Did you consider Windstar?

I just assumed PG was the only small ship doing Tahiti but stumbled across Windstar today on my travel agent's site. I've done a little research on PG but not much on Windstar.

Wondering if anyone here has sailed both lines? When you were planning your trip, did you consider Windstar? Any selling points over PG?

Thanks!

Edited by micmacmissy
typo

Discussed previously in several threads. You can do a search to pull them up. Here's a couple:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2064920

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2038305&highlight=windstar

Keep in mind, most people posting have not sailed on both ships in FP. There are some inaccurate comments in some posts.

I prefer Windstar. You can read discussions also in the Windstar forums.

Edited by 6rugrats

Yes, it was especially ridiculous as most of the people doing this hadn't been on both cruise lines.

I would never say either line is a "luxury" cruise line. Found service on Windstar far superior to PG. I also prefer the smaller ships. Read the information about both lines and decide what would suit you better.

My PG cruise was not bad and I would go again, but I think we'll be doing some longer term island stays next time. I've never sailed Windstar so I can't compare them.

As for PG being considered luxury? It's not. I compared it to the quality of a Royal Caribbean cruise in terms of luxury. It's a nice small ship, the staff is friendly, and it's all inclusive, but it's not luxury. I'd call it more upscale casual. The destination is the luxury part of it.

My PG cruise was not bad and I would go again, but I think we'll be doing some longer term island stays next time. I've never sailed Windstar so I can't compare them.

As for PG being considered luxury? It's not. I compared it to the quality of a Royal Caribbean cruise in terms of luxury. It's a nice small ship, the staff is friendly, and it's all inclusive, but it's not luxury. I'd call it more upscale casual. The destination is the luxury part of it.

This.

I have sailed both lines. I'd also point out that one of the posters on that other thread has been banned from these boards because of their aggression towards anyone who dared say anything negative about the Paul Gauguin and a seemingly pathological need to promote the Paul Gauguin and overlook any of it's shortcomings.

There were some things we enjoyed about the Paul Gauguin. They did a fantastic job with our vow renewal, and the shore excursions with mark Eddowes and Dr. Poole were wonderful. All that aside, having sailed BOTH LINES, the Windstar product is much better in terms of food, service, and overall enjoyment. Even little things like being able to get room service delivered poolside (they won't do it on the PG) made a huge difference in our enjoyment of the ship.

The service and food on the PG were mass market. If you are OK with that you'll probably enjoy it. We didn't find them to be at the luxury level.

I have sailed the PG and Tahitian Princess in FP. The PG with its smaller size and immersion with the Tahitian culture was far superior. Last year I had the pleasure of seeing the Windstar in Bora Bora. The ship looked spectacular and right at home in the bay. Was waiting for Fletcher Christian to disembark.

While waiting for the PG tender we chatted with passengers waiting for their tender to the Windstar. They were very interested in our experiences on the PG. While they were enjoying FP they were not satisfied with their ship and mentioned that their next trip to FP they would try the PG. I don't recall all that they said but they seemed disappointed.

Again this is anecdotal information. I do not recall any postings from one who sailed both ships in FP.

My next cruise will be with the PG as they have consistently delivered a superior vacation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Forums mobile app

Yes PG versus Windstar certainly generates heat with some posters statements clearly being made on the basis of rose tinted glasses in favour of one cruise line and not the other - it definitely cuts both ways.

From my research and experience I was very happy with my choice of PG. it is always possible to find fault but I prefer to focus on enjoyment when on holiday.

...I prefer to focus on enjoyment when on holiday.

I am the same way! We don't get to vacation very much, so when we do, I tend to appreciate every moment, and I think overlook/excuse things that maybe others wouldn't.

I'm sure if I were lucky enough to cruise several times a year, my standards might be a little higher!

In any case, I'm researching both lines but so far leaning toward PG...it seems a little more culturally engaging, which is my #1 priority. And if I'm being honest, I really, really want a balcony since this is a milestone trip! :)

The decision was easy for us . Our first cruise will be in the fall of 2016..a balcony always rules over anything else...I hear all the stories...get a cheaper room and go twice,....I need fresh air and a balcony...can't wait to have an occasional breakfast and dinner out there...we also booked an aft cabin for increased space

The wind star looks fantastic and we are very excited to cruise on the Paul Gauguin next year

Some people seem to mistakenly feel that "all inclusive" means luxury.

Some people seem to mistakenly feel that "all inclusive" means luxury.

I don't think RZ3 was saying that at all. He was in the same cruise that I was, and I wasn't there because the cruise was "all inclusive." Like him, I relied on the marketing materials that refereed to the ship as luxury. Like him, I found it to be overall a mass market experience.

I don't think RZ3 was saying that at all. He was in the same cruise that I was, and I wasn't there because the cruise was "all inclusive." Like him, I relied on the marketing materials that refereed to the ship as luxury. Like him, I found it to be overall a mass market experience.

To me, a mass market experience is Royal Caribbean or Celebrity...and we enjoyed those cruises, especially for the price!

But on PG, we'd only be onboard with about 300 passengers, no one is trying to sell us a $12.95 souvenir drink of the day cup, and the staff to passenger ratio is much lower will certainly feel luxurious!

To me, a mass market experience is Royal Caribbean or Celebrity...and we enjoyed those cruises, especially for the price!

But on PG, we'd only be onboard with about 300 passengers, no one is trying to sell us a $12.95 souvenir drink of the day cup, and the staff to passenger ratio is much lower will certainly feel luxurious!

I'm with you. The Gauguin is not a mass market experience in that respect at all.

Here's what makes the PG luxury for me: an upscale but relaxed dining experience with generally very good food, and wine flowing as freely as you wish; an intimate atmosphere where staff learn your name and service is attentive and with a smile. The staff really make the PG a luxury experience, for me.

The cabins are small by luxury standards, but are very well designed--I love those little cabins. Now I admit that the Wind Spirit has a sound dock in the rooms, which is very classy, but the cabins look quite small, smaller than the PG?

Not everyone chooses a cruise for "price." My vacation time is limited and I'm happy to spend a higher amount to get a better than mass market experience. but I don't want to be told an experience will be luxury when it is not.

Have you actually sailed the PG?

I'm with you. The Gauguin is not a mass market experience in that respect at all.

Here's what makes the PG luxury for me: an upscale but relaxed dining experience with generally very good food, and wine flowing as freely as you wish; an intimate atmosphere where staff learn your name and service is attentive and with a smile. The staff really make the PG a luxury experience, for me.

The cabins are small by luxury standards, but are very well designed--I love those little cabins. Now I admit that the Wind Spirit has a sound dock in the rooms, which is very classy, but the cabins look quite small, smaller than the PG?

The cabins are about 20 s/f larger on the PG, but the layout isn't as well planned so they don't feel any bigger. The PG rooms do have a tub, although we prefer a shower that doesn't need to be stepped into on a ship, so that was an (albeit minor) detraction for us.

Both have good quality linens and the same toiletries, although there were a few things included on Windstar that weren't on the PG--shower poufs maybe? I honestly can't recall right now but I do remember that there was more included as far as bathroom amenities on Windstar. Climate control is much, MUCH better on Windstar. The cabins are also quieter in our experience on Windstar--our cabin on the PG was loud, and we aren't particularly sensitive to noise.

My experience having sailed both lines is that food and service were overall much better on Windstar. We preferred the cabin layouts on Windstar, it was a pain having to constantly climb over my husband to get into the closet if we were both trying to get dressed at the same time. That isn't a problem on Windstar as the closets aren't blocked by the bed.

We didn't realize how much we had enjoyed the docking station on Windstar until we didn't have it on the PG. It seemed kind of "cheap" that they only put them in the suites on what is supposed to be a luxury ship--that's the type of thing I'm referring to as "mass market" and it was those little things that added up.

Everyone has their own threshold as to what defines luxury for them. I would not use mass-market to describe either the service or the food or the ambiance on the PG. The PG however has been luxurious for me - on everyone of my PG cruises I have felt pampered.

Would it be nice to have music in the cabin. Sure. Is it a deal breaker.....no. We use the cabin minimally preferring to spend time on deck. Other things which seem to be very important to some, such as bath products, are irrelevant to me....bring my own.

PG provides me with attentive and personal service throughout the cruise. The service combined with the food and wine and all inclusive drinks, well it's a winner.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Forums mobile app

Not everyone chooses a cruise for "price." My vacation time is limited and I'm happy to spend a higher amount to get a better than mass market experience. but I don't want to be told an experience will be luxury when it is not.

Have you actually sailed the PG?

For our family, while our kids are young and still vacationing with us, we DO look at the price! Our time is also limited...but sadly, so is our budget! ;)

We have not yet sailed PG...we are in the planning stages for our 20th anniversary trip. (We are exploring a few options: Windstar, PG, Celebrity Xpedition/Galpagos, possibly a land trip to Europe.) My point was just that for us, compared to our other cruises, I think PG will be a step up in luxury compared to mass market lines (our only cruising experience!)

For those who sail Crystal, Seabourne, Regent, etc...then I agree, maybe PG is not "luxury".

Edited by micmacmissy

Everyone has their own threshold as to what defines luxury for them. I would not use mass-market to describe either the service or the food or the ambiance on the PG. The PG however has been luxurious for me - on everyone of my PG cruises I have felt pampered.

Would it be nice to have music in the cabin. Sure. Is it a deal breaker.....no. We use the cabin minimally preferring to spend time on deck. Other things which seem to be very important to some, such as bath products, are irrelevant to me....bring my own.

PG provides me with attentive and personal service throughout the cruise. The service combined with the food and wine and all inclusive drinks, well it's a winner.

Music in the cabin: not a priority. My day to day life is filled with "noise"...I prefer quiet, or the sound of the waves!

I agree completely...someone is making my bed, cooking and serving my meals, and getting me drinks without me having to sign slips...to me, that's luxury! ;)

We didn't realize how much we had enjoyed the docking station on Windstar until we didn't have it on the PG. It seemed kind of "cheap" that they only put them in the suites on what is supposed to be a luxury ship....

Yeah, they got that from Regent, alas. I've experienced the same disappointment on their ships in the past, as well as Oceania. We now have a little speaker that connects to my ipod, very light and not much bigger than a couple of packs of cards. But I do agree it's cheap not to have them available in all cabins.

And, this is a great example of how two people's cruise experience may differ. I found the service on PG to be poor and the opposite of attentive. I am not a picky person, don't expect perfection on any vacation, but sometimes to get anything on PG was impossible.

To get wine at dinner, as I mentioned in my review, I finally gave up, and would take my glass and walk out to the bar and get a refill. No staff, who looked at me, ever asked me what I was doing. This is just one example. I considered service less then any service I've received on any other cruise, including two HAL cruises. I am not questioning that other people had a different experience. I can only report on mine.

I could care less abut a sound dock, but there was nothing wrong with the cabins on the PG, and the Wind Spirit cabins feel much the same size. I would say the PG cabin felt a bit run down, but I don't know when it was last refurbished, and the last Windstar cruise I was on was right after the cabins had been redone.

That really is very strange. I have been on 5 PG cruises and never had to find wine! Sound docks - there are tens of thousands out there totally obsolete - if you have an iPhone 5 or 6 you have to buy a $30 adaptor from the Apple store. I doubt we will ever see a dock again.

Adidas4fun -

We seem to recall that you booked a Grand Suite. Just curious if you considered it luxurious in any way??

To me the word luxury is over used and bordering on meaningless these days. I have seen places advertise themselves as luxurious when they would be several steps down from my own living situation.

A number of times on this board I have seen people post about how their requests on the PG were met with a "no", that certainly never happened to us. Was it because we were in a suite? I suspect in part it was, we only had to say to our butler we were thinking of dining that night in a different restaurant or some other possible request and wheels would quietly turn and later I would be asked if I wished to go ahead, if I said yes the answer was immediately "everything has been prepared for you". (Except for my food and I did a thread about that.)

I have stayed in more expensive accomodations and had worse service, I have stayed in cheaper places and had better service. Cruise wise this was the most expensive I have done (on a per day basis) and overall I was very happy with my experience. I would consider cruising with PG again.

In the end I check out proposed places and find the positives that match my requirements and ensure the negatives arent deal breakers and then I get on with enjoying myself. I rarely complain but may ask staff if perhaps something could be done about X or Y. Other people on cruises or at resorts are sometimes frustrated at how seemingly easily I get what I want.