Irmas coming! Now what??

cruisin deb

is anyone else concerned about the Disney Dream cruise leaving Friday, September 8th. We live in South Florida and don't know whether to cancel or try to get closer Thursday so we can take cruise if it should go out. We have the Disney cruise line insurance but I don't know how they handle hurricane cancellations and up to what time can you cancel. I've had people tell me they had to go if ship left port or lose their money with previous storms. We also have to figure their coming back to Port Canaveral Monday and what conditions may be in area by then. Please help if you've had any experience with this

The insurance will cover only what is insured. Unless you booked transportation through Disney, the Disney Cruise Line insurance won't cover a cancellation caused by inability to travel. It would cover a cancellation of the cruise, but in the unlikely event that Disney Cruise cancels the trip, you will get a refund directly from DCL without going through insurance.

My family was on a Dream cruise last October that did get cancelled because Port Canaveral was closed. In addition to a refund, we were given a 20% discount for any DCL cruise in the next year. That was a rare event, because the storm was expected to directly hit the port, so the previous cruise couldn't get back.

If the port is open and the ship can park after the previous cruise, Disney will almost certainly sail. You may get a different itinerary that includes different ports or no ports at all (that is, 2 sea days) if the storm is expected to hit the Bahamas. Hurricanes usually move slowly enough the ships can travel the opposite direction to avoid them, as a few Fantasy cruises have done in the past few weeks. It is also possible that the ship will depart a bit early or a bit late to help avoid the storm.

If you would be more comfortable heading to Port Canaveral a day early, by all means do so. Just look for messages from DCL or your travel agent about any changes to the departure time. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We're suppose to head out on the Fantasy on Saturday. Doesn't look like that's going to happen. Unless the ships currently out now make a U turn and come back to port I doubt they even make it back on time. And even if they do make it back - where the heck are the ships going to go? This storm in about to engulf most of Florida and the Bahamas. Not looking good!

I'm surprised Disney hasn't sent out any notice. I know they don't want to cancel anything, they don't want to issue refunds, but as someone who lives in Central Florida, I would advise folks to stay away. These storms are unpredictable & unless you've actually been through one of these I would advise against coming to Florida right now. Both my wife and I are already making plans to leave the state. I'll deal with Cat 1, 2 or 3 - but 4 & 5 is suicidal folks. And those of you who lived through Andrew know exactly what I'm talking about.

We're suppose to head out on the Fantasy on Saturday. Doesn't look like that's going to happen. Unless the ships currently out now make a U turn and come back to port I doubt they even make it back on time. And even if they do make it back - where the heck are the ships going to go? This storm in about to engulf most of Florida and the Bahamas. Not looking good!

I'm surprised Disney hasn't sent out any notice. I know they don't want to cancel anything, they don't want to issue refunds, but as someone who lives in Central Florida, I would advise folks to stay away. These storms are unpredictable & unless you've actually been through one of these I would advise against coming to Florida right now. Both my wife and I are already making plans to leave the state. I'll deal with Cat 1, 2 or 3 - but 4 & 5 is suicidal folks. And those of you who lived through Andrew know exactly what I'm talking about.

Typically DCL has waited until the very last minute to send out change/cancellation notices. As it's only Monday, I don't think anyone departing next Saturday has received any notices.

Typically DCL has waited until the very last minute to send out change/cancellation notices. As it's only Monday, I don't think anyone departing next Saturday has received any notices.

Nope we haven't received anything from Disney. Kennel has already called. If Irma's track holds we have knowhere to put the dog.

The new GFS model for Irma out at 6pm was ugly. Unless Disney decides to change the itinerary for Bermuda, I doubt this cruise sails.

We were booked on one cruise that was supposed to go out of PC on Saturday. Instead, it went out of Ft. Lauderdale and didn't sail till Tuesday (they started boarding late Monday evening. DCL was horrible with notifications--as of Friday morning, they were still saying we'd leave on Saturday while the TV stations all said PC was closing at noon on Friday and DCL brought the Magic back in on Friday morning to disembark those guests! The ship then went out to sea empty (crew only) to a safe location. About 4pm on Friday, we were contacted and given the option of a full refund if we canceled or a 40% discount + transportation from WDW or MCO to Ft. Lauderdale at no charge if we chose to cruise. Since we were already enjoying WDW, we took the cruise.

The bottom line--you'll know what will happen when DCL gets ready to tell you. Usually that isn't a lot of notice. If they re-schedule the cruise or depart from a different port, they have historically given you the option to cancel and get a full refund. If the cruise departs from the scheduled port on the scheduled day, the history is no refunds if you opt to cancel--your insurance may or may not cover based on the terms of your policy.

We did another hurricane cruise where PC stayed open. We went to an alternative port while the captain waited out things for a day to see what the storm was going to do and picked up as much of our schedule as possible. Obviously, no refunds for this, not would I expect any. The cruise staff hustled like crazy to come up with excursions at a port that was new to DCL and refund were given for all those at the scheduled port.

At this point, DCL is still in "wait and see" mode. They'll notify you when they make a decision.

We were on the "lucky" Disney Dream cruise that was completely, 100% impacted by the path of Hurricane Matthew last October - that is, everywhere our ship was supposed to be on each of the 4 days, the Hurricane was slated to also "greet" us there. I still feel bad for those who were supposed to sail just after us as their trip was completely canceled. We ended up getting two extra days tacked onto our cruise and the Disney Dream went to Mexico for its first time (!) and DCL went to Costa Maya for the first time (I believe).

I'm posting to mainly tell you from recent experience that DCL notified us the day before our sailing of the itinerary change. We could tell we'd be impacted a week out just as in this current situation. We were literally half-way to Florida in our car and we received notice - so, don't expect to know anything until the last minute as others have noted up-thread. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing - weather patterns change dramatically during these events and DCL is running a complex operation. Here's what I can tell you that I believe firmly (and based on our recent hurricane-sailing experience from last October):

1. DCL will keep you safe. They cater to families - at the very least, they're not going to risk damaging their billion dollar vessels! (You could argue then, that these ships would be the SAFEST place to be during a hurricane in light of that logic).

2. DCL will TAKE CARE of you, one way or another way, or another way. When we finally docked in Port Canavaral - 36 hours late, with the Port closed, a state of emergency declared, and gas stations, restaurants, etc. closed for miles, they invited us back on the ship for an additional night, fed us another whole dinner service (with no dropoff in that Disney touch), and then, since they were out of production shows, cobbled together a cast-created talent show in place of the normal performance. They even still had character meet and greets, the kids club, you name it! Just incredible!

I know it's scary to not know what's going to happen, but know that everything will work out as far as your cruise goes... who knows, maybe you'll sail the Dream to Bermuda!

I wish you the best!

Here's what DCL announced on September 30th (for an October 3rd sailing):

36846282176_d980e6b408_b.jpgDisney Dream October 2016 3345 by davidmbfonz, on Flickr

Here's what the radar and storm path looked like on October 2nd (two days later):

36226835483_1b4b9c3279_b.jpgDisney Dream October 2016 1503 by davidmbfonz, on Flickr

Here's what DCL sent us on October 2nd at 10 am (24 hours before embarkation):

36846282076_a474d33a9e_b.jpgDisney Dream October 2016 1518 by davidmbfonz, on Flickr

Imagine being on a ship with this image on the TV monitor! (we were in Cozumel at this point, when we should have already been back in Port Canaveral!)

36846282336_20f30cf94e_k.jpgDisney Dream October 2016 1890 by davidmbfonz, on Flickr

Friday night, back onboard in Port Canaveral - Have you ever seen Enchanted Garden this empty?:

36226835233_16a5a13738_k.jpgDisney Dream October 2016 2166 by davidmbfonz, on Flickr

On our way home the next afternoon on I-95 - convoy after convoy of utility trucks...sobering!

36846282466_9c4364b991_k.jpgDisney Dream October 2016 2182 by davidmbfonz, on Flickr

Based on the current trajectory, right now I would expect Disney to depart on time Friday as the storm is not predicted into FL until Sunday. That said, given the track, the most likely itinerary right now would be a quick stop in Bermuda to satisfy the PVSA if a dock will be available, then return on Monday?

The exception might be if they have concerns about returning to port, then I could see them cancelling, but I still think scenario 1 is more likely at this time, but I would pack for an extra day or two onboard if needed.

The exception might be if they have concerns about returning to port, then I could see them cancelling...
I don't recall a case when a major, mass-market cruise line canceled a cruise solely due to concerns about whether they could return to port on the debarkation date.

Based on the current trajectory, right now I would expect Disney to depart on time Friday as the storm is not predicted into FL until Sunday. That said, given the track, the most likely itinerary right now would be a quick stop in Bermuda to satisfy the PVSA if a dock will be available, then return on Monday?

The exception might be if they have concerns about returning to port, then I could see them cancelling, but I still think scenario 1 is more likely at this time, but I would pack for an extra day or two onboard if needed.

Passenger safety comes before PVSA, so if the storm is blocking or damaged ports, the ship does not have to dock anywhere. Which is why I am thinking it might be a cruise to no where. Honestly, If the Dream permanently stopped docking at Nassau, I would be happier. And based on our last 4 day cruise, a lot of the passengers are not getting off anyways.

I suspect the ship will sail and if there are issues returning for debarkation at Port Canaveral, then the ship will dock at Ft. Lauderdale and passangers will be bused up to PC or MCO.

I don't recall a case when a major, mass-market cruise line canceled a cruise solely due to concerns about whether they could return to port on the debarkation date.

Correct--I've seen them come into an alternate port when they couldn't use their home port...and assist passengers with air reservations, bus transportation to the originally scheduled airport, etc. And the ships can be excused from PVSA regulations due to a storm. I'm also aware of at least one DCL "cruise to nowhere" in which they were unable to dock at any port. While I would have considered that lovely, guests did get a full refund! As above, I'd pack for 2-3 extra days and plan on a great cruise, whatever happens!

Correct--I've seen them come into an alternate port when they couldn't use their home port...and assist passengers with air reservations' date=' bus transportation to the originally scheduled airport, etc. And the ships can be excused from PVSA regulations due to a storm. I'm also aware of at least one DCL "cruise to nowhere" in which they were unable to dock at any port. While I would have considered that lovely, guests did get a full refund! As above, I'd pack for 2-3 extra days and plan on a great cruise, whatever happens![/quote']

Humm, I wounder if i can get a room on the Dream for the sailing on Friday....Might be a good way to get a bonus cruise. :confused:

Does Disney really want to try and outrun a 500 mile wide Cat 5 that can turn on a dime? Come on Disney, Harvey was a little toy compared to this storm. Don't make people come to Florida. Mandatory evacs are about to clog this whole state.

By the way folks, you might want to say a prayer for St Maarten and BVI. Those poor folks are about to get leveled tonight. They're looking at 180 mph winds - sustained. :loudcry:

Does Disney really want to try and outrun a 500 mile wide Cat 5 that can turn on a dime? Come on Disney, Harvey was a little toy compared to this storm. Don't make people come to Florida. Mandatory evacs are about to clog this whole state.

By the way folks, you might want to say a prayer for St Maarten and BVI. Those poor folks are about to get leveled tonight. They're looking at 180 mph winds - sustained. :loudcry:

The ship needs to be out at sea anyways to survive the Hurricane anyways. Hurricanes move relatively slow, most modern cruise ships and out run hurricanes. Currently Irma is averaging about 12 knots, the Dream has pulled a sustained 22 knots during normal cruises. I think the Fantasy has done 23 or 24 knots during sailings before. So, Yes, DCL will out run a Cat5.

I suspect DCL will max out the fuel tanks and food supplies, planing for a worst case scenario of docking in Cozumel, Mexico (just like during Mathew) by taking the long way outside the Bahamas and cutting thru between Cuba and Haiti.

I suspect DCL will max out the fuel tanks and food supplies, planing for a worst case scenario of docking in Cozumel, Mexico (just like during Mathew) by taking the long way outside the Bahamas and cutting thru between Cuba and Haiti.

For those affected, you might not have had time to do research on Cozumel, but we've been to Mr. Sanchos now twice in the last two years and can tell you it is a well-run operation... and you only have to put down $5 I believe (via Paypal even) to reserve a spot... just trying to save people the research time during a hectic week of changed plans...

The ship needs to be out at sea anyways to survive the Hurricane anyways. Hurricanes move relatively slow, most modern cruise ships and out run hurricanes. Currently Irma is averaging about 12 knots, the Dream has pulled a sustained 22 knots during normal cruises. I think the Fantasy has done 23 or 24 knots during sailings before. So, Yes, DCL will out run a Cat5.

Fantasy leaves Saturday night. Mandatory evacs are already in effect for key West and portions of Miami. Millions of people are about to evac the whole state. And there's only one way out - North. Schools have already been cancelled for Thrs and Fri. NHC has Central Florida being pounded Saturday afternoon if track holds.

Disney needs to make a decision ASAP. Because those of us who are Florida residents and are booked on that cruise are about to bolt the state. This is a serious storm, and trying to ride a Cat5 is suicide.

Kennels no longer taking pets, family members that need evac help, and a whole state on alert & Disney is acting as though everything is normal. Very disappointed. Not even an e-mail.

ugh watching this so closely. we are supposed to be driving down from Ohio to take the Dream on Monday the 11th. Sure doesn't look good. Yikes!

Don't do it! National guard is going to push ALL traffic North. Evacs start tomorrow. Most counties will be sealed once the storm comes through. I don't know what the heck Disney is thinking right now.

I live on the Space Coast and we're suppose to leave on the 9th. Even if Disney decides to go out, we're skipping.

ugh watching this so closely. we are supposed to be driving down from Ohio to take the Dream on Monday the 11th. Sure doesn't look good. Yikes!

I am not certain if your sailing will happen. It looks like she will be near central Florida on Monday. If this was near the 27th, when the Magic sails out of NYC, then embarking from NYC could have been a possibility.