LGA vs Atlana connection.

UpstateCruizer

We'll be flying Delta for our next cruise and while we have sworn off any connections at JFK we have never connected at LGA. How does LGA compare to connecting in ATL? While ATL is a zoo at times we've never really minded it. Which would you prefer to connect through and why? Thanks!

I guess it really depends. What time of year? Would that be the only change, or would connecting at one place over another result in an extra connection? Is price close? What type of aircraft is it - is one more comfortable than the other? Does one take you significantly out of the way?

All things being equal, I would choose ATL for one big reason - if something were to happen and you missed your connection, there are likely more flights to get on out of ATL than out of LGA, as ATL is DL's biggest hub.

I would choose ATL for a different reason than Zach. Flights into/out of LGA are notoriously delayed. Unless you have a 2-3 hour (minimum) connection time I would not even consider it. Every time I fly into/out of LGA/EWR and to a lesser extent JFK I have delays due to Air Traffic Control.

I like ATL. It is big, easy to get around, and like others have said, not affected by weather like LGA. The chances of snow and ice are greatly reduced in ATL. Plus, if you fly Delta, it is their hub.

In the last year, DL has greatly increased their presence and schedules at LGA - a result of slot swaps with US Airways. IIRC, DL is now the primary carrier at LGA.

Of course, we still don't know where the OP is coming from, or going.

I like ATL. It is big, easy to get around, and like others have said, not affected by weather like LGA. The chances of snow and ice are greatly reduced in ATL. Plus, if you fly Delta, it is their hub.

Of course, you do realize (don't you?) that every plane that lands at ATL comes from SOMEWHERE ELSE that MAY be affected by weather. Yes, the chance of snow actually falling AT ATL may be less, but they do get some horrendous ice storms, and again... bad weather anywhere can affect flights all over the country.

Since the OP makes NO mention of the cities/routes involved, it is impossible to evaluate which has more/better options if there are issues on segment 1.

But the correct answer is always ATL, because if you allow a long enough layover, you can have a lovely meal at One Flew South. :D

Of course, you do realize (don't you?) that every plane that lands at ATL comes from SOMEWHERE ELSE that MAY be affected by weather. Yes, the chance of snow actually falling AT ATL may be less, but they do get some horrendous ice storms, and again... bad weather anywhere can affect flights all over the country.

Of course, you do realize (don't you?) that every plane out of LGA will be grounded in the event of the airport being shut down due to a snow storm since every plane there is in fact THERE, while the planes in ATL come from around the globe, where the weather may not be as bad. While ATL can have bad weather and incoming flights are obviously delayed, New York has a higher chance of bad weather in the winter than ATL does.

But the correct answer is always ATL, because if you allow a long enough layover, you can have a lovely meal at One Flew South. :D
Definitely the "hidden" gem for dining at ATL. It's not the usual "grab 'n go", and far better than Chili's in A.

Oh boy this was a fun read so far lol Ok the details you wanted.....

Flight would be from SYR (Syracuse NY) and would involve a layover in either LGA or LTL then on to Miami.

I'm not brave enough to plan a vacation that involves driving or flying out of NY in the winter months. My question applies to April and October cruises. We stay 2 days pre-cruise and fly back home after we debark the ship.

The prices are similar and my main concern was the delays in flights due to air traffic and overall ease of both airports. A basic preference of one airport over the other.

Sorry to have elicited so many speculations :)

Of course, you do realize (don't you?) that every plane out of LGA will be grounded in the event of the airport being shut down due to a snow storm since every plane there is in fact THERE, while the planes in ATL come from around the globe, where the weather may not be as bad. While ATL can have bad weather and incoming flights are obviously delayed, New York has a higher chance of bad weather in the winter than ATL does.

Yes of course. My point was simply that any airport can be affected by weather anywhere in the country, and at any time of year; snow and ice aren't the only weather considerations. Fog and thunderstorms also come to mind. Some airports are at risk of being affected worse than others at various times of year, but a flight from DAL-ATL can be adversely affected by weather in SEA, or a BOS-PHL can be affected by weather at MIA in the spring, etc. etc. Not everyone immediately realizes that. Glad you do.

Archived