New Orleans - French Quarter hotel?

coinkc

Hi! We are cruising for the first time out of New Orleans. I would like to book a hotel in the French Quarter area for the Saturday night before we leave. I'm thinking we will want to visit Bourbon Street (3 adults including one who will have just turned 21) and a stop at Café Du Monde...(yes, we are very much tourists! :))

Can anybody familiar with the area give me some advice as to which chain hotels (Marriot, Hilton, etc) would be the best ones to book? I have looked into a bunch of the smaller hotels but they are pricey and some require two night minimum.

Any help/advice is much appreciated!

We stayed at the Hilton but it is just below the Quarter. It worked well for us. We were near the Seaport mall attached to the Hilton and we could trolley to the Quarter if we weren't up to walking there. Have a Hurricane at Pat O'Brians and take time to see the Marci Gras museum. Have a great trip and Happy Sails!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi! We are cruising for the first time out of New Orleans. I would like to book a hotel in the French Quarter area for the Saturday night before we leave. I'm thinking we will want to visit Bourbon Street (3 adults including one who will have just turned 21) and a stop at Café Du Monde...(yes, we are very much tourists! :))

Can anybody familiar with the area give me some advice as to which chain hotels (Marriot, Hilton, etc) would be the best ones to book? I have looked into a bunch of the smaller hotels but they are pricey and some require two night minimum.

Any help/advice is much appreciated!

If you want a chain hotel, then I would agree with the comments suggesting the Sheraton on Canal st. You're right across Canal street from the heart of the Quarter, including Bourbon street, and not too far from Cafe du Monde. There is also a Marriott and a JW Marriott, as well as a Ritz Carlton on Canal street or very nearby.

The Hilton at the riverfront will be closer to the Cafe du Monde, further from Bourbon St.

If you want a hotel in the Quarter be prepared to spend a lot more. Whatever you do, unless all you want to do is party, get as far away from Bourbon St. as you can.

I would recommend the Westin New Orleans Canal Place. It is at the intersection of the Canal Street streetcar lines(48 and 49) and the Riverfront line(2). It is a little higher priced, but the view from a riverview room is amazing.

Do check out Place d'Armes which in the French Quarter for about $130 per night.

(625 St. Ann telephone 844-462-8848)

We stayed there one time over New Year/Sugar Bowl. Very convenient location ... some rooms are nicer than others. Happily, we liked ours. :)

We've done the chains... Sheraton, Marriott, etc. I think our favorite stay was when we went small and local. We stayed at the Hotel Villa Convento. It is on the "far side" of the quarter on Ursulines. Close enough to everything to walk, but far enough away to be quiet. The cab ride to port was quick when needed.