But very acceptable. Took off early both ways, arrived half-an-hour early outbound & 20 minutes early inbound.

My comments about Flybe on luggage etc also apply to Norwegian.

Not a problem, as long as you're aware.

No, actually they are prices I've found on my own searches for May of 2017, because May of 2018 are not out yet. I just wanted to get an idea of how they are running and what my possible options were. I have a year to plan, which is great.

No, actually they are prices I've found on my own searches for May of 2017, because May of 2018 are not out yet. I just wanted to get an idea of how they are running and what my possible options were.
It's good that you're looking for possible routing options. But don't assume that when you are able to book, you will find the same disparity in prices; in fact, don't even assume that you will then find it cheaper to fly to SOU than to one of the London airports. Anything could happen to prices. In addition, don't assume that the cheapest fares are available as soon as booking opens; air fares don't work like that.

One thing that the year to plan does give you is an opportunity to get a feel for the air fare markets that are viable options for you. You may get some idea of what the highs and lows are for your travel dates, whether and when there might be sales on, and what is a good price and what is not. Then when you see a good price that you like, you will be ready to book.

Thanks for all that info Globaliser, but as I never assume anything, I do however know the in's and outs of airfare games and have been flying all over for a long time, just never to the UK. I'm just fascinated on how many options I have found trying to flu from the US to the UK. Not so many flying from one part of the US to another. Doing a premature search opened many doors for me that I'm not so sure I would have found waiting another year. Tons and tons of info already and I still have 14 months to go. All of you UK CC'ers have been a great help. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...
No, actually they are prices I've found on my own searches for May of 2017, because May of 2018 are not out yet. I just wanted to get an idea of how they are running and what my possible options were. I have a year to plan, which is great.

Good job, I'm doing the same searches! I'm on the Jade - May 25, 2018 and we are also from VA. We are undecided which airport to fly into, but taking notes from this thread and others. But, if we fly into Heathrow, we'll probably pre cruise a few days in London (or stay near Heathrow and do 1 full day tour in London).

Love Cruise Critic; wouldn't travel without them!!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

Good job, I'm doing the same searches! I'm on the Jade - May 25, 2018 and we are also from VA. We are undecided which airport to fly into, but taking notes from this thread and others. But, if we fly into Heathrow, we'll probably pre cruise a few days in London (or stay near Heathrow and do 1 full day tour in London).

Love Cruise Critic; wouldn't travel without them!!

If you do decide to spend time in London. don't stay at a Heathrow hotel. You will waste far too much time travelling, whereas you could be right in the middle of things.

If you do decide to spend time in London. don't stay at a Heathrow hotel. You will waste far too much time travelling, whereas you could be right in the middle of things.

What's a good area without breaking the bank? Would be doing a all day tour of Tower of London, Westminster, Changing of Guards, etc.

• 3 months later...

We are from Mass and are going on the NCL cruise around Britain 5/4/18. We will fly into Heathrow (terminal 5) and go by National Express bus to Southampton. We are going a few days early so we can visit friends. There are taxis at the coach station that can take you to the cruise terminal . I haven't checked with NCL as to which terminal it is yet.

We are from Mass and are going on the NCL cruise around Britain 5/4/18. We will fly into Heathrow (terminal 5) and go by National Express bus to Southampton. We are going a few days early so we can visit friends. There are taxis at the coach station that can take you to the cruise terminal . I haven't checked with NCL as to which terminal it is yet.

Usually City Cruise Terminal for NCL.

About £6 by taxi.

Or you can walk it in about 15 minutes - level ground, only one major road crossing (traffic lights to help you), cut thro Holiday Inn parking lot to avoid a dogleg.

Thank you for the update . We are staying at the IBIS hotel May 3rd across from the bus station after our visit up north. We will have plenty of time so may walk to the City Cruise terminal. I was born and grew up in England but have never visited any of the places on the cruise.

Cautionary note! When I read your thread title, I took the date to be April 5th, not May 4th. When booking anything on this side of the pond, be careful when giving dates - it's dd/mm/yyyy, not mm/dd/yyyy as it is in the States