Montreal to quebec city

We did this last October.....found the air fares very steep, and the train and bus fares better, but our final solution was to rent a car from Hertz.

They had a very reasonable one way rental that was about equal to two bus tickets. We got the car at Dorval airport, enjoyed a leisurely three hour drive along the north shore of the St. Lawrence, dropped our bags at the ship, then dropped the car at their downtown location, and walked back to the ship. So we saved on the taxi fare we would have paid from Dorval to the Montreal train or bus station as well as the taxi we might have needed in Quebec City with our bags, otherwise the train/bus station in Quebec City is walkable to the cruise port...

Is there a reason you are going to Montreal??

You could just fly to Quebec City (YQB)

Drive ..not recommended ..but you are from Georgia so maybe OK

Fly

Take the train ...VIA Rail

Why not recommended? It's a relatively boring but pretty easy drive, and would probably be the cheapest option. The most complicated part is deciding whether to take Highway 40 or 20.

The train station is actually much more convenient to the port in QC than the airport, so that is a good option.

There's actually a direct bus from YUL to the QC bus station (adjacent to the train station).

Try Porter air we used them Toronto to Quebec City last fall for a cruise.

Bus and train are options as well.

I'm a great fan of Porter, but in this case there is no service between Montréal and Québec.

My preference would be Via Rail, but if you can find a good one-way car rental that would certainly work well.

Why not recommended? It's a relatively boring but pretty easy drive, and would probably be the cheapest option. The most complicated part is deciding whether to take Highway 40 or 20.

You are probably use to driving in Quebec where others are not

Quebec drivers are ruthless but then again so are Georgia drivers :D

Personally I would take the train

You are probably use to driving in Quebec where others are not

Quebec drivers are ruthless but then again so are Georgia drivers :D

Personally I would take the train

You only say that 'cause you're from Tronna. Drivers are now the same the world over; even Vancouver

Fly

I can answer that....the air fare from most places to Montreal is a lot cheaper than to Quebec City. At least it was in my case.

And we really enjoyed our drive along Route 40 on the North Shore. We stopped for a snack halfway at Trois Rivieres. Saw a bit of fall foliage and some glimpses of the river along the way.

You only say that 'cause you're from Tronna. Drivers are now the same the world over; even Vancouver

That is true :D

We moved outside of TRONNA to get away from them but I think they found us;)

I still think the train would be nice

• 2 weeks later...

Fly

We're looking at this option, too. From our home airport going to Quebec involves two flights each an hour and a half plus layover time. We can get a direct flight to Montreal that takes an hour and a half. To us it's a no-brainer. We don't mind driving, but I'll also look into the train.

We're looking at this option, too. From our home airport going to Quebec involves two flights each an hour and a half plus layover time. We can get a direct flight to Montreal that takes an hour and a half. To us it's a no-brainer. We don't mind driving, but I'll also look into the train.

:confused:

I am confused but it is not the first time :D

Option 1

Fly to YQB with a connection total time 5hrs approx (using 2 hr layover)

option 2

Fly to YUL rent a car & drive.... total time approx 5 hrs depending on traffic

You have to choose what works best for you

Edited by LHT28

:confused:

I am confused but it is not the first time :D

Option 1

Fly to YQB with a connection total time 5hrs approx (using 2 hr layover)

option 2

Fly to YUL rent a car & drive.... total time approx 5 hrs depending on traffic

You have to choose what works best for you

Why spend nearly three hours in the air on two different very small planes plus layover time when we can take one quick flight and enjoy both Montreal and Quebec city?

Why spend nearly three hours in the air on two different very small planes plus layover time when we can take one quick flight and enjoy both Montreal and Quebec city?

You need to do what works best for you

I am the type of person that just wants to get there ;)

As you said, we must choose what is right for us.

We'd rather get to Montreal and know that there won't be a delayed/missed connection, and getting on the road feels like we're getting there as fast as possible.

By the way, the best connection we could find had a layover of over 4 hours in Toronto, and all of the possible flights got us to Quebec after dark. Since we're renting a car for two days pre-cruise we didn't want to be driving around in the dark looking for our hotel.

It's good that we have so many options available!

As you said, we must choose what is right for us.

We'd rather get to Montreal and know that there won't be a delayed/missed connection, and getting on the road feels like we're getting there as fast as possible.

By the way, the best connection we could find had a layover of over 4 hours in Toronto, and all of the possible flights got us to Quebec after dark. Since we're renting a car for two days pre-cruise we didn't want to be driving around in the dark looking for our hotel.

It's good that we have so many options available!

Faced with spending 4 hours at Pearson, yeah, I'd be driving too.

One thing that I will warn you about is that there is major roadworks going on right at the entrance/exit to YUL. Patience and a good map will be your best friends.

One thing that I will warn you about is that there is major roadworks going on right at the entrance/exit to YUL. Patience and a good map will be your best friends.

We're not going until October; will the construction be done by then?

We're not going until October; will the construction be done by then?

Oh, naive one... :D

Just googled it for fun. The Dorval Interchange project began in 2008. It is projected to end in 2017.

Getting out should be fine. It's when you want to do something fancy, like go to one of the hotels in the immediate vicinity, that it gets complicated.

Taking train tomorrow from QC to M so I will post tomorrow afternoon/evening & let you know about the train ride.

We just got off Veendam today and are staying at Hotel 71 in lower QC just a couple blocks from terminal -- such a gorgeous city, very nice hotel staff, bellman walked over to ship with cart to bring our luggage to hotel -- am sure they would help you do the reverse. Would strongly recommend 1 or 2 nts in QC!!! (Our ship was docked here overnight last night and the view from our balcony over lower QC to Chateau Frontenac was fabulous!)

Let me tell you this is the truth. I have been to YUL very infrequently over the past 35 plus years. The most recent was after dark this past April and wow, the above comment is to be listened to. By gosh and by darn I did find my way but nothing looked familiar. The drive on Hwy 20 to the exit for YUL was not a problem but once in the construction zone it was very confusing requiring quick decisions and a short unintended detour.