RC Majesty or Carnival Victory out of Port Canaveral

funnyfarm9988

First Cruise.......Majesty vs. Carnival Victory? We want to do this short cruise first and then after that go to Alaska cruise. I feel there is more on Victory that would appeal my daughter and her boyfriend. Since this will be all of out first cruise, just wanted something cheaper and short.

Also, are all food included in the price. I have heard nightmares when people checked out and owed over 2000.00, is there a way to budget for this? Can you take your own water and colas in the your luggage? What about cell phone usage.

Sorry, I am having first time cruise jitters.

First Cruise.......Majesty vs. Carnival Victory? We want to do this short cruise first and then after that go to Alaska cruise. I feel there is more on Victory that would appeal my daughter and her boyfriend. Since this will be all of out first cruise, just wanted something cheaper and short.

Also, are all food included in the price. I have heard nightmares when people checked out and owed over 2000.00, is there a way to budget for this? Can you take your own water and colas in the your luggage? What about cell phone usage.

Sorry, I am having first time cruise jitters.

I have been on both.

Victory rooms are larger. I thought Carnival food was better and much more availability. Majesty had better buffet layout and their deli is a separate free restaurant. Carnival has a deli but it is a window in the buffet that can have long lines.

Victory has an adults area (serenity deck). Majesty does not.

Victory has a waterslide. Majesty does not.

Victory has an aft pool with a sliding dome cover for bad weather, Majesty only has the central pool deck area.

Majesty has the beautiful Viking Crown lounge which is one of my favorite areas on an RCI ship.

RCI tends to keep their ships looking a bit more "ship shape" and majesty will get a dry dock spruce up before heading to PC as well. I thought interior spaces and bars were much more classy on Majesty than on Victory.

If you want a better room and food, with more pool options I say Victory. If you want a nicer ship I say Majesty.

Majesty has the better itinerary because it includes CocoCay. Victory has Freeport which, in my opinion, is a dump.

Both ships all food is included; neither has any specialty restaurants, though the dining rooms will offer some upcharge items like lobster or filet steak if you want. Plenty of complimentary beverages on both.

I got off the Victory with a Negative $3 bill at the end. I got off Majesty owing $0.

You can bring soda on carnival. you can not bring water on Carnival, but they sell 12 packs that are delivered to your room for onl $2.99. You can not bring soda or water on Royal caribbean. You can bring a bottle of 750 ml wine per person on carnival. you can bring 2 750ml bottles of wine per stateroom (no matter how many people are in there ) on Royal.

Edited by LMaxwell

Which would you recommend if you have 2 18 year olds that just graduated from high school. Are there enough things on Majesty for them to keep entertained?

Majesty has more audience participation shows such as Battle of the Sexes and Quest (adults only). Victory does have an outdoor movie screen that majesty doesn't have. Both ships will have a production show (song and dance type) that may or may not appeal. I think young adults can find stuff to do on either ship.

Victory does have an outdoor movie screen that majesty doesn't have.

Majesty is getting an outdoor screen during refurbishment before going to PC.

This is a tough call. Victory is the bigger, newer ship, but she's also the uglier ship. Majesty has a much more elegant look and feel to her, but the staterooms are tiny. Victory's staterooms are nothing to brag about, especially due to their hideous pink color, but they do have a little more elbow room and slightly large bathrooms.

I normally recommend RCI over Carnival but in your case, and given these 2 particular ships, I think Victory has the slight edge.

Majesty is getting an outdoor screen during refurbishment before going to PC.

A lot of the planned upgrades for Majesty were cancelled. I thought the outdoor screen wasn't going to be done? I know they are not doing any of the specialty restaurants or Dreamworks experience.

A lot of the planned upgrades for Majesty were cancelled. I thought the outdoor screen wasn't going to be done? I know they are not doing any of the specialty restaurants or Dreamworks experience.

They canceled plans to add waterslides, Dreamworks and specialty restaurants. They are still adding the outdoor screen, a kids waterpark and high speed internet.

Thanks OP for posting this question as I've been conducting a similar comparison. Looking for a short, reasonably-priced late summer getaway requiring minimal vacation days from work, and I looked at Victory and Majesty from PC, along with Fantasy from Miami. Depending on how I priced things out, we (DH and I) could get a balcony on Victory for less $ than a Superior OV on Majesty for the same weekend. Not necessarily a surprise though, since I've generally found Carnival's short cruise fares to be lower than Royal's during my recent searches.

Actually, looking at multiple Victory itineraries, that ship is frequently so much lower-priced than comparable sailings, even compared to other Carnival ships. I wonder why? Is it because Victory doesn't have all of the 2.0 upgrades?

I've also seen some mixed reviews about cabin cleanliness and maintenance on Victory. Yes, there are good and bad reviews for every ship and everyone's expectations and perceptions are different, but I wonder if Victory's need for some TLC is reflected in her price?

Edited by undercat

Have you looked at RCI's Enchantment of the Seas for a short cruise? There is a lot more to do. I have been on the Majesty and love it for relaxing, quick getaways to recharge but there is not a whole lot to do. If it is only a choice between those two ships, my vote is Victory.

You should not be surprised with an unexpected bill at the end, you have to sign for everything that is not included in your cruise fare, you can check your account daily. Cell phones work in ports, just be aware what your plan covers. Most of the time right after sailaway I put my phone on airplane mode so I am not surprised with roaming charges. The only other piece of advice is if you plan on using your credit or debit card, let them know you will be using your card out of the country. Whatever you choose, have a great first cruise.

Edited by dacsmom

Thanks OP for posting this question as I've been conducting a similar comparison. Looking for a short, reasonably-priced late summer getaway requiring minimal vacation days from work, and I looked at Victory and Majesty from PC, along with Fantasy from Miami.

If you're willing to go out of Miami and drink a fair amount, the Norwegian Sky does 3 and 4 night with the drink package included in the fare (everyone on the ship gets it), but I'm not sure what that has done to the pricing. If you don't drink, I'm sure it wouldn't be worth it.

If you're willing to go out of Miami and drink a fair amount, the Norwegian Sky does 3 and 4 night with the drink package included in the fare (everyone on the ship gets it), but I'm not sure what that has done to the pricing. If you don't drink, I'm sure it wouldn't be worth it.

Neither DH nor I drink, so I'd rather have a lower fare than an inclusion we won't use :cool:

I'd like to try one of NCL's newer ships one of these days, and Royal too. We're new enough to cruising that we don't have any substantial status built up with any one line. We'd love to sail Princess again, but my schedule doesn't always line up with theirs.

I am not sure when you are looking, but RCCL's Independence of the Seas does 4 and 5 day cruises from Ft Lauderdale. That is an awesome ship. However, if it is a choice between these two (Majesty and Victory) I would pick Victory. This is a rare time I would pick a CCL ship over a RCCL. Mainly for all the reasons stated. The rooms on majesty are very small. I have been on both ships. I did like the 4 day Majesty itinerary much better though.

No, sorry! No Guy's on the Victory. It only got partial 2.0 in dry dock last year, and got the Alchemy bar and the sports bar. But no Guys. I sailed on her last October.

I have not been on Majesty but looks like a nice ship. Victory is fine for a short cruise though. I enjoyed my cruise.

Edited by SMSACE6