Memory lane...the digital version

pierces

I was reorganizing older files and came across a lot of stuff unseen for years. I hadn't realized it has been 16 years since I shot film and 15 since I went digital.

From 2001 - 3MP image from my Kodak DC4800:

p1980607624-5.jpg

A couple from a 2002 Hawaii cruise DC4800:

p1901124390-5.jpg

p2000017831-5.jpg

First granddaughter, Hailee, from 2002 with my trusty old 2MP (!) Minolta Dimage X - my first "pocket" camera:

p2146773703-5.jpg

This is Hailee now:

p1953237855-2.jpg

Finally, a digital copy of a slide from 1978. Minolta SRT-102 Rokkor-X 50mm f/1.4 - My dad was very impressed with the "new" tech! His last 35mm camera was a Leica IIIc! Dust removed, converted to B&W and slight vignetting added.

p2145691653-5.jpg

Got any old digital images? Post them and let's ponder the changes cameras have gone through in a decade!

Dave

Edited by pierces

Seems like most of those pics have nothing to do w ships or cruising. You might try posting them on one of the many photo boards on the WEB.

I do have to say that they ae excellent shots however.

DON

Seems like most of those pics have nothing to do w ships or cruising. You might try posting them on one of the many photo boards on the WEB.

I do have to say that they ae excellent shots however.

DON

If I have offended you in any way by only posting two cruise pictures out of the six, please forgive my faux pas.

To top it off, none of them were shot with a Canon or a Nikon...;)

Dave

please forgive my faux pas.

Dave

Without going to war on this matter, lots of bird shots and other matter (cats, dogs, birthday stuffs, helicopters etc etc) also appear on these Cruise Critic blog.

But I liked them all - well mostly all - and might have missed them if there were elsewhere.

Without going to war on this matter, lots of bird shots and other matter (cats, dogs, birthday stuffs, helicopters etc etc) also appear on these Cruise Critic blog.

But I liked them all - well mostly all - and might have missed them if there were elsewhere.

I'm pretty sure Don was jesting, Tom. This forum has been more about photography and photo tech than cruising since before I arrived early in the last decade.

Dave

Dave, as they are relatively old photos, were they all digital photos or have any been scanned? If so I'm impressed and enquire of your process?

Dave great pictures looks like you had just taken them. To process old pictures, as great as you have done, to me would be nice to leave to my children.

Also this forum includes all pictures, not just cruise pictures and Dave is one of the most helpful and informative people on this forum over the years and continues.

THANK DAVE

Tom :cool:

The title of this thread is Photo and Camera Discussions. I enjoy the variety of photos. I have learned a lot from this thread, more than from any other source. Thank you Dave, for so many things. Thank you, Justin, for leading me to Green Cay, a wonderful stop on the way to the port. Thanks to a few others whose positive contributions have been very helpful and ideas that can be used in a variety of situations.

Dave, as they are relatively old photos, were they all digital photos or have any been scanned? If so I'm impressed and enquire of your process?

All except the last we're shot on early digital cameras (models and megapixels mentioned in the text). The final image of my father was not originally digital. I captured it from a slide using an Optika slide adapter directly onto a 12 Megapixel DSLR and converted it to B&W.

Dave

I'm pretty sure Don was jesting, Tom. This forum has been more about photography and photo tech than cruising since before I arrived early in the last decade.

Dave

I was although it is true that this is a cruise site and not a photo site. Do we want CC to become littered with pictures of pets, pictures of your kids, still life pictures of flowers, etc? I don't. There are lots of sites available for that sort of stuff. Also note that I did say that they were excellent photographs.

DON

I was although it is true that this is a cruise site and not a photo site. Do we want CC to become littered with pictures of pets, pictures of your kids, still life pictures of flowers, etc? I don't. There are lots of sites available for that sort of stuff. Also note that I did say that they were excellent photographs.

DON

I did notice, Don and I appreciate it.

Since the early '00s this section has been more about photography and tech than pure cruising. It has been a place for photo technique and equipment questions and has served as such for a lot of folks from the main cruise boards who never heard of dpreview or came here seeking help instead of the brand-shaming and condescension that is all too common on "enthusiast" sites. Examples posted here sometimes stray from cruise subjects since it isn't always possible to find a relevant shot from a cruise. The picture-a-week series was started to encourage folks to get out and use their cameras more and hone their skills. Needless to say, limiting that to cruise-only shots would seriously hamper participation from all but a lucky few.

Photos from particular sailings are always in roll calls and there are the photo galleries for general cruising shots. This has always been a place where people are welcome to post or ask anything without fear of ridicule.

Dave

This was taken by my dad about 50 years ago. It was taken with his 35mm stereo-optic camera.

Vic

As some of the other shots were taken in Hawaii, I'm guessing that the yacht harbor scenes were taken from the Ilikai Hotel.

It is nice to have a corner of cruise critic devoted to photography and to have people like Dave who are willing to share their knowledge and experience. Whether they are cruise images or not we can all learn a lot from seeing these and beginning to understand a bit of the history of photography in the past 50 years. When I started in the late '60s as a college student it was all B&W film and wonderful chemical fumes. With a 46 year career making pictures I got to witness a ton of history and the evolution of from that B&W film to color films to crude digital work to what we have today. It is pretty amazing and it takes a lot of studying and exploring to really understand it all today and to make it work for us. Thanks for all you share Dave and others too. If I can finally figure out how to post pictures I will share some someday...for now I am gearing up for Alaska in a few weeks, then Spain/Portugal in the fall...and some time with my new favorite subject, my granddaughter who turns two in August.

Thanks for all you share Dave and others too.

Chiming in - Thanks Dave, Justin, Tom1 - for sharing your knowledge and experiences.

Now, I recall some photos shots taken with my old Minota DiMage7i somewhere ...

Tom-2

I was reorganizing older files and came across a lot of stuff unseen for years. I hadn't realized it has been 16 years since I shot film and 15 since I went digital.

First granddaughter, Hailee, from 2002 with my trusty old 2MP (!) Minolta Dimage X - my first "pocket" camera:

Got any old digital images? Post them and let's ponder the changes cameras have gone through in a decade!

Dave

Minolta Dimage X was a trusty friend to me as well from 2002 until late 2011 :D I loved its 'pocketability" and it accompanied me on numerous cruises taking in quite a few areas of the globe.

A couple of the very first shots taken in Singapore (where I'd just bought the camera)

PICT0036.JPG

PICT0017.JPG

PICT0021.JPG