Which train trip?

mcgratru

Looking for some advice. Planning Whitepass Rail trip for a few train buffs.

Should we do the three hour round trip or go all the way to Carcross and take a bus back?

Advice?

I am leaning toward roundtrip as I hate buses but the priority is train experience and scenery.

With train buffs, I would think they would like as much train time as possible - so I would recommend the Bennett Scenic tour - this tour rides the train all the way to Carcross with a van trip to Emerald Lake and then back to Skagway (some days it runs reverse and two days of the week it does not run at all - see the Chilkoot or WY&Y RR websites for more details.

BTW this tour sells a special hat (once you get into the Yukon) that says Carcross on the back strap and 68.7 on the bill - these hats are only available on this train or at the Carcross station.

Some thoughts....

• bring the passport and go at least to Fraser to see Tormented valley
  • I prefer a vehicle combo tour to see the Klondike highway and rail back to see the White Pass. You look at the same canyon, but on different sides for different perspectives
  • love going all the way to the Yukon, otherwise combo tour with Liarsville heritage
  • remember to sit on the right going down to see the narrow White Pass trail below your window. You have an rock face against your window most of the way down on the left. When going up... sit on the left side.

Edited by xlxo

For a true "railfan", more is what it is about, and the Lake Train fits that priority. :) I have done both routes multiple times, including both last year.

If you have a southbound Lake Bennett schedule, Dyea Dave is also an option for the road trip. It is well worth the scenic views that are spectacular. :)

You may want to take a look at a road guide and read about what you would be seeing, to give more information on a drive.

IF you ONLY are willing to do a train, certainly the round trip is a great option.

I would suggest splitting up depending on interests. Neither of these tours are recommended, for anyone, who isn't interested. Those are where you get the "boring", "too long", "too costly" comments from.

If you REALLY love trains, go by steam. We did it and it was unforgettable. You also find yourself part of the show, with passengers on other trains excited to see you go by. It goes only to the meadows, but watching the train pull into the loop and stop to take on water was a highlight.

To see scenery, go one way by train and back by the highway. Don't forget, the only way to really see the railroad is across the valley from the highway. When you're on the train, you don't get to see all the majesty of the White Pass.

If you REALLY love trains, go by steam. We did it and it was unforgettable. You also find yourself part of the show, with passengers on other trains excited to see you go by. It goes only to the meadows, but watching the train pull into the loop and stop to take on water was a highlight.

To see scenery, go one way by train and back by the highway. Don't forget, the only way to really see the railroad is across the valley from the highway. When you're on the train, you don't get to see all the majesty of the White Pass.

I agree with this, plus you get the majority of the scenery by the loop anyway.

What rail buff wouldn't like this:

16494700596_54298c4b68_b.jpg[/url]

I originally wanted to do the steam train, but the combo train/glacier hike looks amazing.

My son has done this tour. The glacier is a long way off, and you have little time at the glacier. Also the trekking there is not on "nice" paths etc. You'll be going over rocks with some incline. You also have a shortened train trip. Reading reviews, and taking a look at a map offers more information.

Yeah i read the reviews, they were pretty good. i don't mind having a rocky path. Did your son enjoy it?

Not really. :)

He went with Above and Beyond several years ago, which, just asking him, claims it was far superior. Wouldn't repeat Loughton Glacier but would Mendenhall.

Well as a train buff I would have to agree that Steam trumps either of the other train options. However the Steam train does not run every day - neither does the Bennett Scenic tour So for the steam train you need to be in port

Steam Schedule

• Available: May 22 - September 14, 2015
  • Tour Duration: 4 Hours
  • Departure Times: Thursdays & Fridays at 12:00 PM
  • Monday departure times vary:
    • 8:00 AM Departure: May 25; June 8, 22; July 6, 27; August 10, 24; September 7
    • 12:00 PM Departure: June 1, 15, 29; July 20; August 3, 17, 31; September 14

[*]EXCEPTIONS TO SCHEDULE: No Steam Service on Monday, July 13 & Thursday, September 10

Bennett Scenic Tour Schedule

• Available Dates: May 26 - September 5, 2015
  • Tour Duration: 8 Hours
  • Departure Days & Times:
    7:30 AM Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, & Friday
    8:30 AM Saturday
  • On Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, & Friday, the tour operates train leg first with bus leg second. On Saturday, the tour operates bus leg first with train leg second

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great choice - don't forget to wait until after Bennett to purchase your Carcross Hat - it is only available after you leave BC. Prior to that they sell the Skagway hat - which is the one that 90% of the people buy.